Yooka-Laylee's first anniversary!

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Piet
Posts: 699
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:31 am

Yooka-Laylee's first anniversary!

Postby Piet » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:07 am

So, today is Yooka-Laylee's first anniversary!
I can't wait for the surprise announcement PTG is going to make today! :)

User avatar
ShanPen
Posts: 251
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:16 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Yooka-Laylee's first anniversary!

Postby ShanPen » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:59 am

Aww, I just loaded World 5 on the Switch and spoke to the
secret robot in the hope that the percentage might have changed from 75% to 100%, but no luck (more info here for anyone wondering what this is about http://forums.playtonicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5452).

I thought it might have happened today to mark the 1 year anniversary of the game's release. :(

Piet
Posts: 699
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:31 am

Re: Yooka-Laylee's first anniversary!

Postby Piet » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:54 am

ShanPen wrote:Aww, I just loaded World 5 on the Switch and spoke to the
secret robot in the hope that the percentage might have changed from 75% to 100%, but no luck (more info here for anyone wondering what this is about http://forums.playtonicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5452).

I thought it might have happened today to mark the 1 year anniversary of the game's release. :(

Still no news. I have a bad feeling about this, since 4 Kickstarter stretchgoals haven't been met yet...
O and the forum is dead too...

User avatar
ShanPen
Posts: 251
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:16 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Yooka-Laylee's first anniversary!

Postby ShanPen » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:39 pm

I still think they will release some sort of DLC...eventually.

But speaking of stretch goals, I saw someone in the comments section on the Yooka-Laylee Kickstarter page say that Grant Kirkhope apparently confirmed there was no longer going to be an orchestral soundtrack (which I'm not surprised about, as recording that would be so expensive, and I reckon they needed that money to help them fund all the extra effort required to get the Switch version of the game up and running). I'm happy with the music in the game as is, but I'm sure some people might be disappointed about that.

Piet
Posts: 699
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:31 am

Re: Yooka-Laylee's first anniversary!

Postby Piet » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:02 pm

ShanPen wrote:I still think they will release some sort of DLC...eventually.

But speaking of stretch goals, I saw someone in the comments section on the Yooka-Laylee Kickstarter page say that Grant Kirkhope apparently confirmed there was no longer going to be an orchestral soundtrack (which I'm not surprised about, as recording that would be so expensive, and I reckon they needed that money to help them fund all the extra effort required to get the Switch version of the game up and running). I'm happy with the music in the game as is, but I'm sure some people might be disappointed about that.

DLC was/is a (Kickstarter) promise, so they HAVE TO create it.
And I also saw that comment, but couldn't find any sources related to it... So I think he just made that up to start some online war.

But to be honest: They have to fulfill all their stretchgoals to stay trustworthy (nothing short of 100%).
Unfulfilled stretchgoals atm:
- N64 shader (+ credits rap)
- Developer walkthrough + commentary video
- Orchestral soundtrack
- DLC

I hope they come up with an announcement soon, 'cause their last one is from December...

Piet
Posts: 699
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:31 am

Re: Yooka-Laylee's first anniversary!

Postby Piet » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:26 pm


User avatar
Tek
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:08 am

Re: Yooka-Laylee's first anniversary!

Postby Tek » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:40 pm

Excellent news! Good to hear confirmation they're still working on Yooka Laylee DLC as well as what I can only assume might be a new project. I'll be looking forwards to when they start talking more about them. :D

User avatar
Scrubber
Posts: 1378
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:33 pm

Re: Yooka-Laylee's first anniversary!

Postby Scrubber » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:46 pm

"Soon we'll start talking more actively, both about extra content for Yooka-Laylee, plus… other stuff. Shhh!"

Playtonics "soon" has to be taken with a pinch of salt.

I forgot about some of those stretch goals. To be honest I couldn't care less about the orchestral score. The DLC and n64 mode on the other hand i was lookijg forward to.

So what could "plus other stuff" be? New game?

User avatar
Taylor
Posts: 1730
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:05 pm

Re: Yooka-Laylee's first anniversary!

Postby Taylor » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:20 pm

Piet wrote:DLC was/is a (Kickstarter) promise, so they HAVE TO create it.


Not true. There is literally no obligation, legal or otherwise, that says they have to fulfil all stretch goals. Now, if you're talking about maintaining their trustworthiness as a company, then you may have a point... But personally, I don't care much about the 'extras' and feel satisfied with the game they produced.

I would like the DLC though, simply because it means more of what I loved.

Scrubber wrote:"Soon we'll start talking more actively, both about extra content for Yooka-Laylee, plus… other stuff. Shhh!"

