We Seem To Still Be Waiting

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Exaskryz

We Seem To Still Be Waiting

Postby Exaskryz » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:02 am

This is over 1 year after the initial promised release date. With no word except "Yeah, it's coming [probably [not]]".

What gives Playtonic?
Aiaiaiiii, we're 8 months past the deadline for the game, and still no word on it coming out.

Piet

Re: We Seem To Still Be Waiting

Postby Piet » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:40 am

Ssshhhhh! Don't say stuff like that on the PTG forums!
People don't want to be told the truth... :|
Get up your flamewar gear up already!!

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:56 pm

They should give another evidence that they’re still on it. I don’t doubt their explanation with the Unity issues, but it doesn’t help against the bad feelings we have when it’s yet another few months after the latest update. I want this to end, too.

Gorjo

Postby Gorjo » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:20 pm

Games take time to make, and for a while now Nintendo has been tricky for third party developers to work with. The worst thing they can do is rush it.

O O O O H H
B A N A N A

Piet

Postby Piet » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:51 pm

Gorjo wrote:Games take time to make, and for a while now Nintendo has been tricky for third party developers to work with. The worst thing they can do is rush it.

1. Make =/= port.
2. Nintendo is doing fine regarding the Switch & 3rd-party games.
3. Rush? DUDE... PLEASE STOP...

baker_boy0017

Postby baker_boy0017 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:15 pm

I'm getting sucked down into the paranoia vortex myself. It's pretty discouraging we haven't heard anything from them in what I'm pretty sure is over a month. I don't WANT to spread horrible ideas, but this just wreaks of cancellation. OK, fine, maybe I never get the lizard and bat between two joy cons: at least they can give us an update on the DLC.

I was considering making a post about this myself... but I'm so conflicted between the part of me that wants to be optimistic, and the part that is getting seriously paranoid. The silence just seems like such a terrible sign. I've been coming here significantly less because what is there to say beyond "no update still." Can someone with Twitter pester them about their lack of updates? I've heard they respond on Twitter.

Piet

Postby Piet » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:45 pm

Last Switch game "update" was MORE THAN 2 months ago...
And you're right, there's nothing else to say anymore.
+ The only response they give via Twitter is 'Soon'.

ShanPen

Postby ShanPen » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:24 am

Another vote here for a new update. Even if it just says "Sorry we're still working on issues", it would be good to see something.

Tek

Postby Tek » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:23 am

baker_boy0017 wrote:The silence just seems like such a terrible sign. I've been coming here significantly less because what is there to say beyond "no update still." Can someone with Twitter pester them about their lack of updates? I've heard they respond on Twitter.

This is the most recent twitter post I've seen regarding progress, from November 9th. https://twitter.com/AndyPlaytonic/statu ... 8196742146

I hesitate to mention it since it's nothing beyond the usual "Soon" statement, but at least it's someone from the team responding to a question about it within the past 2½ weeks.

Piet

Postby Piet » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:01 am

The worst thing about it, is that he is talking about 'news that is HOPEFULLY coming very soon' and not about 'the game itself that is coming very soon'.
'News' could be literally ANYTHING...

+ The last official update via PTG themselves, was more than 2 months ago...

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:35 pm

What a timing for that thread: The game finally comes to the Switch on December 14th, contains an own achievement systems, the major patch, more optimization with the help of both Nintendo and Unity and will run with 900p in docked mode (and 600p in handheld mode, which wouldn’t matter, since Mario+Rabbids has a similar resolution achieved to look very clean). I guess it’s going to be 30fps for the game, but more stable. Anything else would be a miracle.

Phew, what a relief! Now I hope it’ll be as good as it sounds and that Playtonic can move on to new projects (with better planning/execution due to this experience)!

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:05 pm

That was fairly coincidental. December 14th is a surprise to me, I'd have expected at least a month's heads up.

Now the real question is when can we expect to get the first DLC. We get the initial Switch version, but when do we get the Switch + first free DLC that backers paid for version?

I assume that "major patch" is what was DLC for the other systems. But that's not DLC for Switch. That's like saying Skyrim or Rocket League on Switch comes with Day negative 942 DLC. That patch is the base part of the game in the Switch Port, so we'd still need to see the promised first free DLC.
Aiaiaiiii, we're 8 months past the deadline for the game, and still no word on it coming out.

Piet

Postby Piet » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:41 pm

Exaskryz wrote:That was fairly coincidental. December 14th is a surprise to me, I'd have expected at least a month's heads up.

Now the real question is when can we expect to get the first DLC. We get the initial Switch version, but when do we get the Switch + first free DLC that backers paid for version?

I assume that "major patch" is what was DLC for the other systems. But that's not DLC for Switch. That's like saying Skyrim or Rocket League on Switch comes with Day negative 942 DLC. That patch is the base part of the game in the Switch Port, so we'd still need to see the promised first free DLC.

The big update was certainly not the DLC.
I guess they're going to work on it after the Switch version is released.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:43 pm

Exaskryz wrote:Now the real question is when can we expect to get the first DLC. We get the initial Switch version, but when do we get the Switch + first free DLC that backers paid for version?

Yeah no, that would be very bold of Playtonic if they considered a major polish patch a DLC for any system. No, I think they're onto it once they sent the final release for the Switch version to Nintendo. I think (as I wrote somewhere else) that parts of the team (like the design department) already started working on the DLC when the rest was busy with the porting process to Switch. So it might not be too far off till we hear something about it.

I don't expect them to run into technical problems with this either, since the framework now stands on every system.

baker_boy0017

Postby baker_boy0017 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:26 pm

While I'm a bit shocked they don't have more DLC to show us, porting to Switch may have just been a much more involved process than at first thought. Regardless, I'm sure they have some DLC started - they basically told us as much a few months ago. Oh well: I'll still have plenty of fun playing through the game on Switch while waiting for the DLC. I think this will be like my 4th or 5th time playing it.

I've noticed that... I just can't bring myself to replay Mario Odyssey, because a lot of the WOW factor is gone that second time. There is SO much in that game that starting over seems silly. But Yooka Laylee still has that nice balance of lots of things to collect without going way too far. It is perfect for replayability!

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”