FINALLY - Switch release date!!!

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Piet
Posts: 678
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:31 am

FINALLY - Switch release date!!!

Postby Piet » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:11 pm

https://www.playtonicgames.com/yooka-la ... ch-dec-14/

Edit:
'it will run at 900p in docked mode, and 600p in handheld mode'.
(Via: http://uk.ign.com/articles/2017/11/28/y ... lease-date)
That's... Okay.

At least let the framerate be stable.. PLEASE...
(What is the intended framerate anyway? 30fps I guess?)

User avatar
baker_boy0017
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon May 22, 2017 8:07 pm

Re: FINALLY - Switch release date!!!

Postby baker_boy0017 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:22 pm

Thank heavens! I was absolutely terrified that this was actually not coming. But it hits in three weeks?! That's a shock! Well played, Playtonic, well played!

I am absolutely thrilled right now. I thought FOR SURE the game wouldn't launch for several months after we were told "it's working," but I was clearly wrong. I wish I could say I was positive the whole time, but this has certainly lifted up my opinion of Playtonic.

With that said, I really do think they should have been communicating a little bit more this whole time. A monthly update, even if all it says is "Switch is progressing. No chance of cancellation at all. We are learning a lot about Switch optimization."

As for the graphics, that doesn't both me so much. In a game like Yooka Laylee, I really don't need 1080p. Like Piet said, though, framerate... well that's another issue entirely. I'd like to believe framerate will be alright, given all of the "optimization" talk they did. I imagine that was a major problem for them in Switch development. It's the unfortunate case that Switch does tend to require certain sacrifices to play well. But like I said, 900 and 600p do not bother me. Let's hope for good framerate!

User avatar
Gorjo
Posts: 106
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:53 pm

Re: FINALLY - Switch release date!!!

Postby Gorjo » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:47 pm

Never even doubted it. :lol:

O O O O H H
B A N A N A

User avatar
Tek
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:08 am

Re: FINALLY - Switch release date!!!

Postby Tek » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:01 pm

That was a nice surprise to wake up to this morning. :D

I always believed it would release eventually, but I absolutely did not expect to hear at this point that it would be releasing in less than a month.

User avatar
ShanPen
Posts: 208
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:16 pm
Location: Australia

Re: FINALLY - Switch release date!!!

Postby ShanPen » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:01 am

A release date's been announced - damn, now what are you going to talk about so much, Piet? :lol:

Great news! Bit of a shock as I thought we'd get another update first saying "We're just working out the final issues and will announce a release date soon" before getting the actual release date, but I'm glad we know now. Congratulations Playtonic on sorting out all the issues!

Piet
Posts: 678
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:31 am

Re: FINALLY - Switch release date!!!

Postby Piet » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:02 am

It is also confirmed by Andy from Playtonic that the game runs at a 'very stable 30fps', which makes the Switch version the best version yet, framerate-/gameplaywise.
Source: https://twitter.com/AndyPlaytonic/statu ... 2401937409
Printscreen: https://imgur.com/a/6yUt2

IGN (via PTG):
'Playtonic claims the Switch version of Yooka-Laylee is the best yet, thanks to optimisations that have resulted in improvements such as a more consistent frame-rate.'
Source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/11/28/ ... lease-date

Also:
'Those who backed the game on Kickstarter and chose to receive a Wii U version, then chose to receive a Switch copy when the Wii U port was canceled, will receive a code on launch day.'
I think that's a bummer, 'cause I think we backers DESERVE to play it like a week (or at least a couple of days) early, as we helped creating this game.
Thoughts? :)

You want me to talk(/nag) about other stuff?
Are you 100% sure? :lol:


Edit:
I just read all comments under PTG's Twitter & FB Switch game release date posts. MANY people are not going to buy the Switch version anymore, 'cause it took so long to release, or 'cause they bought/played/completed it already (on another platform), or 'cause there will be no physical version (yet), or 'cause they plainly lost interest (due to other games, like SMO, being released)...
I don't know how I (should) feel about this matter...
Last edited by Piet on Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
BookWyrm
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:20 am

Re: FINALLY - Switch release date!!!

