YL Switch Speculation Thread

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!

When Will Yooka-Laylee Release on Nintendo Switch?

June
No votes
July
4%
August
9%
September
9%
October
13%
November
26%
December
13%
9%
Never
17%

Total votes: 23

Piet

Re: YL Switch Speculation Thread

Postby Piet » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:04 am

Rueckkoppler wrote:
Alph wrote:I'm going to guess 2018 at this point, it seems like they are having a lot of trouble with this version and the months are just flying by with no new news.

Personally, I think a release next year could work out for the best, as long as it releases as "Yooka Laylee Deluxe" and comes bundled with all DLC and some new content (like a DK64 themed bonus level featuring Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong). It will avoid releasing alongside Super Mario Oddysey while the new content would help revive interest in the game.

Good for avoiding Mario Odyssee at one point, but I'd really like them to still release that thing as soon as possible and not put additional factors as reasons for another delay. Game is still cheaper than Mario Odyssee (50%, isn't it?), so there's a selling point. I just reeeeally want to play it already :roll:

But yeah, nice idea nonetheless, I give credit to that. But a >10 month delay for Nintendo players is really terrible...

The whole situation is terrible already...

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:59 am

Piet wrote:
Rueckkoppler wrote:
Alph wrote:I'm going to guess 2018 at this point, it seems like they are having a lot of trouble with this version and the months are just flying by with no new news.

Personally, I think a release next year could work out for the best, as long as it releases as "Yooka Laylee Deluxe" and comes bundled with all DLC and some new content (like a DK64 themed bonus level featuring Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong). It will avoid releasing alongside Super Mario Oddysey while the new content would help revive interest in the game.

Good for avoiding Mario Odyssee at one point, but I'd really like them to still release that thing as soon as possible and not put additional factors as reasons for another delay. Game is still cheaper than Mario Odyssee (50%, isn't it?), so there's a selling point. I just reeeeally want to play it already :roll:

But yeah, nice idea nonetheless, I give credit to that. But a >10 month delay for Nintendo players is really terrible...

The whole situation is terrible already...

It's going to be better once it's out and the next game approaches.

Andy wrote:The reason we only share the date when it's 100% is not to disappoint anyone. The game is currently running great on Switch

https://twitter.com/AndyPlaytonic/statu ... 5978660869

Enjoy Mario + Rabbids in the meantime. :) When I think about it, it's great that Grant Kirkhope left Rare. That way, we can still enjoy his music on Nintendo platforms :mrgreen:

NPChilla

Postby NPChilla » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:59 pm

It's still that case that YL on Nintendo Switch will be digital only, right?

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:22 pm

NPChilla wrote:It's still that case that YL on Nintendo Switch will be digital only, right?

Yes. We might hear news about a physical version once the release is imminent (comparing it to how it went down with the PS4/XBOX One versions).

ShanPen

Postby ShanPen » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:37 am

NPChilla wrote:It's still that case that YL on Nintendo Switch will be digital only, right?

For Kickstarter backer rewards they said they could only do digital Switch versions due to cost and logistics.

But when asked, they've said that they do want to release physical Switch retail copies. So maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part, but from the bits and pieces I've read on Twitter or seen/heard in interviews, I got the vibe that they were already looking into the possibility of whether a physical Switch release was feasible for them or not.

Piet

Postby Piet » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:52 am

I just can't understand that you guys are even talking/thinking about a physical version atm, while we don't know anything about the digital version yet...
That's even surpassing the 'wishful thinking' stage... :roll:

Oh and I must say Mario + Rabbids is a true masterpiece.
First, I thought this game was going to be sh*tty (in my mind there wasn't even a 1% change that I was going to buy it), but imho it's the 2nd best Switch game (JUST after BotW) atm.
And Grant's music is magnificent! <3
I.LOVE.IT.!

ShanPen

Postby ShanPen » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:19 pm

Piet wrote:I just can't understand that you guys are even talking/thinking about a physical version atm, while we don't know anything about the digital version yet...
That's even surpassing the 'wishful thinking' stage... :roll:

Just because the Switch game isn't finished yet and they haven't told us much about its progress, doesn't mean we can't think of the other parts of the process of "releasing a game" to discuss; logistics such as how they might market it, and what format the game might be released on, rather than just being hung up on "But release date tho?" :roll:

Piet

Postby Piet » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:32 pm

YES, AN UPDATE! FINALLY!!!

New Insert Coin t-shirts available.
That's the update we all wanted...
Right? RIGHT!!??

