Tooka-Laylee story ideas

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Pgcrooner

Tooka-Laylee story ideas

Postby Pgcrooner » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:37 pm

So now that I'm nearing the end of my second playthrough of Yooka-Laylee I'm beginning to wonder what the Story cold be for the sequel and I wanted to open the floor to some interesting story ideas that you think COULD happen or what you would like to see happen. One of the things that I felt were somewhat lacking in Yooka-Laylee was a sense of investment in defeating Capital B I feel that the game failed to properly set up what was at stake should the duo fail to Stop Capital B from acquiring all the pagies. Sure, they mention what could happen but we never get to SEE it, it more of the prospective of SHOWING not TELLING.

So for the sequel i would suggest having the book taken from them by the next baddy, someone more powerful and menacing than capital B, seeing as how they reveal Capital B is actually an underling. Maybe the new threat frees Capital B only to enslave him as an underling. Perhaps this new villain from V.I.L.E has magical powers (not saying a witch or wizard) maybe he or she is supernatural in nature and sports a ghostly or otherworldly (like an Egyptian god) presence. They forcefully snatch the book from the two and begin rewriting all of reality, destroying the duo's home and slowly blinking their friends out of existence. Something or someone intervenes and stops the erasure from finishing. But Yooka and Laylee might be separated or are displaced somewhere and everything and everyone they know has either changed according to the rewrite or have simply ceased to exist. Also as a result from the rewrite the duo lost some of their abilities, and lament not taking the insurance that Trowser offered them in the previous game. Meanwhile because of the timely intervention that stopped the erasure the one book exploded sending the Pagies flying off to other worlds again for our heroes to find. Its now up to the two to recover the pagies and undo the damage done by this new threat!!!!

That would be my Ideal story hook. To me it adds much needed danger and weight to the adventure and makes the story more dark.

How about your ideas? :)

ShanPen

Re: Tooka-Laylee story ideas

Postby ShanPen » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:34 am

Pgcrooner wrote:One of the things that I felt were somewhat lacking in Yooka-Laylee was a sense of investment in defeating Capital B I feel that the game failed to properly set up what was at stake should the duo fail to Stop Capital B from acquiring all the pagies. Sure, they mention what could happen but we never get to SEE it.

This is so accurate!

I've only played the game once, but I can't even remember what the stakes were, apart from a general something along the lines of "using The One Book to re-write the universe" - but did Capital B ever say what he was going to change the universe to be like if he succeeded? Because if he did, I can't really remember (or was it just about making profits?). :shock:

I kept seeing the name "Penny" everywhere in the game so I was convinced there was going to be more to the story that I'd learn about eventually, like some sort of cut scene where we learn that Penny was someone important to Capital B who died/disappeared/left him/etc and that he was going to re-write history so he could see her again, or something like that - maybe he was rejected by this "Penny" years ago because she thought he was too poor, and so ever since he has worked his way up to become this crazed business man obsessed only with profit, and so he wanted to use The One Book to turn everything to profit to prove her wrong and/or win her back. I thought there'd be SOME sort of explanation to justify all the trouble that he was going to, to get The One Book and to prevent Yooka and Laylee from stopping him. But as I made my way through the game, there was no extra story element uncovered.

So I thought SURELY when I went to face Capital B for the final boss fight, that there'd be more story uncovered then, but alas there wasn't that much more revealed. The game lacked a "Game Over" cut-scene to make you feel like there was a reason to not want to fail, like the great cut-scene from Banjo-Kazooie where we see what happens to Tooty if we don't rescue her. Hopefully they'll up the "urgency" in future games to make us feel more invested in the story, and I think something like a Banjo-Kazooie styled "Game-Over" cut-scene could greatly help with that.

(Just letting it be known that I still loved the game and enjoyed playing it very much, so anything I write in these forums is meant as constructive criticism only, in the hope that Playtonic's next game will be even better).

Also Pgcrooner I really like your story idea for a sequel! Though about having to learn the moves again, rather that Yooka and Laylee losing them due to the re-write, could it also be plausible that Trowser - being the dodgy salesman he seems - has actually revoked their moves and when they question it, he refers them to some very fine print on their sales contract saying the moves were only valid for the reality/world/dimension they were originally purchased in, and that if they want those moves again they have to re-purchase them in this reality?

Pgcrooner

Postby Pgcrooner » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:26 pm

I agree with all of your points, and felt the same way. Banjo-Kazooie’s Game over cut scene was frightening, and let you see the consequences of failing. It made it all the more reason for you not to fail.

Also, thanks!
I’m glad you liked my idea for a story sequel. And I think your reason for the duo losing their abilities are actually much more humorous and in line with Yooka-Layee’s brand of humor. I could totally see Trowser pulling a stunt like that! XD

wacky ducky

Postby wacky ducky » Thu May 24, 2018 8:08 pm

I'd like to see that that duck in a huge mech suit. I'd also like if they'd take a central problem/conflict and expand on it by showing how it negatively affects charecters and locations.

the8thark

Postby the8thark » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:02 pm

Why Tooka-Laylee?
It could be Yooka-Toolee.

wacky ducky

Postby wacky ducky » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:24 pm

the8thark wrote:Why Tooka-Laylee?
It could be Yooka-Toolee.

Because ''tooka laylee'' has wordplay while ''yooka toolee'' just tries to mimick ''banjo tooie''. ''Yoo'' sounds like ''too'', you know.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”