[...]

So what could "plus other stuff" be? New game?


I certainly got the impression of a new game, but it may be a whole host of other things to do with publishing/business etc.

I would love a new game, but I feel Playtonic really ought to deliver on Yooka-Laylee's DLC first, or else some people may feel a bit cheated. Compromise: as they never specified the DLC; make the DLC connected to the next game, like Stop 'N' Swop.
Taylonic Ltd.

Piet
Posts: 699
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:31 am

Re: Yooka-Laylee's first anniversary!

Postby Piet » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:33 am

Scrubber wrote:Playtonics "soon" has to be taken with a pinch of salt.

This.

Taylor wrote:Not true. There is literally no obligation, legal or otherwise, that says they have to fulfil all stretch goals. Now, if you're talking about maintaining their trustworthiness as a company, then you may have a point... But personally, I don't care much about the 'extras' and feel satisfied with the game they produced.
I would like the DLC though, simply because it means more of what I loved.

That’s why I stated: 'They have to fulfill all their stretchgoals (so, incl. DLC) to stay trustworthy' later in that same message.
I just can’t understand that you could still feel satisfied IF (I think they will keep their promises tho) a company (in this case: PTG) you trusted and invested money in, doesn’t keep their promises. That’s pretty naive, if you ask me. :)

All in all: Pretty exciting news (+ let's hope for a new game teaser/announcement)!

User avatar
Taylor
Posts: 1730
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:05 pm

Re: Yooka-Laylee's first anniversary!

Postby Taylor » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:57 am

Piet wrote:I just can’t understand that you could still feel satisfied IF (I think they will keep their promises tho) a company (in this case: PTG) you trusted and invested money in, doesn’t keep their promises. That’s pretty naive, if you ask me. :)


Primarily because the stretch goals had absolutely no impact on whether I did or didn't invest, nor did it affect the amount I backed with. I also understand that in a realistic world, not everything can go to plan, which was actually stated on the Yooka-Laylee Kickstarter page. The stretch goals were never promises.

I'm actually quite curious about how much of an effect the stretch goals had on the final total collected with Kickstarter. I would presume not very much, but of course I don't have the data.
Taylonic Ltd.

User avatar
bjaxx87
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:58 am

Re: Yooka-Laylee's first anniversary!

Postby bjaxx87 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:52 pm

ShanPen wrote:But speaking of stretch goals, I saw someone in the comments section on the Yooka-Laylee Kickstarter page say that Grant Kirkhope apparently confirmed there was no longer going to be an orchestral soundtrack (which I'm not surprised about, as recording that would be so expensive, and I reckon they needed that money to help them fund all the extra effort required to get the Switch version of the game up and running). I'm happy with the music in the game as is, but I'm sure some people might be disappointed about that.

Piet wrote:And I also saw that comment, but couldn't find any sources related to it... So I think he just made that up to start some online war.

Well, I found this.

But "no plans right now" doesn't mean "never". And according to Andy it was still on PT's to do list in September '17.

Also there was one person backing this:

5.000 £
(Approx $7,850 USD, €7,000 EUR)

VIP GUEST ATTENDANCE AT A LIVE ORCHESTRA CONCERT IN GERMANY!

Premium seating at a live orchestra concert in Germany featuring music by Playtonic composers David Wise and Grant Kirkhope, followed by dinner with the music duo and the Playtonic team! Plus ALL previous physical rewards!

(More info to follow. Travel not included.)


If that concert is still going to happen and will be open to regular attendees, they could fund the orchestrated OST by selling tickets. (I know I would buy two. :D)

User avatar
Tek
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:08 am

Re: Yooka-Laylee's first anniversary!

Postby Tek » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:26 pm

Thanks for posting that twitter link. I had seen Grants tweet way back then, but I had not noticed Andy's subsequent tweet. Perhaps that means it's still a possibility someday, perhaps not.

User avatar
Omega
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:59 am
Location: Argentina, Buenos Aires
Contact:

Re: Yooka-Laylee's first anniversary!

Postby Omega » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:34 am

Wow 1 year old alredy! I LOVE this game so much. Excited for Playtonic s future. Im glad the DLC is coming, I was worried about that

Piet
Posts: 699
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:31 am

Re: Yooka-Laylee's first anniversary!

Postby Piet » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:07 am

Taylor wrote:Primarily because the stretch goals had absolutely no impact on whether I did or didn't invest, nor did it affect the amount I backed with. I also understand that in a realistic world, not everything can go to plan, which was actually stated on the Yooka-Laylee Kickstarter page. The stretch goals were never promises.

