Playtonic: What we Want to Hear About

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Piet

Re: Playtonic: What we Want to Hear About

Postby Piet » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:50 pm

Another day without official news.
Great! :roll:

baker_boy0017

Postby baker_boy0017 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:33 pm

I wonder how difficult it is for them to get the "final OK" on this patch? I will say it again: I really hope they only develop on a single platform next time. If it has to be Steam, so be it. Of course I'd prefer Switch, but that's my Nintendo bias coming out.

If they don't deliver a full-blown update post with the release of the console patch I will be massively disappointed. Come on Playtonic!

Looks like we'll need to wait until next week for another update... unless they get one together in the next hour or so.

Operationgamer17

Postby Operationgamer17 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:59 pm

SenSx

Postby SenSx » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:13 am

baker_boy0017 wrote:I wonder how difficult it is for them to get the "final OK" on this patch? I will say it again: I really hope they only develop on a single platform next time. If it has to be Steam, so be it. Of course I'd prefer Switch, but that's my Nintendo bias coming out.

If they don't deliver a full-blown update post with the release of the console patch I will be massively disappointed. Come on Playtonic!

Looks like we'll need to wait until next week for another update... unless they get one together in the next hour or so.

All games will always be better on a PC: graphics, better framerate, keyboard/ Mouse or Gamepad, and updtates are much easier to make.

It always annoys me when a game is on many platforms, because I know the devs will waist time devellopping on it ><

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:27 am

The only reasons for the delay of the Switch version is the previous focus on the Wii U and the short-term start of the development of the Switch version. I'm 100% certain they'd release the game on it day one if the Switch was out for a year already / Nintendo gave them the dev kits much earlier.

Piet

Postby Piet » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:59 am

'Console patch very, very soon.'
^ 5 days ago... -_-

Yuke Quantum

Postby Yuke Quantum » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:04 pm

I've defended Playtonic's barely existent PR before as I'm sure some of you are aware and took part in the discussion, however, I don't think I can jump to their aid this time. It's been far too long without an update... even one just saying, "hey, we're still alive." And I don't use twitter for a source, I come to the website for updates, as I'm sure many of their true fans do.

The true fans all made accounts through their website to discuss in their forums, as we are doing. I can understand them having difficulty at first with PR and communicating, but now it's been so long without any info that I feel like a fool for defending them.

I had thought that for sure they would get to it, but they haven't.

This is nothing against the game - the game is fantastic and I disagree with most reviewers' issues. I think the game itself is great. The issue here is the lack of communicating to loyal fans.

Playtonic, if you need a PR peep, let me know where to send my resume. ;)
-Yuke Quantum
the thirst exploder

baker_boy0017

Postby baker_boy0017 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:34 pm

I was defending them just under two weeks ago; I was convinced they were holding back an update for when they could announce the console patches were live. And yet here we are now, nearly two weeks later, and nothing to show for it at all. This is basically the first website I check every morning, hoping there is new info. But alas... :cry:

Operationgamer17

Postby Operationgamer17 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:43 pm

People can be so impatient, can they?

baker_boy0017

Postby baker_boy0017 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:44 am

It's not like we are asking for a lot: just an update to remind us that they are still around. One guy thought the Switch version was cancelled for crying out loud. We haven't heard anything from them in over a month, besides small bits off of twitter. Furthermore, many Switch players have yet to play the game: they're over two years waiting for this game now, and yet you feel the need to call them "impatient?" That's not very sympathetic at all.

SenSx

Postby SenSx » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:11 pm

Well if it is not ready yet, there are reasons for that, I prefer them to release ports and content when it is finished and polished.

That said, I too come everyday here hoping to get news on the DLC and other promised stuff !!! ( Orchestral musics, N64 Shader).

Piet

Postby Piet » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:11 pm

Official statement/news.
That's it.

FailureFactory

Postby FailureFactory » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:32 pm

This reminds me of a long, boring road trip. Including the kids on the back seat screaming "This is so boring!" every other minute.

