Lead Community Manager reporting in

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Daley_Kong
Site Admin

Lead Community Manager reporting in

Postby Daley_Kong » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:46 pm

Greetings, Playtonic forum goers!

Last week I joined Playtonic Games as Lead Community Manager. There's a few things I want to go over in this post so I will break it down into sections for easy digestion.

Who are you?

I'm Daley, 29, Kong by (internet) name and Kong by nature. Like many of you, I'm a long-time fan of much of the work the folks at Playtonic have contributed to. Massive Donkey Kong Country fan above all. Before I landed at Playtonic I worked at Rare for a year and a bit, before that I worked with an Indie studio called Coatsink for 3 years. I launched Sea of Thieves and weathered massive internet poo-storms, so I'm pretty tough, would not recommend a 1v1.

What will you be doing at Playtonic?

Anything and everything fan-facing. I'm currently managing all social media platforms for Playtonic, creating plans for announcements and all that comes with that. I have to spend a lot of time reading through what Playtonic fans are saying. I make it my business to tune into you as best I can as I've been hired to look out for your interests. I'm here to make things fun and fair, as well as keep lines of communication open with you. I dabble in some play-testing too and I am being showed the ropes in Unity. I'll be very hands-on, more-so than I ever have been as a Community Manager! Playtonic has been really cool about my input.

What is going to happen to the forums?

The reason I have held back on posting here is that I wanted to come to a decision about this one properly. I'm aware that these forums have been quite devoid of any Playtonic influence for a very long time, and this has led to frustrations and feelings of abandonment.

I wanted to make sure that if I were to open up communication here, that I could keep at it, not just make a post like this and then vanish. I figured I had 2 options. I could come here and be active or I could delete the Forums altogether. It's when I dug into the administration logs and saw that this forum still has active moderators that I decided I would absolutely not close down the forums. Something about the fact gave me a little pang in my chest heh.

To explain my thinking behind deletion a little - I thought about this because these forums are on our website and are totally public. I wouldn't feel comfortable as a Community Manager just leaving them here unmoderated, they could turn into any kind of place. Plus, I didn't want it to become a well of despair, a place where fans came feeling ignored and not acknowledged. It seems however, that your mods kept things in check and not totally off the wall.

Anyway... So my plans for the forums going ahead are as follows:

[*]Create announcement Mega Threads (When we have something to announce)
[*]Create Feedback Mega Threads
[*]Delete stuff that doesn't belong here
[*]Check that things aren't on fire daily
[*]Respond here and there, reassure you that I haven't ran away.

NEW RULES

You knew these were coming, didn't you? I've had a look over things and so far, I've not seen anything that has made me pull the ban-hammer out.

Honestly, just don't be deliberately argumentative, don't say things that would see you banned from Club Penguin, and you'll do fine here. I'm likely to dish out warnings before a ban, but after that you are on your own.

I think I have covered just about everything. I hope you enjoy having me here and I'm looking forward to getting to know you.

Daley Kong 8-)

Side note: I can't at present share any details with you about what Playtonic are upto, and I am fully expecting people to ask me in this very thread. I'll share things with you as soon as I can and am very excited to do so.

Taylor

Re: Lead Community Manager reporting in

Postby Taylor » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:02 pm

Awesome! All sounda great and it's so nice to have you on board. :)

The forums are quiet, I do way more lurking than I do posting, but I think it's beneficial to have an official base. Things inevitably pick up and slow down depending on developer updates; it's nice to have somewhere to go when new things are announced.

As for moderating, I am so used to checking the forums every day via a shortcut on my phone -- it's no stress at all, and is in fact a privilege!

Now, get on the dev's backs about those updates! ;)
Taylonic Ltd.

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:26 pm

So the forums might have been deleted if there were no active moderators here keeping things in check. Ah well, there's always Reddit for some quality reading time.

KremlingKuthroat19

Postby KremlingKuthroat19 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:19 pm

Welcome Daley. Always a pleasure to introduce new team members, especially Rare alum. I'm glad that Playtonic's going to more actively post threads themselves bc this forum has basically been kept alive by the community over the last year. Can't wait to see what Playtonic's cooking in the near future :).

Daley_Kong
Site Admin

Postby Daley_Kong » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:02 pm

Xellos wrote:So the forums might have been deleted if there were no active moderators here keeping things in check. Ah well, there's always Reddit for some quality reading time.

Not necessarily, it was just a factor that made me immediately dismiss the idea of deletion. :)

Daley_Kong
Site Admin

Postby Daley_Kong » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:03 pm

KremlingKuthroat19 wrote:Welcome Daley. Always a pleasure to introduce new team members, especially Rare alum. I'm glad that Playtonic's going to more actively post threads themselves bc this forum has basically been kept alive by the community over the last year. Can't wait to see what Playtonic's cooking in the near future :).

Nice to meet you. We're certainly cooking!

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:58 pm

Daley_Kong wrote:
Xellos wrote:So the forums might have been deleted if there were no active moderators here keeping things in check. Ah well, there's always Reddit for some quality reading time.

Not necessarily, it was just a factor that made me immediately dismiss the idea of deletion. :)

Yeah, I know, which is why I said 'might' and not 'would' implying you could have decided to moderate this forum yourself, instead of taking the easy route by nuking it and be done with it. Welcome aboard, though. ;)

ShanPen

Postby ShanPen » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:25 pm

Welcome, and congratulations on the new job. :)

You're already been wonderful, as we've had more communication from Playtonic since you've started than what we had over a year or so before then.

Also I'm really glad you decided not to delete this forum, as I love coming here (I usually check in daily, even when it is really quiet!) to discuss Yooka-Laylee related stuff with the really dedicated fans who have stuck with the game/Playtonic through all the good and bad times.

wacky ducky

Postby wacky ducky » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:13 pm

Daley_Kong wrote:
KremlingKuthroat19 wrote:Welcome Daley. Always a pleasure to introduce new team members, especially Rare alum. I'm glad that Playtonic's going to more actively post threads themselves bc this forum has basically been kept alive by the community over the last year. Can't wait to see what Playtonic's cooking in the near future :).

Nice to meet you. We're certainly cooking!

And then it turns out Playtonic spent an entire year making a lasagne

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”