Y-L ... disappointment

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
unknow

Y-L ... disappointment

Postby unknow » Sat May 20, 2017 2:22 pm

Hello,

my GF likes this kind of games from childhood. When I saw L-Y I sad to myself "great, she will be lucky to play this". Game was look good from all ads / reviews and backed with lots of money...

First of all, we both watched the story. Is that story? Before the end of prologue, my GF refuses to play this. But the story is really strange. What is a point of this game? Books flying through the air, while our two heroes near (why they are there?), surrounded by chests ... Why? ... For such a story I would get the worst stamp at school. Really.

First minutes of gameplay. I can jump, crounch, stick out tongue... I can not redefine my keyboard. Camera not follow my heroes. Using both - keyboard and mouse is so terrible. Why so complicated control? Is this game for a childer?

Before I delete this from my PC, maybe someone know how to change key mapping and make camera movement like at almost every normal arcade game?

Thank you.

PandaLover

Re: Y-L ... disappointment

Postby PandaLover » Sat May 20, 2017 2:56 pm

Should refund it on steam and buy it on a console, game is much better with controller and PC seems to have issues or something with various controllers.

Also judging by the way you type, is this you?:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bftb19-2E-Y

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Sun May 21, 2017 7:42 pm

If you play games with a keyboard and mouse you're doing it wrong.

moritasan2040

Postby moritasan2040 » Mon May 22, 2017 8:00 am

Of course the story is stupid. It's a spiritual successor to a game where the story is about an ugly witch -who is SOMEHOW the world's second greatest beauty-, kidnapping the number one beauty (an little girl bear, hairy chest and all) to swap attractiveness with her via an Attractiveness Swapping Machine (or whatever it may be called), leading to Banjo and his friend who lives in in backpack to go on an adventure to rescue her.

Also, I agree that you're playing it wrong if you're trying to use a keyboard. I've never even tried using a keyboard. Some games on PC are made to use a controller.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Mon May 22, 2017 8:07 am

The only games that are justified (and indeed better) being played with a mouse and a keyboard are shooters and strategy games. Go get a 360 controller. Connects with ease & there's no binding required.

FailureFactory

Postby FailureFactory » Mon May 22, 2017 10:12 pm

moritasan2040 wrote:Of course the story is stupid. It's a spiritual successor to a game where the story is about an ugly witch -who is SOMEHOW the world's second greatest beauty-, kidnapping the number one beauty (an little girl bear, hairy chest and all) to swap attractiveness with her via an Attractiveness Swapping Machine (or whatever it may be called), leading to Banjo and his friend who lives in in backpack to go on an adventure to rescue her.

Banjo's story wasn't original, but it was told well and the characters felt involved. Bottles knew Banjo, Tootie and Kazooie, and actually wanted to help them, even supporting them in the final battle. The Jinjos and Brentilda also had a personal reason to support the duo. Whenever you exited the game, you were reminded of what the story was about. Clanker was Grunty's suffering garbage disposer, and several antagonists mentioned how they were guarding Gruntilda's treasures.

In YL it's all "wink wink, we all know this game has no story, let's make fun of that.". Yes, it's genre-savy, but it's also impersonal and empty. The only character that feels invested at all is Dr Puzz because of her story with Dr Quack, while Trowzer, Rextro and the Ghost Writers are just bystanders and don't play any role in the already poorly-motivated main story. Throwing us even something as trivial as "Grr, that Capital B wants to close my arcades/mines and replace them with call centers" isn't too much to ask.

notdog1996

Postby notdog1996 » Sun May 28, 2017 3:25 pm

FailureFactory wrote:
moritasan2040 wrote:Of course the story is stupid. It's a spiritual successor to a game where the story is about an ugly witch -who is SOMEHOW the world's second greatest beauty-, kidnapping the number one beauty (an little girl bear, hairy chest and all) to swap attractiveness with her via an Attractiveness Swapping Machine (or whatever it may be called), leading to Banjo and his friend who lives in in backpack to go on an adventure to rescue her.

Banjo's story wasn't original, but it was told well and the characters felt involved. Bottles knew Banjo, Tootie and Kazooie, and actually wanted to help them, even supporting them in the final battle. The Jinjos and Brentilda also had a personal reason to support the duo. Whenever you exited the game, you were reminded of what the story was about. Clanker was Grunty's suffering garbage disposer, and several antagonists mentioned how they were guarding Gruntilda's treasures.

