Switch Waiting Room - Friendly Conversations While We Wait

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
User avatar
bjaxx87
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:58 am

Re: Switch Waiting Room - Friendly Conversations While We Wait

Postby bjaxx87 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:01 am

baker_boy0017 wrote:how would you guys feel about discovering Rare is making a new Banjo game? Excited? Skeptical? Irritated? How about a full HD remake of Banjo Kazooie?

I'd wait and see. Retro Studios have taught us that it doesn't always take the original developers to create a great new entry to an established series. Sea of Thieves isn't looking too bad so they might still have a lot of skilled and creative employees. If some of those are fans of old Banjo games, great things could happen! I won't get my hopes up before I have seen actual footage but something promising could even make me buy an Xbox One. ;)
ShanPen wrote:I always thought it would be something not crucial to the game, just a little added bonus such as pants for Yooka (because that seems like the sort of thing Playtonic would find funny because of all the people that initially whinged about Yooka having no clothes)

Small spoiler, but did you ever collect all tonics in Yooka-Laylee...? :)

What I'd like to talk about is a complete list of all the things we are still waiting for. Let's have a look at the original list of stretch goals:
Image

Those stretch goals haven't been met so far:

Simultaneous Wii U, Xbox One & PlayStation 4 releases on DAY ONE!
Well, we all know that Wii U was replaced by the Nintendo Switch version and that this pretty much killed the day one promise. I think it was a wise decision, though. Yooka-Laylee is gorgeous when played on highest settings, so it should be played on stronger hardware than Wii U.

N64 shader mode
I wonder what this is gonna look like... Will it just heavily lower details? Or will character models and objects be swapped for blocky N64 style ones? I'm looking forward to this because it might be a good reason for a complete replay if it looks cool.

credits "GK Rap + Video"
The video is available on Youtube, but I'm still waiting for them to add it to the credits or at least into the game.

developer walkthrough and commentary video
So how's this gonna work? In Alan Wake you were able to play the game like usual while some scenes would simultaneously have developer voice overs (if I remember this correctly...). That's what I expected from that stretch goal for some reason - but looking at the wording again I think it's just a simple video (which is fine - since Yooka-Laylee isn't linear a voice over wouldn't work that well).

orchestral score
All I'm saying is that I'm pumped for this! :D I kept listening to the soundtrack long after finishing the game and I still do when I have household chores. A little off topic: I'm gonna see the Zelda Symphony of the Goddesses orchestra tomorrow - I wish something like that would happen for Rareware/Playtonic music! :)

DLC that's free to backers
I'm curious what they have in store for us. New skins would be a little underwhelming so I at least hope for some new tonics that are cool enough to warrant another playthrough or fun (non-frustrating) mini games. A whole new world would be killer, but I doubt it.

User avatar
ShanPen
Posts: 208
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:16 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Switch Waiting Room - Friendly Conversations While We Wait

Postby ShanPen » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:47 pm

bjaxx87 wrote:
ShanPen wrote:I always thought it would be something not crucial to the game, just a little added bonus such as pants for Yooka (because that seems like the sort of thing Playtonic would find funny because of all the people that initially whinged about Yooka having no clothes)

Small spoiler, but did you ever collect all tonics in Yooka-Laylee...? :)

No, I haven't played it at all because I'm waiting for the Switch version. But I think it'd be hilarious if Yooka gets pants if you collect all the tonics :lol:.


bjaxx87 wrote:N64 shader mode
I wonder what this is gonna look like... Will it just heavily lower details? Or will character models and objects be swapped for blocky N64 style ones? I'm looking forward to this because it might be a good reason for a complete replay if it looks cool.

I think because they said "shader" that it will only be something to do with the colours and texture, I don't think they will actually make the characters and objects blocky as I think that would take a lot of work. So what I imagined it looking like would be just solid, bright colours, because the N64 games were mostly very bold and bright. Think about Gobi's Valley and/or Treasure Trove Cove in Banjo-Kazooie, how bright all that yellow sand was, it was so glary that it almost felt like you were in the sun with them, and how blue the water was in Treasure Trove Cove (or maybe my old TV just had weird colour settings?). I did a quick play with the colours on Yooka and Laylee to show what I think the N64 shader version might look a bit like (original on left, N64 concept on right):
Image

bjaxx87 wrote:credits "GK Rap + Video"
The video is available on Youtube, but I'm still waiting for them to add it to the credits or at least into the game.