ShanPen

Postby ShanPen » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:22 pm

FailureFactory wrote:This reminds me of a long, boring road trip. Including the kids on the back seat screaming "This is so boring!" every other minute.

"Are we nearly there? Are we nearly there? Are we nearly there? Are we nearly there?..."

baker_boy0017

Postby baker_boy0017 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:20 am

I wish mom and dad would say "We're almost there." But they seem to be up in the front seats, unable to hear us :o

I imagine this is killing Playtonic a lot. I think their fans are actually quite important to them. I can just imagine the dread they feel when it looks like something is 99% done, they try to fix that last 1%... and the gates of hell open up.

I think I've finally reached acceptance on the silence... and I feel more like just wanting to cheer them on now! Come on Playtonic, we believe in you! I do believe in Yooka Laylee for Switch, I do, I do!
Last edited by baker_boy0017 on Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Piet

Postby Piet » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:56 am

baker_boy0017 wrote:I wish mom and dad would say "We're almost there." But they seem to be up in the backseat, unable to hear us :o

I imagine this is killing Playtonic a lot. I think their fans are actually quite important to them. I can just imagine the dread they feel when it looks like something is 99% done, they try to fix that last 1%... and the gates of hell open up.

I think I've finally reached acceptance on the silence... and I feel more like just wanting to cheer them on now! Come on Playtonic, we believe in you! I do believe in Yooka Laylee for Switch, I do, I do!

99% done: Release + patch = 100%.
They released the first version of the game at like 75% completion (with the 2nd patch still being unreleased for consoles), so I don't see a problem in that.

Piet

Postby Piet » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:46 am

1/4 done. -_-

Kartos

Postby Kartos » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:09 am

Do you guys think that now that their big patch is online, we'll get more news related to the Switch release?

I vaguely remember reading something about them giving more concrete Switch news after the console patch.

Piet

Postby Piet » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:22 pm

PTG update @ June 7th:
'As our first significant game update nears completion, we will soon( :lol: ) be entering the Nintendo Switch-specific testing phase. And hopefully, if our test team doesn’t break it too badly, we’ll be in a position to deliver you a final release date shortly after.'

--> Update was released June 27th for PC.
--> Update was released August 10th(!!) for consoles (6 weeks later...).

The Switch game testing phase should've started somewhere near June 27th, according to the update.
So that's 1,5 months ago and we STILL have no Switch news, other than: 'As soon as we’re 100% confident with this version and everything is approved, we will make sure you’re first to know the release date!'
(I can't help, but feel like they (PTG) are slacking off...)

Other than that; We still don't have any details regarding the Wii U version cancellation, while Grant Kirkhope said something like this on Twitter (December 2016):
'People are giving PTG poo-poo for cancelling the Wii U version! If they only knew exactly why it was cancelled, then they would feel really stupid for giving PTG a hard time!'
That's easy to say of they're never going to unveil the reason(s).

Also; This forum is dead, other YL forums are dead & people keep asking for Switch game information (rightly so).
All this has turned into a true shitstorm.

Oh and btw: I couldn't wait any longer for YL on the Switch, so I bought an X1 with YL.
I REALLY enjoyed it and got all BK/BT nostalgic! <3
The game is really good, so it's a shame that PTG is handling things not the right way... :?

baker_boy0017

Postby baker_boy0017 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:08 pm

I was luckily able to play the game on Steam for no extra cost, so I was certainly tied over without the Switch release. For everyone else... man, I can only imagine how awful this wait has been.

As for the update... SERIOUSLY? They don't say anything more than "We know there is huge demand for news." I guess what scares me most is what they said after that; they made it sound like the Switch version isn't even a surefire thing. And yet again, they fail to deliver on basically any of the topics I mentioned at the start of the thread. Would I be stupid to expect another website-update sometime soon for them to give us more info? I mean, I feel like this update was basically a rush to say "WE DID IT, THE CONSOLE PATCH IS OUT!" Maybe I'm just in denial again... sigh...

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”