Ideas for Yooka-Laylee DLC

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
EekumBokum202

Ideas for Yooka-Laylee DLC

Postby EekumBokum202 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:57 pm

Taylor and I were discussing this on the "List 'o Ideas" thread, basically that after the game was out for a week, we'd make a topic about potential DLC for the game, since Playtonic DID promise DLC for this game in their Kickstarter, just that they'd think of what to include as DLC after the game was finished and shipped (also, backers get the DLC for free as a thank you).

Should this be like the "List 'o Ideas" thread? Because I don't know if I can keep up with all of the ideas and update this post to fit them all in here... But I guess I'll try my best.

ANYWAY, what kind of DLC would you like to see for this game? A new world? More mini-games? Additional story content? There DO seem to be some Easter eggs in this game that don't have a full explanation for them... Since I'm still playing through the game, I don't have any ideas at the moment, but I'm sure I'll come up with some when I finish the main story.

Y00kaz0013fanb0y

Re: Ideas for Yooka-Laylee DLC

Postby Y00kaz0013fanb0y » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:25 pm

I want to see the 64-Bit Play Tonic be Unlocked as DLC
I, For One, Welcome the highly anticipated return of the 3d Collect-athon Platformer Genre of Video Games and will continue to support Playtonic no matter what

EekumBokum202

Postby EekumBokum202 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:22 am

Y00kaz0013fanb0y wrote:I want to see the 64-Bit Play Tonic be Unlocked as DLC

I mean, I think that's a given, and they already said they'd do it. :?

Omega

Postby Omega » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:17 am

I would like another world... or mini world, that would be nice!

The Pho

Postby The Pho » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:59 am

A new world would be my biggest hope for the dlc. They are always far more worth it when they have some real substance. But I haven't finished the game yet so I can't say how it could be implemented.

Tek

Postby Tek » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:20 am

A new area or world to explore would definitely be my first choice for DLC.

I know this is crazy and wishful thinking, but if they don't want to make an entire new 3D level to add into the game somewhere, then what if they made a DLC where Yooka and Laylee find a new kind of 'arcade' game, but not like the ones on Rextros arcade? It could be a short SNES style 2D platformer. The graphics could be comprised of existing Yooka Laylee game assets that have been pre-rendered into 2D sprites in a similar fashion to the Donkey Kong Country games. That would be awesome!

I know, I know...it's just an idea. :oops:

It's difficult to think of ideas for worthwhile DLC that don't include new places to explore and things to do, in my opinion.

Natsu

Postby Natsu » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:22 am

I would like more difficult variations of many of the challenges in the game. I really enjoy Kartos, Rextro games, the bosses, and many of the other mini-games, but I wish they were harder and would last longer. I would love another minecart boss like INEPT that takes it to a whole other level (think Kapt. K. Rool platforming).

I think the thing I would appreciate most would be a general "hard mode" for the game. Remember how Grunty's Furnace Fun mini-games would take existing challenges and give an extremely strict time limit? I would love to play through YL where every single challenge in the game is on the brink of impossibility. The time trials in this game have timers that seem focused towards the average gamer's first attempt, which can be boring for replay value.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:22 am

An extra world, with new characters, collectables, a boss etc

BanjoThreeie

Postby BanjoThreeie » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:06 pm

Scrubber wrote:An extra world, with new characters, collectables, a boss etc

This is the only thing I'd want and play as DLC for this game.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:11 pm

Same. It's gotta be something that will bring me back to the game.

A time trial mode or A new arcade game or a new skin/clothing for yooka and Laylee would not interest me.

EekumBokum202

Postby EekumBokum202 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:06 pm

So now that I've actually beaten the game, I'm hoping the DLC is something that picks up on the "sequel hook"-laden ending we got...

Like, for example,
I want to know what happened to Capital B and Dr. Quack. What book did they end up in? What kind of world is that?

Or how about this:
We find out more about V.I.L.E.? Not too much, we need to save the BIG stuff for the sequel and other Playtonic games, but still, a little something more to wet our appetite.

Maybe the DLC could involve the Ghost Writers in some way?
I was rather disappointed that they do nothing story-wise since you collected them all. The Jinjo's helped out in the final battle with Gruntilda in Banjo-Kazooie, even if you didn't collect all of them. Besides that, the Ghost Writers wrote the books of the worlds you explored, so you'd THINK they'd be more important then they actually were. Feels like a missed opportunity.

How about something involving
the pirate treasure you find? Could they be our now "Stop 'n Swap"?! :o

Or how about something involving Shipwreck Creek? Yooka and Laylee mentioned they only recently moved in, and they just gave it a new paint-job, what could the origin behind that ship be? And what about Blasto? Was he always there, or did he come there with Yooka and Laylee? Either way, given that neither had to introduce themselves to him, it's obvious that they know each other, but for how long?

Man, this game just left me hungry for more, which maybe was the point, but at the same time, given all the criticism this game got, I can't help but feel like Playtonic got a bit too over-ambitious with all the sequel bait here.

