Playtonic: What we Want to Hear About

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
baker_boy0017

Playtonic: What we Want to Hear About

Postby baker_boy0017 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:00 pm

Hello! I was inspired to make this post from Piet in the "Split n' Polish" thread. It has been a long while since we last heard from Playtonic, and the wait is starting to hurt. I'm sure I'm not alone in being terrified that when we do finally get an update, it will be highly lackluster. So, I figured it would be nice to consolidate everything we - the community - are hoping to hear from Platyonic on the next update. This post can be edited after each new update to reflect what we are hoping for each time, just so Playtonic has a nice and singular place to look for these things.

July 25th, 2017:

1. Update about the Switch release, including release date, special features, and the possibility of Amiibo support.

2. Update on the latest patch hitting the current console versions of the game. Definitive date for when this will be coming.

3. Update on additional game goodies promised from the start, such as 64-bit shader and the "exposition loading" in world 5. (They know what I'm talking about...)

4. Update on upcoming DLC, including release date and included features.

To be clear, we aren't demanding these things; this is just the running list of things we really want to see or hear about. Even just sneak peaks on some things that may be a ways off would be great. These news items would go a long way in boosting community morale, which could certainly use it right now.

Rueckkoppler

Re: Playtonic: What we Want to Hear About

Postby Rueckkoppler » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:55 pm

Nice compilation, I sign all of that :)

acemelhaz

Postby acemelhaz » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:23 pm

the problem is with new games being released and mario in october this will end up being a forgotten game unless the release is soon i fear and like everyone if waited patiently stopped myself getting it on ps4

baker_boy0017

Postby baker_boy0017 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:23 am

If Playtonic can't get this out on Switch by September, I do believe it will be very much forgotten in favor of games like Mario. It basically is forgotten right now! One of the only things that could save it is the Switch version reviews coming in as far superior to the original release's. Even then, how many people will care?

The DLC could also mean new life for the game, but it is pretty hard to envision a future where the community is alive given how much it has deteriorated in the last few months and how little Playtonic posts anything.

acemelhaz

Postby acemelhaz » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:53 pm

not only YL but news of there next game its like Playtonic doesn't exist grrrrr

baker_boy0017

Postby baker_boy0017 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:45 pm

So there is still no update... I'm officially worried/upset. I guess they could still update on Monday, but I don't consider that likely at this point. It's been over a month since we have had any news. What is happening?

Piet

Postby Piet » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:56 am

The lack of news from PTG's side is friggin' frustrating!

(Good thing you made a seperate topic about this btw!)

acemelhaz

Postby acemelhaz » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:08 pm

the wait and lack of updates has killed the buzz and excitement for me unfortunately Mario is now where I'm excited :( if only it came out when the game 1st released

Piet

Postby Piet » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:13 am

acemelhaz wrote:the wait and lack of updates has killed the buzz and excitement for me unfortunately Mario is now where I'm excited :( if only it came out when the game 1st released

This.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:26 pm

The wait is really, really ugly for Nintendo fans now. I was initially excited about the Day One release promise, but didn't work out obviously. I intended to not spoil myself too much about the game, but just by watching reviews, I know the theme of every world so far. Not that there's no true reasons for why things are as they are, but my excitement is down to zero right now and I'm starting to hate the wait.

What I wish for Playtonic? They should learn a lot from developing their first game. Re-think why we really loved the Banjo games, because

seeing the same NPCs in EVERY world and having no housings for the recurrent ones does NOT build believable worlds
!

But maybe that was a budget or time thing. Whatever. They should also consider moving to another engine, maybe Unreal, since the Switch is capable of that now? I just wish that they'll bring that one game (I already wish for a Yooka-Laylee sequel without having played the first game) that really showes them all. They as a studio didn't earn much credibility in my eyes (just yet) and this awareness hurts me as a fan at the same time.

I think fans and Playtonic have the same vision on where they should've headed with the game, but the way to this point wasn't the best one.

SenSx

Postby SenSx » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:02 pm

Hi,

A bit more info would be nice.

I alwready own the game on PC, but I am waiting for more content to play it.

1) Are the Orchestral music and N64 shader still planned ?

2) What is the nature of the DLC ? New solo content (worlds ...) ? Multiplayer content (meh) ? Skins ?
Or are the DLC cancelled ?

I have the patience to wait, but I wish to know if I am waiting for nothing.

Thx

baker_boy0017

Postby baker_boy0017 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:07 pm

This lack of communication is starting to frighten me. At least they've had some apparent communication on Twitter. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised to find out the DLC isn't coming. I seriously wonder how profitable this game has been for them. I know on Steam it has good reviews, so maybe they actually did ok. But I do fear for the future. Will a sequel ever see the light of day? There is such a lack of communication that I'm beginning to worry the "Yooka Laylee ship" is just slowly sinking to the bottom of the ocean floor now.

At the same time, maybe they really don't want to do a big update on the website until they can include in it "THE CONSOLE PATCH IS OUT!" I just hope they have a lot of other things to say when they do give us an update...

SenSx

Postby SenSx » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:40 pm

DLC !!!
Hope for new worlds integrated into the hub of the game.

Thx !!

baker_boy0017

Postby baker_boy0017 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:50 am

That's great news. So DLC hasn't been forgotten! My fears are greatly lessened now. I imagine they really are just waiting to post an update with the news that the console patches have hit.

Piet

Postby Piet » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:20 am

It's nice that they post individually on Twitter and all, but Nitendo fans (and fans who play on other platforms (regarding the big update)) are being left in the dark for MONTHS(!!) now.

They really need some communication lessons over at PTG, 'cause this IS ridiculous (fact).
This isn't defenable anymore...

Don't get me wrong. I already completed the game on X1 and loved it, but that was just because I just couldn't wait anymore after all the bad news.

- Sincerely, a let down Nintendo fan.

SenSx

Postby SenSx » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:35 am

I wonder if N64 shader and orchestral musics are still planned...it is a bit late for ochestral score no ?

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:52 am

SenSx wrote:I wonder if N64 shader and orchestral musics are still planned...it is a bit late for ochestral score no ?

This was reconfirmed on Twitter. I don't have the exact source right now (Andy probably commented on this), but they still plan to release both things as part of a free update.

SenSx

Postby SenSx » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:05 am

OK thx :)

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:23 am

SenSx wrote:OK thx :)

There it is. They included this question in their release FAQ in update 51 from April 5th:

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”