What I love about Yooka Laylee

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Yuke Quantum
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:24 pm

What I love about Yooka Laylee

Postby Yuke Quantum » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:27 am

It seems that Captial B's goons have been hard at work trying to tear this game down, so i figured I would embrace the love for this game and start a thread that lists all the good qualities. Feel free to join in. If you got gripes, grab up one of the threads pooping on it instead.

So onward to spoilers:
-The design and movement of our main characters (played it on PS4 so real smooth)
-blowing bubbles in the broken tub
-Dr. Quackz and his brand of comedy
-Pagies in the balloon room
-the skulls (specifically in the cosmic world)
-that trowser snake
-Yooka's shorts
-Gloomy Grotto because of how challenging it was
-that it is a 3-D platformer that recalls imagery and game structure similar to our old favorites
-I'm a fan of collectathons and 100% completion so that too!


I think I'll start there but I love a lot more from it and I hope you do too. Feel free to add in the love.
-Yuke Quantum
the thirst exploder

User avatar
Tek
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:08 am

Re: What I love about Yooka Laylee

Postby Tek » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:32 am

Overall I think it's a really enjoyable game. In addition to your list, here are 3 more things that stood out to me as particularly enjoyable moments that made me actually laugh out loud. They all have to do with the pagies.

-The Crazy Kirkhope pagie

-The pagie in a cagie in Tribalstack Tropics that attempts to go forwards through the cage bars, and refuses to even try going through sideways.

-The pagie (I think it was in Galleon Galaxy?) that actually does try to go through the cagie bars sideways and succeeds.


Also, the last 3 transformations. Those were really cool. :D

Yuke Quantum
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:24 pm

Re: What I love about Yooka Laylee

Postby Yuke Quantum » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:55 pm

Tek wrote:Overall I think it's a really enjoyable game. In addition to your list, here are 3 more things that stood out to me as particularly enjoyable moments that made me actually laugh out loud. They all have to do with the pagies.

-The Crazy Kirkhope pagie

-The pagie in a cagie in Tribalstack Tropics that attempts to go forwards through the cage bars, and refuses to even try going through sideways.

-The pagie (I think it was in Galleon Galaxy?) that actually does try to go through the cagie bars sideways and succeeds.


Also, the last 3 transformations. Those were really cool. :D


Thanks for sharing in the Yooka love, Tek! I also liked those parts. To add to your pagie love:

the pagie with stockholm syndrome! XD


Let's keep it coming! Anyone else like anything about the game?

I have some more, we're focusing on the Quack :lol: :

-when you go to the final battle and Dr Quacks gets knocked over! They could have put an action "KO!" above his head with a deep voiced announcer saying it! Hahaha
-then when he presses the wrong button moments later during the boss battle. I el oh elled out loud.
-that you're "obviously cheating" when you get enough quiz questions right
-that you might actually be cheating to get those quiz questions right!


That's enough for now. I just came back on today and saw that more complaints have been posted and felt the need to reiterate that I loved the game instead of trying to defend Playtonic on those threads.
-Yuke Quantum
the thirst exploder

FailureFactory
Posts: 93
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:56 pm

Re: What I love about Yooka Laylee

Postby FailureFactory » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:17 pm

The Moodymaze Marsh and Capital Cashino bosses were really cool. Both felt much more platformer-y than most of the remaining game. Also, that one point in dialogue where Quack winks at Capital B and he gets it all wrong. That was pretty hilarious imo.

Yuke Quantum
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:24 pm

Re: What I love about Yooka Laylee

Postby Yuke Quantum » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:07 pm

FailureFactory wrote:The Moodymaze Marsh and Capital Cashino bosses were really cool. Both felt much more platformer-y than most of the remaining game. Also, that one point in dialogue where Quack winks at Capital B and he gets it all wrong. That was pretty hilarious imo.


Those bosses were awesome!

I didn't read spoilers so the casino boss took me by surprise coming right after the Kartos challenge. I love their ability to surprise us.


I think that quacker was my favorite character.

