What the hell are you doing playtonic

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Exaskryz

What the hell are you doing playtonic

Postby Exaskryz » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:06 am

Where the hell is the Switch version? You just announced on kickstarter that you're working on a big update for the game... why is the Switch not your priority? What the hell is going on?

And then you're emailing us spoilers for the game? Why? Give us the game first.
Aiaiaiiii, we're 8 months past the deadline for the game, and still no word on it coming out.

ShanPen

Re: What the hell are you doing playtonic

Postby ShanPen » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:42 am

Patience. The already released versions were Playtonic's guinea pigs, which they are now fixing. And any improvements they add to those versions are going to be standard in the Switch version from day one, so I'm quite happy to wait for them to fix up the other versions first and get all the problems sorted so my Switch version will be even better when I finally get to play it.

PandaLover

Postby PandaLover » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:05 pm

ShanPen wrote:Patience. The already released versions were Playtonic's guinea pigs, which they are now fixing. And any improvements they add to those versions are going to be standard in the Switch version from day one, so I'm quite happy to wait for them to fix up the other versions first and get all the problems sorted so my Switch version will be even better when I finally get to play it.

You sound like one of those people who chooses to abstain from sex until marriage. You should get yourself a Nintendo Switch Purity Ring.

WyvernWings

Postby WyvernWings » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:23 pm

"What the hell are you doing playtonic"
lol. It's is my first time checking back on this forum in months and this is the first topic I saw. I see nothing has changed since I left. Just more incessant whining. And from none other than Exaskryz himself. Why am I not surprised?

Exaskryz wrote:why is the Switch not your priority? What the hell is going on?

Do you want the Switch version of Yooka Laylee to be a buggered, watered-down port that has even more glitches than the game had when it was first released? The Switch was produced right in the middle of the game's development, which would have been a very awkward transition from the failed Wii-U version. And being that it's quite a different kind of machine compared to the PC, PS4 and XONE, Of course it's going to take a while, especially for an Indie-studio of around 30 people. Some new bugs and other deficiencies could have popped up for that version in particular because of the hardware differences and need time to iron out. Rime is another Indie game that has yet to be released for the Switch after initially releasing for the PC, PS4 and XONE. These tasks take time, especially for smaller companies. Be. Patient. Find another game or hobby to hold you over. Hang the washing or something.

I think it's admirable, truly, as a business, Playtonic are actually prioritizing quality assurance for the Nintendo version (the one everybody wants) to make sure the game runs properly on the Switch, instead of rushing it out the doors to make a quick, undeserved buck, like what too many game studios are doing nowadays, especially the big boys like Ubisoft, WB Games and EA.

The point I'm trying make here: They are a business. They need to sell games to make money, so they can make more games. The more versions they make, the more money they can get, from the more copies they sell. Of course the Switch version's a friggin' priority. Nintendo is Yooka Laylee's main demographic. That's where the big bucks are.
You know what's also a priority? Not making a s**t game! I think that's a pretty good reason to wait a bit longer. Hell, many of Playtonic worked with Nintendo in the past. I think it'd be pretty clear they love Nintendo as much as we do. They were even developing the Wii U version in-house! What makes you think they aren't prioritizing a Nintendo version along with some extra polish from the inital versions?

I'm not defending Playtonic. I do not like some of the things they do. As a Kickstarter game, we should have got more development updates and better communication from them. They did not live up to a few of their promises such as the Wii U version and finishing polish for the initial versions of Yooka Laylee, and I hated how they handled the Jontron situation.
But I know a thing or two about the hurdles game development goes through and I'm sick of wasting my time explaining these hurdles to such spoilt, entitled man-children such as you who title their topics as "What the hell are you doing playtonic" as if whinging and insulting them is gonna make the Switch version come faster. Maybe you can encourage them a bit instead? Hope they do a good job? Improve their morale a bit? "Can't wait for the Switch version! Do your best!" In fact, I'm gonna do that right now, while you can continue your ongoing tantrum about Shovel Knight being an NPC.

Good god is anyone still reading this? Whatever. I'm sure there are others here who can explain this stuff shorter, calmer and more cohesively than I can.
I don't care how anyone responds to this, or not at all. I needed to get this off my chest. Sorry everyone. I met some wonderful and polite people during my time on these forums but I'm sad this drama is still happening.
Guess I won't be coming back for real anytime soon.

Meinhard1

Postby Meinhard1 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:43 pm

I think Playtonic was right to put out that patch first, as it contains numerous tweaks and appears to address many complaints.

We also know the port is up and running ... it's not like they've been neglecting to work on it.

Would be nice if this could all happen overnight, but in reality this takes time.

For example, Yacht Club Games is still fulfilling KS promises 3 years after release, and Shovel Knight is considered the gold standard for KS games

Yuke Quantum

Postby Yuke Quantum » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:06 pm

WyvernWings wrote:"What the hell are you doing playtonic"
lol. It's is my first time checking back on this forum in months and this is the first topic I saw. I see nothing has changed since I left. Just more incessant whining. And from none other than Exaskryz himself. Why am I not surprised?

