Creative use of music and sounds?

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Unexpected

Creative use of music and sounds?

Postby Unexpected » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:26 pm

The thread title might be a bit confusing, but let me explain what I mean :P Something that I've come to really enjoy in video games is not only the soundtracks themselves, but when the developers make creative use of said soundtracks. Old Rare games had good examples of this, such as levels having several variations of the same theme.

For example, there's the Mayhem Temple music, and then there's the music that plays when you're close to the Kickball Stadium, which's a variation of that level's theme. Also, Hailfire Peaks having fire and ice variations. Naturally, there are many other examples, like the underwater themes for each level.

And there are games that take this "creative" use of music to a whole new level, such as the fantastic music levels in Rayman Legends. Here's a very good example of how that game uses the music in accordance with the level design to create a very fun experience: https://youtu.be/olUDhxz58hM?t=19
Another good example of creative sound design is Chibi Robo. Notice how Chibi's footsteps are actually melodic sounds that make kind of a little tune while he walks. They also change when he walks on a different surface, like the carpet in the video, and there are little tunes that play when does certain actions, like cleaning the floor.

I think it'd be pretty cool if the theme variation in BK and BT was brought back in Project Ukelele. And I'm not saying Playtonic should do exactly what those games in my examples have done, but I think it'd be pretty awesome if they expanded on their use of music and the role of the music in their game. Heck, the project's name is the name of an instrument, even! :lol:

Does anyone else agree? Would you like to see more creative use of music and sounds like this in Project Ukelele?

Taylor

Re: Creative use of music and sounds?

Postby Taylor » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:28 pm

Playtonic confirmed in their presentation that theme variations will feature in Ukulele, just like in the Banjo games. :)

Despite the project being named after an instrument, Playtonic also confirmed that its mostly in reference to 'Banjo' and doesn't play a musical roll in the game itself. The soundtrack will be awesome though, especially as three ex-Rare composers are on board. Grant Kirkhope included.

Creative uses of music is a really interesting idea. For example, I loved how the coloured platforming boxes in Mario 3D World would disappear in sync with the beat of the music. If Playtonic could find an organic, uncontrived way to include stuff like this, I'd really enjoy it!

I've made a few posts on here about expanding the music, but my suggestions were more along the lines of unlockable remix tracks. E.g. collect a hard-to-find item and be rewarded with, say, an 8-bit techno arrangement of a level theme.

Whatever happens, I think music should be given a lot of attention.
Taylonic Ltd.

Unexpected

Postby Unexpected » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:31 am

Oh, it's awesome to know the theme variations have already been confirmed! :D

I can't believe I forgot to mention the beatbox levels in Mario 3D World and Land! Those were another great example of creative use of music.

I've seen your posts about remixes, and those were what inspired me to create this thread, actually! :lol: Remixes would be pretty cool, and I think other uses of music would be awesome as well!

But yeah, I'm very confident that this game's soundtrack will be amazing! It is in very good hands :3

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:25 am

Oh yes, great thread. I was also wondering myself if Grant, Dave & Steve will do the so-called "audiodesign" in general. But I think this is going to be the case. What I really blowed my mind in Rayman Legends upon discovery was that the bubbles you could burst on the Wii U Gamepad made different sounds - when bursting several bubbles in a row, you recognize the melody of the main / medieval theme of the game. That was so neat!

Of course for Project Ukulele, I would strip down the Gamepad gimmicks to Off-TV-play. But I liked the way how they fit musical ideas in that game. We can be really curious what Playtonic will cook up!

Unexpected

Postby Unexpected » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:50 pm

Oh, I didn't know that tidbit about the bubbles in Rayman Legends! That's a pretty cool easter egg :D

As for gamepad usage, I'd personally prefer if Playtonic didn't focus on the gamepad for Project Ukelele. But I can see that working for an easter egg or two, yeah! :3

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:41 pm

This is a cool post. I was just replaying Banjo Kazooie and Banjo Tooie this weekend and I was once again STUNNED by how many amazing variations to the music there is. Most of the Banjo-Kazooie music is based around the Teddy Bear's Picnic theme, but the branches from there are astounding. There's an underwater variant, there's a "swampy" variant, an industrial variant, a dark and bright variant. I REALLY hope that that style of composing makes its way into Project Ukulele. I don't see how it couldn't.

There's a variation on the theme for every situation and it's so astonishing.

I notice the level design is like this too. All of the tunnels are honey-comb shaped which I had never noticed before. There's just a ton of these little things snuck in.

Edit: Just read through the thread. Apparently that style of variation on a theme IS returning. EXCELLENT!
Make the forum great again.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:20 pm

Yep, the variations and fading between tracks is returning. Even the Banjo-Kazooie style is returning. We have lots to look forward to! :)
Taylonic Ltd.

ottake

Postby ottake » Fri May 01, 2015 11:48 pm

I'd be glad if they had the music changing during the level like in classic Banjo.
I hope they would go beyond though, using new tech, and try to implement the sound effects to the mix. Like how Wind Waker did when you'd slash enemies, or in any way they could get sound effects to blend with the music like that, in my opinion it would be great.

croissant

Postby croissant » Sat May 02, 2015 3:25 am

Rueckkoppler wrote:Oh yes, great thread. I was also wondering myself if Grant, Dave & Steve will do the so-called "audiodesign" in general. But I think this is going to be the case. What I really blowed my mind in Rayman Legends upon discovery was that the bubbles you could burst on the Wii U Gamepad made different sounds - when bursting several bubbles in a row, you recognize the melody of the main / medieval theme of the game. That was so neat!

Of course for Project Ukulele, I would strip down the Gamepad gimmicks to Off-TV-play. But I liked the way how they fit musical ideas in that game. We can be really curious what Playtonic will cook up!

Oh, I remember they did something like this in Banjo-Kazooie. I think it was in the Mad Monster Mansion stage. There was a ghost master hand playing the organ in a church, and the keys would play the same note as the stage theme, when you pressed them as the hand instructed. It always gave me chills. :)

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”