I haven't watched it yet, as I'm really hoping they add it to the intro for the Switch version, like the DK Rap in Donkey Kong 64.

bjaxx87 wrote:developer walkthrough and commentary video
So how's this gonna work? In Alan Wake you were able to play the game like usual while some scenes would simultaneously have developer voice overs (if I remember this correctly...). That's what I expected from that stretch goal for some reason - but looking at the wording again I think it's just a simple video (which is fine - since Yooka-Laylee isn't linear a voice over wouldn't work that well).

Yeah I also think a simple video like the commentary special features you get on movie DVDs, maybe with one of the Playtonic team members playing the game while the rest of them watch and comment.

bjaxx87 wrote:orchestral score
All I'm saying is that I'm pumped for this! :D I kept listening to the soundtrack long after finishing the game and I still do when I have household chores. A little off topic: I'm gonna see the Zelda Symphony of the Goddesses orchestra tomorrow - I wish something like that would happen for Rareware/Playtonic music! :)

The few tracks I've heard on the Yooka-Laylee trailers, Toybox, and the Kickstarter page were really good (especially the Tribalstack Tropics main theme, it was so much like a Banjo game!), so I can't wait to hear the rest when I finally get to play the game. I also sometimes will listen to video game music (Banjo-Kazooie or Donkey Kong Country tracks) around the house too :). And you are so lucky to go to the Zelda Symphony, most Zelda music is so beautiful (have to say I was very disappointed with the music in Breath of the Wild, though) so it would be amazing to hear a proper, live orchestra play it. Actually didn't Playtonic offer a (really expensive) Kickstarter reward where the person got to see an orchestra perform the Yooka-Laylee music? I wonder if that ever happened, as I think from memory only one person backed it.

User avatar
bjaxx87
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:58 am

Re: Switch Waiting Room - Friendly Conversations While We Wait

Postby bjaxx87 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:27 am

ShanPen wrote:No, I haven't played it at all because I'm waiting for the Switch version. But I think it'd be hilarious if Yooka gets pants if you collect all the tonics :lol:.

It's not all "tonics" that you need to collect, but... ah, just wait and see! ;)
ShanPen wrote:Think about Gobi's Valley and/or Treasure Trove Cove in Banjo-Kazooie, how bright all that yellow sand was, it was so glary that it almost felt like you were in the sun with them, and how blue the water was in Treasure Trove Cove (or maybe my old TV just had weird colour settings?).

Nah, it wasn't just your TV, N64 Rare games were bright and colourful! :D I often replay Diddy Kong Racing on my PC (emulation) using my HD TV as a screen. It looks extremely shiny - and I'm loving it! ;)
ShanPen wrote:I did a quick play with the colours on Yooka and Laylee to show what I think the N64 shader version might look a bit like

Yeah, I think something like that is more likely. (Blocky characters would be pretty cool, though. :))

ShanPen wrote:have to say I was very disappointed with the music in Breath of the Wild, though

Ah, I think BOTW's music is very underrated... It's very sparse, that's for sure, but I think it suits the game's very special atmosphere. The tracks that are there are mostly pretty cool.

I really enjoy this BOTW guitar medley:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXBiDqZeSkg

ShanPen wrote:Actually didn't Playtonic offer a (really expensive) Kickstarter reward where the person got to see an orchestra perform the Yooka-Laylee music? I wonder if that ever happened, as I think from memory only one person backed it.

You..., you are right! :o

5.000 £
(Approx $7,850 USD, €7,000 EUR)

VIP GUEST ATTENDANCE AT A LIVE ORCHESTRA CONCERT IN GERMANY!

Premium seating at a live orchestra concert in Germany featuring music by Playtonic composers David Wise and Grant Kirkhope, followed by dinner with the music duo and the Playtonic team! Plus ALL previous physical rewards!

(More info to follow. Travel not included.)


Since the pledge was a VIP guest attendance, does that mean others will be able to attend the concert regularly? It's even in Germany (which is where I live), so I'm a little thrilled now! :D

I mean, it makes sense..., when they will be recording the orchestrated score it would be a waste not to have an audience! :)


Return to “Yooka-Laylee”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Tek and 6 guests