Gloomy Gem Grotto

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Yuke Quantum

Gloomy Gem Grotto

Postby Yuke Quantum » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:25 pm

Wtf happened?! I liked the challenge of it. Now you can walk most this level without even needing the glow effect. It's ridiculously easy now.

The spit and polish update fixed some things, bit they really didn't need to downgrade the challenge. This game was so easy upon release. It needed MORE challenge, not less.

Did that many people complain about Gloomy to warrant it to be changed this much?

Also does anyone know what's goig on with the toybox secret? The "loading 50.1%" (now 75%)
-Yuke Quantum
the thirst exploder

baker_boy0017

Re: Gloomy Gem Grotto

Postby baker_boy0017 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:43 am

Did many people complain? Only two that I know of, and it just so happens they have a Youtube channel, so you better believe Playtonic changed that challenge. Other reviews may have referenced it, but I didn't listen to any of them: I knew I could trust Gamexplain, so they're the only ones I watched with the firestorm of reviews back then.

Look, I sincerely believe the Grotto needed change. But fair changes: ones that made the lighting effect actually useful (before, you literally couldn't tell when you were right in front of an abyss), and maybe took away a few of the unfair elements like the large corplet boss or the bees. Personally, I would have been fine with just making the darn glow element better.

What they've done to the place now? I agree, it is a travesty. It went from a challenge to a walk-through. There are more challenging obstacles in line at Disneyland! (OK, that is hyperbole...)

Even Gamexplain didn't want them to change THAT much. In their video, they say "change this, or this, or this." The key word here is 'or.' I think it was a knee-jerk reaction by Platonic. Just be grateful (or spiteful, whichever) that Rusty Bucket Bay is safe from changes like this.

P.S. Black-Hole-In-One was given some pretty dumb changes as well. What exactly is supposed to be the challenge behind that one now? Walking? At least the Grotto is still dark...

Yuke Quantum

Postby Yuke Quantum » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:15 am

I was able to walk (where you used to have to roll) across that first little segment without the glow power. It was brightened on top of the slippery surfaces being omitted. There is literally only one spot that is slippery now. The corplet is pretty easy to cull too. I think it's three of the sound wave bursts (L2 + triangle on ps4) to kill him and you can hit him without even stepping on the platform, so he can't even attack.

I understand it was dark in the original rendition of this level, and maybe they should have JUST made the ability brighter or lightened it like they did, but they really didn't need to make it this easy.

Thank god Rusty Bucket can't be changed! Hahaha

By the way, do you happen to know anything about the toubox secret that now says 75% (used to say 50.1%)?
-Yuke Quantum
the thirst exploder

baker_boy0017

Postby baker_boy0017 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:29 pm

All I know is that "users must demonstrate patience." -_-

I can imagine the next update, we all jump in super excited to find out what it is... only to have him say "Exposition Loaded 99%. Users must demonstrate patience" hahahaha. As much as I want to give Playtonic the benefit of the doubt, it is getting hard not to see them as trolling us hahaha.

As for Gloomy Gem's brightness, I HATE what they've done with it. You can complete it without the Slurp State ability at all now, which was supposed to be the whole point. Yet again, this is something Gamexplain complained about, saying they couldn't figure out they needed that ability, so it looks like Playtonic changed it... sigh.

As for the Corplet, you are assuming people have gone to world 3. I like to try completing the un-expanded worlds at the VERY LEAST as much as I can before moving on or expanding, so that made the corplet baddie worse for me.

I also just really hate those guys... invincibility on ordinary enemies never sits well with me. Come up with a better way to make them challenging Playtonic. But see, these are more design issues than anything else, and I don't necessarily care to see Playtonic change the game for it. Maybe do better next time, but I can accept those baddies in this one. But changing the grotto... arg!

Hopix

Postby Hopix » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:12 pm

If they downgraded the difficulty because of whiners, that is depressing indeed.

bigfanofoldrare

Postby bigfanofoldrare » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:53 pm

new player suck now..

if game are a bit hard , they leave..

man its piss me off.

i am doing mario maker level and everyone leave because i don't make it easy.. ( and i don't make it that hard either).

its sad :(

Hopix

Postby Hopix » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:27 pm

bigfanofoldrare wrote:new player suck now..

if game are a bit hard , they leave..

man its piss me off.

i am doing mario maker level and everyone leave because i don't make it easy.. ( and i don't make it that hard either).

its sad :(

Agreed. It's a symptom of the "I want everything now" generation.

LDK777

Postby LDK777 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:54 pm

I also want to voice my extreme displeasure with this change.

YL was a very, very easy game even before this change.

Why take one of the very few semi-challenging areas in the game and effectively delete it?

They could have just nerfed it a tiny bit (which I still would have been against) but they trivialized it to the point of it being a joke.

Very disappointed and this makes me very worried about future design decisions Playtonic will make.

Old school games were CHALLENGING, old school players WANT CHALLENGE.

Give us MORE challenge, not less.

baker_boy0017

Postby baker_boy0017 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:03 pm

To be clear, I don't like challenge for the sake of challenge. I like FAIR challenge, where screwing up feels more like my fault, versus the circumstances I was merely put into. For example, there is a pagie at the end of the game that you must do a horrible death slide for with electric fences. It is ABSOLUTELY unfair with almost no leeway of any sort. I do NOT enjoy doing this for a half an hour, over and over again, knowing as soon as I make a single mistake (or rather as soon as I'm screwed by the game in this particular challenge) I have to start over. While this could have been made easier with a "Restart" option, the challenge itself was just UNFAIR.

However, most other challenges in the game didn't feature this kind of ridiculous difficulty. Yet, Playtonic saw fit to dumb them down, easy them up. I like fair challenge, and Gloomy Gem felt that way was much more like that. I'd take Gloomy Gem Grotto's challenge over the terrible slide any day, yet they saw fit to change the former. Why???

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”