Speculation: New Yooka-Laylee game reveal this week?

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
User avatar
Scrubber
Posts: 1472
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:33 pm

Speculation: New Yooka-Laylee game reveal this week?

Postby Scrubber » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:03 pm

Team 17 are announcing 2 brand new games this week and posted a small photo with cryptic clues. The "17" has honeycombs in it which leads many of us to believe one of their announcements will be Yooka-Laylee 2.

What do you think it will be? What game do you want it to be?

User avatar
Taylor
Posts: 1768
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:05 pm
Location: Forum Moderator

Re: Speculation: New Yooka-Laylee game reveal this week?

Postby Taylor » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:01 am

Playtonic has been tweeting about bees recently, and then these honey combs show up on the Team17 logo alongside references to a new game...

And notice the subtle use of yellow Switch controllers in the photo for the competition held last week. Why not green/purple? Yellow controllers are quite unusual (I didn't even know the Switch had yellow controllers until now) -- this is an intentional artistic choice, perhaps foreshadowing something...

Image

We've known from the very beginning that Playtonic set out to create a "Playtonic universe", where every character can star in their own game. I think the yellow controllers may be metaphorical, alluding to the fact that Capital B is going to become controllable...

Without jumping to conclusions, circumstantial evidence is accumulating to suggest a game starring Capital B as the main playable character.
Taylonic Ltd.

User avatar
ShanPen
Posts: 353
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:16 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Speculation: New Yooka-Laylee game reveal this week?

Postby ShanPen » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:51 am

Taylor wrote:Without jumping to conclusions, circumstantial evidence is accumulating to suggest a game starring Capital B as the main playable character.


Didn’t Capital B say at the end of the game “I was only following orders!”? So maybe Yooka and Laylee have to team up with Capital B to defeat an even bigger threat.

User avatar
Taylor
Posts: 1768
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:05 pm
Location: Forum Moderator

Re: Speculation: New Yooka-Laylee game reveal this week?

Postby Taylor » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:31 am

ShanPen wrote:
Taylor wrote:Without jumping to conclusions, circumstantial evidence is accumulating to suggest a game starring Capital B as the main playable character.


Didn’t Capital B say at the end of the game “I was only following orders!”? So maybe Yooka and Laylee have to team up with Capital B to defeat an even bigger threat.


I was just talking about this in the Yooka Discord. The end of the game seemed to imply Capital B was essentially a minor villain, disgraced from the main villain assembly, V.I.L.E. The mystery surrounding V.I.L.E was a cliffhanger -- who are they? This is why I am surprised to see all the recent bee references... I thought Capital B would not be returning in the second game at all, at least not in the same role.
Taylonic Ltd.

User avatar
Scrubber
Posts: 1472
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:33 pm

Re: Speculation: New Yooka-Laylee game reveal this week?

Postby Scrubber » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:37 am

Taylor wrote:Playtonic has been tweeting about bees recently, and then these honey combs show up on the Team17 logo alongside references to a new game...

And notice the subtle use of yellow Switch controllers in the photo for the competition held last week. Why not green/purple? Yellow controllers are quite unusual (I didn't even know the Switch had yellow controllers until now) -- this is an intentional artistic choice, perhaps foreshadowing something...

Image

We've known from the very beginning that Playtonic set out to create a "Playtonic universe", where every character can star in their own game. I think the yellow controllers may be metaphorical, alluding to the fact that Capital B is going to become controllable...

Without jumping to conclusions, circumstantial evidence is accumulating to suggest a game starring Capital B as the main playable character.

At first I thought "definitely not" but now I'm not so sure. Maybe you are right. If you are right those subtle hints were very well observed.

Piet
Posts: 797
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:31 am

Re: Speculation: New Yooka-Laylee game reveal this week?

Postby Piet » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:33 am

So... We will know if we get a YL2 this week?
Mark me excited!!

User avatar
ShanPen
Posts: 353
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:16 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Speculation: New Yooka-Laylee game reveal this week?

Postby ShanPen » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:20 am

Taylor wrote:I was just talking about this in the Yooka Discord. The end of the game seemed to imply Capital B was essentially a minor villain, disgraced from the main villain assembly, V.I.L.E. The mystery surrounding V.I.L.E was a cliffhanger -- who are they? This is why I am surprised to see all the recent bee references... I thought Capital B would not be returning in the second game at all, at least not in the same role.


I wouldn’t be surprised if Schell is somehow involved, because I got a sort of untrustworthy vibe from her, especially how she used Yooka and Laylee to do her dirty work for her by blowing up that Blamphibian planet... I’m calling her “Shifty Schell” because she seems a bit shady.
(Is it worth making a new topic to speculate on who V.I.L.E. are and what they might be up to?).

User avatar
Scrubber
Posts: 1472
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:33 pm

Re: Speculation: New Yooka-Laylee game reveal this week?

Postby Scrubber » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:20 pm

You guys should REALLY check out the "past glories" section of the forums!