I also posed this theory some time ago in a thread that someone started stating the characters were boring and am curious what anyone else thinks:

Yooka and Laylee are pirates. Support for this:
They live in a shipwreck
They fence stolen goods (the book didn't even belong to them, they found it)
They transform into a pirate ship
There's a (toolbox) secret on a pirate ship that we haven't gotten yet
They pillage corporations
They're friends are shady (Trowzer) or have been disbarred from their field (Dr Puzz)


I could very well be off the mark but what do you think?
-Yuke Quantum
the thirst exploder

FailureFactory
Posts: 93
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:56 pm

Re: What I love about Yooka Laylee

Postby FailureFactory » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:10 pm

Yuke Quantum wrote:
FailureFactory wrote:The Moodymaze Marsh and Capital Cashino bosses were really cool. Both felt much more platformer-y than most of the remaining game. Also, that one point in dialogue where Quack winks at Capital B and he gets it all wrong. That was pretty hilarious imo.


Those bosses were awesome!

I didn't read spoilers so the casino boss took me by surprise coming right after the Kartos challenge. I love their ability to surprise us.


I think that quacker was my favorite character.

I also posed this theory some time ago in a thread that someone started stating the characters were boring and am curious what anyone else thinks:

Yooka and Laylee are pirates. Support for this:
They live in a shipwreck
They fence stolen goods (the book didn't even belong to them, they found it)
They transform into a pirate ship
There's a (toolbox) secret on a pirate ship that we haven't gotten yet
They pillage corporations
They're friends are shady (Trowzer) or have been disbarred from their field (Dr Puzz)


I could very well be off the mark but what do you think?


I don't think Yooka and Laylee are supposed to be pirates. The game has a slight pirate theme at some places, but that doesn't necessarily make the main characters pirates. By the same logic you could argue they were businessmen:
- They spend most of the time in a company
- Their associates are another salesmann and a corporate scientist
- They trade ressources for one another
- Their opponent is another businessman
- Their motivatoion to chase the one book is its trade value
- They invest into different areas for additional profit
- They spend an awful lot of time in the books

Yuke Quantum
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:24 pm

Re: What I love about Yooka Laylee

Postby Yuke Quantum » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:47 pm

Haha. Good point, FF. I might have jumped the gun.
-Yuke Quantum
the thirst exploder

FailureFactory
Posts: 93
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:56 pm

Re: What I love about Yooka Laylee

Postby FailureFactory » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:38 am

Yuke Quantum wrote:Haha. Good point, FF. I might have jumped the gun.


I'm certainly not disagreeing there's this pirate theme, though. Which is cool, considering it's been a recurring theme in the DKC series and was even visible in BK & BT.

Hopix
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:45 pm

Re: What I love about Yooka Laylee

Postby Hopix » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:31 pm

Good to see a positive thread for once. That "mixed" reviews on Steam is annoying, because I just know most of the points are going to be complete irrelevant, whiny nonsense.

Yuke Quantum
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:24 pm

Re: What I love about Yooka Laylee

Postby Yuke Quantum » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:13 pm

FF, I loved the DK pirates. In Diddy's Kong Quest when they slide down the ropes was awesome.

Hopix, thanks for joining in! Did you play yet? If there's parts you loved, feel free to share!
-Yuke Quantum
the thirst exploder

User avatar
Mew Mew Psychic
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:02 am
Location: Pokémon World

Re: What I love about Yooka Laylee

Postby Mew Mew Psychic » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:16 pm

I bet I will be boo-ed at...

But I really loved Yooka-Laylee's platforming and frankly, I regret there wasn't more areas like Gloomy Gem Grotto and the Hivory Towers slide that really tested my skills.

I actually would love the addition of a special world entirely around using abilities to their maximum potential or at least, the addition of more sections like these.

I really, really, REALLY hope the update will not nerf those areas...


Frankly, Yooka-Laylee is easy and forgiving as is. Not that I necessarely want it to be truly hard per see and I loved the exploration but well, I actually appreciated the presence of such areas greatly and it made me wish for more of them in this style.

User avatar
Tek
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:08 am

Re: What I love about Yooka Laylee

Postby Tek » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:20 pm

I agree, Gloomy Gem Grotto was very difficult for me, but I appreciated the challenge. That section really felt reminiscent of some of the most challenging platforming sections in old N64 platformers.


Return to “Yooka-Laylee”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest