Wishes For Twooka Laylee (Non official name)

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
KomaruTheHylian

Wishes For Twooka Laylee (Non official name)

Postby KomaruTheHylian » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:00 pm

Overall, I really enjoyed the game but there is some things I think can be improved.

First being more imagination. What i mean by this is meeting characters like clanker the giant metal shark, platforming on a giant snowman in freezeezy peak, platforming in a giant piano room, experiencing a world in 4 different seasons, etc. Just things that make the world a lot more wacky.

Second would be the characters (really the side characters like the snowmen, slot machine guys, and the pigs).
Wish they would have more variety like congo, humba wumba, gnawty, seals, polar bears, and such.

That being said, what are some things you guys are wishing for in a sequel?

Omega

Re: Wishes For Twooka Laylee (Non official name)

Postby Omega » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:23 pm

1. 2 or 3 more worlds
2. More Pagies to get using the transformations
3. Same amount of backtracking (it was pretty good in YL, nothing too tedious like Tooie or DK64)
4. More animations for the characters in the cutscenes

I totally LOVE Yooka Laylee, I hope they make a great sequel in the future. I am excited to see what they do as DLC though :D

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:19 pm

Things I WOULD bring back.
*Expandable worlds
*Tonics

Things I WOULDN'T bring back.
*Arcade mini games
*Mine Kart segments

For a start I NEED a story with heart to feel fully connected to a game. In Kazooie you care about getting Banjos sister back and kicking Gruntildas arse. In Tooie you care about saving your friends lives. Both the story's in these games were presented with amazing cinematic cutscenes where you really felt the drama.
In Yooka Laylee there was no heart or reason to care about anything in the cutscene. The plot is lame and the cutscenes have no "feel" to them whatsoever. I need a good story next time please.

Really liking the level design and platforming gameplay. As far as adventuring and platforming go Y-L is a 10/10. So more of this.

The Boss fights in y-l aren't good at all in my opinion. They seem so rushed together, this might have been to stick to deadlines. The first 2 boss fights were walls.... walls! I think the guys need to go back to Tooie and DK64 and just look at what makes a really good boss fight.

A wider range of characters would be preferable, rather than the same ones being used in every world. Other than Trowzer and Puzz, characters shouldn't be recurring.

Hopix

Postby Hopix » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:27 pm

I was looking forward to this thread being made.

The main one for me would be 3 more worlds, so the total would be 8.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:26 am

I wish that Twooka Laylee is the official name. Followed by Yooka Laythree.

I liked the boss from the Marsh. The wall bosses are forgettable, agreed. For worlds I'd like to see 7-8. I don't have any problems with the worlds in YL1 but if they stayed about the same size and kept improving (like these guys do with experience) I guess that'd be my ideal.
Make the forum great again.

BanjoThreeie

Postby BanjoThreeie » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:50 am

These are a few things I'd like to see in a future platformer from Playtonic.

• No backtracking

A cool staple to the Banjo Kazooie franchise is that you don't have to completely finish a level before moving on to the next. However, this should be done by the player's own discretion and not forced by the game. For those who have already finished the game, it becomes a chore having to go back to do something you already know how to do, but just don't have the correct tools for. It's also annoying when you don't know what to do and end up spending 20 or 30 minutes trying to figure out how to get an item that's inaccessible with your current moveset.

• Smaller, but more worlds

In most cases, bigger is better, but that's just not the case with the worlds in Yooka Laylee. After spending an hour or two in one, I start to get tired of seeing the same scenery and want to go to a new one, but you can only do that 4 times before running out of worlds to go to. Then you have to go back to worlds you've already been to and gotten tired of to get enough collectibles to finish the game. It's not that the ideas of the worlds in Yooka Laylee are bad, it's just that spending too much time in them can become tiring. After finishing a world, it's better to leave players wanting more than to leave them completely burned out, and making them smaller is the best way to do that. The worlds in Banjo Kazooie are perfect, in my opinion. I always feel very satisfied after finishing one and wouldn't even mind exploring a bit more if there were more stuff to do.