Postby BookWyrm » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:07 am

I was hoping we would get the codes when pre-ordor went up. But, if the switch codes work like the ones on 3ds even if you got a code early the store would not take it till the game goes live. So it may be impossible to give us the game early since it is a digital only release.

User avatar
Alph
Posts: 188
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:54 pm

Re: FINALLY - Switch release date!!!

Postby Alph » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:58 am

Piet wrote:Edit:
I just read all comments under PTG's Twitter & FB Switch game release date posts. MANY people are not going to buy the Switch version anymore, 'cause it took so long to release, or 'cause they bought/played/completed it already (on another platform), or 'cause there will be no physical version (yet), or 'cause they plainly lost interest (due to other games, like SMO, being released)...
I don't know how I (should) feel about this matter...


They really should add something extra for the Switch version to help make up for the delay. Add some nice amiibo functionality, bundle the physical version with a Yooka-Laylee amiibo, put all the DLC on the cart, and call it "Yooka-Laylee: Nintendo Switch Special Edition" or something like that to make it stand out.

Piet
Posts: 678
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:31 am

Re: FINALLY - Switch release date!!!

Postby Piet » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:15 am

I agree.

User avatar
ShanPen
Posts: 208
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:16 pm
Location: Australia

Re: FINALLY - Switch release date!!!

Postby ShanPen » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:47 pm

Piet wrote:You want me to talk(/nag) about other stuff?
Are you 100% sure? :lol:


Well there's always the fact that there's no physical version confirmed yet... :D
Also I just read some comments on another Switch release date announcement article where someone called it "Yooka-Delaylee" - must admit, I'm a bit disappointed you didn't coin that term in all your nagging posts. :lol:


For anyone who's interested, here's a Gavin Price quote about what took them so long with the Switch port (from the Eurogamer.net article):

Gavin Price wrote:"It's a new platform where we're using a middleware engine, so it adds another link to the chain - especially when we're the first game of this scale on this engine on this platform," Price said. "There's been lots of stuff to learn, especially when you've made decisions already for other versions of the game which you have to unbuild and then rebuild. We wanted it to be fantastic and to have achieved a really high optimisation level.

"We've had really great support from Unity and Nintendo - and folks at Team 17 - from people on the engine side of things to help us understand what's going on. They've put a lot of work and effort into the engine side of things where maybe they didn't even realise there was a problem, until someone comes along with a game like this."


EDIT:
Also just found this in another article, so all hope for a physical version is not lost! :D
Gavin Price wrote:Our aim was to get the game into players’ hands as soon as possible and a digital launch allowed us to do that. We haven’t ruled out doing a physical release in future and would strive to make sure it would have added value which takes time to get right.

Anyone want to take any guesses what that "added value" might be, if it does happen?

User avatar
Rueckkoppler
Posts: 1068
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:22 pm

Re: FINALLY - Switch release date!!!

Postby Rueckkoppler » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:01 pm

ShanPen wrote:
Piet wrote:You want me to talk(/nag) about other stuff?
Are you 100% sure? :lol:


Well there's always the fact that there's no physical version confirmed yet... :D
Also I just read some comments on another Switch release date announcement article where someone called it "Yooka-Delaylee" - must admit, I'm a bit disappointed you didn't coin that term in all your nagging posts. :lol:


For anyone who's interested, here's a Gavin Price quote about what took them so long with the Switch port (from the Eurogamer.net article):

Gavin Price wrote:"It's a new platform where we're using a middleware engine, so it adds another link to the chain - especially when we're the first game of this scale on this engine on this platform," Price said. "There's been lots of stuff to learn, especially when you've made decisions already for other versions of the game which you have to unbuild and then rebuild. We wanted it to be fantastic and to have achieved a really high optimisation level.

"We've had really great support from Unity and Nintendo - and folks at Team 17 - from people on the engine side of things to help us understand what's going on. They've put a lot of work and effort into the engine side of things where maybe they didn't even realise there was a problem, until someone comes along with a game like this."


