YL Switch Speculation Thread

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!

When Will Yooka-Laylee Release on Nintendo Switch?

June
No votes
July
5%
August
9%
September
9%
October
14%
November
27%
December
9%
9%
Never
18%

Total votes: 22

Rueckkoppler

Re: YL Switch Speculation Thread

Postby Rueckkoppler » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:04 pm

Piet wrote:
Rueckkoppler wrote:No, if there's a fault on Nintendos side, it's that they didn't send the dev kits earlier to Playtonic (they are/were very hesitant with that when it comes to indie devs). Unreal from now on & they will get along much nicer. Can't wait for Playtonic to refocus on a new game with consideration of all their previous faults. They're not Comcept and I really think they're willing to learn & improve from this.

Communication is bad indeed, but only in the context of the Kickstarter. They're in every right to keep quiet otherwise. I just hope they don't have serious troubles right now (which might be the case due to the lack of communication and they try to solve this before giving any news). But I don't expect this, the Switch has enough power & is port friendly. Maybe they set themselves some higher standards to polish this thing to run smoothly docked & undocked, which IS additional work. Basically two specs that every Switch dev has to work with.

One of the problems is that they kept saying ('cause they aren't saying anything atm, lol) that it was coming 'soon'. 'Soon' has passed like 10x already.
In my eyes that's just plain lying.
Nothing less, nothing more.

And also, why do you think they will learn from their mistakes? How can you know if they just DON'T COMMUNICATE...

Mistakes in terms of the actual game, which is most important to me. They don’t need to learn to communicate if they won’t rely on Kickstarter supporters in the future who claim news of the development all the time (which they rightfully do in that particular case).

Yes, it was a mistake to say “soon”, but wait. Didn’t they say they “hope to have news soon”? That’s a huge difference. As far as we know, the current status is that they’re not confident enough to give more details on this.

UPDATE:

Playtonic wrote:Hello! Because it's been a little while since we last refreshed you on our progress, today we have an update on our efforts to complete Yooka-Laylee for Nintendo Switch.

The Playtonic team has been working tirelessly to bring Yooka-Laylee to Nintendo Switch and we're very nearly there (we promise!) However, we've encountered some final technical hurdles and had been waiting for the arrival of Unity 5.6 in order to fix them. Although this has now been released, it has unfortunately introduced other issues which we are working with Unity to resolve before we can submit to Nintendo and lock in our release timeline.

We understand the frustration that it's taken so long to get the game in your hands but we hope that you understand that we're working as fast as we can and want the game to perform as well as it possibly can on Switch. Once these remaining issues are resolved we hope to finally be able to commit to and share a launch date. Thanks as ever for your patience and please bear with us - we are getting there!

In the meantime, see this page for a sneak peak of how the lizard and bat are looking!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pl ... ts/1997576

As expected, it didn't go smoothly. Same case as it's been since we started whining about the wait: They only share info when confident. And they have issues that have arisen in a short-term, they don't slack of on purpose. And hey, there's even a short clip of the game running on Switch.
Last edited by Rueckkoppler on Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

baker_boy0017

Postby baker_boy0017 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:02 pm

Just to play devil's advocate, might they have not been working on the switch version during a lot of this time? They said they've been waiting for a new unity release to fix a certain bug... that seems to imply that they stopped working on the switch release until that unity issue could be fixed. I've got to say I'm not impressed at all now that they are saying there are MORE bugs to deal with in this new version of unity, but it is what it is. Like I've said before, I feel bad for them: this development is not going smoothly.

At the same time, I like to think they were doing something else of significance while they were waiting. Perhaps the dlc, perhaps the 64 bit shader, perhaps some extra Switch goodie? I highly doubt that last one, but in times like these we need something to keep our heads up lol.

What I'm most curious about is what the timeline will look like once they submit it to Nintendo. I've heard lots of things suggesting that Nintendo tends to REALLY take their time with these things. I think that is the bigger worry than however long it takes Playtonic to fix the game. I like to think fixing the game might take 1, possibly 2 months from here. But Nintendo giving it the "OK" for release... I fear for that.

Now I also had a humongous rant about how Playtonic has really dropped the ball in communicating to backers about the Switch release, but I'm just sick of saying the same things over and over again. So I'll just say "Good luck, Platyonic," and leave it at that. Sigh...