LancerEagle
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 7:17 pm

Re: Speculation: New Yooka-Laylee game reveal this week?

Postby LancerEagle » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:18 pm

Team 17 confirmed on Twitter earlier that the first of their 2 game announcements is the pixel-art Metroidvania title, Blasphemous. Thankfully, given the motif of the game we can be pretty well certain that it's the one being referenced by the metal band in the hint picture, leaving the honeycombs wide open to be the game we're all waiting for. :D

User avatar
Scrubber
Posts: 1472
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:33 pm

Re: Speculation: New Yooka-Laylee game reveal this week?

Postby Scrubber » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:58 pm

One down one to go.

User avatar
Xellos
Posts: 803
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:23 pm

Re: Speculation: New Yooka-Laylee game reveal this week?

Postby Xellos » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:16 pm

Playtonic just tweeted this:

Playtonic Games wrote: Bee back tomorrow.

Piet
Posts: 797
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:31 am

Re: Speculation: New Yooka-Laylee game reveal this week?

Postby Piet » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:30 pm

Xellos wrote:Playtonic just tweeted this:

Playtonic Games wrote: Bee back tomorrow.

Sooo... Chances are high that it has something to do with Capital B! :D

LancerEagle
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 7:17 pm

Re: Speculation: New Yooka-Laylee game reveal this week?

Postby LancerEagle » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:10 pm

Holy smokes, you guys.

Not gonna lie; in spite of the positive tone of my last post in this topic, all week I've been bracing myself for the announcement of "Worms: This Time Versus Bees" or "Yoku's Island Express 2: Journey to the Isle of Honey" and trying to let myself down as painlessly as possible.

BUT JUST THIS ONCE, IT'S ACTUALLY THE THING WE WANTED WAAAAAAAAAAAAHEEEEEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!

User avatar
Scrubber
Posts: 1472
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:33 pm

Re: Speculation: New Yooka-Laylee game reveal this week?

Postby Scrubber » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:19 pm

Playtonics tweet means it's definitely a Bee game and its announced tmos. Bring it on.
Last edited by Scrubber on Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
DanielGarza
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:45 am
Contact:

Re: Speculation: New Yooka-Laylee game reveal this week?

Postby DanielGarza » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:09 pm

Can’t wait! I just really hope it’s not a honeycomb themed puzzle/tetris kind of small game, maybe a sequel?? Or a board game like mario party but with Capital B as host?

Piet
Posts: 797
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:31 am

Re: Speculation: New Yooka-Laylee game reveal this week?

Postby Piet » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:02 am

DanielGarza wrote:Can’t wait! I just really hope it’s not a honeycomb themed puzzle/tetris kind of small game, maybe a sequel?? Or a board game like mario party but with Capital B as host?

I hope it’s an adventure/platforming game!

User avatar
Scrubber
Posts: 1472
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:33 pm

Re: Speculation: New Yooka-Laylee game reveal this week?

Postby Scrubber » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:58 am

DanielGarza wrote:Can’t wait! I just really hope it’s not a honeycomb themed puzzle/tetris kind of small game, maybe a sequel?? Or a board game like mario party but with Capital B as host?

Well I'm not being funny but I ain't gonna buy a puzzle/arcade style game so I really hope not. And seeing as that Mario Party games are essentially multiplayer games I have no interest In that either. I'm all about single player campaigns with great characters and story's.

Piet
Posts: 797
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:31 am

Re: Speculation: New Yooka-Laylee game reveal this week?

Postby Piet » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:26 am

Scrubber wrote:
DanielGarza wrote:Can’t wait! I just really hope it’s not a honeycomb themed puzzle/tetris kind of small game, maybe a sequel?? Or a board game like mario party but with Capital B as host?

Well I'm not being funny but I ain't gonna buy a puzzle/arcade style game so I really hope not. And seeing as that Mario Party games are essentially multiplayer games I have no interest In that either. I'm all about single player campaigns with great characters and story's.

You nailed it! Me too!

I would also like a 2D platforming game ala DKC or a fabulous Metroidvania game like Ori or even a racing game like MK (my personal last best choice), but I would prefer a 3D platforming game too!

I don't think a racing game is happening as Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled will be released soon and MK9's announcement is inevitable.

Just a couple of hours to go! :D

User avatar
Scrubber
Posts: 1472
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:33 pm

Re: Speculation: New Yooka-Laylee game reveal this week?

Postby Scrubber » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:57 pm

Piet wrote:I would also like a 2D platforming game ala DKC

Just a couple of hours to go! :D

You called it!!

My thoughts:

*Looks good, I will definitely be purchasing day one.

*I cant help but be a bit disappointed that they arent gonna show us that they can make an outstanding 3d platformer, as they blamed Yooka-Laylees mediocrity on kickstarter restraints. This seems like a much easier project for them. But if the end result Is a great game then i dont care.

*David Wise track wasn't great, especially for a reveal trailer. Seems like a Tropical Freeze B-Side.


Return to “Yooka-Laylee”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron