Funding the Next Game

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
baker_boy0017

Funding the Next Game

Postby baker_boy0017 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:23 pm

So I've been wondering this for a while, and with the lack of news lately I figured it might be a good way to distract us for a bit. How will Playtonic fund their next game?

I ask because I know lots of people (whether they are majority or simply very loud minority, I like to believe the latter) didn't like the game, reviews for the game were pretty bad, and Playtonic has become very silent just to release what at first seemed like some small albeit meaningful patches for the game. So, was YL successful enough for them to start on a new game? Or would they have to go back to Kickstarter to get funds again? Who here would donate money again?

I personally would be happy to donate to Playtonic again, but given that I'm still on this forum that shouldn't come as a surprise. I thoroughly enjoyed Yooka-Laylee, even if it wasn't 100% perfect. It got closer to BK than any other game I've played in the last decade and a half, so I see YL as a success. I also feel confident that Playtonic would make the next game better with all of the critiques they receive for this game. What say all of you?

Scrubber

Re: Funding the Next Game

Postby Scrubber » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:40 pm

I'm hoping they did well enough to be able to fund their own game this time but of course I'll be happy to pledge again.

I think the majority of people's dislikes have been fixed by the recent update.

Piet

Postby Piet » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:25 pm

I like/love the game, but I think I wouldn't back another Kickstarter campaign by PTG (or any other company, for that matter), just to avoid frustration. :roll:

(Oh and the update did solve a lot of issues, but still no 'file copy' function and the loading screen still get's stuck..)

And again: YES! I do love YL.
Last edited by Piet on Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tek

Postby Tek » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:18 pm

I would donate again. That being said, I hope they have made enough profit from Yooka Laylee that they don't need to kickstart their next game.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:34 pm

I'm undecided. Mostly I wish them to be able to fund the next game themselves, just to get rid of any obligations towards potential backers. They should keep quiet if they want to and take all the time they need to polish it up. And then release the game day one on all platforms, now that they're getting the hang of the most recent newcomer, the Nintendo Switch.

That way, we might mourn that we don't get any info - but when we do, the thing is mostly done and nobody has to feel suspicious about being screwed over by some game developer, even if they didn't mean any harm in the first place.

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:26 pm

How many companies have gone back to KS for their next game? I'm actually curious.

bigfanofoldrare

Postby bigfanofoldrare » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:16 pm

i wanted to give money for the first kickstarter but i get some problem..

but for sure , i would give money to get a second yooka-layle...

BUT if its not a game platform game, i don't think i would give money.

if its diddy kong racing 2 , i would think a lot.. i am 70-30 to give money.

ShanPen

Postby ShanPen » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:54 am

Rueckkoppler wrote:Mostly I wish them to be able to fund the next game themselves, just to get rid of any obligations towards potential backers. They should keep quiet if they want to and take all the time they need to polish it up.

I agree, I hope they can fund their next game themselves. They started Playtonic Games because they wanted to be independent, so it would be good to get away from Kickstarter so they don't have thousands of people thinking they should get a say in how things are done just because they donated some money, which would make Playtonic completely independent next time.

But if they did have to use Kickstarter again, I'd probably donate (if it was for a type of game I think I'd like).

baker_boy0017

Postby baker_boy0017 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:08 pm

DarkTone wrote:How many companies have gone back to KS for their next game? I'm actually curious.

This exactly. This is what spurred the question to begin with. Given that I'm no professional game developer, I have no idea what it takes to go from kickstarter to full-fledged company. I'm also curious on the units of Yooka Laylee sold: how many people actually bought the game that weren't involved in the Kickstarter?

Steam has a little over 1000 reviews for Yooka-Laylee, but I have no way of identifying who got the game as a backer, and who paid for it.

Also, the "next game" was mostly in reference to the next Yooka-Laylee game, as I'm unsure how interested I am in any other games they plan to make.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:07 pm

ShanPen wrote:
Rueckkoppler wrote:Mostly I wish them to be able to fund the next game themselves, just to get rid of any obligations towards potential backers. They should keep quiet if they want to and take all the time they need to polish it up.

