Funding the Next Game

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Rueckkoppler

Re: Funding the Next Game

Postby Rueckkoppler » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:52 pm

Alph wrote:
shootbang wrote:
Rueckkoppler wrote:And then release the game day one on all platforms, now that they're getting the hang of the most recent newcomer, the Nintendo Switch.

The Switch will never get the game on day one because it takes so much extra effort to downgrade a game enough to run on it. Playtonic is a small independent studio and it would probably take all their resources for months to do the job. In order to ship a product they will be forced to do what they did this time and focus on other consoles first.

They should just use Switch as the base system they develop for. They're probably going to have a bigger market on the Switch anyway, despite the whole debacle with the Switch port of Yooka-Laylee.

Exactly. It's been proven that these kind of games don't sell as well on PlayStation / XBOX consoles. People expect these colourful games to come to a Nintendo platform and actively buy these systems for them. All the other ones don't care as much and those who do can be divided in other categories than the target audience, like former Nintendo-owner (nostalgic fan) or a parent who happens to own such a console and wants their kids to have something to play as well... but they usually buy Nintendo anyway if that's the case.

metalreflectslime

Postby metalreflectslime » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:16 am

I have a feeling the sequel will perform poorly in sales due to the NS delay of the prequel.

There may not even be a YL Physical NS.

baker_boy0017

Postby baker_boy0017 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:09 pm

If we're going down that road, I imagine a sequel would do poorly on the other consoles because of how terribly received the game was on them. Plus, kids - a definite target audience - aren't privy to this development fiasco stuff. They'll go to the store, or go on the e-shop, or hear from some other friend about Yooka Laylee on the Switch and buy it. Kids don't go "Ugh, this game should have come out six months ago, I'm not buying it now."

At the same time, this is why I say Playtonic should REALLY go for some extra goodies in the Switch version, even if they are just exclusive to Switch for a little while only. Any extra incentive for people to buy on the Switch is huge.

I personally think a sequel could still happen, and I sincerely hope Playtonic decides to use Switch as a base platform. Switch sales will reveal whether this does happen or not I suppose. I just know my nephews - as soon as they get a Switch - will be dying to get Yooka Laylee for it.

Alph

Postby Alph » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:19 am

shootbang wrote:
Alph wrote:They should just use Switch as the base system they develop for. They're probably going to have a bigger market on the Switch anyway, despite the whole debacle with the Switch port of Yooka-Laylee.

Unless Nintendo pays them to do it the Switch will never be the base system for any third party. Imagine how ridiculous the graphics would look when ported to the consoles with bigger install bases.

Ridiculous? You mean like how Super Mario Odyssey looks ridiculous? Because I'd love it if every Playtonic game from now on looks as good as Super Mario Odyssey.

Jinjo

Postby Jinjo » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:32 am

I would not donate money again. The company is clearly missing that Stamper magic that Rare had. Most of the employees there aren't even ex-rare people now anyway, due to who they've hired.

Let's be real. The game was atrocious. The level design was probably the worst part of the game. If you don't think a 5 year old could have designed a better swamp level, you're lying, or at least very easily pleased. The music was probably the best part of the game, but even that was nothing special - not that the composers had much inspiration from the game to draw from.

The company is a mess. From the level designers to the director. It's clear that aside from the backers they haven't really attracted many other people to the game. The game has only 1,000 reviews on steam (you'd expect about 500+ to be from backers, given the number of backers) and the recent ones are mixed. I am struggling to see how they will be in operation 5 years from now as there is only so much fanboy money and loyalty out there to rely on.

If you donate money a second time to this company, you really are a fool. Wait and let them make a good game before giving them your money. They have already shown that they can't be relied upon.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”