Spin-off graphic novel revealed!

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Operationgamer17

Spin-off graphic novel revealed!

Postby Operationgamer17 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:08 pm

EekumBokum202

Re: Spin-off graphic novel revealed!

Postby EekumBokum202 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:15 pm

Kickstarter, huh? ...Eh, I'll try not to be cynical about this, but it's a shame that they couldn't use the funds from game sales to support this.

Also, it's weird that Laylee looks more feminine here when in-game, there's nothing distinguishly masculine or feminine about either Yooka or Laylee respectively, to the point of wondering why even assign them their specific genders at all.
...A Man can dream... Project Dream, that is.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:58 pm

I'm glad Playtonic aren't running this Kickstarter themselves and even more glad that they aren't spending their profits on this. It seems interesting and I would read it if it were ever published, but I have doubts as to whether this campaign will be funded. Is the demand for a 'graphic novel' there? Does that demand equal $40k? It won't come from my pocket.

Edit: okay, $40 did come from my pocket. I was won over by the Kickstarter!
Taylonic Ltd.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:16 pm

Not even slightly Interested.

DMCumbo

Postby DMCumbo » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:01 pm

Hi Folks! I'm Dave from Dreamprism, the creator of this graphic novel. I've noticed some concerns about the project and thought I'd jump onto the forums to see if I can address any directly or if I can answer questions. It's really important to me as a huge Yooka-Laylee and classic Rareware fan that the biggest Yooka fans find the book interesting -- if not, I know I have some work to do. Regardless, thanks for taking the time to discuss the book.

ShanPen

Postby ShanPen » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:44 am

I'm definitely not interested either because it's not by Playtonic who are the ones who know what their characters are supposed to be like and what their personalities are. I consider this comic to just be fanfiction, and I don't like fanfiction for any fandom.
Plus I don't like how Laylee has been made to look too feminine, as that doesn't fit with her character and personality.

Operationgamer17

Postby Operationgamer17 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:15 pm

Kickstarter’s up. Already at $13K.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dr ... acklestone

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:01 am

Operationgamer17 wrote:Kickstarter’s up. Already at $13K.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dr ... acklestone

That's actually great to see -- maybe I underestimated the demand. I wish the campaign all the luck in the world and if it gets funded I'll be sure to check it out after publication.
Taylonic Ltd.

WyvernWings

Postby WyvernWings » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:30 am

You know I might throw some money at this simply because how adorable Laylee is! :lol:

bjaxx87

Postby bjaxx87 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:44 am

The art style is a little too overly cutified for my taste, I would've preferred one closer to the game. But from what I've read on the campaign page I think Dave pretty much nailed the characters and their quirks, so this could be a fun read! (There are even some potshots at Rextro and his infamous arcade games)

Since he has the blessing of Playtonic I don't consider it fan fiction, I don't think they would approve it if he completely derailed from the source material. Just look at something like Batman comics, there have been a gazillion different writers since Bob Kane but (even though they heavily differ in quality) no one would consider them fan fiction as long as DC approves them.

I enjoy both comics and Yooka-Laylee, so... I might give this a shot!

Piet

Postby Piet » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:04 am

bjaxx87 wrote:The art style is a little too overly cutified for my taste, I would've preferred one closer to the game. But from what I've read on the campaign page I think Dave pretty much nailed the characters and their quirks, so this could be a fun read! (There are even some potshots at Rextro and his infamous arcade games)

Since he has the blessing of Playtonic I don't consider it fan fiction, I don't think they would approve it if he completely derailed from the source material. Just look at something like Batman comics, there have been a gazillion different writers since Bob Kane but (even though they heavily differ in quality) no one would consider them fan fiction as long as DC approves them.

I enjoy both comics and Yooka-Laylee, so... I might give this a shot!

It's just a new adventure (with a different look), but this time on paper. :P
But I agree: As long as PTG approves this, it's official. At least, that's my take on it.

ShanPen

Postby ShanPen » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:04 am

bjaxx87 wrote:
Since he has the blessing of Playtonic I don't consider it fan fiction, I don't think they would approve it if he completely derailed from the source material.

To me, if staff from Playtonic had written it and he'd just illustrated it, that would have been alright, but not if it's written by a fan. Same as how I don't consider that play "Harry Potter and the Cursed Child" to be a proper Harry Potter story, because J.K. Rowling didn't write it, and even though she gave her approval (same as Playtonic giving this comic the approval), to me it is still fanfiction because the original creator/s of the characters didn't write it.

Gorjo

Postby Gorjo » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:25 pm

It's great to see the series branch out like this, and I like what I'm seeing so far (even if I too find it odd that Laylee isn't more "ugly-cute") so I'm looking forward to this comic.

Regarding the discussion above, if Playtonic approved it, then it's official, there is simply no way arround it. The term people who aren't interested in the comic or in that Harry Potter play should be using instead is "non canon" (I'm NOT implying the comic will be like that play, of course, the comic looks good).
Like with any franchise's suplemental material, people don't have to like the comic and can ignore it but disregarding it as fanfiction is harmful for Playtonic and YL because it goes against their plan, like calling merchandise "fan art" or ports "fan games".

O O O O H H
B A N A N A

EekumBokum202

Postby EekumBokum202 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:14 pm

DMCumbo wrote:Hi Folks! I'm Dave from Dreamprism, the creator of this graphic novel. I've noticed some concerns about the project and thought I'd jump onto the forums to see if I can address any directly or if I can answer questions. It's really important to me as a huge Yooka-Laylee and classic Rareware fan that the biggest Yooka fans find the book interesting -- if not, I know I have some work to do. Regardless, thanks for taking the time to discuss the book.