At this moment, nobody can deny anymore that this is taking WAY TOO LONG... Fact. :roll:

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:52 pm

I'll try to not think about the game and respond here until we got news... okay crap, I just did.

Piet

Postby Piet » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:29 pm

The last Switch version "update" was on August 4th (so, more than a month ago) and it was only a screenshot.
That communication skills tho! :O

ShanPen

Postby ShanPen » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:52 pm

Piet wrote:At this moment, nobody can deny anymore that this is taking WAY TOO LONG... Fact. :roll:

Disagree. I think it is taking as long as it needs to (ie. I don't think they are deliberately dawdling) for them to do it properly and make sure they get out as many bugs as possible. Doesn't mean I don't wish it would happen faster though, or that they'd be a bit more forthcoming with the news.

Piet wrote:New Insert Coin t-shirts available.
That's the update we all wanted...
Right? RIGHT!!??

Yeah that seems like a weird move to make - advertising new merchandise - when they know so many people are getting impatient for or have already gotten angry over there being no Switch version yet. Would have thought it would be better to wait until the Switch version is out too, to advertise merch. Unless it means they are getting the merch shop up and ready because they are about to release the Switch version and this merch is part of the ramp up in marketing for the new game version (but I still think it would have been better to wait until after the Switch release).

FailureFactory

Postby FailureFactory » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:22 am

The whining here has become unbearable. Curiously enough, things don't happen faster if you complain about them every other day, Piet. And spreading your misery won't make it go away, either. What could would be if you tried not focusing on Yooka-Laylee for a week or two. Because honestly, the game's not worth it. When you play it, you'll see that and be disappointed. And this is true regardless of how good you think the game is, because nothing would be worth the agony you make yourself - and everybody trying to enjoy themselves here - go through.

ninjafox1989

Postby ninjafox1989 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:11 pm

With the Nintendo Direct coming tomorrow hopefully we will hear some news on the Switch version.

I keep been tempted to buy the physical PS4 version as it's only £20 but as I backed the Wii U version originally then moved to the Switch I really want to hold off as I think the portability will be good.

I can't see me been disappointed with Yooka-Laylee, when I played it at EGX last year I had a big smile on my face through the whole demo and loved it.

SenSx

Postby SenSx » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:29 pm

I doubt we hear anything during the Nintendo Direct.
They said news will come from their own sources.

Piet

Postby Piet » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:46 am

SenSx wrote:I doubt we hear anything during the Nintendo Direct.
They said news will come from their own sources.

In 2019 (probably). :)

metalreflectslime

Postby metalreflectslime » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:42 am

There was no mention of Yooka-Laylee in yesterday's Nintendo Direct.

I think Yooka-Laylee will release on the Nintendo Switch in 2018.

The NS port will be dead on arrival as few people would want to play it with Super Mario Odyssey already released.

Piet

Postby Piet » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:25 pm

metalreflectslime wrote:There was no mention of Yooka-Laylee in yesterday's Nintendo Direct.

I think Yooka-Laylee will release on the Nintendo Switch in 2018.

The NS port will be dead on arrival as few people would want to play it with Super Mario Odyssey already released.

If it's going to be 2018, I will ingore PTG forever from now on.
Nintendo fans got kicked in balls already (multiple times)...

baker_boy0017

Postby baker_boy0017 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:50 pm

Yeah, at this point I highly doubt Yooka-Laylee is releasing this year for Switch. Sure, there is still a chance, but I think yesterday's Nintendo Direct is pretty condemning evidence. I heard Playtonic (apparently?) said all YL info would be coming directly from them, so it is possible they just don't want to be involved in things like the Directs... but I feel I remember Andy Robinson commenting about the "Nindies" showcase a few weeks ago that they "missed" the deadline or something. The fact that they would miss another "deadline" for another Nintendo event suggests two things to me.

1. Yooka-Laylee may be a lot further away than we want to believe
2. Playtonic is very much hard at work making this game come to life on Switch, and can't afford to spend time doing any PR.

There is a bright side to all of this: by assuming the game won't launch until next year, news suggesting it will come this year will be a wonderful surprise.

Piet

Postby Piet » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:08 pm

SenSx

Postby SenSx » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:21 pm

Ok, I'm starting the game right now.

I have it on PC Steam, and have always planned to play it on this platform.
But I was waiting for the remaining content to play: DLC, Orchestral Score (won't surprise me if this is cancelled though), N64 Shader, and maybe other improvements.
I always wait for everything to be released before playing a game.
That is why I was waiting for the switch release, it would release them from the port, and enable them to work on the remaining stuff.

But I can't wait anymore, I'm weak...

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”