Really Trying to Love This Game

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Unlawfulpotato

Really Trying to Love This Game

Postby Unlawfulpotato » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:25 am

So far, I am just about to enter World 5, and have expanded every other world. I just reached the Slide right next to world 5 to get the Pagie in it, and I have to say that throughout my time playing this game, I find myself saying, "You can't make this like that!" way too often. I WANT so badly to like this game, but when you make gameplay like the Slide, Rextro's games, the Kartos sections, and other things...you NEED to make sure they actually work properly and aren't overly difficult. And yeah, I can already see it coming: "Git gud! You just suck! Lol!" I don't care. I've seen crap about these things EVERYWHERE. I seriously am finding myself CONSTANTLY questioning Playtonic on their choices, and wondering how much playtesting actually went into this stuff, and just WHO did the playtesting. I have never before gotten SO frustrated at a game. Not even Dark Souls. But dear lord, when I first tried the Kartos stuff, I got so frustrated I had to get up and walk away, and that never happens for me. I haven't even completed a single Kartos thing because of how impossibly frustrating it is. I'm not even sure if I'll complete the Slide I'm currently on. Playtonic, if you're even reading this, you wanna know how to make a Slide "level"? Go play Mario 64. You might learn something. MIGHT.

TL;DR: I want to love this game because I loved Banjo-Kazooie as a kid, but am finding it incredibly difficult to love because of overly frustrating gameplay.

Piet

Re: Really Trying to Love This Game

Postby Piet » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:02 am

Altho I do really like the game (8-/10), I do have to agree with you.
These minigames are a pain in the ass, not really fun, not really well made (read: unpolished) & the worst of all; present in EVERY level!
Everytime I enter a new world, I think:
'Ah, crap! I have to beat these Rextro & Kartos minigames again... Arhgggg!'
It is the biggest gripe I have with the game, tbh.

They should've handled minigames like they did in BT, where there are some recurring minigames, but nearly every level has a fitting well-designed & polished minigame JUST for that level.

I hope PTG learns from YL & handles this aspect differently in TL. :)

Meinhard1

Postby Meinhard1 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:00 pm

Not everyone will enjoy it, but I do you need to be able to draw a line. The Kartos stuff doesn’t work for many, myself included ... I feel they waste the David Wise music, and even the nice character design (Kartos). Mini games, some are better than others, not as bad as expected.
But really that aside, I think a lot of the game is fair, fun, and CHARMING.

This game was developed on a tight schedule, and features like Kartos and Minigames were mandated (ie promised in the KS, so they couldn’t be cut) ... there wasn’t time to iterate and throw out.
Banjo Kazooie was in development for years, thrown out and remade.
Maybe Playtonic should have delayed a couple years, endured much anger from backers, taken out loans to fund the extended development, and given us more of a classic. Instead they reached a point where they had a great game, that delivers what is promised, and completed nearly on schedule! They chose to release and I don’t blame them.

Piet above clearly enjoyed the game, while maintaining critical of its flaws. If you can accept that you won’t love everything (may hate some things), maybe you can still enjoy the games great aspects! (There are many!)

But even games like Mario Odyssy and Zelda Breath of the Wild won’t be enjoyed by everyone. If you can’t enjoy a game, there’s merit to moving on, to finding one you do enjoy.

Piet

Postby Piet » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:33 am

I don't blame PTG for making some in-game mistakes! Everybody makes mistakes.
I just hope they learn from it and avoid 'em in their upcoming games.

Altho YL certainly has some shortcomings, it definitely hit my BK-snare (which is one of the most amazing & adventurous 'snares' I have). I really like (I even dare to say; 'love') YL & let's hope PTG learns from the whole process (incl errors) regarding the game.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”