Yooka Laylee is Nostalgia Gone Wrong

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
snoodle1

Yooka Laylee is Nostalgia Gone Wrong

Postby snoodle1 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:22 am

Yavga

Re: Yooka Laylee is Nostalgia Gone Wrong

Postby Yavga » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:33 am

Disagree strongly, I still like Banjo Kazooie and Tooie over Yooka Laylee and there are clear reason why.

I recently played several other platformers, one in particular I never played had that samey vibe "Psychonauts" now how can that be nostalgia when I never played it before?

Yooka Laylee is in my opinion a bad revival but a good game nontheless, the level approach was different, character design was different, moveset was different, story was different.

It is simply not the revival of the game because it isn't as close to it. I mean... Banjo Tooie was like Banjo Kazooie? So another game can be.
Stop picking your nose Image

LDK777

Postby LDK777 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:29 am

YL is a good game that hipster critics are being too harsh on because its en vogue to poo-poo on "nostalgia"

There were some aspects of YL that fell flat, there's lots of room for improvement, however overall it's the best 3D platformer that has been made since Super Mario Galaxy 2.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:10 pm

That article is journalism gone wrong. Or, more succinctly, that article is wrong.
Make the forum great again.

Hopix

Postby Hopix » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:32 pm

Kotaku in it's entirety is journalism gone wrong.

Omega

Postby Omega » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:00 pm

Yavga wrote:Disagree strongly, I still like Banjo Kazooie and Tooie over Yooka Laylee and there are clear reason why.

I recently played several other platformers, one in particular I never played had that samey vibe "Psychonauts" now how can that be nostalgia when I never played it before?

Yooka Laylee is in my opinion a bad revival but a good game nontheless, the level approach was different, character design was different, moveset was different, story was different.

It is simply not the revival of the game because it isn't as close to it. I mean... Banjo Tooie was like Banjo Kazooie? So another game can be.

Psychonauts is awesome! But I disagree on the other things you said. The levels were not that different from the ones in Banjo Tooie. Character design is really similar to that of the Banjo games (Googly eyes for everyone and also the same character designer). Moveset was different because Yooka and Laylee are different characters, but they share a lot with Banjo and Kazooie: Roll/Walking Kazooie, Flying, Glide, Crouch and bigger juump. And yeah story was a downgrade maybe but then again, the Banjo games arent that deep in story overall.

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:10 pm

It's Kotaku. They lied about exchanging sexual acts for positive reviews. Which lead to other gaming sites saying gamers are bad.

EekumBokum202

Postby EekumBokum202 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:03 am

Ew, Kotaku. :x
...A Man can dream... Project Dream, that is.

Meinhard1

Postby Meinhard1 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:13 pm

I feel like the "nostalgia" is thrown around in a derogatory sort of way a bit too often in gaming discourse.

Anyways, I'll always remember that Kotaku have us this nice article: https://www.google.com/amp/kotaku.com/w ... 621001/amp

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”