Replay Value -- Ideas?

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Taylor

Replay Value -- Ideas?

Postby Taylor » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:19 pm

Obviously we don't have much to go on at the moment, so I'm envisioning Banjo-Kazooie here. After you 100% the game, there's not much left in terms of replay value, I don't think, until you decide to start a new file. You can explore the world again, but there's nothing to really keep you playing...

Of course the main game comes first and would be great on its own, but are there any ideas you'd like to see implemented to keep you playing after defeating the final boss?

I played Sonic Adventure 2 for years because of the Tamagotchi-style 'Chao World' they had. You basically used collectables found in the levels to raise your virtual pet and then race/battle them against each other for rewards. The pets would 'evolve' and change appearance depending on how you raised them -- then you could breed them and do all sorts of odd and unexpected things. It was quite addictive and could potentially work in Ukulele. I can certainly envisage some sort of exotic species living on the island; I mean, they wouldn't look too different from Banjo-Kazooie's Jinjos...

That's just one idea I wouldn't mind seeing. It'd certainly keep me playing for a long time.

Other ideas could be a mini-game/multiplayer mode. What do you guys have in mind, if anything?
Taylonic Ltd.

polomi

Re: Replay Value -- Ideas?

Postby polomi » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:23 pm

Taylor wrote:Other ideas could be a mini-game/multiplayer mode. What do you guys have in mind, if anything?

Yup that's what I'd like! That would keep me comming back much more than anything else.

Though I'm sure this game will be speedrunned to death, platformers always are. So that's enough replayability for some people. I don't speed run games, but I'll gladly watch others do it!

iggy

Postby iggy » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:40 pm

Challenges/achievements would be pretty easy to implement and could add a lot of replay value, e.g.

• Time trials/speedruns - for individual levels or the entire game (or both!)
  • Increased difficulty - less player health/more enemy health, etc.
  • Permadeath - finish the game without dying!
  • High scores - get "x" of "y" (in "z" amount of time)
Last edited by iggy on Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:42 pm

iggy wrote:Challenges/achievements would be pretty easy to implement and could add a lot of replay value, e.g.

[*]Time trials/speedruns - for individual levels or the entire game (or both!)
[*]Increased difficulty - less player health/more enemy health, etc.
[*]Permadeath - finish the game without dying!

I can't believe I never thought of achievements. I would actually like to see this... but I would want to be rewarded with something really enjoyable for doing them. :?
Taylonic Ltd.

polomi

Postby polomi » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:43 pm

Taylor wrote:
iggy wrote:Challenges/achievements would be pretty easy to implement and could add a lot of replay value, e.g.

I can't believe I never thought of achievements. I would actually like to see this... but I would want to be rewarded with something really enjoyable for doing them. :?

Cheats of course! Like in Perfect Dark.

That's a great idea!

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:48 pm

polomi wrote:
Taylor wrote:

Cheats of course! Like in Perfect Dark.

That's a great idea!

Oh that would be pretty cool. Maybe you gain something similar to 'Cheato pages' for every achievement/challenge, then when you have enough you can use them to purchase some sort of cheat or 'extra' that isn't required to actually complete the game...

Just something fun. Extra ammo, new skins, googly eyes on EVERYTHING... Who knows.
Taylonic Ltd.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:50 pm

Yep, multiplayer is the keyword. What I'd really like would be some kind of freeroam multiplayer, where you revisit some larger places - or maybe even the worlds of the singleplayer mode - and get tasked with a challenge. The one player who's the fastest, wins. Of course, you could interfere with other players. Something like that, I don't have a clear idea. But given the increased processing power of the recent consoles, why not try to expand multiplayer on a larger scale?

Lienk

Postby Lienk » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:53 pm

A Tamagotchi-style world, with Jinjo-like characters... :o Please Playtonic listen to this guy!

Kingrat

Postby Kingrat » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:01 pm

What I wouldn't give for a Sonic Adventure 3 with chao garden....
In terms of replayability though I was thinking along the lines of sillier stuff. Giant heads, changing all the enemy models (ala jet force gemini), or, ideally, a new game+ mode.
They could make it harder.
Mirror all the environments and switch the placements of things around.
Do a role reversal of the protagonists (where kazooie would be big and banjo stays in the backpack)
Maybe even a windwaker/nier style new game plus where you learn new things or stuff looks different.
Bottom line. NG+

TheAnvil

Postby TheAnvil » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:17 pm

Not many games have replay value after you complete them. I'd rather they focus on making a game as good as Banjo Kazooie and Banjo Tooie that has replay value in the sense that I could play it over and over again for years.
Project Ukelele for Wii U. @MLFoxwell

Viellain
Location: The North American Plate on Planet Earth, part of the Solar System within the Milky Way.

