How many Kickstarter milestones are there left for Playtonic Games to complete?

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
John Enigma

How many Kickstarter milestones are there left for Playtonic Games to complete?

Postby John Enigma » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:23 pm

You know, like the 64-Bit Tonic, and whatnot?

Does anybody remember the Kickstarter milestone promises, and if Playtonic has finished any of them?
"INSERT TO F***ING BOX!"

Piet

Re: How many Kickstarter milestones are there left for Playtonic Games to complete?

Postby Piet » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:25 am

Goals not met yet:
- N64 shader (which is a Tonic)
- Developer walkthrough
- Orchestral score
- DLC (free for backers)

(Am I forgetting something?)

ShanPen

Re: How many Kickstarter milestones are there left for Playtonic Games to complete?

Postby ShanPen » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:11 pm

Piet wrote:Goals not met yet:
- Developer walkthrough
- Orchestral score
- DLC (free for backers)

Wasn't there something about adding extra language translation options (or maybe that already happened)?

Also I thought someone on these boards mentioned that Playtonic said the orchestral score wasn't happening anymore.

Piet

Postby Piet » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:30 pm

ShanPen wrote:
- Developer walkthrough
- Orchestral score
- DLC (free for backers)

Wasn't there something about adding extra language translation options (or maybe that already happened)?

Also I thought someone on these boards mentioned that Playtonic said the orchestral score wasn't happening anymore.

Hmmm, I looked it up and I think you mean:
'Professional French, German, Spanish & Italian translations! Plus extra languages voted by backers'.
Tbh, I don't know if that is implemented yet (I didn't see a poll for backers or anything).

+ There were some disturbing Twitter posts about the orchestral score, but nothing was announced officially (I think)...

Tek

Postby Tek » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:28 pm

In addition to the initial list of languages mentioned, Yooka Laylee had translations added for Korean, Chinese, and Japanese starting back in December 2017.

https://twitter.com/PlaytonicGames/stat ... 4999504896

EekumBokum202

Postby EekumBokum202 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:50 pm

- Developer walkthrough
- Orchestral score
- DLC (free for backers)

I'm curious to see what the developer walkthrough will look like, and if they'll comment on the reception to the game. I'm legitimately curious about what went into the design of the game and how they went about setting up these worlds, moves, puzzles, etc.
...A Man can dream... Project Dream, that is.

LancerEagle

Postby LancerEagle » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:12 am

Piet wrote:
ShanPen wrote:
- Developer walkthrough
- Orchestral score
- DLC (free for backers)

Hmmm, I looked it up and I think you mean:
'Professional French, German, Spanish & Italian translations! Plus extra languages voted by backers'.
Tbh, I don't know if that is implemented yet (I didn't see a poll for backers or anything).

+ There were some disturbing Twitter posts about the orchestral score, but nothing was announced officially (I think)...

The tweet in question was from Grant Kirkhope himself, who would presumably know if anyone does, and additionally Kickstarter update #63 specifically mentions the 64-bit tonic, developer commentary, and DLC but goes out of its way not to mention the orchestral score. I know neither of those things are technically an announcement of cancellation but I'm not holding out a lot of hope for it. (And if I had to pick one of the stretch goals to lose, I'd go orchestra over DLC, the other potentially costly goal, every time.)

Piet

Postby Piet » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:08 pm

...Crickets... Crickets everywhere...
(I Tweeted PTG...)

bjaxx87

Postby bjaxx87 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:13 am

- Developer walkthrough
- Orchestral score
- DLC (free for backers)

There's one more thing:
"Goin' old-skool! N64 shader mode plus a credits "GK Rap + Video" written by Grant Kirkhope"

The video is available on Youtube, but I'm still waiting for them to add it to the credits or at least into the game.

Piet wrote:There were some disturbing Twitter posts about the orchestral score, but nothing was announced officially (I think)...

LancerEagle wrote:The tweet in question was from Grant Kirkhope himself, who would presumably know if anyone does, and additionally Kickstarter update #63 specifically mentions the 64-bit tonic, developer commentary, and DLC but goes out of its way not to mention the orchestral score. I know neither of those things are technically an announcement of cancellation but I'm not holding out a lot of hope for it. (And if I had to pick one of the stretch goals to lose, I'd go orchestra over DLC, the other potentially costly goal, every time.)

This is the tweet.

But "no plans right now" doesn't mean "never". And according to Andy it was still on PT's to do list in September '17.

Also there was one person backing this:

5.000 £
(Approx $7,850 USD, €7,000 EUR)

VIP GUEST ATTENDANCE AT A LIVE ORCHESTRA CONCERT IN GERMANY!

Premium seating at a live orchestra concert in Germany featuring music by Playtonic composers David Wise and Grant Kirkhope, followed by dinner with the music duo and the Playtonic team! Plus ALL previous physical rewards!

(More info to follow. Travel not included.)

If that concert is still going to happen and will be open to regular attendees, they could fund the orchestrated OST by selling tickets. (I know I would buy two. :D)

Piet

Postby Piet » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:32 am

O, indeed. The in-game credits rap... Another goal to fulfill.

+ The concert... Did anyone ever hear anything about it, after the KS..?

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:25 pm

Sorry but it's been too long now. If they are still working on small Kickstarter goals now then something is seriously wrong. It's taken as much time to create some extra content as it did to create the game in the first place. I hope they are working on something else I am done with yookalaylee.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:34 am

Scrubber wrote:Sorry but it's been too long now. If they are still working on small Kickstarter goals now then something is seriously wrong. It's taken as much time to create some extra content as it did to create the game in the first place. I hope they are working on something else I am done with yookalaylee.

Yes that exactly. They should rather work on new ideas and concepts.

