Will it be released physical on the Switch?

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Scaramoosh

Will it be released physical on the Switch?

Postby Scaramoosh » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:08 pm

I just refuse to buy digital with Nintendo.

ShanPen

Re: Will it be released physical on the Switch?

Postby ShanPen » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:17 am

Not sure, Playtonic have said they would like to do a physical copy, but they weren't able to at the time the Switch version released.

Hopefully there'll be a physical release one day in the future.

Scaramoosh

Postby Scaramoosh » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:38 pm

Guess i’ll Wait then, that or a 50% off sale or something... I just don’t see any value in buying digital download games, especially on Nintendo platforms.

ShanPen

Postby ShanPen » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:59 am

I understand, I'd prefer a physical copy too for my game collection, so fingers crossed for the future!

Although I was disappointed there was no physical copy, having the digital version of Yooka-Laylee on my Switch has been surprisingly good because if I get sick of playing whichever physical game cartridge is currently in my Switch, having some good quality digital games (I have Yooka-Laylee and Snake Pass) always gives me other options to scroll across to and play without having to put in another game cartridge - great for if you're playing in docked mode and are too comfortable to get up to change cartridges, or like my current situation where all my games are packed away in boxes because I'm moving house soon but I'm still able to play 3 games on my Switch because I have the Splatoon 2 cartridge in the console and then the 2 digital games installed.

For people who carry their Switch out and about with them to play undocked, digital games mean they don't have to take several game cartriges along that could possibly get lost.

And yeah with the way Nintendo games hold their value it does seem silly to not buy a physical copy if possible because you can re-sell them if you want (I wish there was a way you could at least gift your digital games to someone else when done, especially if you buy the physical copy of the same game - like if there ever is a physical copy of Yooka-Laylee I'd love to be able to give my sister my digital copy of the game so the code isn't wasted - but I know that'll never happen), there are a few other good reasons to buy digital. Like if you can't get to the physical shops for some reason, eg. people who are sick or have a disability that makes mobility an issue, or if you live in a remote area, or if you want the game instantly but the physical shops are shut at the time.

I used to be completely against the idea of digital games, but now I can see some benefits to them.

Scaramoosh

Postby Scaramoosh » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:08 pm

If it’s available on a service like gog, I’ll buy digital as I own the exe. However if it’s a service where they decide to stop it... no, I want physical. Unless of course it’s under 10 quid, then I can justify the purchase, but I’m not sinking 35 quid for a game I don’t own, I’m just renting it for a long time.

ShanPen

Postby ShanPen » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:34 am

Scaramoosh wrote:If it’s available on a service like gog, I’ll buy digital as I own the exe. However if it’s a service where they decide to stop it... no, I want physical. Unless of course it’s under 10 quid, then I can justify the purchase, but I’m not sinking 35 quid for a game I don’t own, I’m just renting it for a long time.

I thought it was only an issue for games that need a connection to the internet to work, where you could consider it as only renting the game until the company decides to switch off the servers. Wouldn't Yooka-Laylee be ok because it doesn't rely on the internet once you've downloaded the game and any further updates? That was my understanding anyway, but I could be wrong.

Although I guess if your Switch ever got broken or stolen it could be an issue in the future if the game has been taken down from the eShop so you couldn't re-download it on another Switch. Or I suppose Nintendo could technically force an update on the Switch that removed certain games from your system if they decided to - is that more the sort of thing you're worried about? Just out of interest, have you (or anyone else reading this) heard about that happening with any games before on a Nintendo platform (or even other platforms)? Now I'm slightly worried too, and hoping even more for that physical Yooka-Laylee release...

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”