Yooka-Laylee's first anniversary!

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Piet
Posts: 747
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:31 am

Re: Yooka-Laylee's first anniversary!

Postby Piet » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:37 pm

Taylor wrote:
Piet wrote:
Taylor wrote:Primarily because the stretch goals had absolutely no impact on whether I did or didn't invest, nor did it affect the amount I backed with. I also understand that in a realistic world, not everything can go to plan, which was actually stated on the Yooka-Laylee Kickstarter page. The stretch goals were never promises.

I'm actually quite curious about how much of an effect the stretch goals had on the final total collected with Kickstarter. I would presume not very much, but of course I don't have the data.

But the stretchgoals DID have impact on other people's investments and pledge amounts, like mine.
If they say they will add more stuff IF they get more money and they do get said money (they did), they have to deliver. Deceiving (that's what it is, IF they don't deliver) you project's backers is never a good idea. :)
The 4 stretchgoals that aren't fulfilled yet, are the ones with the highest pledge amounts. :roll:


May 2nd, 2015: (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1082&p=10792#p10792)
Piet wrote:I pledged 70!
Don't care for the t-shirt, but I want everything physical (ex. the N64 thingy) & digital (for my Wii U).

Maaaannnnn, I can' wait! :D


May 3rd, 2015, Playtonic add higher stretch goals: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pl ... ts/1219224

It's quite funny that you were able to predict the future, making the stretch goals affect your pledge amount before they were even part of the Kickstarter, hey? :roll:

You just come across as extremely entitled. Get realistic -- if they fulfil every stretch goal, awesome. If not, there would be a practical reason why they couldn't. If you want to abandon Playtonic in that scenario, go ahead, nobody is stopping you.

I raised my pledge after they announced the new stretchgoals. Nice try tho! ;)

Entitled because I want them to fulfill their promises? Okay man. Sure! :D

I’m not even being negative or anything. The radio silence just held on for too long (almost 4(!!) months), but luckily it’s broken now. ;)

User avatar
Taylor
Posts: 1745
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:05 pm
Location: Forum Moderator

Re: Yooka-Laylee's first anniversary!

Postby Taylor » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:41 pm

Piet wrote:
Taylor wrote:
May 2nd, 2015: (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1082&p=10792#p10792)
Piet wrote:I pledged 70!
Don't care for the t-shirt, but I want everything physical (ex. the N64 thingy) & digital (for my Wii U).

Maaaannnnn, I can' wait! :D


May 3rd, 2015, Playtonic add higher stretch goals: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pl ... ts/1219224

It's quite funny that you were able to predict the future, making the stretch goals affect your pledge amount before they were even part of the Kickstarter, hey? :roll:

You just come across as extremely entitled. Get realistic -- if they fulfil every stretch goal, awesome. If not, there would be a practical reason why they couldn't. If you want to abandon Playtonic in that scenario, go ahead, nobody is stopping you.

I raised my pledge after they announced the new stretchgoals. Nice try tho! ;)

Entitled because I want them to fulfill their promises? Okay man. Sure! :D

I’m not even being negative or anything. The radio silence just held on for too long (almost 4(!!) months), but luckily it’s broken now. ;)


Yeah, okay, I'll take your word for it, but nobody with half a brain would believe that you raised your pledge; as if a tiny increase would have any real effect on a £500,000 stretch goal. Get real -- In fact, I invite you to provide evidence of an increased pledge, bearing in mind that I moderate this forum and can contact Playtonic staff directly if I really wanted to. :roll:

Yes, very entitled. It was never a promise; the risks and challenges were set out clearly from day 1 before any stretch goals were proposed:

Yooka-Laylee's Kickstarter wrote:Game development can be a harsh taskmaster, with time and financial constraints often providing unexpected challenges that can ultimately lead to changes and delays.
Taylonic Ltd.

User avatar
Scrubber
Posts: 1399
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:33 pm

Re: Yooka-Laylee's first anniversary!

Postby Scrubber » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:16 pm

Scrubber wrote:
Playtonics "soon" has to be taken with a pinch of salt.