Exaskryz wrote:why is the Switch not your priority? What the hell is going on?

Do you want the Switch version of Yooka Laylee to be a buggered, watered-down port that has even more glitches than the game had when it was first released? The Switch was produced right in the middle of the game's development, which would have been a very awkward transition from the failed Wii-U version. And being that it's quite a different kind of machine compared to the PC, PS4 and XONE, Of course it's going to take a while, especially for an Indie-studio of around 30 people. Some new bugs and other deficiencies could have popped up for that version in particular because of the hardware differences and need time to iron out. Rime is another Indie game that has yet to be released for the Switch after initially releasing for the PC, PS4 and XONE. These tasks take time, especially for smaller companies. Be. Patient. Find another game or hobby to hold you over. Hang the washing or something.

I think it's admirable, truly, as a business, Playtonic are actually prioritizing quality assurance for the Nintendo version (the one everybody wants) to make sure the game runs properly on the Switch, instead of rushing it out the doors to make a quick, undeserved buck, like what too many game studios are doing nowadays, especially the big boys like Ubisoft, WB Games and EA.

The point I'm trying make here: They are a business. They need to sell games to make money, so they can make more games. The more versions they make, the more money they can get, from the more copies they sell. Of course the Switch version's a friggin' priority. Nintendo is Yooka Laylee's main demographic. That's where the big bucks are.
You know what's also a priority? Not making a s**t game! I think that's a pretty good reason to wait a bit longer. Hell, many of Playtonic worked with Nintendo in the past. I think it'd be pretty clear they love Nintendo as much as we do. They were even developing the Wii U version in-house! What makes you think they aren't prioritizing a Nintendo version along with some extra polish from the inital versions?

I'm not defending Playtonic. I do not like some of the things they do. As a Kickstarter game, we should have got more development updates and better communication from them. They did not live up to a few of their promises such as the Wii U version and finishing polish for the initial versions of Yooka Laylee, and I hated how they handled the Jontron situation.
But I know a thing or two about the hurdles game development goes through and I'm sick of wasting my time explaining these hurdles to such spoilt, entitled man-children such as you who title their topics as "What the hell are you doing playtonic" as if whinging and insulting them is gonna make the Switch version come faster. Maybe you can encourage them a bit instead? Hope they do a good job? Improve their morale a bit? "Can't wait for the Switch version! Do your best!" In fact, I'm gonna do that right now, while you can continue your ongoing tantrum about Shovel Knight being an NPC.

Good god is anyone still reading this? Whatever. I'm sure there are others here who can explain this stuff shorter, calmer and more cohesively than I can.
I don't care how anyone responds to this, or not at all. I needed to get this off my chest. Sorry everyone. I met some wonderful and polite people during my time on these forums but I'm sad this drama is still happening.
Guess I won't be coming back for real anytime soon.

THIS!!!!!

And please don't go. I feel like too many of us who like game are being whittled down by these angsty peeps. We get sick of reading the poo-posts and log off for long periods, allowing the poo posters to captialize on forum real estate. Come join my thread about what I love about the game instead. I welcome you.
-Yuke Quantum
the thirst exploder

Piet

Postby Piet » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:39 pm

I like (even love) the game and completed it on my X1S (after buying one in April), but the guy has a point people.

This takes WAY too long.
Just release v1 on the Switch and update it at the same time as the other versions.
We also get way too few updates and if we get 'em, they contain vague info...

Yuke Quantum

Postby Yuke Quantum » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:52 pm

Piet wrote:I like (even love) the game and completed it on my X1S (after buying one in April), but the guy has a point people.

This takes WAY too long.
Just release v1 on the Switch and update it at the same time as the other versions.

I've seen you post about the trouble you had with your physical copies. (Which sucks and I'm sorry but-) It seems like they had issues with the shipping company.

I doubt you are the only one who has contacted them about x problem. They are doing what they can, as you said you found out later in your thread.

How do you expect them to update the game, appease dissatified backers, give detailed updates weekly... etc.?

Didn't the Switch just come out this past year? So in other words... how much heads up did PT have about Nintendo's game formatting? Probably none as the Switch just kind of landed amongst speculation and was released shorty after.

Plus you got a physical release of the game already and played it, why is the Switch version imperative to you? It will be buggier than your first playthrough probably.

So the real question is do you want the small team that is Playtonic to focus on updating fans or updating the game?
-Yuke Quantum
the thirst exploder

ShanPen

Postby ShanPen » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:12 am

PandaLover wrote:
ShanPen wrote:Patience. The already released versions were Playtonic's guinea pigs, which they are now fixing. And any improvements they add to those versions are going to be standard in the Switch version from day one, so I'm quite happy to wait for them to fix up the other versions first and get all the problems sorted so my Switch version will be even better when I finally get to play it.

You sound like one of those people who chooses to abstain from sex until marriage. You should get yourself a Nintendo Switch Purity Ring.

And you sound like a jerk. Why wouldn't someone want the best version of a game for when they finally get to play it? If people didn't care about quality, Playtonic wouldn't need to bother patching the currently released versions. If we wait a bit longer, Switch backers will have a good game and other backers will have a fixed game, everyone wins in the end. Rather than all backers getting problematic games that all have to be fixed.

