"Spit 'n' Polish" website update (improvements coming, Switch version definitive version?)

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
EekumBokum202

"Spit 'n' Polish" website update (improvements coming, Switch version definitive version?)

Postby EekumBokum202 » Thu May 04, 2017 12:50 am

So in case you haven't noticed, the guys over at Playtonic updated their website with a new entry. I suggest you read it now before we continue this discussion:

http://www.playtonicgames.com/spit-n-polish/

Basically, a major update is coming to the game, specially one that improves many things that people criticized the game for or requested the game should have, up to and including going through dialogue faster, skipping cutscenes, adjusting the sound on the character voices, and most notably, improving the game's camera!

The article also details two new additions to Playtonic Games (welcome Matt Griffin and Chris Woods!), Yooka-Laylee T-shirts, the Yooka-Laylee soundtrack vinyls, some fan stuff, and Kickstarter troubleshooting.

So this is really great news! I mean, we all kind of "knew" Playtonic would listen to what the fans wanted and it shows in their continuing updates to the game! And with them hard at work on the Switch version, it's safe to say these improvements will be on that version as well when it's finally ready and released! I personally played the PC version, and from what I've heard from Xbox One and PS4 players, I feel like I got the best version of the 3, though I really can't be certain on that, but still, I can't help but wonder if the Switch version will be even better... It only figures that the system that is Nintendo, where Banjo-Kazooie was born, would get what could possibly be the best version of the game! Of course, this is all speculation, we don't know for sure what it'll be like until it's finally out, but here's hoping!

Piet

Re: "Spit 'n' Polish" website update (improvements coming, Switch version definitive version?)

Postby Piet » Thu May 04, 2017 6:18 am

- Ability to skip dialogue faster
- Bypass cutscenes
- Reduce (gibberish) voices
- Design polish
- Changes to how the camera operates
- Pause screen music
- CC token glitch fixed

Sounds really good for a first big update! :)

Matt Rogers

Re: "Spit 'n' Polish" website update (improvements coming, Switch version definitive version?)

Postby Matt Rogers » Thu May 04, 2017 6:18 pm

"Speedrunners among us" - Really excited about this update! Hoping to see some sort of Time Trails gametype that gives players the ability to load and play each individual world from start to finish. Appreciate the community engagement and can't wait to learn more about the upcoming patch :D

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Thu May 04, 2017 10:14 pm

Good to know they are listening to us here on the forums. Just a shame I've already 100%ed the game and have no need to return to it.

ShanPen

Postby ShanPen » Fri May 05, 2017 4:45 am

Scrubber wrote:Good to know they are listening to us here on the forums. Just a shame I've already 100%ed the game and have no need to return to it.

So you don't ever want to try playing it a different way to see how it changes the difficulty? For example if you played the game the first time by expanding levels fully before moving on, you're not interested to see how the game feels by doing the opposite (moving on to new levels as soon as possible and then going back to expand all levels at the end) on a second play through? Do you never ever go back to a game you've completed, even years later, just to relive the fun, or to see if you've noticed things you've never noticed before, or to see how your interpretation of things might change over the years? Assuming you got any enjoyment out of playing Yooka-Laylee, it seems like a bit of a wasted opportunity to never get any more enjoyment out of the game if you never play it again. It would be like seeing a movie once at the cinema and then never watching it again, which would make sense if you hated the movie while at the cinema, but if it turned out to be your favourite movie would you really never want to watch it again? Not having a go at you, I'm just genuinely interested, because I've replayed Banjo-Kazooie (and other favourite games) so much over the years that I know it really well and yet can still enjoy going back to it, so it's hard to imagine only ever having played it once and then saying "Okay I'm done with it now".

Edited to note: I'm waiting for the Switch version of the game so I've been trying to avoid spoilers, therefore I haven't read the topics where members of this forum give their opinions and reviews of the game. Hence my above comment about going back to the game is only relevant if you enjoyed the game, so if you didn't enjoy Yooka-Laylee then of course it's understandable if you never want to play it again.
Last edited by ShanPen on Fri May 05, 2017 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FailureFactory

Postby FailureFactory » Fri May 05, 2017 11:02 am

ShanPen wrote:
Scrubber wrote:Good to know they are listening to us here on the forums. Just a shame I've already 100%ed the game and have no need to return to it.

So you don't ever want to try playing it a different way to see how it changes the difficulty? For example if you played the game the first time by expanding levels fully before moving on, you're not interested to see how the game feels by doing the opposite (moving on to new levels as soon as possible and then going back to expand all levels at the end) on a second play through? Do you never ever go back to a game you've completed, even years later, just to relive the fun, or to see if you've noticed things you've never noticed before, or to see how your interpretation of things might change over the years? Assuming you got any enjoyment out of playing Yooka-Laylee, it seems like a bit of a wasted opportunity to never get any more enjoyment out of the game if you never play it again. It would be like seeing a movie once at the cinema and then never watching it again, which would make sense if you hated the movie while at the cinema, but if it turned out to be your favourite movie would you really never want to watch it again? Not having a go at you, I'm just genuinely interested, because I've replayed Banjo-Kazooie (and other favourite games) so much over the years that I know it really well and yet can still enjoy going back to it, so it's hard to imagine only ever having played it once and then saying "Okay I'm done with it now".

