Playtonic: What we Want to Hear About

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Kartos

Re: Playtonic: What we Want to Hear About

Postby Kartos » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:18 pm

baker_boy0017 wrote:I was luckily able to play the game on Steam for no extra cost, so I was certainly tied over without the Switch release. For everyone else... man, I can only imagine how awful this wait has been.

As for the update... SERIOUSLY? They don't say anything more than "We know there is huge demand for news." I guess what scares me most is what they said after that; they made it sound like the Switch version isn't even a surefire thing. And yet again, they fail to deliver on basically any of the topics I mentioned at the start of the thread. Would I be stupid to expect another website-update sometime soon for them to give us more info? I mean, I feel like this update was basically a rush to say "WE DID IT, THE CONSOLE PATCH IS OUT!" Maybe I'm just in denial again... sigh...

It sure looks a bit like it. But from what I hear from mates who work in the industry. Most companies won't post anything unless they're certain they can deliver. Then again I'm a patient guy. Haven't even looked at any footage, except for the trailer. :?:

Piet

Postby Piet » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:02 pm

baker_boy0017 wrote:I was luckily able to play the game on Steam for no extra cost, so I was certainly tied over without the Switch release. For everyone else... man, I can only imagine how awful this wait has been.

As for the update... SERIOUSLY? They don't say anything more than "We know there is huge demand for news." I guess what scares me most is what they said after that; they made it sound like the Switch version isn't even a surefire thing. And yet again, they fail to deliver on basically any of the topics I mentioned at the start of the thread. Would I be stupid to expect another website-update sometime soon for them to give us more info? I mean, I feel like this update was basically a rush to say "WE DID IT, THE CONSOLE PATCH IS OUT!" Maybe I'm just in denial again... sigh...

That last part worries me too!
inb4: 'Switch version is canned, sorry not sorry!'

ShanPen

Postby ShanPen » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:54 pm

Piet wrote:(I can't help, but feel like they (PTG) are slacking off...)

Wow, that is so rude! :shock:
It's unbelievable that you can consider it "slacking off" when they've been working on the console patch - which in their latest update they said they improved on from the PC patch after feedback from PC players - so not only were they adding more to this patch, they also had to test it for two different consoles, PLUS be working on the Switch version, and any other duties they need to do to run a business.

Piet wrote:The Switch game testing phase should've started somewhere near June 27th, according to the update.

They said Switch testing would start after the PC and console patches were released. So since those patches took longer, it would make sense that Switch testing has been delayed too. Can people therefore see why they're reluctant to say a release date when things end up taking longer than planned? If they had have said a date, it would have now been delayed and some people would have carried on even more about "more delays! :x ". Now that the console patches are mostly done (they might have to tweak them according to feedback they get), they'll have more time to put towards working exclusively on the Switch version.

And what's with all the paranoia in here about the last part of the update?
"As soon as we’re 100% confident with this version and everything is approved, we will make sure you’re first to know the release date!"
To me that doesn't sound like they're planning on cancelling the Switch version, it sounds like them saying when they're happy with everything (ie testing phase is done, marketing is planned, if they know whether they'll be able to release physical copies or not), that they'll let us know.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:10 am

True, the Switch version is still very feasible from a financial standpoint, fully without any Kickstarter obligations. They won't cancel this one.

baker_boy0017

Postby baker_boy0017 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:16 am

ShanPen wrote:To me that doesn't sound like they're planning on cancelling the Switch version, it sounds like them saying when they're happy with everything (ie testing phase is done, marketing is planned, if they know whether they'll be able to release physical copies or not), that they'll let us know.

I'm glad that's how you took it. Makes me feel a bit better knowing that it may well have been mere fears getting in the way of what they were actually trying to communicate. Reading it again with your take on it, I think you're right. It does sound much more like they are saying "Will update you when we have solid things to say."

Like I've said before, I feel for Playtonic. I think developing on this many platforms has been a huge challenge for them. I think Andy said that they have still been working on the additional bits like DLC and 64-bit shader, suggesting that not the entire team has been working just on the console update parts, so there is that good news. And the more I think about it, the more I imagine we actually will get another update soon to hear about some of those things (depending on how far away they are, I guess).

I've also heard mixed things about developing for Switch, ranging from "It's super easy," to "Nintendo doesn't care at all and makes this terrible." I'm curious how much Nintendo is helping the guys out. I imagine Switch development will at least go by much quicker now that they don't have to worry half as much about two other consoles. I think some people - myself included - don't keep in mind how much of a pain juggling both PS4 and XBox must be.

ShanPen

Postby ShanPen » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:39 am

baker_boy0017 wrote:Makes me feel a bit better knowing that it may well have been mere fears getting in the way of what they were actually trying to communicate.