Piet

Postby Piet » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:10 am

Yuke Quantum wrote:
Piet wrote:I like (even love) the game and completed it on my X1S (after buying one in April), but the guy has a point people.

This takes WAY too long.

I've seen you post about the trouble you had with your physical copies. (Which sucks and I'm sorry but-) It seems like they had issues with the shipping company.

I doubt you are the only one who has contacted them about x problem. They are doing what they can, as you said you found out later in your thread.

How do you expect them to update the game, appease dissatified backers, give detailed updates weekly... etc.?

Didn't the Switch just come out this past year? So in other words... how much heads up did PT have about Nintendo's game formatting? Probably none as the Switch just kind of landed amongst speculation and was released shorty after.

Plus you got a physical release of the game already and played it, why is the Switch version imperative to you? It will be buggier than your first playthrough probably.

So the real question is do you want the small team that is Playtonic to focus on updating fans or updating the game?

I think you are mistaking me for someone else...
I had no trouble with receiving any physical versions, 'cause I switches to the digital Switch version & my physical PC Deluxe edition did arrive right on time...

They have a pretty big team atm, so all of these things (/tasks) should've been taken care off.

They shot down the Wii U version and 'announced' the Switch version in December last year.
It it known that porting to the Switch is pretty easy and it is done by many companies (go look it up).

I bought the X1 myself, 'cause I couldn't/wouldn't wait any longer for my Switch version to arrive.
If it IS buggier than the other version, PTG will have a bad time, 'cause this whole 'Switch version thing' already takes friggin' ages + they said that the Switch version will have all latest updates included + it is ported/developed by PTG themselves.
And why I want it for the Switch so badly? These kind of games (BK successors) belong on Nintendo consoles, wheter you like it or not & it's portable!
That's why.

I want them to do both! They aren't that small of a campany anymore... Go look it up!
These tasks just go hand in hand with any job, at any company, in any kind of business.
It's called: Owning a company & organising.

Don't get me wrong, I still love the game & PTG, but sometimes it just feels like they are in WAY over their heads...

Yuke Quantum

Postby Yuke Quantum » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:49 pm

Piet wrote:
Yuke Quantum wrote:

This takes WAY too long.

I think you are mistaking me for someone else...
I had no trouble with receiving any physical versions, 'cause I switches to the digital Switch version & my physical PC Deluxe edition did arrive right on time...

They have a pretty big team atm, so all of these things (/tasks) should've been taken care off.

They shot down the Wii U version and 'announced' the Switch version in December last year.
It it known that porting to the Switch is pretty easy and it is done by many companies (go look it up).

I bought the X1 myself, 'cause I couldn't/wouldn't wait any longer for my Switch version to arrive.
If it IS buggier than the other version, PTG will have a bad time, 'cause this whole 'Switch version thing' already takes friggin' ages + they said that the Switch version will have all latest updates included + it is ported/developed by PTG themselves.
And why I want it for the Switch so badly? These kind of games (BK successors) belong on Nintendo consoles, wheter you like it or not & it's portable!
That's why.

I want them to do both! They aren't that small of a campany anymore... Go look it up!
These tasks just go hand in hand with any job, at any company, in any kind of business.
It's called: Owning a company & organising.

Don't get me wrong, I still love the game & PTG, but sometimes it just feels like they are in WAY over their heads...

You're right. I got you confused. You were just a poster on that thread. Sorry for that.

They don't have that big of a team (like 30 people, right?) but it definitely is at least double what it was when they started.

December 2016 is when they announced Switch right? So like 6 months ago. I don't know what's involved in porting games so I can't speak for that really (and shouldn't have attempted to) but from an idiot (me) looking in, it seems hard. It may be easy like you said, but I don't really know. I guess I based it off of companies had mentioned it was tough on Wii or Wii U or something. (Don't quote me, I don't remember where I read it but it was the Wii or Wii U era.) So I'll give you that one, you might know more than me there.

As for it "belonging" on a Nintendo console, I'll disagree with you there. This isn't fact but opinion so we'll drop that point on both sides, deal? (If you want to spar over this, we can, but no biting, no scratching, and no low blows :lol: )

I did take your advice and looked at the team breakdown here: http://www.playtonicgames.com/team/

I think it's important, while speaking of PR and fan updates, that we note they have no one at their company listed as PR. This means that they either contract a PR person (pay $) or do it themselves (someone gets more on their plate.)

I understand you're not being malicious and I hope you know I'm not either. My opinion on the updates is that they will come when they come. Sometimes crap pops up when you have another plan and you have to reroute. I'm not gonna quote John Lennon here. :lol:

I hope your day goes well and I look forward to your reply.
-Yuke Quantum
the thirst exploder

FailureFactory

Postby FailureFactory » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:03 pm

They're doing the game with Unity, so porting a game isn't that difficult in general. Of course, the Switch is still relatively new, so there probably isn't as many ways (besides official docs) to help them troubleshooting yet.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”