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:09 pm

baker_boy0017 wrote:Just to play devil's advocate, might they have not been working on the switch version during a lot of this time? They said they've been waiting for a new unity release to fix a certain bug... that seems to imply that they stopped working on the switch release until that unity issue could be fixed. I've got to say I'm not impressed at all now that they are saying there are MORE bugs to deal with in this new version of unity, but it is what it is. Like I've said before, I feel bad for them: this development is not going smoothly.

At the same time, I like to think they were doing something else of significance while they were waiting. Perhaps the dlc, perhaps the 64 bit shader, perhaps some extra Switch goodie? I highly doubt that last one, but in times like these we need something to keep our heads up lol.

What I'm most curious about is what the timeline will look like once they submit it to Nintendo. I've heard lots of things suggesting that Nintendo tends to REALLY take their time with these things. I think that is the bigger worry than however long it takes Playtonic to fix the game. I like to think fixing the game might take 1, possibly 2 months from here. But Nintendo giving it the "OK" for release... I fear for that.

Now I also had a humongous rant about how Playtonic has really dropped the ball in communicating to backers about the Switch release, but I'm just sick of saying the same things over and over again. So I'll just say "Good luck, Platyonic," and leave it at that. Sigh...

^This. I think they will certainly tell when they send the game to Nintendo, once it's ready.

Playtonic wrote:However, we've encountered some final technical hurdles and had been waiting for the arrival of Unity 5.6 in order to fix them. Although this has now been released, it has unfortunately introduced other issues which we are working with Unity to resolve before we can submit to Nintendo and lock in our release timeline.

But what I wonder about, Unity 5.6 got released on March 31st this year. Did they mean something else?

Piet

Postby Piet » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:00 pm

New update:
Nothing new... :')

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:33 pm

Piet wrote:New update:

Aren't you a bit smarter about the development process after this update?

I should stop responding to such posts...

Piet

Postby Piet » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:39 pm

Rueckkoppler wrote:
Piet wrote:New update:

Aren't you a bit smarter about the development process after this update?

I should stop responding to such posts...

I'm out. I have better things to do.
I don't want to get frustrated about this shitstorm anymore. :)

FSY

Postby FSY » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:25 am

Rueckkoppler wrote:But what I wonder about, Unity 5.6 got released on March 31st this year. Did they mean something else?

The 5.6 release blog post you linked mentions that Switch support finally got added in 5.6.
It's possible that they worked with one of the 5.6 betas before that and hope, that Unity would resolve all issues with the official release.

For me, Playtonic's statement more sounds like a long term description of what happened/what's holding the game up, not like something that just recently popped up.
I read it as "In the beginning of the year we were working on the Switch version with the 5.6 beta. There were still some engine problems but since it was a beta, we were confident (and maybe even in contact with Unity) that they would work it out in the official release. Sadly, the official release introduced some new problems that weren't present in the beta and we're still working with Unity to fix them.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:23 pm

But that must mean that they’re having these issues since April, because the full release of 5.6 came then. Even if that explains how they missed the release month, still a lot of time passed in which they must’ve been in contact with the Unity devs. But I guess these issues are the factor x that we can’t fully understand with our current knowledge.

Piet

Postby Piet » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:06 am

Rueckkoppler wrote:But that must mean that they’re having these issues since April, because the full release of 5.6 came then. Even if that explains how they missed the release month, still a lot of time passed in which they must’ve been in contact with the Unity devs. But I guess these issues are the factor x that we can’t fully understand with our current knowledge.

They never go into full detail, so we'll never know what's up exactly..
Having unfollowed them everywhere calms me down a lot btw. :)

Zita

Postby Zita » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:18 am

Even tho I'm mostly just lurking around the forums these days and just quietly read what is happening over here, I really have to get this off my chest and I may or may not be getting a warning or a ban from the mods for this, but I really can't keep quiet about this anymore.

Honestly Piet, I've had it up to HERE with you and your condescending comments.

Trust me, I, and at this point probably everybody else in these forums, can tell you are frustrated and you have every right to be so and to express your feelings, but at this point, all you're doing is trolling and poo-poo talking.
What the heck is even wrong with you? First you're all happy and giddy and excited about the game, like most of us were, then they anounce canceling the WiiU version and you go into a straight up rage fit, then calm down again for a few months stating quietly that their approach may not have been the best (talking mostly about communication, but more about that later) but still being curious about where this is going, and now you're back to being an facetious asshat to them??

