YL Switch Speculation Thread

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!

When Will Yooka-Laylee Release on Nintendo Switch?

June
0
No votes
July
1
4%
August
2
9%
September
2
9%
October
3
13%
November
6
26%
December
3
13%
2018
2
9%
Never
4
17%
 
Total votes: 23

metalreflectslime
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:12 pm

Re: YL Switch Speculation Thread

Postby metalreflectslime » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:22 am

I voted "Never" in the poll.

shootbang
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:28 am

Re: YL Switch Speculation Thread

Postby shootbang » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:01 am

I tried to warn everyone that it would be 2018 or later and no one believed me. I remember arguing about it with FangztheWolf and Scrubber and Piet among others.

They forget that this game is 30fps even on the mighty PS4 Pro. They probably need to rebuild the whole game from the ground up in order to get it working on Switch.

User avatar
Rueckkoppler
Posts: 1068
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:22 pm

Re: YL Switch Speculation Thread

Postby Rueckkoppler » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:46 pm

shootbang wrote:I tried to warn everyone that it would be 2018 or later and no one believed me. I remember arguing about it with FangztheWolf and Scrubber and Piet among others.

They forget that this game is 30fps even on the mighty PS4 Pro. They probably need to rebuild the whole game from the ground up in order to get it working on Switch.


Why would they need to rebuild it? Would be better for the port, but I wonder why? Unity is supported on Switch anyway?

NPChilla
Posts: 460
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:58 pm

Re: YL Switch Speculation Thread

Postby NPChilla » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:45 pm

If YL does come out on Switch in 2018, any remaining goodwill might finally evaporate.

metalreflectslime
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:12 pm

Re: YL Switch Speculation Thread

Postby metalreflectslime » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:05 pm

If Yooka-Laylee on the Nintendo Switch fails to run at minimum 1080p / 60 fps, then I will not buy it.

Piet
Posts: 675
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:31 am

Re: YL Switch Speculation Thread

Postby Piet » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:56 am

Rueckkoppler wrote:
shootbang wrote:I tried to warn everyone that it would be 2018 or later and no one believed me. I remember arguing about it with FangztheWolf and Scrubber and Piet among others.
They forget that this game is 30fps even on the mighty PS4 Pro. They probably need to rebuild the whole game from the ground up in order to get it working on Switch.

Why would they need to rebuild it? Would be better for the port, but I wonder why? Unity is supported on Switch anyway?

The 'rebuilding' comment is total b*llsh*t.
Unity is supported on Switch and he is just making stuff up...

metalreflectslime wrote:If Yooka-Laylee on the Nintendo Switch fails to run at minimum 1080p / 60 fps, then I will not buy it.

It will run on 30fps for sure...

metalreflectslime
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:12 pm

Re: YL Switch Speculation Thread

Postby metalreflectslime » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:51 am

Does Yooka-Laylee run 60 fps on PS4 or XB1?

Piet
Posts: 675
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:31 am

Re: YL Switch Speculation Thread

Postby Piet » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:03 am

metalreflectslime wrote:Does Yooka-Laylee run 60 fps on PS4 or XB1?

No.

shootbang
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:28 am

Re: YL Switch Speculation Thread

Postby shootbang » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:04 am

Piet wrote:The 'rebuilding' comment is total b*llsh*t.
Unity is supported on Switch and he is just making stuff up...

Uh huh, remember when you said that games could be ported to Switch in a week and that there was no way YL would be 2018? Clearly I'm the one making stuff up and you know everything.

If it's so easy like you said then what's taking so long?

Maybe Playtonic just took your money and ran? Gullible Nintendo fans funded a game for PS4 and Xbox? Is that what you're saying?

User avatar
baker_boy0017
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon May 22, 2017 8:07 pm

Re: YL Switch Speculation Thread

Postby baker_boy0017 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:49 am

I won't deny the possibility that the game has needed some major rework to run on Switch solely because of the utter lack of news. With that said, they had the game RUNNING on Switch months ago as evidenced by screenshots. It is incredibly more likely to me that they simply spent almost none of that time working on it, given how long the console versions took to merely patch. While rebuilding the game from scratch isn't a complete impossibility, I think it's still out there. But hey, what do I know: I thought for sure we would at least have a release date by September.

I'm stupidly hopeful for a nice update this month where we might finally get some decent news. But I say "stupidly" hopeful for a reason. At the very least, Playtonic must be having some serious trouble with things of some sort (even if it's just the communication).

Piet
Posts: 675
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:31 am

Re: YL Switch Speculation Thread

Postby Piet » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:49 am

shootbang wrote:
Piet wrote:The 'rebuilding' comment is total b*llsh*t.
Unity is supported on Switch and he is just making stuff up...