Okay sorry Shan, gotta stop you here. Piet was nagging about the silence about the Switch release date, which was annoying and repetitive. I got his feeling about this (I didn't feel different), but these constant repetitions were very annoying. I don't think however that he was nagging for the sake of throwing crap on Yooka-Laylee or Playtonic, so please differentiate here and don't provoke a b*tchfight :mrgreen: (sorry that term makes me grin).

Yooka-Delaylee is a legit joke, that's what happened after all ;) Now let's look forward to this release already!

The added value might be included DLC? Or something? That part down there was pretty confusing tbh.
Last edited by Rueckkoppler on Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ShanPen
Posts: 208
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:16 pm
Location: Australia

Re: FINALLY - Switch release date!!!

Postby ShanPen » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:11 pm

Rueckkoppler wrote:Okay sorry Shan, gotta stop you here. Piet was nagging about the silence about the Switch release date, which was annoying and repetitive. I got his feeling about this (I didn't feel different), but these constant repetitions were very annoying. I don't think however that he was nagging for the sake of throwing crap on Yooka-Laylee or Playtonic, so please differentiate here and don't provoke a b*tchfight :mrgreen: (sorry that term makes me grin).


Honestly not being bitchy, it's all in fun. I have no problem with Piet (even though some of the whining got tedious at times), and I found the term "Yooka-Delaylee" hilarious, so I was serious (in a joking way) in saying I'm disappointed Piet didn't come up with it first considering how dedicated he was. :lol:

User avatar
Rueckkoppler
Posts: 1068
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:22 pm

Re: FINALLY - Switch release date!!!

Postby Rueckkoppler » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:15 pm

ShanPen wrote:
Rueckkoppler wrote:Okay sorry Shan, gotta stop you here. Piet was nagging about the silence about the Switch release date, which was annoying and repetitive. I got his feeling about this (I didn't feel different), but these constant repetitions were very annoying. I don't think however that he was nagging for the sake of throwing crap on Yooka-Laylee or Playtonic, so please differentiate here and don't provoke a b*tchfight :mrgreen: (sorry that term makes me grin).


Honestly not being bitchy, it's all in fun. I have no problem with Piet (even though some of the whining got tedious at times), and I found the term "Yooka-Delaylee" hilarious, so I was serious (in a joking way) in saying I'm disappointed Piet didn't come up with it first considering how dedicated he was. :lol:


Alright, I was afraid you were. :) 8-)

Alph wrote:
Piet wrote:Edit:
I just read all comments under PTG's Twitter & FB Switch game release date posts. MANY people are not going to buy the Switch version anymore, 'cause it took so long to release, or 'cause they bought/played/completed it already (on another platform), or 'cause there will be no physical version (yet), or 'cause they plainly lost interest (due to other games, like SMO, being released)...
I don't know how I (should) feel about this matter...


They really should add something extra for the Switch version to help make up for the delay. Add some nice amiibo functionality, bundle the physical version with a Yooka-Laylee amiibo, put all the DLC on the cart, and call it "Yooka-Laylee: Nintendo Switch Special Edition" or something like that to make it stand out.


Yeah, that's what I could imagine. That way they might make up for the price of the physical version (which will most likely at 40, while the other platforms already went down to 20 or something).

Piet
Posts: 678
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:31 am

Re: FINALLY - Switch release date!!!

Postby Piet » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:38 pm

I know I was nagging (I was also annoying myself, tbh), but I just couldn't take the silence anymore! :lol:
CRAP, I SHOULD've been the one who came up with 'Yooka-Delaylee'! Missed opportunity.. XD

The most impotant thing:
We finally have a release date, so YL is coming to the Switch with 'a very stable 30fps' & fine resolutions + I'm sure PTG learned from their mistakes (at least, let's hope so). :)

And I do hope Switch backers get something extra (somewhere in the future)!

User avatar
Rueckkoppler
Posts: 1068
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:22 pm

Re: FINALLY - Switch release date!!!