True, Playtonic don't communicate much with us, which is debatably not the best thing, however as far as I've noticed they quickly respond to most questions and inquiries sent to them on twitter or per email, with a few exceptions. "Hurr durr but I don't use Twitter and having scattered news sources like that is a waste of time and energy anyway", that is because they only ever write actual news posts on their Kickstarter or Webpage when there is actually something to announce. What would you have them do, keep a detailed diary about how many bugs they fixed today, the approach they were trying to make with different algorythms and wether it worked or caused even more bugs? Now THAT would be a waste of time and resources.
"But if they don't keep us updated, that must mean they aren't working on anything!" Bruh, seriously. There are a lot of things they may or may not be working on during this time, that includes the Switch Version, the DLC, and the 64 bit Shaders. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it even Team 17 who was supposed to take care of the ports of the game? If that was the case, then there's not even anything they can directly do about it all instead of maybe fixing a few small things by themselves.
And those things about the port being supposedly soooo easy to make, have you ever actually ported a video game from one console to another? Do you actually know what has to be done to make a game run on another platform? I've read it before that some people think that it's as simple as pushing a button in the engines settings, but it's not that window cleaning easy. Other games may have been able to part their games within a week, and they can probably count themselves lucky they didn't run into the same problems PG has run into. Whatever they are, they are working on it to fix this the best they can and still give us a good gaming experience, in my eyes, the delay is punishment enough and they don't need a whiney dickhead make fun of them for not being as fast as other developers.

If you actually still care about this game, at all, just be. window cleaning. Patient. You've voiced your opinion more times than I can count, Playtonic has acknoledged you're frustrated as well as many others and they're still trying their best to work as fast as they can. Things didn't go as smoothly as expected, but for fucks sake, cut them some slack.
If you're so done with Playtonic, then do as you said in your previous post and just leave. I certainly won't miss you. But instead you keep coming back just to talk poo-poo? Seriously? Are you butthurt over a video game that much?

Go be frustrated, go critique them any way you want, but for cupcake's sake, stop being a window cleaning dick.
Website | deviantArt | FurAffinity | tumblr

Piet

Postby Piet » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:37 pm

Ahww man.. I really didn't want to comment on this forums anymore...

I'll keep it short.
You talk about 'all the people on these forums', while (nearly) nobody is here anymore, but that's just a little aspect (but still saying a lot).

I'll stop right here, 'cause I don't want to "stress" about this game anymore.

Have a nice life.

Bye. :D

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:02 pm

Piet wrote:Ahww man.. I really didn't want to comment on this forums anymore...

I'll keep it short.
You talk about 'all the people on these forums', while (nearly) nobody is here anymore, but that's just a little aspect (but still saying a lot.

More people read than post in these forums right now, especially when they’ve got nothing to add to the discussion. You should consider this as well. You didn’t even add something to her comment (other than this one example you used to dodge the point she’s trying to make), so that is indeed saying a lot (to quote you).

Piet

Postby Piet » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:18 pm

I answered all her "questions" in this and other topics. You don't want me to repeat stuff (anymore), so I won't. ;)
:lol:

baker_boy0017

Postby baker_boy0017 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:16 pm

I have to say, I wouldn't exactly mind a weekly log where Playtonic does tell us what is and isn't going on with the game. I mean, isn't Andy Robinson's whole job supposed to be communicating with us? I imagine he's got plenty of time to spare for this... just sit down for thirty minutes a week and write up the progress. I personally would love that, just to feel like things are definitely progressing. It could even help garner some sympathy for Playtonic when we keep seeing the same bug every week lol.

Am I really alone in liking that idea?

FailureFactory

Postby FailureFactory » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:06 pm

Piet is one of the reasons why I don't post here anymore. It's like trying to have a conversation with a baby crying next to you.

baker_boy0017

Postby baker_boy0017 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:46 pm

^^^ I like your analogy simply because I'm a father and that's been my life the last few months LOL. It's the reason babies are so cute: defense mechanism against all the crying.

Anyway, as disappointed as I've been from how the Switch stuff has been going so far, there is NO DENYING how excited I am for when I finally get to play on the Switch. My wife and I would hook up the computer to the TV, which would get cumbersome. But with the Switch, ah man! Anywhere I want, super easily, even on the TV!

Maybe I'll try getting those Green and "Purple" Splatoon 2 joycons just for the occasion...

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”