Told ya

Piet
Posts: 747
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:31 am

Re: Yooka-Laylee's first anniversary!

Postby Piet » Tue May 01, 2018 6:43 am

Taylor wrote:Yeah, okay, I'll take your word for it, but nobody with half a brain would believe that you raised your pledge; as if a tiny increase would have any real effect on a £500,000 stretch goal. Get real -- In fact, I invite you to provide evidence of an increased pledge, bearing in mind that I moderate this forum and can contact Playtonic staff directly if I really wanted to. :roll:

Yes, very entitled. It was never a promise; the risks and challenges were set out clearly from day 1 before any stretch goals were proposed:

Yooka-Laylee's Kickstarter wrote:Game development can be a harsh taskmaster, with time and financial constraints often providing unexpected challenges that can ultimately lead to changes and delays.


Hahh! If you don't trust me, then just contact PTG. They will provide all the evidence you're asking for (just like you're saying yourself).
They're talking about 'changes and delays' not about cancelations. ;)

And I'm not even saying that they won't deliver. I'm just saying that I expect them to fulfill all of their stretchgoals. I'm not being negative here. :)


Scrubber wrote:Told ya

Yup.

User avatar
Taylor
Posts: 1745
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:05 pm
Location: Forum Moderator

Re: Yooka-Laylee's first anniversary!

Postby Taylor » Wed May 02, 2018 4:28 am

Piet wrote:Hahh! If you don't trust me, then just contact PTG. They will provide all the evidence you're asking for (just like you're saying yourself).
They're talking about 'changes and delays' not about cancelations. ;)

And I'm not even saying that they won't deliver. I'm just saying that I expect them to fulfill all of their stretchgoals. I'm not being negative here. :)


PM me your actual details and I'll be more than happy to make an inquiry -- "Piet" isn't enough to go on.

And please stop with the winking faces; you're not being smart, or witty. The quote is applicable to games development in general, and if Playtonic decide that they must put some stretch goals on the back-burner (maybe indefinitely), then they are fully entitled to do that. There would also be a valid reason for these decisions.

I'm finished discussing this, by the way. If you wish to continue it (or send me your details so I can go ahead with that inquiry), drop me a PM.
Taylonic Ltd.

Piet
Posts: 747
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:31 am

Re: Yooka-Laylee's first anniversary!

Postby Piet » Wed May 02, 2018 8:32 am

Taylor wrote:PM me your actual details and I'll be more than happy to make an inquiry -- "Piet" isn't enough to go on.

And please stop with the winking faces; you're not being smart, or witty. The quote is applicable to games development in general, and if Playtonic decide that they must put some stretch goals on the back-burner (maybe indefinitely), then they are fully entitled to do that. There would also be a valid reason for these decisions.

I'm finished discussing this, by the way. If you wish to continue it (or send me your details so I can go ahead with that inquiry), drop me a PM.


Which details do you want to know exactly?
I don't use the 'winking faces' to show I'm smart of witty. I use 'em because you say things that are not precisely stated in the text you quoted and I'm pointing that out to you.

A question: Are you okay with someone holding a big fat steak in front of a hungry dog, telling the dog he will get it if he gives a paw, lies down & gives a kiss, but after the dog does all of that the owner just gives half of the steak and the rest MAYBE later? :)
Last edited by Piet on Wed May 02, 2018 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ShanPen
Posts: 295
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:16 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Yooka-Laylee's first anniversary!

Postby ShanPen » Wed May 02, 2018 2:00 pm

I wouldn't be terribly upset if all the stretch goals weren't met, but I can understand that other people might be disappointed if it happens.

Even if those who are disappointed understand and appreciate why certain stretch goals couldn't be met (if it comes to that), it still doesn't make their disappointment vanish because people can't help their feelings. What they can help though, is how they react - so as long as they don't start abusing Playtonic or whinging and carrying on like a child having a tantrum, they should be allowed to feel disappointed.

Piet
Posts: 747
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:31 am

Re: Yooka-Laylee's first anniversary!