Yeah I guess I can understand that if there's been a bad experience in the past (ie. Wii U cancellation), that those emotions and fears can colour how new information is interpreted. And I get that everyone is just eager for the game. I'm a pretty patient person so the wait might not bother me as much as others (especially as I'd rather the Switch version be nice and polished, even if I have to wait longer), but even I get a bit edgy when there's been zero communication for ages, that's when I go trawling through their Twitter account for any tiny scraps of information. And I also can't help having the occasional dumb thought like "What if I was in a fatal car accident and never got to play the game?" (which is just so stupid because there are things in life way more important than video games that I'd care way more about missing out on), but that's what happens when people get very emotional and/or fearful, we don't think from a rational perspective. I suppose the high emotions just go to show how excited backers really are for this game, even if that excitement manifests itself as being impatient. But the Playtonic team are all human beings too, and surely them having rude and impatient comments and constant whining wouldn't exactly be the uplifting encouragement needed to keep them passionate about creating a great game for us, especially when they had to take a risk and do the hard work of starting a new company to do so.

baker_boy0017

Postby baker_boy0017 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:08 am

I totally agree, but unfortunately fandom tends to lose patience and understanding fast. It just kind of goes with the business. I think Playtonic understands this for the most part, like most developers would. But it is nice to have reminders like "They quit their jobs for this." It is a bit humbling to remember that these guys - the heroes of my childhood! - were willing to lose so much to deliver a game like this.

I am sticking with the "We're going to get another update soon" idea, simply because I really do believe that they've spent the last month and a half almost exclusively dealing with these console patches. I think they have had no real time to work on Switch, and now they can. So here's hoping!

Piet

Postby Piet » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:12 am

ShanPen wrote:Wow, that is so rude! :shock:
It's unbelievable that you can consider it "slacking off" when they've been working on the console patch - which in their latest update they said they improved on from the PC patch after feedback from PC players - so not only were they adding more to this patch, they also had to test it for two different consoles, PLUS be working on the Switch version, and any other duties they need to do to run a business.

Uhmm, didn't you read the 'I can't help, but feel...' part?
I don't WANT to feel that way, but I DO...

ShanPen wrote:The Switch game testing phase should've started somewhere near June 27th, according to the update.They said Switch testing would start after the PC and console patches were released. So since those patches took longer, it would make sense that Switch testing has been delayed too. Can people therefore see why they're reluctant to say a release date when things end up taking longer than planned? If they had have said a date, it would have now been delayed and some people would have carried on even more about "more delays! :x ". Now that the console patches are mostly done (they might have to tweak them according to feedback they get), they'll have more time to put towards working exclusively on the Switch version.

'As our first significant game update nears completion, we will soon be entering the Nintendo Switch-specific testing phase. And hopefully, if our test team doesn’t break it too badly, we’ll be in a position to deliver you a final release date shortly after.'
They announced THIS (^) just before the PC patch got released, so they're clearly talking about starting after the PC patch release.

ShanPen wrote:And what's with all the paranoia in here about the last part of the update?
"As soon as we’re 100% confident with this version and everything is approved, we will make sure you’re first to know the release date!"
To me that doesn't sound like they're planning on cancelling the Switch version, it sounds like them saying when they're happy with everything (ie testing phase is done, marketing is planned, if they know whether they'll be able to release physical copies or not), that they'll let us know.

To me it sounds like we are 4 months after the initial game release and we still have 0% information on anything about the Switch version...
C'mon you just can't keep 'white knighting' them...
Don't get me wrong.. I love the game, but their (PTG's) approach is just bad...

baker_boy0017 wrote:I am sticking with the "We're going to get another update soon" idea

That was what I was thinking for several months, but we got... Nothing. So I gave up on that thought.
And yes, I lose my patience after 4 months of nothing, which isn't strange at all. ;)

ShanPen

Postby ShanPen » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:03 am

Piet wrote:'As our first significant game update nears completion, we will soon be entering the Nintendo Switch-specific testing phase. And hopefully, if our test team doesn’t break it too badly, we’ll be in a position to deliver you a final release date shortly after.'
They announced THIS (^) just before the PC patch got released, so they're clearly talking about starting after the PC patch release.

I don't think that's so clear to say for sure, as I interpreted "our first significant game update" to mean the patch on all platforms already out, ie fixing the game for all people currently able to play it, and that they'd then work on Switch testing once the patch was out for the current versions of the game. Two different people reading the same thing coming to two different conclusions probably does mean that they could have made it a bit clearer.

Piet wrote:
ShanPen wrote:And what's with all the paranoia in here about the last part of the update?

To me it sounds like we are 4 months after the initial game release and we still have 0% information on anything about the Switch version...
C'mon you just can't keep 'white knighting' them...
Don't get me wrong.. I love the game, but their (PTG's) approach is just bad...

It does sound like that, because that is exactly what they said - essentially "no new information yet but we will tell you more information when we have it for certain". But people started freaking out and making assumptions about cancellations just because no new information was given. It is not "white knighting" to interpret what was written and say it doesn't sound worrying (and asking people to think of the Playtonic team's feelings before they type - that's just empathy); "white knighting" would be if I was saying "Playtonic are perfect and can do no wrong!" which I have never done (I've even said several times in my last few posts about how it can be annoying when they go silent for ages and that you have to trawl through their Twitter page just to know they're still alive, so hopefully they have learned about how to handle things better next time and that they bring on someone specifically to deal with PR). But we know they plan to release on the Switch, we know they are working on the Switch version, and we know they are almost up to (if not, already) testing the Switch version, so that doesn't sound like something to worry about, because (although admittedly I'm not a game developer) I assume if they had terrible issues like they did with the Wii U, I doubt they'd have made it all the way to testing phase.

Piet

Postby Piet » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:54 am

Let's hope we hear something this week..

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”