EekumBokum202

Postby EekumBokum202 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:02 pm

Scrubber wrote:Sorry but it's been too long now. If they are still working on small Kickstarter goals now then something is seriously wrong. It's taken as much time to create some extra content as it did to create the game in the first place. I hope they are working on something else I am done with yookalaylee.

Well that's a bit rude. Have you ever done or organized any of this? It's taken Yacht Club Games until... well, probably until next year to follow through on all of their Kickstarter promises, and there's clearly a lot of work and detail that goes into these kinds of things. Besides, just because you're done with Yooka-Laylee doesn't mean everyone should be, especially since they promised something and fully intend to follow through on it until something truly extraneous gets int the way (i.e. cancelling the Wii U version and moving to the Switch).

Piet

Postby Piet » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:07 pm

EekumBokum202 wrote:

Well that's a bit rude. Have you ever done or organized any of this? It's taken Yacht Club Games until... well, probably until next year to follow through on all of their Kickstarter promises, and there's clearly a lot of work and detail that goes into these kinds of things. Besides, just because you're done with Yooka-Laylee doesn't mean everyone should be, especially since they promised something and fully intend to follow through on it until something truly extraneous gets int the way (i.e. cancelling the Wii U version and moving to the Switch).

I get what you mean, but c’mon... Their communication towards their fanbase is terrible + we haven’t gotten an update in ages.

Not quite an ideal situation, if you ask me...

EekumBokum202

Postby EekumBokum202 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:36 pm

Piet wrote:
EekumBokum202 wrote: ever done or organized any of this? It's taken Yacht Club Games until... well, probably until next year to follow through on all of their Kickstarter promises, and there's clearly a lot of work and detail that goes into these kinds of things. Besides, just because you're done with Yooka-Laylee doesn't mean everyone should be, especially since they promised something and fully intend to follow through on it until something truly extraneous gets int the way (i.e. cancelling the Wii U version and moving to the Switch).

I get what you mean, but c’mon... Their communication towards their fanbase is terrible + we haven’t gotten an update in ages.

Nothing about Playtonic's situation has been ideal, they've been dealing with a lot of blow-back since the removal of JonTron from the game, and things only got worse from there. They can't address every single criticism that comes their way, not to mention their hands are probably tied for one reason or another.

Forgive me if I'm more inclined to be sympathetic to them after all the crap fans have been tossing at them.

Piet

Postby Piet » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:02 pm

EekumBokum202 wrote:
Piet wrote:
EekumBokum202 wrote: ever done or organized any of this? It's taken Yacht Club Games until... well, probably until next year to follow through on all of their Kickstarter promises, and there's clearly a lot of work and detail that goes into these kinds of things. Besides, just because you're done with Yooka-Laylee doesn't mean everyone should be, especially since they promised something and fully intend to follow through on it until something truly extraneous gets int the way (i.e. cancelling the Wii U version and moving to the Switch).

Nothing about Playtonic's situation has been ideal, they've been dealing with a lot of blow-back since the removal of JonTron from the game, and things only got worse from there. They can't address every single criticism that comes their way, not to mention their hands are probably tied for one reason or another.

Forgive me if I'm more inclined to be sympathetic to them after all the crap fans have been tossing at them.

- 'blow-back since the removal of JonTron from the game' --> That was their own choice...
- 'They can't address every single criticism that comes their way' --> The problem is that they aren't addressing anything atm...
- 'their hands are probably tied for one reason or another.' --> 'Probably'... This is something you're making up. We can't know, 'cause we don't get any updates/news.

- 'Forgive me if I'm more inclined to be sympathetic to them after all the crap fans have been tossing at them.' --> There's always 2 sides to a story (and problems) and we're dying to know PTG's side! ;)

ShanPen

Postby ShanPen » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:01 pm

Playtonic said today in a comment on their latest Facebook post as well as a reply to a message on Twitter that they'll have an update about the DLC "soon" (yes I know, our favourite word).

Considering from what I've read about Limited Run Games's policy of not producing game carts until all updates and DLC are complete so the game is preserved in physical form, my guess is that the update will be telling us that the DLC is finished (or soon to be finished) so that Limited Run Games can start producing the Switch carts. And that's probably why Playtonic have been so quiet, because they always go really quiet before dropping a big update (like this time last year when they were silent about Switch version progress and we were all speculating that we wouldn't get the game until sometime in 2018, and then out of the blue we got an update saying it was finished and due to be released in December 2017).

Piet

Postby Piet » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:11 am

ShanPen wrote:Playtonic said today in a comment on their latest Facebook post as well as a reply to a message on Twitter that they'll have an update about the DLC "soon" (yes I know, our favourite word).

Considering from what I've read about Limited Run Games's policy of not producing game carts until all updates and DLC are complete so the game is preserved in physical form, my guess is that the update will be telling us that the DLC is finished (or soon to be finished) so that Limited Run Games can start producing the Switch carts. And that's probably why Playtonic have been so quiet, because they always go really quiet before dropping a big update (like this time last year when they were silent about Switch version progress and we were all speculating that we wouldn't get the game until sometime in 2018, and then out of the blue we got an update saying it was finished and due to be released in December 2017).

That word has a different meaning (to me) since YL's announcement in 2015.. :roll:
Let's hope you're right tho..!

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:00 pm

I would have at least expected that the developer commentary had been released by now, be it on Playtonic's YouTube channel or a patch adding commentary nodes you can interact with into Yooka-Laylee - which would play a short audio message explaining the design process that went behind a puzzle/challenge, environment hazard, NPC, boss battle, etc. But no, still nothing...

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:13 pm

I saw the "soon" comment earlier and I just rolled my eyes :roll:

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”