Postby Piet » Wed May 02, 2018 9:30 pm

ShanPen wrote:I wouldn't be terribly upset if all the stretch goals weren't met, but I can understand that other people might be disappointed if it happens.

Even if those who are disappointed understand and appreciate why certain stretch goals couldn't be met (if it comes to that), it still doesn't make their disappointment vanish because people can't help their feelings. What they can help though, is how they react - so as long as they don't start abusing Playtonic or whinging and carrying on like a child having a tantrum, they should be allowed to feel disappointed.

Okay, you’re 100% right indeed! :)

User avatar
baker_boy0017
Posts: 93
Joined: Mon May 22, 2017 8:07 pm

Re: Yooka-Laylee's first anniversary!

Postby baker_boy0017 » Thu May 03, 2018 1:35 am

Wow, been a while since I was on here. Came by because I recently played through (most) of the game again, and was curious if the silence on Playtonic's part was possibly less so on the forum. Oh well :(

I'd like to weight in on the topic at hand though. I can totally understand some stretch goals not being met, although I wouldn't be super happy about it obviously. Right now, my biggest concern is just wanting to know exactly what they are doing. Playing through the game again has left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth, simply because of all the little things that can still be fixed (or rather "improved"), but have yet to be. This wouldn't be so bad if I knew what to expect with DLC, or knew that they were already under development of the next game (the next YL game, IDC about any others really).

I also understand that making otherwise easy fixes to a game that's on four different platforms may be a real pain. Playing through this last time, I feel like I've noticed a lot of things that seemed to be driven more by "Oh, this is neat what we can do with Unity, let's put it in" versus some grand plan, like this game was really the team getting their feet wet with Unity. So maybe doing tiny patches is even worse. Nevertheless, it's for this reason that I have a lot of faith the next game will be significantly better: they'll have a much better idea of how to handle the engine and what not, and might be able to focus more on pure game design.

Taylor, out of curiosity, do you have regular contact with the Playtonic people? As in, might you be aware of anything on the horizon, or are you in the dark just as much as us?

Piet
Posts: 747
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:31 am

Re: Yooka-Laylee's first anniversary!

Postby Piet » Thu May 03, 2018 7:27 am

baker_boy0017 wrote:Right now, my biggest concern is just wanting to know exactly what they are doing. Playing through the game again has left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth, simply because of all the little things that can still be fixed (or rather "improved"), but have yet to be.

I agree with this, but let's hope PTG surprises us! :D

User avatar
Taylor
Posts: 1745
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:05 pm
Location: Forum Moderator

Re: Yooka-Laylee's first anniversary!

Postby Taylor » Fri May 04, 2018 7:27 pm

baker_boy0017 wrote:Taylor, out of curiosity, do you have regular contact with the Playtonic people? As in, might you be aware of anything on the horizon, or are you in the dark just as much as us?


I'm in the same boat as you all. The funny thing is, the last time I contacted Playtonic directly was the morning of the last Kickstarter update. I asked about the silence, and by pure coincidence, they told me they had the update lined up for that day -- (it was nothing to do with me asking about it).
Taylonic Ltd.

Pokemaniac Dan
Posts: 127
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:35 pm

Re: Yooka-Laylee's first anniversary!

Postby Pokemaniac Dan » Mon May 07, 2018 4:56 pm

A little more than a year after release and it's no surprise the same negative people are still being negative lol

Thanks PG for a fun game full of nostalgia! Hope you're still working hard on some stuff (updates or new, doesn't matter). Can't wait for soon to come to fruition :lol:

User avatar
Scrubber
Posts: 1399
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:33 pm

Re: Yooka-Laylee's first anniversary!

Postby Scrubber » Mon May 14, 2018 9:39 pm

Been over a month now. I don't know why they bother saying soon.

LancerEagle
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 7:17 pm

Re: Yooka-Laylee's first anniversary!

