These boards have been pretty quiet while people are waiting for the Switch version of the game to arrive, and some of the other threads have been filled with negativity that some people have expressed annoyance over.
So for anyone who is still around and wants to pass the time having POSITIVE, FRIENDLY, CONSTRUCTIVE conversations
about Yooka-Laylee and/or Playtonic, I thought I'd make this Switch Waiting Room area. The idea is that it would be kind of like the General Yooka-Laylee Discussion thread, but as a lot of people waiting for the Switch version might not have played Yooka-Laylee at all yet, please don't post game spoilers if you have played a different version of the game already.
I have thought up some ideas for possible discussion topics, but they are just some suggestions to start off any conversation, feel free to add your own so long as they are positive, fun, friendly, or constructive
(ie. this is not the thread for whining and throwing tantrums over there being no Switch release date yet or for being spiteful towards the Playtonic team - if that's what you're after I suggest this tread instead):
Some possible things to discuss, grouped under headings:Switch Testing and Switch Preview
- Playtonic said in their last update that version 5.6 of Unity was causing more issues with the Switch version. Is anyone who knows about game development and/or Unity able to share their expertise about what sort of problems in a game could be caused by Unity’s update, for those of us who don’t know about game development?
- Did anyone notice any visible issues in the Switch version preview that was shown in the last update?
- How are they able to show a preview that seems to work fine (to those of us who don’t know about game development) if they are having issues with the Unity update? Is the preview likely to be from an older version of Unity, or is it possible for them to show a section of the game that doesn’t have any issues?
- In the last update, Playtonic said they are working with the people from Unity to try and solve the issues – has anyone here dealt with the Unity troubleshooting team and do you think they are likely to give priority help to the development of a game such as Yooka-Laylee? New Staff
- Playtonic have recently hired two new staff, an Engineer called Josué, and Environmental Artist Anthea. Has anyone heard of either of them or know of their work?
- Do you think the new Engineer was hired to help with the Switch testing/troubleshooting?
- Does anyone else think it is an odd time for them to be recruiting a new Environmental Artist when the game is mostly finished? What do you think Anthea will be working on?
- If you were the person in charge of hiring staff for Playtonic, who would you want to hire and why? How would they be a good fit with the current Playtonic team?Marketing
- How do you think Playtonic should be marketing/drumming up anticipation for the Switch version NOW (before release)? What sort of things would you do if you were in their marketing team, or what would you like them to be doing?
- How do you think they should market the Switch game once it’s released?
- How do you think they need to market Yooka-Laylee specifically in regards to competing with Super Mario Odyssey? (Do you even agree that it will be competing, or do you think both games attract different demographics?)
- I know most people here would love a physical Switch copy of the game, but do you think Playtonic need to release physical copies (why/why not)? What do you think are the pros and cons of both digital only versus physical carts in relation to a small company like Playtonic?
- Assuming a Yooka-Laylee sequel is made, how do you think Playtonic will market it if Yooka-Laylee Switch gets a good reception, versus if it doesn’t get a good reception?Yooka-Laylee Boxie
- What, if anything, do you like about the set?
- What, if anything, do you dislike about the set?
- What would you have included in the set if it were up to you to design the contents?
- The Yooka-Laylee Boxie is said to ship in December, do you think this could mean the Switch version will release around then, or do you think it’s just a date based on when the company making them was able to fit in manufacturing?*Waits to see if anyone answers, or if there'll only be crickets chirping...*