• Get rid of world expansions

World expansions were not a good idea. The first time I played through Tribalstack Tropics, I frequently made it to places you would normally expect to find things, but found strange dead ends instead. After navigating my way through the perils of Rampo's fortress, all I found were 3 quills that I couldn't even get without the tail jump you get later in the game. The same thing happened after I climbed up the bridges that were supposed to lead to a mountain. I searched that area for 10 minutes because it seemed absurd that those bridges led to absolutely nothing. The worlds are so big anyway that after getting as many Pagies as you can in the unexpanded versions, you probably won't be wanting to see them again.

• More logic

I realize this is a video game, but some of the logic in this game is absolutely ridiculous. Yooka is a lizard. Lizards can walk on walls. So why on earth does he roll into a ball to go up ramps? Better yet, how on earth can he stand still on a ramp in ball form? Why is it that a sonar blast can break glass, but a grenade can't? Why is it that you can only absorb the properties of certain kinds of fires? Why is it that being metal makes you immune to gusts of air, but your speed and jump height are unaffected?

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:57 am

Banjo Kazooie actually does have backtracking. Between Gobi's Valley and Freezeezy. Both levels require an element of the other. I'd like to see them keep the backtracking, and add interconnections between the required worlds like how Tooie had. Chuffy, the water pipes often connected, etc. If they added fast connections between the worlds that backtrack to each other people would mind less. I actually found myself really missing the teleport pads and molehills that you can use in Tooie to get around. Or at least Dingpot. Getting around Hivery Towers is kind of tedious.
Make the forum great again.

KomaruTheHylian

Postby KomaruTheHylian » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:56 am

Scrubber wrote:Things I WOULDN'T bring back.
*Arcade mini games
*Mine Kart segments

Agreed. Would be nice if Kartos games were limited or just mini games.
Same for Rextro.

KomaruTheHylian

Postby KomaruTheHylian » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:58 am

What did you guys think about the Quiz from Dr Quack?
Seemed like a big issue for some. Personally i thought they should've did it like Kazooie where it was an end game thing before the final boss.

bigfanofoldrare

Postby bigfanofoldrare » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:38 am

I am at 63 paggies in 18 hours.. just to mean how the game is long ( that a nice thing)..

the game is super fun but i will give thing i would like to change..

- like someone said.. smaller world but more world.

- sometime quill are in like in event of paggies.. its not fun to have to restart doing a paggie just to get the quill.

- transformation would be better in a house.. i find something is less fun with transformation with this one.

- that really personaal , but i don't like one of the last technic..
the one who make you can fly where you want.. i find it make some thing too easy when you go back in map..

- for some it was bad.. for some it was good.. but i miss thing like egg, runing shoes..

i will try to give more.. but for now that the point i would improve..

honestly i love a ton yooka-laylee, but i prefer bk,bt and dk64 honestly :|

LDK777

Postby LDK777 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:39 am

1. More worlds. 5 is simply not enough. Even though they were big and interesting, nothing is more interesting than variety. 10 medium sized worlds is better than 5 gigantic world's.

2. Better story and characters. The story was pathetic. At no point did I feel any interest in the characters or their motivations. The characters also showed very little personality. Overall this aspect felt very bland compared to the BK games.

3. Slightly more challenge. I'd say 90% of the pagies were trivially easy to collect. While a majority of them need to be for design sake, I'd like the ratio to be slightly more skewed towards challenging ones (maybe 80-20).

4. More adult innuendo. There was way less hidden adult humor than old Rare games. Need to turn that up a bit.

5. The idea of forced backtracking turned out to be more frustrating than I thought. Being presented with puzzles you don't have the tools to solve yet is like an itch you can't scratch. I'd like future games for the levels to be hypotheically 100% completeable with the tools you have when you enter them (expanded or not).

Hopix

Postby Hopix » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:35 am

People keep saying smaller worlds, but more worlds. I don't think that should even be a compromise. I think next time they could easily manage 8 worlds at the same size, with the same amount of content.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:10 am

LDK777 wrote:1. More worlds. 5 is simply not enough. Even though they were big and interesting, nothing is more interesting than variety. 10 medium sized worlds is better than 5 gigantic world's.

2. Better story and characters. The story was pathetic. At no point did I feel any interest in the characters or their motivations. The characters also showed very little personality. Overall this aspect felt very bland compared to the BK games.