In YL it's all "wink wink, we all know this game has no story, let's make fun of that.". Yes, it's genre-savy, but it's also impersonal and empty. The only character that feels invested at all is Dr Puzz because of her story with Dr Quack, while Trowzer, Rextro and the Ghost Writers are just bystanders and don't play any role in the already poorly-motivated main story. Throwing us even something as trivial as "Grr, that Capital B wants to close my arcades/mines and replace them with call centers" isn't too much to ask.

I agree 100% with that post. Honestly, the story felt like a lame excuse. The characters are not really explained at all and are just... there. They don't really have a purpose in the story. I know that 3D platformers are not played for their story, but it really, at least make us care for the characters.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Sun May 28, 2017 3:29 pm

notdog1996 wrote:
FailureFactory wrote:

I agree 100% with that post. Honestly, the story felt like a lame excuse. The characters are not really explained at all and are just... there. They don't really have a purpose in the story. I know that 3D platformers are not played for their story, but it really, at least make us care for the characters.

The most exciting thing for me about 3D platformers (and my favourite Banjo-Tooie) were ALWAYS the (in their own borders) believable worlds that you traversed. I really hope that Playtonic puts more effort in this for future games, since this is really what made their games special. Sure, gameplay was high up there as well, but I'd say that the characters and soul overall of their words matched that in their importance.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:43 pm

I guess making their worlds feel more lived-in is a place for improvement in Twoka Laylee. I think the perfect counter-example to anything in YL would be Banjo Tooie. Everything in BT (despite some complaints that it's "big" or "backtracky") feels lived in, and Jolly Roger's Lagoon is a literal small town. I did NOT feel that Yooka Laylee was empty at all, but not necessarily "inhabited". I think the hub world felt pretty well "inhabited", but the worlds themselves didn't put out much of a "people live here" feel.

It certainly didn't ruin the game for me though, and I definitely disagree that the story is any weaker than Banjo Kazooie.
Make the forum great again.

bigfanofoldrare

Postby bigfanofoldrare » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:39 pm

now me i am sure..

i want yooka-laylee to look more like banjo-tooie.. more hard.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:15 pm

dotEXE wrote:I guess making their worlds feel more lived-in is a place for improvement in Twoka Laylee. I think the perfect counter-example to anything in YL would be Banjo Tooie. Everything in BT (despite some complaints that it's "big" or "backtracky") feels lived in, and Jolly Roger's Lagoon is a literal small town. I did NOT feel that Yooka Laylee was empty at all, but not necessarily "inhabited". I think the hub world felt pretty well "inhabited", but the worlds themselves didn't put out much of a "people live here" feel.

It certainly didn't ruin the game for me though, and I definitely disagree that the story is any weaker than Banjo Kazooie.

Yeah I get this. Something to work on.
It's going to be hard to achieve this if they insist on reusing the same characters in each world.

Yuke Quantum

Postby Yuke Quantum » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:54 pm

They made this game in literally less than two years. May 2015 was the kickstarter announce. April 2017 released. One month shy of two years. Small team focused on good gameplay.

I consider this a success.

They are also incredibly driven to fix the technical issues.

How is everyone this upset? I implore you to try a similar feat of a two year game project with a team of -what? 10 people?

Plus, go look at some of the other kickstarters that have put off their release dates, not met their promises, or have literally fallen apart before finishing.
-Yuke Quantum
the thirst exploder

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:21 pm

I'm not upset at all. I'm just starting to be able to admit that it wasn't a 110/100 beyond-flawless title. My few suggestions for improvement are still minor, and I wouldn't even call them complaints. Just ... room for improvement.
Make the forum great again.

Spydr Webz

Postby Spydr Webz » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:37 pm

Yuke Quantum wrote:They made this game in literally less than two years. May 2015 was the kickstarter announce. April 2017 released. One month shy of two years. Small team focused on good gameplay.

How is everyone this upset? I implore you to try a similar feat of a two year game project with a team of -what? 10 people?

Plus, go look at some of the other kickstarters that have put off their release dates, not met their promises, or have literally fallen apart before finishing.