Uh huh, remember when you said that games could be ported to Switch in a week and that there was no way YL would be 2018? Clearly I'm the one making stuff up and you know everything.

If it's so easy like you said then what's taking so long?

Maybe Playtonic just took your money and ran? Gullible Nintendo fans funded a game for PS4 and Xbox? Is that what you're saying?

Uhmm, many developers stated that porting games to the Switch is pretty easy & not very time consuming and SOME of them got their game(s) running on the Switch WITHIN a week (i.e. Snakepass). I'm not making anything up, these are facts.
And I said 'no way it's going to be 2018', in the sense that it would be absurd and utterly shitty if PTG can't get is realesed in 2017 (which is still 3,5 months long).

And I also want to know what is taking them so long, 'cause I just can't understand it either, but their communication towards their (now ex) fans is SO terrible...

And nothing surprises me anymore at this point, tbh. :)

baker_boy0017 wrote:I won't deny the possibility that the game has needed some major rework to run on Switch solely because of the utter lack of news. With that said, they had the game RUNNING on Switch months ago as evidenced by screenshots. It is incredibly more likely to me that they simply spent almost none of that time working on it, given how long the console versions took to merely patch. While rebuilding the game from scratch isn't a complete impossibility, I think it's still out there. But hey, what do I know: I thought for sure we would at least have a release date by September.

I'm stupidly hopeful for a nice update this month where we might finally get some decent news. But I say "stupidly" hopeful for a reason. At the very least, Playtonic must be having some serious trouble with things of some sort (even if it's just the communication).

I also have the feeling the they are slacking off and NO that's not rude, 'cause if they're not, they should give us PROPER updates. Period.
Even if they are having troubles, they should inform us about said troubles. No excuses.
I'm not waiting for anything anymore... Let them do whatever they want...

Does anyone think I sound 'entitled'? Idc. I'm right tho. ;)

Yuke Quantum
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:24 pm

Re: YL Switch Speculation Thread

Postby Yuke Quantum » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:23 am

I don't own a Switch and it doesn't influence my experience with the game nor my opinion, but how they have handled this particular area is absurd. They definitely should own up to where they dropped the ball and let their fans who want to play it on Switch know an ETD. And emphasis ESTIMATED if they are that uncertain.

We're also still waiting for the 64bit and the toybox secret. And if the toybox secret is just the 64bit, honestly, I'm gonna be disappointed.
-Yuke Quantum
the thirst exploder

User avatar
Scrubber
Posts: 1376
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:33 pm

Re: YL Switch Speculation Thread

Postby Scrubber » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:28 am

Is this seriously not out on switch yet?

"Coming soon" really shouldn't have been used.

Piet
Posts: 675
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:31 am

Re: YL Switch Speculation Thread

Postby Piet » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:34 am

Scrubber wrote:Is this seriously not out on switch yet?

"Coming soon" really shouldn't have been used.

Not released, no release date, no info, NOTHING.

They showed YL in Ninties first (if I remember correctly) Switch indie games show and they said it was coming 'REALLY SOON'.
That was in March/April... :lol:

Can everybody FINALLY agree with me that PTG is f'ing this up badly? :')

shootbang
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:28 am

Re: YL Switch Speculation Thread

Postby shootbang » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:30 pm

Piet wrote:Not released, no release date, no info, NOTHING.

They showed YL in Ninties first (if I remember correctly) Switch indie games show and they said it was coming 'REALLY SOON'.
That was in March/April... :lol:

Can everybody FINALLY agree with me that PTG is f'ing this up badly? :')

The blame falls solely on Nintendo for releasing a console in 2017 with a two year old chipset that is too weak to run Yooka Laylee.

Also you should blame yourself for thinking that this port would be a quick and easy process rather than a massive undertaking to overcome the limitations of Nintendo hardware.

Most reasonable people (like me) saw this coming a mile away, but for some reason others refuse to accept reality.

Piet
Posts: 675
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:31 am

Re: YL Switch Speculation Thread

Postby Piet » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:13 am

shootbang wrote:
Piet wrote:Not released, no release date, no info, NOTHING.

They showed YL in Ninties first (if I remember correctly) Switch indie games show and they said it was coming 'REALLY SOON'.
That was in March/April... :lol:

Can everybody FINALLY agree with me that PTG is f'ing this up badly? :')

The blame falls solely on Nintendo for releasing a console in 2017 with a two year old chipset that is too weak to run Yooka Laylee.

Also you should blame yourself for thinking that this port would be a quick and easy process rather than a massive undertaking to overcome the limitations of Nintendo hardware.

Most reasonable people (like me) saw this coming a mile away, but for some reason others refuse to accept reality.