3. Slightly more challenge. I'd say 90% of the pagies were trivially easy to collect. While a majority of them need to be for design sake, I'd like the ratio to be slightly more skewed towards challenging ones (maybe 80-20).

4. More adult innuendo. There was way less hidden adult humor than old Rare games. Need to turn that up a bit.

5. The idea of forced backtracking turned out to be more frustrating than I thought. Being presented with puzzles you don't have the tools to solve yet is like an itch you can't scratch. I'd like future games for the levels to be hypotheically 100% completeable with the tools you have when you enter them (expanded or not).

1. Agree
2. MEGA agree
3. Not bothered
4. Agree
5. Not bothered

Y00kaz0013fanb0y

Postby Y00kaz0013fanb0y » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:16 am

I'd Want to see a Multiplayer Campaign where One Player could be Laylee and the Other Yooka, or Do like they did in Banjo-Tooie, and Have Yooka and Laylee split up and get More Moves they could only use Individually; or Have a high ranking member of V.I.L.E the Company that Capital B and Dr Quack work for be the MAIN Antagonist since Dr. Quack AND Capital B are Stuck in Some unknown Book thanks to Blasto the Loose Cannon
I, For One, Welcome the highly anticipated return of the 3d Collect-athon Platformer Genre of Video Games and will continue to support Playtonic no matter what

Yitsul

Postby Yitsul » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:20 pm

I'm waiting for the switch version but here's my list

-More worlds including
-A Desert world (Similar to Gobi's Valley)
-A Volcano/Lava world
-More varied enemies that make different sounds
-Bosses having their own room and looking more formidable
-Less vehicle based transformations

this one may be beyond the realm of possibility
Shantae making an appearance. (I wonder how Cristina Vee would do her voice BK/YL style)
Last edited by Yitsul on Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pokemaniac Dan

Postby Pokemaniac Dan » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:10 pm

I think generally speaking that Yooka Laylee was a fun game, but there were key elements that it lacked which I think could be improved upon should the team venture ahead with YL2 (though I don't think that'll be the next game they make).

I would agree mostly with the characters. I felt that the reason why people weren't clinging too much to the worlds is because there wasn't enough character within them. It didn't feel as though there was much life, like these worlds were organic that each character belonged in and lived their life. I think this is because of a couple of reasons. 1, like mentioned above, each world had the same character with just 3-5 different outfits on (snowmen in GG, shopping carts in MM, slot machines in CC, frogs in GG). There wasn't much variety in them, which just made the experience feel lifeless. And 2, the worlds exist within books. How does one travel from one book to another? What books are we reading/entering? Books are stories, and each world should have a story, characters within it to tell stories, and something to build up to. No character in any of the worlds really had a story to tell (Shovel Knight and the pigs are the closest to this). Which brings me to my next point...

Villains. Each world had a boss, but if we're in book worlds, shouldn't those bosses be villains of each world? Shouldn't they be universally known by other characters, and have more intricate designs? The bosses in YL, while in some ways fun to fight, lacked that life that the characters needed. Better world bosses are crucial going forward.

And yes, I agree the overall story needed more pizzazz. It didn't really make much sense that the book we own and are running after is the one that scattered its pagies everywhere because in the end, when we collect all the pagies, we have our book back. No need to go fight Capital B, right?

I think the expanded worlds were a great idea and really do tie into the book worlds. When a level looks unfinished it's because part of the book is missing. Put the pagies back, the book is complete, thus expanding the world. I would keep that idea going forward, but again, make sure the worlds are really within a book and have a story to them (and characters that exist within them).

So to recap, going forward to YL2, the things I think should be focused on most that would make the game better than the first are story, character, setting, and how they all tie into one another smoothly and organically. Oh, and transformations that actually require you to do more than one thing with them :?

Edit: I think the moveset worked well in this game, and agree that the flight may have been too easy once you got it. Perhaps put more of a limit on this move because if you go into a second game, wouldn't you already know how to fly? That may be a problem.

And one final thing lol, but the actions that end up changing a world (like making the cloud rain and creating a river) should actually have a purpose. I don't think that river in Tribalstack Tropics was even used for anything...
Last edited by Pokemaniac Dan on Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

yooka-dragon

Postby yooka-dragon » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:15 pm

To me :

3 worlds :

- World 6 : Desert World Gobi's Valley 2

- World 7 : Factory / farm world / rain world with gray clouds. Melancholy world like Spiller's Harbor but in a farm.