I guess he's saying that he'd rather replay something else and that YL isn't the equivalent of his favourite movie.

Personally, I replayed Banjo-Tooie yesterday. I like Kazooie better, but man, YL can't compete. The first world of BT is: 4 world exclusive NPCs, 3 world exclusive enemies, a cool boss fight, and a mild variety of environments. YL has 1 world exclusive NPCs, 0 world exclusive enemies, a weird excuse for a boss, and even less variety than BT's first level (which is relatively monotonous for BT standards) - all of this stretched out over basically one giant area.

Occasionally you miss out things on the first playthrough, true. But honestly, even if there is something I didn't see during one of my numerous backtrackings during YL, going there is too boring to be worth it. I forgot to save my progress yesterday, and honestly I'd still rather replay Mayahem Temple than Tribalstack Tropics. At least I will be able to see another environment before too long. I have no intention of spending 1/6th of a game in the same assets all too soon.

However, unlike Scrubber, I am at least slightly curious to see the visual improvements they did. I doubt they'll make me play the game again. A boss battle mode would be required to manage that.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Fri May 05, 2017 9:38 pm

I don't play the same game twice in one year that's for sure. I'll play when the DLC comes though .

The Noob

Postby The Noob » Sat May 06, 2017 5:05 pm

Piet wrote:- Ability to skip dialogue faster
- Bypass cutscenes
- Reduce (gibberish) voices
- Design polish
- Changes to how the camera operates
- Pause screen music
- CC token glitch fixed

Sounds really good for a first big update! :)

What was the CC token glitch?

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Sun May 07, 2017 12:06 pm

Design?

ccb

Postby ccb » Tue May 09, 2017 1:50 pm

WTF happens with the crash on amd cards? are you(guys of playtonic) going to fix that?

bigfanofoldrare

Postby bigfanofoldrare » Thu May 11, 2017 6:14 pm

ccb wrote:WTF happens with the crash on amd cards? are you(guys of playtonic) going to fix that?

what do you talk about?

ccb

Postby ccb » Thu May 11, 2017 8:15 pm

there is a known issue(just search in steam) with people who have radeon hd series card, the game crash on intro cutscene, there is a workaround save data downloadable file that jump the intro(but that`s not a fix)untill the present day no news about a real fix and this update make no specification about this issue it`s...worrying, sorry about my english i`m spanish

rocho

Postby rocho » Sun May 14, 2017 4:40 pm

I'm happy the Switch version will be one of the latest ones when it comes out I want my first run trough the game to be as perfect as possible! Makes it worth the wait!

Piet

Postby Piet » Sun May 14, 2017 9:03 pm

It's out for more than a month and we've had only 1 update! The forum seems to be dying out and we don't get important info...

I love the game, but c'mon PTG, the communication is pretty... bad, tbh.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Sun May 14, 2017 11:05 pm

Piet wrote:It's out for more than a month and we've had only 1 update! The forum seems to be dying out and we don't get important info...

Yeah, I'm still waiting, too. But after the mixed reviews and the announcement of big updates, I'm now fine with playing it last. My hype went to 0, but I won't care when I get to play the game eventually and they'll fix many things until then.

There's still the uncertainty of whether they'll optimize the Switches version enough though - especially since the console is weaker and needs that optimization badly. Even more than the other console versions already do.

the8thark

Postby the8thark » Mon May 15, 2017 3:25 am

EekumBokum202 wrote:Basically, a major update is coming to the game, specially one that improves many things that people criticized the game for or requested the game should have, up to and including going through dialogue faster, skipping cutscenes, adjusting the sound on the character voices, and most notably, improving the game's camera!

You are wrong.

The game in it's initial form was great. But not perfect. Many critics just hated the game because haters love to hate. The polish here is just making an already good game even better.

People need to stop saying the game is bad. It's not bad. These lies are fooling no one who really is interested in the game and understands what it really is.

Piet

Postby Piet » Mon May 15, 2017 6:21 am

I already completed the game on my X1, but I just can't wait to play it on my Switch!
Also the next big update seems to be great (from what I've read about it).
It will improve an already great game! :)

They added 2 I.N.E.P.T. robots to the homepage, so let's hope that some news is coming our way soon.
They have to break the silence! :)

Hopix

Postby Hopix » Mon May 15, 2017 12:05 pm

ccb wrote:WTF happens with the crash on amd cards? are you(guys of playtonic) going to fix that?

First time I've ever heard of it, and I've got an AMD card.

ccb

Postby ccb » Tue May 16, 2017 12:19 am

AMD radeon hd series for be more specific maybe you have a modern one but believe me there is a LOT of people with this problem

EekumBokum202

Postby EekumBokum202 » Tue May 16, 2017 1:00 pm

Piet wrote:It's out for more than a month and we've had only 1 update! The forum seems to be dying out and we don't get important info...

It feels like no community is truly safe from its own bad apples. But the fact that a community has died down after a major event or release is not uncommon, Playtonic just needs to know how to keep the community active with other things.

That is... if people WANT to stay invested. It's possible people only joined these forums just to talk about how hyped they are or about any criticism they have with the game and leave it at that. Weird to say it, but stuff like Banjo-Kazooie and Rare, and by the same token Yooka-Laylee and Playtonic, don't have the same kind of popularity and staying power as, say, Pokemon does.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”