The Switch too weak to run YL? :'D Keep fooling yourself.
It can run BotW, MK8;D (1080p60), Splatoon (1080p60), SMO (720(?)p60) MANYYY other games on 60fps and/or 1080p & it can even run really demanding games like DOOM, Wolfstein, Skyrim, etc.
+ YL isn't really detailed texture (etc.) wise, so that's not the problem either (YL is WAY less demanding than MANY other games). If YL would be running at 720p30 on Switch, people would be fine with that. So stop with the nonsense explanations. :'D
MK8 on Wii U even runs on 720p60 & SSB4 on 1080p60 for god's sake (want another example? Okay: Bayonetta), so their Wii U "excuse" was BS too (still no detailed explanation )... :')
0% Nintendo's fault. 0%.

Blaming myself? PTG is the party that says 'coming (really) soon' all the time... :')
So, that's another point of yours that total nonsense.

If you're so smart (which you aren't by judging your earlier comments), why didn't you tell everyone that YL for Switch will certainly be released more than half a year later than the other versions..? Now please stop with your 'white knighting'. :lol:

FSY
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:28 am

Re: YL Switch Speculation Thread

Postby FSY » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:36 am

shootbang wrote:The blame falls solely on Nintendo for releasing a console in 2017 with a two year old chipset that is too weak to run Yooka Laylee.

So, it's Nintendo's fault if(big if there) the game doesn't run on the Switch, which is more powerful than the Wii U, when Playtonic first said they'd bring the game to the Wii U? :lol: They first claimed the game would run on an even weaker console, so how can this be Nintendo's fault, exactly?

Also, as Piet pointed out, there's lots of great games on the Switch that look at least as good as YL.

Maybe performance issues aren't even a problem they have. But if they do, it's certainly not Nintendo's fault.

Piet
Posts: 675
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:31 am

Re: YL Switch Speculation Thread

Postby Piet » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:39 am

FSY wrote:
shootbang wrote:The blame falls solely on Nintendo for releasing a console in 2017 with a two year old chipset that is too weak to run Yooka Laylee.

So, it's Nintendo's fault if(big if there) the game doesn't run on the Switch, which is more powerful than the Wii U, when Playtonic first said they'd bring the game to the Wii U? :lol: They first claimed the game would run on an even weaker console, so how can this be Nintendo's fault, exactly?

Also, as Piet pointed out, there's lots of great games on the Switch that look at least as good as YL.

Maybe performance issues aren't even a problem they have. But if they do, it's certainly not Nintendo's fault.

Preach! ^

User avatar
Rueckkoppler
Posts: 1068
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:22 pm

Re: YL Switch Speculation Thread

Postby Rueckkoppler » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:18 pm

No, if there's a fault on Nintendos side, it's that they didn't send the dev kits earlier to Playtonic (they are/were very hesitant with that when it comes to indie devs). Unreal from now on & they will get along much nicer. Can't wait for Playtonic to refocus on a new game with consideration of all their previous faults. They're not Comcept and I really think they're willing to learn & improve from this.

Communication is bad indeed, but only in the context of the Kickstarter. They're in every right to keep quiet otherwise. I just hope they don't have serious troubles right now (which might be the case due to the lack of communication and they try to solve this before giving any news). But I don't expect this, the Switch has enough power & is port friendly. Maybe they set themselves some higher standards to polish this thing to run smoothly docked & undocked, which IS additional work. Basically two specs that every Switch dev has to work with.

Piet
Posts: 675
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:31 am

Re: YL Switch Speculation Thread

Postby Piet » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:08 pm

Rueckkoppler wrote:No, if there's a fault on Nintendos side, it's that they didn't send the dev kits earlier to Playtonic (they are/were very hesitant with that when it comes to indie devs). Unreal from now on & they will get along much nicer. Can't wait for Playtonic to refocus on a new game with consideration of all their previous faults. They're not Comcept and I really think they're willing to learn & improve from this.

Communication is bad indeed, but only in the context of the Kickstarter. They're in every right to keep quiet otherwise. I just hope they don't have serious troubles right now (which might be the case due to the lack of communication and they try to solve this before giving any news). But I don't expect this, the Switch has enough power & is port friendly. Maybe they set themselves some higher standards to polish this thing to run smoothly docked & undocked, which IS additional work. Basically two specs that every Switch dev has to work with.

One of the problems is that they kept saying ('cause they aren't saying anything atm, lol) that it was coming 'soon'. 'Soon' has passed like 10x already.
In my eyes that's just plain lying.
Nothing less, nothing more.

And also, why do you think they will learn from their mistakes? How can you know if they just DON'T COMMUNICATE...


Return to “Yooka-Laylee”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Tek and 8 guests