I really doubt that many of the "complaints" you see are from people who are actually upset with the game. People like myself have played the game, absolutely loved it, but recognized that there is definitely room for improvement in some areas. Just because people aren't on their knees and praising the Playtonic team as gods of game development doesn't mean that they hated the game. We're just more level-headed, I guess.

I loved the game, but I'd like to see more unique and world exclusive characters, as well as a bit more variety and organization within each world (Galleon Galaxy is the only world that did a great job of this). Don't think of these as "complaints," but rather as "suggestions" from a satisfied fan who sensibly recognizes that the game isn't 10/10 God's gift to gamers.

lovedbanjohateyooka

Postby lovedbanjohateyooka » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:52 am

:oops: Playtonic, I hope you read this and I hope you pay attention. When I was young, the very first 64 game I got was Banjo-Kazooie. Let me say, I played that game until I got everything in it. I loved it and throughout the years I have been revisiting it occasionally. It is still one of my favorite games. When I saw the kick starter for this game, naturally I wanted this to happen. But playing this game... I never got so frustrated with a platforms in all my life. I know you had the best intentions, but for all the people who bought this game because of a nostalgic trip.. It's such a disappointment. #1 it feels bare in some areas and say too jam packed in others. It's confusing! #2 rextros games are not good. The hurdle one had me pulling my hair out and it kept skipping. Banjo had some slow down at times but no skipping! #3 the biggest let down for me is how I don't feel like you guys had the same ambition for this as you did banjo. I could go through all the "forgettables" but I want to move on to #4.... It feels like a rushed (just had to meet a deadline) type of game. Please, if you can update the hell out of this game to save it, that would be great. We all waited a really long time for this game and this is what was given. I don't want to feel like the people behind some of the greatest games ever were out for a cash grab, but that's what this feels like. You guys can do better than this. With all that said I hope there's a sequal. But remember, banjo-kazooie got it right the first time. Now all we need is more of a re-do rather than a sequal.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:22 pm

lovedbanjohateyooka wrote:
:oops: Playtonic, I hope you read this and I hope you pay attention. When I was young, the very first 64 game I got was Banjo-Kazooie. Let me say, I played that game until I got everything in it. I loved it and throughout the years I have been revisiting it occasionally. It is still one of my favorite games. When I saw the kick starter for this game, naturally I wanted this to happen. But playing this game... I never got so frustrated with a platforms in all my life. I know you had the best intentions, but for all the people who bought this game because of a nostalgic trip.. It's such a disappointment. #1 it feels bare in some areas and say too jam packed in others. It's confusing! #2 rextros games are not good. The hurdle one had me pulling my hair out and it kept skipping. Banjo had some slow down at times but no skipping! #3 the biggest let down for me is how I don't feel like you guys had the same ambition for this as you did banjo. I could go through all the "forgettables" but I want to move on to #4.... It feels like a rushed (just had to meet a deadline) type of game. Please, if you can update the hell out of this game to save it, that would be great. We all waited a really long time for this game and this is what was given. I don't want to feel like the people behind some of the greatest games ever were out for a cash grab, but that's what this feels like. You guys can do better than this. With all that said I hope there's a sequal. But remember, banjo-kazooie got it right the first time. Now all we need is more of a re-do rather than a sequal.

I'm curious: Did you play the game with the big Spit'n'Polish update or not?

Jinjo

Postby Jinjo » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:52 am

Yuke Quantum wrote:They made this game in literally less than two years. May 2015 was the kickstarter announce. April 2017 released. One month shy of two years. Small team focused on good gameplay.

Excuses, excuses, blabber, excuses, more excuses.

You're the kid who can't be bothered to do his work and justifies this by pointing at all the other kids who haven't met their promises or deadlines. "but look! they all failed! so it's okay if I do too!".

Piet

Postby Piet » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:11 am

Jinjo wrote:

Excuses, excuses, blabber, excuses, more excuses.

You're the kid who can't be bothered to do his work and justifies this by pointing at all the other kids who haven't met their promises or deadlines. "but look! they all failed! so it's okay if I do too!".

Finally someone who is not 'white knighting' this whole shitfest! :)
(Altho I do like the game itself. :))

Piet

Postby Piet » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:10 am

Operationgamer17

Postby Operationgamer17 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:36 pm

Keep in mind, this is just one retailer.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”