Funding the Next Game

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
wacky ducky

Re: Funding the Next Game

Postby wacky ducky » Fri May 25, 2018 4:17 pm

According to VGchartz it sold 300k on Xbone and PS4 combined. I think if you add digital copies and Steam/Switch versions that's enough. Wonderful 101 (truly spectacular game) sold fewer copies and even that company keeps its head above water.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Mon May 28, 2018 4:30 pm

wacky ducky wrote:According to VGchartz it sold 300k on Xbone and PS4 combined. I think if you add digital copies and Steam/Switch versions that's enough. Wonderful 101 (truly spectacular game) sold fewer copies and even that company keeps its head above water.

Okay that doesn't sound too bad. But tbh, Platinum Games could afford one financial flop like Wonderful 101 since they got way more other games out there.

wacky ducky

Postby wacky ducky » Mon May 28, 2018 5:21 pm

Platinum Games had multiple games in the realm of Yooka Laylee while having no major hit. Wonderful 101 took 1.5 times the resources of the first Bayonetta which was a big project already. The main difference is that they didn't fund their own games.

Turns out Playtonic multiplied in size and is working on multiple games.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Mon May 28, 2018 6:03 pm

Didn't know that it was bigger than Bayonetta, thanks for the info! Then they might be more comparable than I thought. Or at least, that Playtonic will have similar capacities at one point. I'm really wondering what's going on at their HQ...

wacky ducky

Postby wacky ducky » Mon May 28, 2018 8:12 pm

It's weird how few indie/kickstarter devs actually continue making games or try to grow.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”