A little story about why I love Yooka-Laylee

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Yookatonic

A little story about why I love Yooka-Laylee

Postby Yookatonic » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:55 pm

Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum but I've been a fan of Yooka-Laylee for about 9 months now. Somehow I felt now is the right time to share my story with other fans of the game, so here goes.

I've been playing video games since the NES days and platformers have always been my preferred genre. When the N64 arrived and Rare gave us such titles as Banjo-Kazooie and DK64 I knew deep down that I found my entertainment of choice for life. But then the GC came and the 3D platformer - and Rare - quietly disappeared. Apart from the 3D Mario games, there wasn't really anything in the genre that was able to excite me. Thus, I began my long and fruitless search for a genre of video games that could give me as much joy as 3D platformers once gave me.

I dabbled in 1st person shooters, failed terribly at RTS games, got bored with JRPGs and got depressed by playing MMOs. At one point during a raid I came to the conclusion that video games weren't for me anymore and I gave up on them. This period lasted for about 3 years until I heard about the rise of Indie developers and the games they were creating. Free from the bounds and restrictions of big studios, these developers were creating games in the vein as the ones they loved as a child.

It was Indies like Shovel Knight, Cave Story and Shantae that brought me back into gaming and once I heard about Yooka-Laylee being in development by a new team comprised of former Rare members, I anxiously awaited its release. When the first reviews came out I was a bit distraught to find out it wasn't all that good. Thus, I waited for a sale. Once I played it for myself though, I instantly fell in love with its quirky charm and gameplay, very reminiscent of those good old N64 collect-a-tons like Banjo-Kazooie. I got hooked! After playing through the game several times I realized what was missing from my life: pure joy!

After some deliberation with myself, I began saving for a Nintendo Switch. I wanted to be able to play this game everywhere I went. And here I am right now: the proud owner of a brand new Switch, loaded with Yooka-Laylee to play everywhere I go.

I'm the happiest chameleon in the world right now. :mrgreen:
I'm a huge fan of Yooka-Laylee by Playtonic Games. It is without a doubt my all time favorite video game!

ShanPen

Re: A little story about why I love Yooka-Laylee

Postby ShanPen » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:49 am

Hi, welcome to the forum! :)
Unfortunately they've been a bit quiet lately, but hopefully they'll pick up again when (if?) the Yooka-Laylee DLC comes out.

I'm glad you've been able to find joy playing games again thanks to Yooka-Laylee! I was also really disappointed when all my beloved Banjo-Kazooie styled games seemed to suddenly disappear off the radar after the Nintendo 64 era ended, and if it hadn't have been for the steady stream of Zelda games, I think I might have stopped having much interest in the newer generations of gaming too, I would have just replayed all my favourite old games over and over while sadly thinking "back in my day!" :lol:

That's actually how I found out about Yooka-Laylee, because I Googled something like "games similar to Banjo-Kazooie" and incidentally it was only a few days after the Yooka-Laylee kickstarter campaign had started, so I found that and was so excited and became a backer instantly. (In that same Google session I also found out about an overlooked N64 platformer called "Rocket: Robot on Wheels" which I bought on ebay and tried out, and from what I've played of it so far, it is fun, so if you haven't tried it out you might like it if you can track down a copy).

Congratulations on your new Switch, too! Have you been enjoying any other Switch games and have any to recommend, or are there any future games you're looking forward to? I'm not usually a fan of shooter games, but I really love the Splatoon series so Splatoon 2 has got a lot of play on my Switch. I'm also really excited about the Crash Bandicoot N.Sane Trilogy coming to Switch in July! :D

Yookatonic

Postby Yookatonic » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:01 am

Thank you for the suggestion of Rocket: Robot on Wheels. I never heard of it before, but I still own my N64 and definitely want to play it. I did a quick search on ebay but the PAL version is a bit too expensive right now. I'll keep an eye on it though.

As for the Switch, I LOVE it! :D
I only got it for a couple of days though and I've been busy playing Yooka-Laylee, so I don't have any other games for it at the moment. But I'm looking forward to buying some more platformers because that is my preferred genre.
Super Mario Odyssey is a given and I'm looking forward to Super Smash Bros (last one I played was Melee).
Some Indies are also high on my wishlist: Shovel Knight, Celeste, Owlboy, Shantae, Lumo and Poi: Explorer Edition.

I've got a lot to look forward to! :lol:
I'm a huge fan of Yooka-Laylee by Playtonic Games. It is without a doubt my all time favorite video game!

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:13 pm

Glad you like it.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”