I wonder how many people noticed that the author of the comic posted here, a lot of people seemed pretty blunt with their opinions on this Kickstarter. Personally, I think it's cool, though I'm incredibly cynical about the whole thing, if only because the situation with Playtonic is completely cynical as of late.
...A Man can dream... Project Dream, that is.

ShanPen

Postby ShanPen » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:13 pm

Gorjo wrote:Like with any franchise's suplemental material, people don't have to like the comic and can ignore it but disregarding it as fanfiction is harmful for Playtonic and YL because it goes against their plan, like calling merchandise "fan art" or ports "fan games".

Disagree. Fan made merchandise (such as t-shirts and keyrings) doesn't interfere with the characters and story/universe of the game, it's just extra stuff for people to buy (and I'd still consider it "fan art", but that's not meant as an insult in any way, it's just a description because it is art made by a fan that has been given permission to be sold by Playtonic). I don't know what you mean by "ports" unless you mean the original game being ported to Switch for example, and again that doesn't interfere with the characters and the universe, because it's just the same game on a different platform, and it was Playtonic who decided to port the game.

The comic is literally fiction written by a fan (with Playtonic's permission) so I don't see what the issue is with considering it "fanfiction", and I don't think calling it that and/or ignoring the comic harms Playtonic in any way, because this comic is to help give their characters more exposure to a potential different audience who read comics, which might lead people who haven't already played "Yooka-Laylee" to buying the game (and maybe that it also gives people something else to focus on for a while instead of nagging Playtonic about the DLC), but if current fans of the game ignore the comic or consider it fanfiction, it's not like Playtonic have lost out on exposure because that fan is already a fan of the game/the company. Plus if it was supposed to be such a huge part of their plan, they would have created it themselves, but like with the person who made the Yooka-Laylee socks, it seems like they've had a fan contact them with an idea that helps Playtonic get more exposure, and they've gone "Looks good, we give you permission to go ahead with that" while they continue their work making games. I wish Playtonic would have done or created something themselves to give their characters/universe some more exposure (and now that they have the new communications manager, they might get better at that), rather than having fans do it for them, because even the most devoted fan doesn't know the characters and universe as well as the people who actually created those characters/universe do.

So if others are excited for the comic, that's lucky for them and I'm not intentionally trying to rain on their parade, but for those of us here who have said we're not interested, I don't think we are "harming Playtonic" even if we completely ignore the comic (especially as we're not doing anything to actively discourage others from supporting the comic, all people here did was say we're not interested, and I gave a reason to back up why I personally wasn't interested), because we are already fans of Playtonic's work and eagerly await more of Playtonic's work in the form of the DLC or new games.

Gorjo

Postby Gorjo » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:41 pm

DMCumbo wrote:Hi Folks! I'm Dave from Dreamprism, the creator of this graphic novel. I've noticed some concerns about the project and thought I'd jump onto the forums to see if I can address any directly or if I can answer questions. It's really important to me as a huge Yooka-Laylee and classic Rareware fan that the biggest Yooka fans find the book interesting -- if not, I know I have some work to do. Regardless, thanks for taking the time to discuss the book.

Thanks for reaching out! I was wondering, wich world from the game was your favorite? Will the comic feature an original world or are those places in the map part of Tribalstack Tropics?

O O O O H H
B A N A N A

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:54 pm

If this were a Banjo-Kazooie/Conker graphic novel I would have gladly backed it in an instant, but since it isn't, I'll pass. Lovely art style though.

Operationgamer17

Postby Operationgamer17 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:33 pm

Kickstarter’s now at $23K.

DMCumbo

Postby DMCumbo » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:51 am

Hi Folks:

Sorry I'm late to the discussion. Just to offer some quick feedback. I've heard a lot of positive responses to the art but also some concerns (mainly over Laylee's design). I'm planning to do my best in the time I have (provided the campaign is funded) to address them. Of course, I'll struggle a bit with this due to deadlines and being somewhat locked into what I'm capable of making as an artist. Naturally every work will have a slightly different look!

Several people have pointed out concerns over this being official or not. I understand this concern more than you know. In that regard, I guess I would call it a project made with Playtonic's blessing. If it makes people feel better, this is no quick "cash-in." I've already dedicated two years of full-time effort to making this a really special book. I did this because it was critical to avoid asking for financial support until I knew precisely how much time was needed. I completely understand the concerns about this being produced by someone outside the studio. That said, take heart in knowing the Playtonic carefully reviewed it every step of the way and offered feedback where necessary (but not in a manner that distracted them from game development).

As for my own experience, and for what it's worth, I was the story artist for cinematic development at Insomniac Games for about seven years before I branched off into graphic novels. I worked on five Ratchet and Clank titles, Sunset Overdrive, Resistance 2 and 3, and a number of other titles for other studios such as WayForward.

I'm taking this project very seriously and want it to feel like a game in itself. It has a distinct world with over eight unique regions that are all brand new... in addition to a section with Hivory Towers and Shipwreck Creek. I completely understand folks not wanting to give it a shot and your direct feedback is really important to me. I just hope I can make something people will enjoy!

DMCumbo

Postby DMCumbo » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:20 am

Gorjo wrote:Thanks for reaching out! I was wondering, wich world from the game was your favorite? Will the comic feature an original world or are those places in the map part of Tribalstack Tropics?

Ah, definitely Galleon Galaxy! It reminded me sooo much of the space world in Diddy Kong Racing with its magical toy-like spacey vibe. I played every moment of that level with a big smile. (even the golf game which I thought was a blast)

The comic has eight different "levels" within one giant tome world. All of them are new. You can check out Trowzer's map on the Kickstarter campaign page: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dreamprismpress/yooka-laylee-and-the-kracklestone

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”