I'm actually quite curious about how much of an effect the stretch goals had on the final total collected with Kickstarter. I would presume not very much, but of course I don't have the data.

But the stretchgoals DID have impact on other people's investments and pledge amounts, like mine. It's not just about one backer, but about the whole backergroup.
If they say they will add more stuff IF they get more money and they do get said money (they did), they have to deliver. Deceiving (that's what it is, IF they don't deliver) you project's backers is never a good idea. :)
The 4 stretchgoals that aren't fulfilled yet, are the ones with the highest pledge amounts. :roll:

Let's just hope they deliver, 'cause as we all know: This campaign hasn't been a smooth ride.
Let's all hope for the best (al least, I'm happy with PTG's latest update/announcement)! :D

User avatar
rocho
Posts: 358
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:36 pm

Re: Yooka-Laylee's first anniversary!

Postby rocho » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:36 pm

ShanPen wrote:I still think they will release some sort of DLC...eventually.

But speaking of stretch goals, I saw someone in the comments section on the Yooka-Laylee Kickstarter page say that Grant Kirkhope apparently confirmed there was no longer going to be an orchestral soundtrack (which I'm not surprised about, as recording that would be so expensive, and I reckon they needed that money to help them fund all the extra effort required to get the Switch version of the game up and running). I'm happy with the music in the game as is, but I'm sure some people might be disappointed about that.



Well this is what The Man itself Grant Kirkhope said when I asked him about it:

Image

User avatar
Alph
Posts: 191
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:54 pm

Re: Yooka-Laylee's first anniversary!

Postby Alph » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:18 pm

Didn't most people bitch and moan about the idea of Y-L having an orchestral soundtrack? I remember Grant being really excited about it and then being shocked by the negative reaction. Doesn't seem like Playtonic can win no matter what they do.

User avatar
ShanPen
Posts: 251
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:16 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Yooka-Laylee's first anniversary!

Postby ShanPen » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:46 pm

Alph wrote:Didn't most people bitch and moan about the idea of Y-L having an orchestral soundtrack? I remember Grant being really excited about it and then being shocked by the negative reaction. Doesn't seem like Playtonic can win no matter what they do.


I remember a lot of people bitching and moaning about DLC when that stretch goal was first announced.

Piet
Posts: 699
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:31 am

Re: Yooka-Laylee's first anniversary!

Postby Piet » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:53 pm

Alph wrote:Didn't most people bitch and moan about the idea of Y-L having an orchestral soundtrack? I remember Grant being really excited about it and then being shocked by the negative reaction. Doesn't seem like Playtonic can win no matter what they do.

If they create an orchestral soundtrack with an option to pick whichever soundtrack you like, there should be no problem at all. Fact is that it is a stretchgoal backers pledged for. PTG 'wins' when they fulfill every Kickstarter stretchgoal. It's simple as that. ;)

User avatar
Taylor
Posts: 1730
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:05 pm

Re: Yooka-Laylee's first anniversary!

Postby Taylor » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:01 pm

Piet wrote:
Taylor wrote:Primarily because the stretch goals had absolutely no impact on whether I did or didn't invest, nor did it affect the amount I backed with. I also understand that in a realistic world, not everything can go to plan, which was actually stated on the Yooka-Laylee Kickstarter page. The stretch goals were never promises.

I'm actually quite curious about how much of an effect the stretch goals had on the final total collected with Kickstarter. I would presume not very much, but of course I don't have the data.

But the stretchgoals DID have impact on other people's investments and pledge amounts, like mine.
If they say they will add more stuff IF they get more money and they do get said money (they did), they have to deliver. Deceiving (that's what it is, IF they don't deliver) you project's backers is never a good idea. :)
The 4 stretchgoals that aren't fulfilled yet, are the ones with the highest pledge amounts. :roll:


May 2nd, 2015: (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1082&p=10792#p10792)
Piet wrote:I pledged 70!
Don't care for the t-shirt, but I want everything physical (ex. the N64 thingy) & digital (for my Wii U).

Maaaannnnn, I can' wait! :D


May 3rd, 2015, Playtonic add higher stretch goals: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pl ... ts/1219224

It's quite funny that you were able to predict the future, making the stretch goals affect your pledge amount before they were even part of the Kickstarter, hey? :roll:

You just come across as extremely entitled. Get realistic -- if they fulfil every stretch goal, awesome. If not, there would be a practical reason why they couldn't. If you want to abandon Playtonic in that scenario, go ahead, nobody is stopping you.
Taylonic Ltd.


Return to “Yooka-Laylee”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

cron