Postby LancerEagle » Thu May 17, 2018 5:57 pm

Has anyone heard any solid numbers of how Yooka-Laylee has performed on the Switch? Remember, as lousy as that delay was for the Switch-only backers, from Playtonic's perspective it meant an unanticipated eight months(!) of extra work that they only got paid for after they finished. If the return on that kind of time investment was anything less than spectacular, I think it's a pretty safe bet that all the stretch goal money has been spent by now- PTG has 20+ mouths to feed, after all. Maybe they might knock out the dev commentary videos at some point as that isn't very resource-intensive, but orchestras, new shaders, etc. all cost money that simply may not exist right now. On the other hand, if the Switch version did really well then maybe it's just a matter of waiting until everything finished on Playtonic's end.

Either way, I'm content with the game that was made with our Kickstarter backer dollars, and am viewing anything else that we get as a bonus. As long as Playtonic has the financial stability to make a second game off the back of Y-L, I'll be a happy camper.

Simtaur
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:16 am

Re: Yooka-Laylee's first anniversary!

Postby Simtaur » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:12 am

So over a year later now and I am still playing this game. I bought it on PS4 when it came out to have a physical copy as well as to help contribute to it's success. Played through and beat the game and really enjoyed it.

Sometime after that I redeemed my digital download code to Steam for backing it on KS, and only played a little bit of it here and there in the following months,and then a decent amount more when the camera update came out. Now that I have a 4k TV hooked up to my PC, and the a 1 year anniversary has passed by, I have been playing YL a lot more and I plan on 100% completing it on PC at some point, hopefully soon depending on life responsibilities.

The game is absolutely gorgeous to look at in 4k at fantastic settings and has a smooth framerate. Simply controlling YL in such a colorful and creative environment is a real joy for me, and the act of controlling YL itself just feels really good to me. I'm currently sitting at 37 hours of playtime simply because I'll run around and explore a world even after I've 100% completed it just to soak in the environment and the feel of the controls running, jumping, and flying through the various playforms, as well as replaying the kartos and rextro challenges.

So I think it's safe to say that Yooka-Laylee is a success and a real treat for me! My kickstarter expectations were met, and I appreciate all the hard work the team put into making it. Having had such a wonderful experience with it, I really hope that Playtonic Games isn't discouraged or soured by the experience of some of the negativity that came out and the constant badgering of some people demanding an update for the 64 bit content (I'm talking about the rude ones not the respectful ones). So I want them to know that there are people out there like myself that are rekindling their fond childhood memories by playing this game, and their work was not in vain or a waste of time by any stretch of the imagination. Thanks again

EDIT: Ohh, and the music absolutely nailed it and contributes a lot to the joy and feel of the game. The music is perfect!

User avatar
Scrubber
Posts: 1399
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:33 pm

Re: Yooka-Laylee's first anniversary!

Postby Scrubber » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:35 pm

Scrubber wrote:"Soon we'll start talking more actively, both about extra content for Yooka-Laylee, plus… other stuff. Shhh!"

Playtonics "soon" has to be taken with a pinch of salt.

Over 2 months now. Seriously why use the word soon AT ALL.

Piet
Posts: 747
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:31 am

Re: Yooka-Laylee's first anniversary!

Postby Piet » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:13 am

Scrubber wrote:
Scrubber wrote:"Soon we'll start talking more actively, both about extra content for Yooka-Laylee, plus… other stuff. Shhh!"

Playtonics "soon" has to be taken with a pinch of salt.

Over 2 months now. Seriously why use the word soon AT ALL.

'Cause their communication sucks (it's a fact).

Simtaur
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:16 am

Re: Yooka-Laylee's first anniversary!

Postby Simtaur » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:25 pm

They did just recently announce a Switch physical release for the game, so they were at least working on something. Might not be what everyone else was looking for, but it is something.

Also I finally 100% completed the game on PC this morning, after beating it on PS4 on release. I got every achievement unlocked and I'm satisfied. Waiting for new stuff is fine with me since there are going to be a lot of games to play based on what was shown at E3. Thanks again Playtonic.


Return to “Yooka-Laylee”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

cron