I agree, I hope they can fund their next game themselves. They started Playtonic Games because they wanted to be independent, so it would be good to get away from Kickstarter so they don't have thousands of people thinking they should get a say in how things are done just because they donated some money, which would make Playtonic completely independent next time.

But if they did have to use Kickstarter again, I'd probably donate (if it was for a type of game I think I'd like).

Yes, I might donate as well, but I really don't like the situation. Although I believe that the next game will work out much more smoothly, considering them being experienced with the Switch by then.

Judging from this Kickstarter, it's almost the same situation that companies are in when they're having investors: People want to have a say in everything, don't fully understand the situation and complain about it despite getting obvious explanations. And they're right to do that, since they put their money in this. But it's not a nice situation.

Still I'd like if they at least consider thinking about feedback from fans (well they do apparently, so that's good) and make several things better next time. Things I want Playtonic to think about is character design and making their worlds believable. Like, putting unique NPCs in them and fleshing it all out a bit more. This has nothing to do with retired game design, but with effort to make their games even more "immersive". It's weird to use this word in context with silly worlds and characters, but it's makes them ultimately more charming and fun.

BanjoThreeie

Postby BanjoThreeie » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:55 am

DarkTone wrote:How many companies have gone back to KS for their next game? I'm actually curious.

Double Fine has crowdfunded a few of their latest games.

rocho

Postby rocho » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:27 am

I would definitely help fund a Diddy Kong Racing Successor for sure!

FailureFactory

Postby FailureFactory » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:46 am

I would not help fund a successor. The update improved some things, but I am not currently convinced PTG has what it takes to pull off an actual Banjo 3. They might get the storytelling right next time, I hope, but I fear that PTG lacks the resources to make a game as colorful and rich in variety as Banjo. All those environmental assets, enemy types and soundtrack variantions I demand from a Banjo successor don't create themselves.

If the game gets good reviews, I'll buy it in a store. Sorry, PTG, I gave you a headstart last time; now you'll need to deliver first.

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:00 pm

BanjoThreeie wrote:

Double Fine has crowdfunded a few of their latest games.

Interesting. Did they ever say why? Did the games not sell well?

NPChilla

Postby NPChilla » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:44 am

Playtonic should do what Messrs Stamper did in the late 80s:

Make some extremely impressive demoes and examples of what they can do, show them off to Nintendo and thus convince the Big N to invest.

Y-ME369

Postby Y-ME369 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:35 am

I'd probably donate more to their next project. ;)

shootbang

Postby shootbang » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:04 am

Rueckkoppler wrote:And then release the game day one on all platforms, now that they're getting the hang of the most recent newcomer, the Nintendo Switch.

The Switch will never get the game on day one because it takes so much extra effort to downgrade a game enough to run on it. Playtonic is a small independent studio and it would probably take all their resources for months to do the job. In order to ship a product they will be forced to do what they did this time and focus on other consoles first.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:27 am

shootbang wrote:
Rueckkoppler wrote:And then release the game day one on all platforms, now that they're getting the hang of the most recent newcomer, the Nintendo Switch.

The Switch will never get the game on day one because it takes so much extra effort to downgrade a game enough to run on it. Playtonic is a small independent studio and it would probably take all their resources for months to do the job. In order to ship a product they will be forced to do what they did this time and focus on other consoles first.

The main problem was the Switch devkit coming way too late to be on time with its development. About downgrading their games for Switch, I'd like to change your quote:

Playtonic is a small independent studio and it would probably take all their resources to make a game as graphically demanding that they'd need to downgrade it for Nintendo Switch. I think all their games will be stylized/cartoony in a way, even if they become more mature. And for helping out with porting, they still got Team17 for that.

Alph

Postby Alph » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:33 am

shootbang wrote:

They should just use Switch as the base system they develop for. They're probably going to have a bigger market on the Switch anyway, despite the whole debacle with the Switch port of Yooka-Laylee.

shootbang

Postby shootbang » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:09 am

Alph wrote:They should just use Switch as the base system they develop for. They're probably going to have a bigger market on the Switch anyway, despite the whole debacle with the Switch port of Yooka-Laylee.

Unless Nintendo pays them to do it the Switch will never be the base system for any third party. Imagine how ridiculous the graphics would look when ported to the consoles with bigger install bases.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”