- World 8 : A Haunted Lava world with a witch in. A necromancian dark world with area of red and blue lava.

It stills a really haunted world, to me MoodyMaze Marsh is NOT a haunted world also his music is and there are a lot of pumpkins.

Overall, to me, the worlds ARE TOO BIG. 25 pagie is too much. We don't want to collect all. 20 pagies were ample enough. The worlds should be more little, I don't like expandable thing.

The transformations are NOT enough used. And we can't go to Hivory Towers with the transformations, the pagies in Hivory Towers are TOO EASY TO FIND. We could imaginate a pagie to get by using Pirate ship transformation, then piranha transformation, then snow plow, then Helicopter transformation, and at least the Yooka-Bush. Nothing of it.

And why we can't transforme in Yooka Bush in Galleon Galaxy or in Snow Plow in Moody Maze Marsh or in Hivory Towers to open doors ? It's too pity. In Banjo Kazooie it was better.

OTHER PROBLEM : The worlds are very too easy to find and to open, no challenge, why you put bases behind the books and why the bases aren't hidden in Hivory Towers ? Too easy.

Again a problem, the flap flight move. Why ? When you learn this move, you can get every pagies and go where you want nearly. It's very bad, it spoils the game. The moves of jump are unnecessary after having flap flight.

Some moves are not appropriate to a lizard, why he can't walk on the walls ? Why Laylee can't see with ultrasounds in the darks ? Overall some moves are good : sonar blast, sonar shield, tail jump but i'm a little disappointed.

There is a BIG problem with Capital B. He is great but he is not enough charismatic and fun that Gruntilda. Yooka and Laylee are looking for an expansive book, so they like money ? But Capital B too. The story is not good to me, i prefered rescue Tooty or revenge Bottles.

The number of worlds is not enough. I would prefer 8 real worlds than 5 big worlds.

The minigames are BAD.

There is no connection between the world like in Tooie.

The game is good because I'm fan, but I understand other people who doesn't like really Yooka-Laylee. This game seems not bee finished. But I thing the most weakness is THE size and the number of the worlds and flap flight move too easy. The difficulty of the game is too low, and the transformations are not enough used and mixed.

Finally i'm a little weakness by Yooka-Laylee

6.5/10

Exclusive Website on Yooka-Laylee, News rumors and complete wiki and walkthrough on Yooka-Laylee.

http://yookalaylee.fr

KomaruTheHylian

Postby KomaruTheHylian » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:20 pm

Pokemaniac Dan wrote: And 2, the worlds exist within books. How does one travel from one book to another? What books are we reading/entering? Books are stories, and each world should have a story, characters within it to tell stories, and something to build up to. No character in any of the worlds really had a story to tell (Shovel Knight and the pigs are the closest to this). Which brings me to my next point...

This right here. Very good point.

Langilol

Tooka-Laylee

Postby Langilol » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:34 pm

Loving Yooka-Layee lads, you did a great job and you delivered.

Now, *clears throat*, lets talk about a Sequel. As this game was a spiritual successor to Banjo-Kazooie, how about a spiritual successor to Banjo-Tooie? I mean a large open world with levels that somehow connect to each other and the geographical locations of them make sense (Isle O' Hags). Also something like Chuffy to create interesting interactions between worlds (God damn you for pulling that Bullsh*t in Grunty Industries, but it was bloody brilliant). Also the bosses of the worlds should feel more significant than in Yooka-Layee, since they seemed more like Mini-bosses than the memorable characters we got in Tooie, (My personal favorites being Welder and Mr. Patch).

As for the Title, please, please use Tooka-Laylee since it just fits perfectly :D. What do you others think? You want a Sequel, cus I sure as hell do!

PandaLover

Re: Tooka-Laylee

Postby PandaLover » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:58 pm

Yooka Laylee is alot more like Banjo Tooie than Banjo Kazooie.

Yooka and Tooie both have:
Large levels
lots of back tracking
bosses
lots of moves

Banjo Kazooie does not have these things. I think the biggest problem with this game is that it is basically a remake of Banjo Tooie, not Banjo Kazooie which is what people wanted. Tooie is widely considered to be the worst of the two games.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”