Postby Viellain » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:21 pm

I think it would be awesome to have super hard challenge levels you know for those people who think they're way too good at the game so give them an all out platforming experience or just enhanced versions of certain stuff in the game like what if Banjo Kazooie where you have to fight Conga, but he was on a moving platform instead and much farther away?

But for me personally I loved that little FPS-like minigame in Banjo Tooie that was fun if you have a couple of people.

Nomonoke

Postby Nomonoke » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:35 am

Multiplayer something would be great.
Post game cheats that do silly things like make your eyes big. Achievements are also cool, and it would be nice if the cheats were a reward for some of them?

LOZ Wind Waker was mentioned, and I do love how in that game you could play through it without Hearts spawning, so you had to heal by potions and other things. Could be an interesting play mechanic here for those that want something more difficult. I would LOVE that.

lavamario

Postby lavamario » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:49 am

I gotta say, the idea of a Chao Garden-like mechanic sounds great in pretty much any game.

Only thing I wouldn't like is if, say, it promoted grinding for materials from fallen enemies or something. Which it kinda did in Sonic Adventure 2, but it fit that style of game more because you were speedrunning levels instead of exploring so it wasn't that much of an issue. Mechanics should be used to enhance exploration. I wouldn't want to be stuck playing the same mini games several times for rewards to feed my pet/thing or something.

weebbby

Postby weebbby » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:53 am

After you beat the game I want to be able to just enter any world and play through just that part, but I also somewhat think this would lead to me being bored of playing my favorite world over and over again, so I kind of don't want it at the same time. <.<

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:57 am

Lienk wrote:A Tamagotchi-style world, with Jinjo-like characters... :o Please Playtonic listen to this guy!

Kingrat wrote:What I wouldn't give for a Sonic Adventure 3 with chao garden....

lavamario wrote:I gotta say, the idea of a Chao Garden-like mechanic sounds great in pretty much any game.

You see this Playtonic? Get on that Tamogotchi-style mini-game pronto. Well, after the main game is nearing completion, of course... :roll:

Challenges/achievements that reward you with fun 'extras' seems like a really popular idea too!
Taylonic Ltd.

Phineas Q. Phailboat

Postby Phineas Q. Phailboat » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:33 am

This is exactly what I was thinking, and it only took me 11 pages to find it already written here... I think that this should definitely be a part of the list of ideas sticky.

A Jet Force Gemini ability to replay any level as many times as you want would certainly be welcome in my books.

Edit: Wicked somebody already put it there.

TochJPGR

Postby TochJPGR » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:47 am

The Chao Garden-like mini-game idea is pretty awesome :D.

New Game+, Time challenges and graphic changes only shown on the second walkthorugh would be awesome too.

I suggest a type of Master Quest, like the one in Loz: Ocarina of Time; it's basicly New Game+ whith subtile changes on the level design to make it harder.

Scraps69

Postby Scraps69 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:59 pm

Replayability is nice and all, just don't do DK64 and make character swap at certain points only and character exclusive items.

Want replayability? Online co op and competitive with levelling up shenanigans With rewards such as a new skin when a level is reached.

Or Rayman Legends like ranked daily/weekly events. Eg, getting a Pagie in the fastest time but without touching the ground. Or getting through a certain part of the level the quickest. Defeat a certain number of enemies the quickest .

Plenty of ideas.

Hell, even make a soccer match mode but characters kick the ball with their basic attack.

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:02 pm

polomi wrote:
Taylor wrote:Other ideas could be a mini-game/multiplayer mode. What do you guys have in mind, if anything?

Yup that's what I'd like! That would keep me comming back much more than anything else.

Though I'm sure this game will be speedrunned to death, platformers always are. So that's enough replayability for some people. I don't speed run games, but I'll gladly watch others do it!

Pajamingo dingo Bingo! +5

I can't think of anything that fits in with a platformer for more replayability that wouldn't just be tacked on and would be more appropriate for other genres. But I can say I did enjoy the DK64 multiplayer.
Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:15 pm

Achievements. More specifically OUTSIDE THE BOX achievements. Bk and Bt's achievements were all achieved through playing the main story. I'd like to have to dig deeper for achievements.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”