Final Boss Fight Frustrations (obvious spoilers)

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
EekumBokum202

Final Boss Fight Frustrations (obvious spoilers)

Postby EekumBokum202 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:50 am

SCREW THE FINAL BOSS FIGHT IN YOOKA-LAYLEE!! I mean, maybe I'm just bad or I don't know how to deal with those fricking bee-bombs, but holy crap I've spent three freaking hours (maybe less) trying to beat Capital B, and most of it was working to get to the point I keep dying at! I thought I could beat the game tonight but after a certain point where it got too late I just yelled "EFF IT!!" and quit the game entirely. I'm going to get back to this tomorrow, after I figure out what the Hell I'm doing wrong, but GEEZ I'm so angry right now I have to vent my frustrations!

I realize the final boss fight is supposed to be hard, but here's the thing, I wouldn't be so frustrated if it provided health after each segment of the boss fight. YOU KNOW, LIKE THAT GAME THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE BASED ON!!! Remember how in Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie, after you beat Gruntilda a bit she'd give you a bit of health before moving on to the next phase of battle? And you had the option to either take it or leave it there for later in case you needed it? How come they don't do that here? To my recollection, the battle provides no health, at least not to the point I've gotten to. Not even beating up the Corplets that keep spawning at one point, which you would THINK would be a prime opportunity to do so. If there IS a part where health is given to you at one point, please tell me, or better yet, please tell me how to deal with those fricking bee bombs?!

The first phase is fine, I just outrun them until they disperse then hit Capital B... and hit him again while he's knocked over... Not sure why you need that extra step, but whatever... At least that's what I thought at first, but THEN you get to the third phase where he stars pounding the group. How the heck are you supposed to avoid the bees hurting you while attacking Capital B? I can outrun them, but I need to circle back and hit Capital B while avoiding them, and THEN hit him again while he's down! I'm assuming I can only hurt him with the ground-pound attack while he's knocked over, if that's not the case PLEASE tell me, because that's how I've been playing this whole time! I don't care if I'm being dumb or not immediately getting how to go about this battle, I got SO mad every time I had to stop once I knocked Capital B over to pound his stomach because it meant I'd get hit by the bees, which would occasionally stall me enough to have Capital B get back on his feet! And that's if it actually works! There are times I pound him and it does nothing! The hit detection is REALLY wonky in this boss fight! Even worse is that sometimes when the bees are surrounding me, I can't hit Capital B! I seriously attack as much as I can while he's stuck but I can't hit him, as if the bees surrounding me are a barrier that's pushing me away from Capital B! Once again, there's nothing wrong with a really hard final boss fight, but the fight gets hard enough with all the shockwave hive-bombs, Capital B pounding the ground, the increasingly limited space to maneuver around, AND those God-forsaken bee-bombs, on top of the game acting all wonky and it being difficult to actually land a hit on this bastard!

I'm seriously so angry and frustrated right now, more than I ever was with those minecart rides and mini-games everyone keeps complaining about. Seriously, you want aggravating? Kartos and Rextro have got NOTHING on Capital B! Geez...

Edit: I'm a freaking moron.

I just saw a video of someone doing the boss fight, turns out, I can get rid of the bees with that sonar blast attack. I mean, it feels so obvious now that I see it, yet it never occurred to me during the fight. It's so weird, there are a LOT of moments where I didn't know what to do only to either stumble upon the solution or look it up and realize how obvious it should have been. I always end up forgetting what certain moves can do or what they're primarily used for at certain places...
...A Man can dream... Project Dream, that is.

Seraphi

Re: Final Boss Fight Frustrations (obvious spoilers)

Postby Seraphi » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:31 am

Hey Eekumbokum,

The final boss fight also took me some time, but slowly learning how to do it is kinda what I want from such a fight to begin with (though unfortunately you have to do the first and second phase over and over again, which are easy and take forever).

That being said, it seems you are only stuck on 2 particular points, which is the bees swarming and how to hit Capital B. First, you can dissipate the bees if you use Laylee's Sonic Explosion while they are swarming you, which should give you a lot more 'alone time' with Capital B. Second, you do not have to ground pound him, hitting him with the standard attack twirl is also fine. Hope these pointers help, good luck with the fight!

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:38 am

I was never fast enough to sonar blast them while avoiding the ground pound waves. I had to let them hit me. As long as I didn't take damage prior to this part I was ok.

FailureFactory

Postby FailureFactory » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:30 am

When he combines the groundwaves and bees, you only have a rather short time window for the move. The key is to be so close to him when he creates the wave that you can jump over it almost instantly, which gives you enough time to fire up Sonar 'Splosion and get moving before he comes down again.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:34 pm

I used the invicibility shield and a tonic that speeds up your energy bar regeneration. Without this, the fight would have taken me a lot longer!
Taylonic Ltd.

EekumBokum202

Postby EekumBokum202 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:48 pm

Seraphi wrote:Hey Eekumbokum,

The final boss fight also took me some time, but slowly learning how to do it is kinda what I want from such a fight to begin with (though unfortunately you have to do the first and second phase over and over again, which are easy and take forever).

That being said, it seems you are only stuck on 2 particular points, which is the bees swarming and how to hit Capital B. First, you can dissipate the bees if you use Laylee's Sonic Explosion while they are swarming you, which should give you a lot more 'alone time' with Capital B. Second, you do not have to ground pound him, hitting him with the standard attack twirl is also fine. Hope these pointers help, good luck with the fight!

Thanks for these, this is super helpful!

Taylor wrote:I used the invicibility shield and a tonic that speeds up your energy bar regeneration. Without this, the fight would have taken me a lot longer!

I used the invincibility shield myself, but I wasn't sure when and where to use it and when to turn it off. Though the sped up regeneration tonic sounds like a good idea.

Omega

Postby Omega » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:42 am

You should use the shield, its the best option. I really enjoyed the last boss fight, it was hard at first but memorable.

EekumBokum202

Postby EekumBokum202 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:11 pm

I beat Capital B! ...I have to say, it ended rather abruptly. Like when I landed the final blow, and it switched to a cutscene, I was like "wait, that's it? I mean, it was a lengthy boss fight, but... weird."

I can't help but remember landing the final blow on Gruntilda in Banjo-Kazooie and how climactic that was. Not that I'm saying this fight has to be just like that, but given how Capital B kept going and going and suddenly he's out (not to mention he's suddenly small and back in his office, that's a bit jarring), it threw me off a bit.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”