FailureFactory

Postby FailureFactory » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:07 pm

Quick answers to some of last post's questions:
The book appears to be world 1.
What you say about the ghost writers is how I felt about Trowzer, who did barely more than sell stuff.
Blasto is a Banjo reference, with the red bird and Blastooie, and I think that's all he's supposed to be.

bigfanofoldrare

Postby bigfanofoldrare » Mon May 01, 2017 12:47 am

made a way, flying technique can't be used.. or abused.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Tue May 02, 2017 7:37 am

Tek wrote:A new area or world to explore would definitely be my first choice for DLC.

I know this is crazy and wishful thinking, but if they don't want to make an entire new 3D level to add into the game somewhere, then what if they made a DLC where Yooka and Laylee find a new kind of 'arcade' game, but not like the ones on Rextros arcade? It could be a short SNES style 2D platformer. The graphics could be comprised of existing Yooka Laylee game assets that have been pre-rendered into 2D sprites in a similar fashion to the Donkey Kong Country games. That would be awesome!

I know, I know...it's just an idea. :oops:

It's difficult to think of ideas for worthwhile DLC that don't include new places to explore and things to do, in my opinion.

Great idea! That's probably the second best DLC I could imagine, aside from an obvious new world.

Speaking of how they'd implement a new world, I'm not worried at all. Just showcase that transition in a cutscene and we're set. Even if I don't know the hub yet, I think that they'll find a logical way to place a new hallway somewhere with a little use of creativity.

Phenex77

Postby Phenex77 » Tue May 16, 2017 2:50 am

I think there should be 2 more worlds. 1 desert themed either egypt or western theme with a scorpion transformation or something that fits. Western would be cool idea with a town thats under attack by bandits, even could have a mine section for the expanded area to show kartos' home. The 2nd would be a medieval themed world split into 2 sections. A green field that is home to castle hamalot which has been taken over by the corplets. And the other part a fiery mountain you can climb and dr puzz is at the top who transforms you into a dragon(cmon its perfect green body red nose purple wings!) which you can use to retake the castle for a pagie. These 2 levels plus added hub locations would add 55 more pagies for a nice 200 total(25 for each world and 5 hub pagies). Also game really needs some kind of quill reward similar to endgame note doors in bk.

Hopix

Postby Hopix » Tue May 16, 2017 12:08 pm

Phenex77 wrote:I think there should be 2 more worlds. 1 desert themed either egypt or western theme with a scorpion transformation or something that fits. Western would be cool idea with a town thats under attack by bandits, even could have a mine section for the expanded area to show kartos' home. The 2nd would be a medieval themed world split into 2 sections. A green field that is home to castle hamalot which has been taken over by the corplets. And the other part a fiery mountain you can climb and dr puzz is at the top who transforms you into a dragon(cmon its perfect green body red nose purple wings!) which you can use to retake the castle for a pagie. These 2 levels plus added hub locations would add 55 more pagies for a nice 200 total(25 for each world and 5 hub pagies). Also game really needs some kind of quill reward similar to endgame note doors in bk.

Great ideas :)

FailureFactory

Postby FailureFactory » Tue May 16, 2017 5:22 pm

To be honest, I think you guys are getting your hopes too high talking about additional worlds. Not that I wouldn't also like that, but roughly 1/7 of the game being dlc? One single dlc? Well, maybe if that had been introduced as the concept from the start (as in e.g. Lego Dimensions). Considering that Playtonic insisted on "completing the game" before adding dlc during their kickstarter, this seems highly improbable to me.

Phenex77

Postby Phenex77 » Wed May 17, 2017 10:56 pm

Its not unheard of that some dlc packs add 1/3 or even more to a game, especially rpg genre. For a basic platformer that we paid 40bucks for i wouldnt mind throwing down 15-20dollars if it was done very well. I guess you could call our ideas more like expansion dlc.

FailureFactory

Postby FailureFactory » Wed May 17, 2017 11:18 pm

My figure was not a total, though. It's not incredibly much if a game is 1/7 dlc. However, if a single dlc has the size of 1 sixth of the original game (as would be the case with a single level) that sounds a lot. Give us two dlc worlds and the dlc is already 1/3 the size of the main game (and I'm generously counting the hub as a level here). Add some more minor stuff and that 1/3 is easily covered.

Again, this isn't generally impossible, but it really clashes with the claim to have a "finished" game before adding dlc in my opinion. Imagine someone stealing away two of the 7 levels in DK64 and selling it to you as a "complete" game.

Phenex77

Postby Phenex77 » Thu May 18, 2017 6:16 pm

Well in this case only 5 levels were planned everything else is just afterthoughts. I wouldnt want to pay for something that was scrapped during development. The game as far as i know is finished, and all these ideas are just something to add to the game. Take something like borderlands(yes it has day 1 dlc but im not talking about those), over time they release dlc that add entire new sections that connect to the world complete with sub sections, new bosses, objectives, and even modifying existing game mechanics. Overtime with all of those releases the amount of dlc greatly expands the existing game world without hiding it behind a menu to acess it. In todays digital age its easier than ever to add additional content to games. The only thing that matters is how well its done, and if it was not held back to sell later.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”