Project Ukelele + Lobodestroyo crossover

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
EekumBokum202

Project Ukelele + Lobodestroyo crossover

Postby EekumBokum202 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:28 am

So I THINK Gavin Price mentioned at EGX that they would LOVE to have their characters cameo in other games! Which had me thinking...

How many of you are familiar with Lobodestroyo?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/le ... ormer-game

https://www.youtube.com/user/lobodestroyo/videos

https://www.facebook.com/lobodestroyo

Basically, it's a game that's a love-letter to the 3D platformer games of the 90's... Kind of like what Playtonic Games is doing with Project Ukelele now!

Having some kind of crossover between the two, or at least having characters cameo in each-others' games, it would just be so perfect, wouldn't you agree?

CrazyChaos

Re: Project Ukelele + Lobodestroyo crossover

Postby CrazyChaos » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:38 am

Well, there is also A Hat in Time, Clive -N- Wrench, Spooky Poo's HAPPY HELL, and probably more taking similar routes. No reason for only one to get special attention, so it is probably best to not touch on that sort of stuff yet.

John Enigma

Postby John Enigma » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:44 am

It wouldn't be a bad idea, but that's up to the developers.

Will we see someday, a crossover between Project Ukulele and Lobodestroyo? Who knows?
"INSERT TO F***ING BOX!"

Alph

Postby Alph » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:49 am

I think it would be really neat idea.

Rawk

Postby Rawk » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:03 am

A definite yes for Lobodestroyo (since it takes place in a Rare-inspired world with Rare-inspired characters), but I wouldn't want that door to be opened for every Kickstarted 3D platformer that comes knocking.

The DKU is a delicate thing!

Jellyfunk

Postby Jellyfunk » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:18 am

Contaminate the game with characters of potentially mediocre games.

EekumBokum202

Postby EekumBokum202 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:35 am

CrazyChaos wrote:Well, there is also A Hat in Time, Clive -N- Wrench, Spooky Poo's HAPPY HELL, and probably more taking similar routes. No reason for only one to get special attention, so it is probably best to not touch on that sort of stuff yet.

Yeah, good point... Though Lobodestroyo came to my mind since, more then those other games, they're deliberately trying to invoke the Rare influence on this game. One character even says "Eekum Bokum", according to the Kickstarter trailer.

Rawk wrote:A definite yes for Lobodestroyo (since it takes place in a Rare-inspired world with Rare-inspired characters), but I wouldn't want that door to be opened for every Kickstarted 3D platformer that comes knocking.

The DKU is a delicate thing!

What's the DKU?

TheMasterDS

Postby TheMasterDS » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:38 am

The shared universe of Donkey Kong, Banjo, Conker, Tricky the Triceratops, Tiptup and the rest of the Diddy Kong Racing Crew. Donkey Kong Country was the first (Rare) game set in this universe so it is sometimes termed the Donkey Kong Universe or DKU.

Alph

Postby Alph » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:39 am

It's a group of games that have direct character ties leading back to Donkey Kong Country.

Krockhead

Postby Krockhead » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:44 am

The Donkey Kong Universe is a term to describe Donkey Kong Country and its various spinoffs. DKC spun off into Diddy Kong Racing, which spun off into Banjo and Conker and so forth.

It's all based on character appearances. If a character debuts in a DKU game(with a few exceptions), then every other game that character appears in will be DKU. Diddy first appeared in DKC, a DKU game. Because of this, Diddy Kong Racing is also DKU. DKR introduced Banjo, which made Banjo-Kazooie DKU. B-K introduced Roysten(this is where things get weird, but still understandable) making Ghoulies, Viva Piñata, and Kinect Sports Season 2 DKU.

One thing you have to remember is that the DKU is the name of classification for the games, not the physical universe. For example, Sabreman appeared in Banjo-Tooie, meaning that the whole Sabre Wulf series coexists with DK, Banjo and the like. However, because Sabreman did not debut in Tooie, an appearance of Sabreman does not mean a game is DKU.

DKVineHyle

Postby DKVineHyle » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:54 am

The problem you have with something like this is what happens if Project Ukulele has a same type of animal species that Lobodestroyo has? Lobo stars Mutt, who is a wolf. Will Project Ukulele have wolves? One of the boss characters of Lobo is Gnawton Sawtooth III, who is a beaver. Will Project Ukulele have beavers? If so, their art styles won't match, and therefore you're already muddying up your shared universe.

Rare actually kept it pretty consistent back in the day. You'd sometimes have two classes of animals (in the case of rhinos, regular steeds like Rambi and anthropomorphic guys like Big Al), but that could always be explained away through magic (Taj granted all of the animals on Timber's Island intelligence. Gruntilda gave everything in her Lair down to her crapper the ability to talk). The only company they crossed over with was Nintendo, and that's just Donkey Kong appearing in Mario games (and the Mushroom Kingdom was always a separate world that DK visited, not right down the street). CONTINUITY ABOUT TALKING ANIMALS IS SERIOUS BUSINESS.

Now, don't get me wrong. I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't love to see Lobodestroyo partner up with Playtonic in some way. Out of all of the Kickstarter-funded 3D platformer revivals, it IS the one doing it in the image of Rare rather than Nintendo. As one of the writers of Lobo, I can tell you that we're definitely putting our Rare fanboy credentials to good use in scripting the dialogue. It's kind of humbling to even be attempting to do this now while in the mighty shadow of Playtonic.

EekumBokum202

Postby EekumBokum202 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:59 am

TheMasterDS wrote:The shared universe of Donkey Kong, Banjo, Conker, Tricky the Triceratops, Tiptup and the rest of the Diddy Kong Racing Crew. Donkey Kong Country was the first (Rare) game set in this universe so it is sometimes termed the Donkey Kong Universe or DKU.

Ah, right! I guess it would make more sense to establish to establish the Ukelele universe before crossing over with other games.

Incidentally, I LOVE that each character is going to get their own story, and perhaps even their own game eventually! :D

Polygonzo

Postby Polygonzo » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:14 pm

I don't think Spooky Poo would jive with Ukulele's world, though it would be an honour!

As a developer though (creator of Happy Hell), I'm not a big fan of crossovers unless they are within the same company/universe (like Rareware did with Diddy Kong Racing's cast). It depends on the game though. Smash Brothers makes sense to me...

I would love it if DKVine had some bizarro explanation for how Happy Hell is a weird alternate dimension shadowing the Rare Universe, but as far as straight up legit crossovers go, I can't imagine Playtonic would even consider Happy Hell, and that's fine with me. Why would they? I'm happy just existing at the same time as them :)

This topic does make me wonder what backer rewards Playtonic will be offering. I really like in-game rewards like designing your own character.

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:51 am

I've never heard of it. This should happen a long time AFTER the game comes out.

polomi

Postby polomi » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:25 pm

Although I quite like what I've seen from Lobodestroyo, I agree with Hyle.

Besides, I only like crossovers when it's in multiplayer games (Diddy Kong Racing, Smash Bros, games like that). I'd hate to see a character from another universe right in the main adventure of some other unrelated game. :|

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:12 pm

No, I don't want to see any crossover from other indie games just because they're 3D platformers. Maybe a small cameo like a hidden poster, but that's all there should be in Project Ukulele.

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:58 pm

DarkTone wrote:I've never heard of it. This should happen a long time AFTER the game comes out.

Agreed, we don't need the over saturation that Mighty No. 9 has. He's had a crossover game released and an anime announced before the game itself is even out.
DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”