Postby Rueckkoppler » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:56 pm

I'm hoping that they learned from their mistakes, too. In the future, there's hopefully more polish, more evolutions on gameplay-formulas and less time wasted on fiddling with the engine. I wish that they'll earn enough (especially with the Switch release, since it really looks like they took the effort to make it good) that they'll continue with Gavin's vision and show everyone what they're capable of.

Piet
Posts: 678
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:31 am

Re: FINALLY - Switch release date!!!

Postby Piet » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:57 pm

Rueckkoppler wrote:I'm hoping that they learned from their mistakes, too. In the future, there's hopefully more polish, more evolutions on gameplay-formulas and less time wasted on fiddling with the engine. I wish that they'll earn enough (especially with the Switch release, since it really looks like they took the effort to make it good) that they'll continue with Gavin's vision and show everyone what they're capable of.

This + better communication towards the fanbase = Happy me! ;P

User avatar
Rueckkoppler
Posts: 1068
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:22 pm

Re: FINALLY - Switch release date!!!

Postby Rueckkoppler » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:41 pm

Piet wrote:
Rueckkoppler wrote:I'm hoping that they learned from their mistakes, too. In the future, there's hopefully more polish, more evolutions on gameplay-formulas and less time wasted on fiddling with the engine. I wish that they'll earn enough (especially with the Switch release, since it really looks like they took the effort to make it good) that they'll continue with Gavin's vision and show everyone what they're capable of.

This + better communication towards the fanbase = Happy me! ;P


Sure, although there's less of an obligation to that when they're not relying on Kickstarter anymore. I mean, Rare kept shut until they were close to dropping the games if I remember it correctly. To me that sounds great, too! So if there are no issues, I don't care so much about the communication.

Piet
Posts: 678
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:31 am

Re: FINALLY - Switch release date!!!

Postby Piet » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:48 pm

Rueckkoppler wrote:
Piet wrote:
Rueckkoppler wrote:I'm hoping that they learned from their mistakes, too. In the future, there's hopefully more polish, more evolutions on gameplay-formulas and less time wasted on fiddling with the engine. I wish that they'll earn enough (especially with the Switch release, since it really looks like they took the effort to make it good) that they'll continue with Gavin's vision and show everyone what they're capable of.

This + better communication towards the fanbase = Happy me! ;P

Sure, although there's less of an obligation to that when they're not relying on Kickstarter anymore. I mean, Rare kept shut until they were close to dropping the games if I remember it correctly. To me that sounds great, too! So if there are no issues, I don't care so much about the communication.

I agree.

User avatar
baker_boy0017
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon May 22, 2017 8:07 pm

Re: FINALLY - Switch release date!!!

Postby baker_boy0017 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:04 pm

I'm glad to hear the framerate is apparently solid.

I think a lot of Playtonic's comments also suggest a lot more support for the Switch in the future, given how much they seem to understand it versus the other consoles now, at least in terms of optimization. This was a growing pain to be sure, but I think it may end up being one that's well worth it in the end.

After two months of silence, I really did not expect this game to be launching in 2017. I am so incredibly happy to have been wrong. I honestly cannot wait to play through the game on Switch. As great as Mario Odyssey was, now that I've beaten it and gotten so close to 100% completion, I find so much less reason to go back and play it, let alone restart it. But this will be my 4th or 5th time playing Yooka Laylee, and I'm still excited. For all of the issues the game has, I still find it very enjoyable, and very easy to replay... with the exception of a certain dinosaur, perhaps.

User avatar
Meinhard1
Posts: 332
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:16 pm

Re: FINALLY - Switch release date!!!

Postby Meinhard1 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:11 pm

Great to see the relative positivity in this topic.

For those of us who have waited, I wonder if it will be for the best to be playing the game a) removed from some of the controversy b) removed from the massive weighty hype and c) post patch and hopefully well optimized
I also think that this sort of game will do well with the Switches sleep/wake, portability features. One can access the game in seconds at any time, grab a few quills / find a Paige, put the system back in sleep mode.

Anyways I am so ready to play Project Ukulele ! :)


Return to “Yooka-Laylee”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], EekumBokum202, ShanPen and 9 guests