Secret Pirate Treasure (possible spoilers)

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Scrubber

Secret Pirate Treasure (possible spoilers)

Postby Scrubber » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:29 pm

Today i came across a "secret pirate treasure" collectable. This collectable is not listed in the totals menus. I got an achievement for collecting it, the achievement was previously secret. Yooka also hinted that there may be more pirate treasure In the other world's.

I haven't been using any online guides and I haven't even looked at the achievements so I had no idea of the things existence. You lot may already be in the know.

Anyway, I was wondering what they were for? Do they have a purpose? Are they just extra collectables with no use? Will they be used as a stop n swop?

Omega

Re: Secret Pirate Treasure (possible spoilers)

Postby Omega » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:03 pm

They have no purpose yet. Maybe for the next Yooka game, who knows.

LDK777

Postby LDK777 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:18 pm

I thought it was odd that nothing happened after you collect them all. I thought there would be some sort of explanation as to what they were or at least something.

As far as I can tell outside the trophies/achievements related to them, they have no purpose or impact on anything.

Rasmusic

Postby Rasmusic » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:09 am

Omega wrote:They have no purpose yet. Maybe for the next Yooka game, who knows.

They actually talked about bringing back Stop 'N' Swop.. Maybe this is it?
Yooka-Laylee HYPE :D

Listen to my music:
https://www.youtube.com/user/rasmusbek

Omega

Postby Omega » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:33 am

Rasmusic wrote:
Omega wrote:They have no purpose yet. Maybe for the next Yooka game, who knows.

They actually talked about bringing back Stop 'N' Swop.. Maybe this is it?

Yes I think it is! I think the pirate treasure will be explained/used in future Playtonic games :D

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:14 am

LDK777 wrote:I thought it was odd that nothing happened after you collect them all. I thought there would be some sort of explanation as to what they were or at least something.

As far as I can tell outside the trophies/achievements related to them, they have no purpose or impact on anything.

So for those on nintendo switch or pc it would be pointless searching for them.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:09 pm

Pointless, how so? You know a computer can look for information in other files right? It would be trivially easy for the next game to check your Yooka Laylee save folder for the presence of those pirate treasures.
Make the forum great again.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:08 pm

dotEXE wrote:Pointless, how so? You know a computer can look for information in other files right? It would be trivially easy for the next game to check your Yooka Laylee save folder for the presence of those pirate treasures.

No if they ARE for stop n swop then they absolutely aren't pointless to collect. I mean if (like Mumbos tokens) they don't count towards anything (apart from an achievement/trophy) then those on nintendo or gog wouldn't need to bother collecting them.

EekumBokum202

Postby EekumBokum202 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:38 am

I'm bumping this topic because I just went and found all the pirate treasure in the PC version of the game. I intend to do the same for the Switch version, once I get far enough into it. I'm also thinking about completing the game 100% now that I've had some time to cool off from my initial frustrations with the game.

Incidentally, I was wondering if Playtonic could update the "Totals" sub-menu with something that shows you've collected the Pirate Treasures. They did the same thing for Stop 'n Swap back in Banjo-Kazooie, even though they were supposed to be secret, too.

I hope there's a cool pay-off for these things... and I like the idea that there might be an ongoing pirate theme with the Yooka-Laylee series, should their be more games after this. I also like that one fan-theory that V.I.L.E. might actually be a group of pirates. I just think pirates are cool.

ShanPen

Postby ShanPen » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:05 pm

I found the 3rd world one first, then the 4th world one, and so figured there was one in each world and went searching for them all. I thought they might have had something to do with the Toybox secret so I was disappointed to go back to
secret I.N.E.P.T. just to have the character tell me "Still loading exposition... 75%. Demonstrate patience, user".

But I also did notice there is the same looking skull and bones splayed out on the ground in one spot in each level that looked suspicious - especially the one in the little wall alcove in the tower leading up to Rampo in Tribalstack Tropics - so I wonder if they will have something to do with the pirate treasures in the future (eg. those spots with the skulls might open up into secret areas that are unlocked with the pirate treasure from that world, if found).
Here are two I was able to get a quick screenshot of, the other three I can't remember off the top of my head where they were in the levels, but I'm sure I saw the same skeleton once in each world.

Pgcrooner

Postby Pgcrooner » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:15 pm

Spoiler:
If I remember correctly, that inept character in galleon galaxy used to say 50% loaded

I have a feeling that the pirate treasure will come into play with that secret in Galleon Galaxy.

ShanPen

Postby ShanPen » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:25 am

ShanPen wrote:
But I also did notice there is the same looking skull and bones splayed out on the ground in one spot in each level that looked suspicious - especially the one in the little wall alcove in the tower leading up to Rampo in Tribalstack Tropics - so I wonder if they will have something to do with the pirate treasures in the future (eg. those spots with the skulls might open up into secret areas that are unlocked with the pirate treasure from that world, if found).
Here are two I was able to get a quick screenshot of, the other three I can't remember off the top of my head where they were in the levels, but I'm sure I saw the same skeleton once in each world.

OK so I must have remembered wrong and the skull isn't actually in each level, because I spent ages the other night trawling through world 4 trying to find the skull that I thought I saw in each level, but I couldn't find it. So there goes that theory. :oops:

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:14 pm

But how would that work? Unless there's a website involved.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”