Yooka-Laylee: General Discussion Thread

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Spydr Webz

Re: Yooka-Laylee: General Discussion Thread

Postby Spydr Webz » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:07 am

EekumBokum202 wrote:Though it's here I'm starting to notice something... the NPCs in each world are either in every world (Trowzer, Vendi, Rextro, Kartos, Planker, and that skeleton girl I'm not sure the name of at the moment, that whole thing), the boss of the world, or there are similar "types" of that character. With World 2 it's snowmen, World 3
it's shopping carts (for some reason) and pumpkins
, and it looks like with world 4 it's
slot machines
. World 1 is the only one I've seen so far with a variety of NPCs, what with "the Duke", Nimble and Nimbo the clouds, the Knights of Hamalot, Shovel Knight, etc. It's fine, the characters are still fun and interesting, to me anyway, and it's not like there are EXCLUSIVELY those kinds of characters in each world, I do encounter unique characters besides those, but I still couldn't help but notice the repeats...

THIS. This is a point I stress in every thread where it's relevant (this and problems with level design and story execution).

I'll just tell you, it doesn't get better. Some character you thought were gone will turn up again. And as far as character variation goes, World 1 is as good as it gets. The re-used character variations (like the snowmen and the slot bandits) bother me. There are also no world-exclusive enemies.

And about Rextro, I'm not sure how to feel. I LOVE the character. He's awesome. His mini-games... not so much. I hope he comes back in future games in some capacity.

I know I sound like I complain a lot on here, but I really do love the game! Just doing my part as a fan and giving feedback!

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:57 am

I never played Twooie to understand the problem. Is is that more of Kotaku pretending to be a credible site?

FailureFactory

Postby FailureFactory » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:50 pm

Yes, the number of different NPCs in YL is really small. There are no more than 6 conceptually different enemies in YL, and of the non-enemy NPCs, more are reused in at least three levels than there are unique ones.

Kazooie gave you ghosts, termites, "Groblin Hood", crabs, piranhas, treasure chests, mummy hands, bees, flesh-eating plants, walking gravestones, bats, explosive boxes, mines, jumping shells, bulls, frogs, life preservers, sharks, dung beetles, mosquitos, eels living in walls, hunched servants, skelletons, ice cubes, snowmen, whip things... And I haven't even named variants like portrait chomper, mummies, shipmates and others, which are variations but still possess their unique sounds and death animations.

Just no competition.

Pgcrooner

Postby Pgcrooner » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:36 pm

I have to say though despite some of the shortcomings of this game it's still really good. It's the closest thing to a classic 3D platformer we have gotten in recent years and it feels more like B-K that B-K:nut&bolts ever was.

And just imagine, it only took a year and a half from concept to release. That's an incredible turnaround!

With some work and polish this series will rival the classics!

EekumBokum202

Postby EekumBokum202 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:24 am

Made more progress in Yooka-Laylee! Finding the Ghost Writers in world 4 was surprisingly easy, though the transformation of that world definitely helped. I like the gimmick of
trading tokens for Pagies
as well, it adds a nice change of pace to the game.

And now that I've played Kartos's and Rextro's minecart ride and mini-game respectively, my feelings on them and their segments of the game are starting to solidify. Kartos this time was difficult, but while I was definitely annoyed, it was more dumb mistakes and blunders on my part than anything wrong with the minecart ride itself, which incidentally, I think I'm getting used to the controls now. I think I liked this better because it actually felt challenging, like I had to actually be careful this time and use every ability I have at my disposal. That's kind of a problem I had with the previous Kartos segments, it barely felt like how good I was mattered because I could easily get enough gems by the end. Yeah, it can be frustrating at times, but that's kind of the point of a challenge, isn't it? The important thing is not for the challenge to be cheap or badly designed, and while there are a few problems with Kartos's segments, I think they're overall alright... Then again, I still have one more world to go...

By the way, I LOVE that finishing Kartos's minecart ride immediately leads into
the boss fight of that world! Some security robot attacks since apparently you can't get Pagies unless it's traded for tokens in this world (weird, though, no one got on Rextro's case or the Ghost Writers for giving me a Pagie). The boss fight was fun, I really liked it, almost as much as the previous boss fight, though there was quite a bit of trial and error since I didn't know the boss's attack patterns.

Lastly, there's Rextro's mini-game for this world. I kept hearing how THIS mini-game is the worst, or at least the most agonizing. Honestly, it wasn't that bad. Again, it's challenging, even a bit frustrating at times, but it never got cheap or too annoying. In fact, dare I say, it might be my second favorite after world 2's mini-game. Really, none of the mini-games I've played so far were as difficult to play as world 1's, which was hard to control in general.

So yeah, unless world 5's minecart ride and mini-game is absolute garbage, I think I'll stand by my sentiment that the hate behind Kartos and Rextro is a bit exaggerated.

Speaking of world 5, I opened it up and I like the idea of
combining outer space and seafaring themes like this.
I didn't make it that far, but I DID unlock the transformation, and while at first I wasn't too impressed, I loved the attacks that came with it. Even though you're limited to
just sailing on the "water", I still found myself having fun with the transformation!
This might be my favorite transformation in the game, in fact... Though that's not saying much, the only other transformations I really liked were world 3 and 4's, 3 because it's just a cool concept and 4 because of how useful it was for exploring and destroying those dang sentry bots!

Lastly, I have to say, controlling the flying is a pain in the ass. I don't have anything to say that can really improve upon it, but frequently I find myself flying around in circles trying to get a single Quill! Maybe there's something I'm doing wrong, but until then, I feel like I'll resort to flying only if I have to.
...A Man can dream... Project Dream, that is.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”