Yooka-Laylee: General Discussion Thread

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Scrubber

Re: Yooka-Laylee: General Discussion Thread

Postby Scrubber » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:45 pm

In a section of Glitterglaze Glacier (sorry if thats wrong) there are many signposts all with "a person's name" company. Who are all these people? Did they pledge to get their names in the game? Are they devs family members? Are they jokes that I dont get? Who are these people?

travisschultz95

Postby travisschultz95 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:08 pm

Scrubber wrote:In a section of Glitterglaze Glacier (sorry if thats wrong) there are many signposts all with "a person's name" company. Who are all these people? Did they pledge to get their names in the game? Are they devs family members? Are they jokes that I dont get? Who are these people?

My first thought was that it was a Kickstarter Reward for backers of a certain level but I don't know if that's true.

JSPro

Postby JSPro » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:32 pm

So I got 100 pages and beat the final boss. Happy to say the Capital Bee fight did not disappoint. Easily the best boss in the game on par with the final Grunty battles.

Also glad that the difficulty is ramping up around this point. I still have over 40 pages to collect and about half of those I have no idea how to obtain.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:45 pm

The controls for the second transformation might be the worst thing I've ever experienced. It's been a long time since a game made me so angry :x

Pokemaniac Dan

Postby Pokemaniac Dan » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:47 pm

Taylor wrote:I know the pull to try and finish everything when you first come across it, but I really would advise coming back when you've learnt a few more helpful moves! I think I ended up flying across most of the cave... :oops:

Am I the only one who didn't find this challenge that difficult? The slower you go, the easier it is. If your eye sight is on point, when your glow runs out, you can still faintly make out the platforms.

I did, however, wait until I could fly to cross that spinny pipe room in Glitterglaze Glacier (RBB Engine Room flashback).

After doing the first three worlds, I was worried the difficulty level wasn't enough for me. Then I got to Capital Cashino and wow there are some difficult portions to this. Kartos was difficult and so was the boss fight. Took my several hours just to do all (I think) of the first part of the level pre-expansion.

travisschultz95 wrote:Does anyone know how the "Hunter" Tonic works? It's supposed to help hunt for "important items" but I can't tell if it's an audio or visual cue or whathaveyou. Also is it reffering to Pagies? Quills? otherthings...?

You will hear a whistle when you are in the general vicinity of a rare item. The whistle gets louder the closer you get. This works for the Power Extenders as well as the Butterfly extender. I'm not sure if it works for quills or pagies, as I haven't tried it for those (haven't really needed to yet).

Scrubber wrote:The controls for the second transformation might be the worst thing I've ever experienced. It's been a long time since a game made me so angry :x

Lol, I agree with you on that. It was frustrating in one particular area that required precision. But if you think that's rough, wait until you can fly :x

On the topic of transformations, world 3 has my favorite - I just wish it was needed for more.

sonicblur111

Postby sonicblur111 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:06 pm

Played a bit more this evening, capital cashino is interesting, it seems a lot is saved for the expanded version on this world or I just missed some stuff. Unlocked world 5 had a brief look seems very cool and can't wait to explore it more.

Also looking at the achievement unlock percentages is interesting, seems quite a lot of players are expanding a world. I still haven't expanded any yet.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:16 am

Pokemaniac Dan wrote:
travisschultz95 wrote:Does anyone know how the "Hunter" Tonic works? It's supposed to help hunt for "important items" but I can't tell if it's an audio or visual cue or whathaveyou. Also is it reffering to Pagies? Quills? otherthings...?

You will hear a whistle when you are in the general vicinity of a rare item. The whistle gets louder the closer you get. This works for the Power Extenders as well as the Butterfly extender. I'm not sure if it works for quills or pagies, as I haven't tried it for those (haven't really needed to yet).

It's an audio clue that gets louder the closer you are to the object.

It does work for quills. If you are missing a couple, for example, it whistles as you approach them -- it's really helpful!

Although I'm not sure if it prioritises rarer items before quills. E.g. if you are missing a Power Extender as well as quills, I'm not sure if it whistles for the quills in this case. I couldn't work out how it was working exactly, but it definitely helped me.
Taylonic Ltd.

bjaxx87

Postby bjaxx87 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:20 am

Pokemaniac Dan wrote:Am I the only one who didn't find this challenge that difficult? The slower you go, the easier it is. If your eye sight is on point, when your glow runs out, you can still faintly make out the platforms.

I don't know... maybe I was too obsessed with reaching that pagie. The darkness wasn't a problem for me but 2 sections of the cave really drove me nuts (both shown on screenshots in my previous post). If you have trouble passing section 1 you really get nervous about section 2 - both need a lot of concentration and dexterity. If you get too slow - you lose control, if you try to change the direction while rolling - you lose control, if you jump at the wrong time in the wrong direction - you lose control! :D And as mentioned before sometimes Yooka wouldn't even jump at section 1 and roll straight into the abyss (I blame the snow). I think it took me 2-3 hours to get that pagie... In theory I knew what to do but I greatly lacked in the necessary dexterity. Thankfully I realized that you don't have to roll down section 2, you can double jump and then hold A to slowly land on the moving platform.

However, I'm really really enjoying Yooka-Laylee and think it will keep me busy for weeks (if not months)! I'm at 6-7 hours now with 18 pagies, so it sure will take me a lot longer than Taylor (40 hours) to complete it. :D But that's great because I will savour every moment of it..., it feels so surreal to finally play a true Rare-style 3D jump 'n run again including familiar music, humour and exploration-driven platforming - a little more than 2 years ago we had completely lost hope to ever get a game like this again... So thank you Playtonic! :) This game is all I ever hoped for and I look forward to your future projects!

And damn..., I'm playing on my PC (which is connected to my TV) with an Xbox 360 controller..., I chose the highest settings and it looks absolutely gorgeous! A Wii U version would have been a massive downgrade so I think it was a wise decision to move on to Nintendo Switch. Back in the day Rare always had the most graphical impressive games and it seems Playtonic continues that trend. (Or can you name even one game with cartoon graphics that is on par to Yooka-Laylee?)

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:22 am

Just beat the game. The final boss far exceeded my expectations, a pleasant surprise after being disappointed by BOTW's final boss.
DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

Pokemaniac Dan

Postby Pokemaniac Dan » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:46 pm

Taylor wrote:It's an audio clue that gets louder the closer you are to the object.

It does work for quills. If you are missing a couple, for example, it whistles as you approach them -- it's really helpful!

Although I'm not sure if it prioritises rarer items before quills. E.g. if you are missing a Power Extender as well as quills, I'm not sure if it whistles for the quills in this case. I couldn't work out how it was working exactly, but it definitely helped me.

Do you know if it works for the secret treasures? I want to search for the ones I'm missing before beating the game, but don't know if I'm wasting my time with this tonic since I'll really just be listening as opposed to really traversing and looking around a level.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:18 pm

Pokemaniac Dan wrote:Do you know if it works for the secret treasures? I want to search for the ones I'm missing before beating the game, but don't know if I'm wasting my time with this tonic since I'll really just be listening as opposed to really traversing and looking around a level.

I tested this last week; it does not work on secret treasure.
Taylonic Ltd.

Pokemaniac Dan

Postby Pokemaniac Dan » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:26 pm

Taylor wrote:I tested this last week; it does not work on secret treasure.

Ah, crud! lol

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:00 pm

Pokemaniac Dan wrote:Ah, crud! lol

Capital Cashino was the worst for me. I looked everywhere... :cry: Obvious in hindsight, however. Don't give up! :D
Taylonic Ltd.

travisschultz95

Postby travisschultz95 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:01 pm

Finally reached the Toybox Secret.
Dialogue is 50.1%? I'm assuming I need to finish or 100% the game, or it has something to do with teh skulls... very interesting!

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:05 pm

travisschultz95 wrote:Finally reached the Toybox Secret.
Dialogue is 50.1%? I'm assuming I need to finish or 100% the game, or it has something to do with teh skulls... very interesting!

Nothing happens with this. We need to wait for a patch -- it's a future secret.

Telling you now so that you're not disappointed like I was! :lol:
Taylonic Ltd.

Pokemaniac Dan

Postby Pokemaniac Dan » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:09 pm

Taylor wrote:
Pokemaniac Dan wrote:Ah, crud! lol

Capital Cashino was the worst for me. I looked everywhere... :cry: Obvious in hindsight, however. Don't give up! :D

Lol, that was the one that I found easily. Stumbled upon it without looking, but it helped that I was missing 5 tokens and couldn't find Lady Lootsalot so needed to explore every area five times over. I also feel like Capital Cashino may be simple because the level is contained inside four walls, whereas the other levels are very open and can be meticulously traversed with hidden coves and platforms.

Never would have gotten Glitterglaze Glacier's if I hadn't accidentally stumbled upon a spoiler on reddit :(

The search continues for all the others!

travisschultz95

Postby travisschultz95 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:15 pm

Taylor wrote:
travisschultz95 wrote:Finally reached the Toybox Secret.

Nothing happens with this. We need to wait for a patch -- it's a future secret.

Telling you now so that you're not disappointed like I was! :lol:

I figured it's like a Stop n Swop situation where this is only the first piece of the puzzle anyway. I'm sure there's something going on that no one has discovered yet though, some sort of clue (or perhaps red herring...)

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:42 pm

Or that's where they're going to slot in the start of the DLC.
Make the forum great again.

Omega

Postby Omega » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:09 am

That red ghost writer in the last world took me an hour to find... very well hidden. And I didnt have any problems with the "1 quill" in Tribalstack Tropics... lucky me :D

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:27 am

Last night I left the game in the third world. Just started up again now and I'm back in hivory towers. Not too happy about that :/

Question. Something keeps wold whistling at me, wtf is it? I'm in the first room of hivory towers with the big golden statue, there's nothing in here but something somewhere is whistling at me????

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”