Project Ukelele's chronological relation with the Banjo-Kazooie series

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
TSE1130

Project Ukelele's chronological relation with the Banjo-Kazooie series

Postby TSE1130 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:16 pm

Is Project Ukelele the sequel to the traditional Banjo-Tooie video game?
Guest 10000000000000/TheScienceEnthusiast1130. A science and entertainment media enthusiast. Activist of Anonymous. Hello. :D

https://about.me/guest10000000000000

Taylor

Re: Project Ukelele's chronological relation with the Banjo-Kazooie series

Postby Taylor » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:21 pm

Project Ukulele is a spiritual successor to the traditional platforming games. It's not a sequel, nor a prequel; there will be completely new characters, worlds and stories. Banjo-Kazooie characters won't feature in the game unless Rare/Microsoft allow a cameo.

Despite being unrelated to the BK universe, common sense tells me that Ukulele is set after Banjo-Tooie (and after Nuts & Bolts). If Banjo were to cameo in Ukulele, it would be weird and time consuming to explain that he hasn't yet defeated Grunty and her sisters.
Taylonic Ltd.

TSE1130

Postby TSE1130 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:35 pm

Taylor wrote:Project Ukulele is a spiritual successor to the traditional platforming games. It's not a sequel, nor a prequel; there will be completely new characters, worlds and stories. Banjo-Kazooie characters won't feature in the game unless Rare/Microsoft allow a cameo.

Despite being unrelated to the BK universe, common sense tells me that Ukulele is set after Banjo-Tooie (and after Nuts & Bolts). If Banjo were to cameo in Ukulele, it would be weird and time consuming to explain that he hasn't yet defeated Grunty and her sisters.

@Taylor: Again, I noticed the "games" section of the main Playtonic Games website, and it says "Our first game is a spiritual successor to Banjo-Kazooie". So it is related to Banjo-Kazooie...
Guest 10000000000000/TheScienceEnthusiast1130. A science and entertainment media enthusiast. Activist of Anonymous. Hello. :D

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:39 pm

TSE1130 wrote:@Taylor: Again, I noticed the "games" section of the main Playtonic Games website, and it says "Our first game is a spiritual successor to Banjo-Kazooie". So it is related to Banjo-Kazooie...

I know? My first sentence said it's a spiritual successor. I'm not sure what you're saying.

A spiritual successor does not mean it's 'related'. Well, not entirely. The only relation it'll have to the Banjo-Kazooie series is the gameplay, tone, style, humour, challenge variety, googly eyes and mumbling voices. It's a similar game made by the same people, but not 'related'.

Read about it here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=394
Taylonic Ltd.

TSE1130

Postby TSE1130 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:49 pm

Taylor wrote:
TSE1130 wrote:@Taylor: Again, I noticed the "games" section of the main Playtonic Games website, and it says "Our first game is a spiritual successor to Banjo-Kazooie". So it is related to Banjo-Kazooie...

I know? My first sentence said it's a spiritual successor. I'm not sure what you're saying.

A spiritual successor does not mean it's 'related'. Well, not entirely. The only relation it'll have to the Banjo-Kazooie series is the gameplay, tone, style, humour, challenge variety, googly eyes and mumbling voices. It's a similar game made by the same people, but not 'related'.

Read about it here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=394

Anything is possible at this moment. Especially when Phil Spencer is hoping that Banjo-Kazooie appears in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U (as downloadable content), on a video game on another platform made by a different video game company. Also, the possibility of Playtonic Games getting involved in Phil Spencer's decision via a campaign only increases the probability of Banjo appearing in some sort of major role. The possibility of that happening almost big enough to make an impact. But this requires co-operation from Playtonic Games, Rare Ltd., Nintendo, Microsoft, and the fans of Rare Ltd., Playtonic Games, Microsoft and Nintendo.

ARE! YOU! READY!?

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:55 pm

Heh, maybe...

But Ukulele is aiming to be a multi-platform game. Banjo, if he gets into the game, will probably be an Xbox exclusive as Gavin Price has already said.

Due to Banjo only being an Xbox exclusive, he probably isn't going to have a major roll. Exclusive content should never have major rolls, or it's quite unfair on people that don't own that version of the game.
Taylonic Ltd.

TSE1130

Postby TSE1130 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:10 pm

Taylor wrote:Heh, maybe...

But Ukulele is aiming to be a multi-platform game. Banjo, if he gets into the game, will probably be an Xbox exclusive as Gavin Price has already said.

Due to Banjo only being an Xbox exclusive, he probably isn't going to have a major roll. Exclusive content should never have major rolls, or it's quite unfair on people that don't own that version of the game.

Think of this situation: One of the latest Final Fantasy video games (Final Fantasy XIII) used to be an exclusive to the PlayStation 3. But what happened? They expanded their range to the Xbox 360.

So it is possible to allow Banjo to be on other platforms. And especially where GamerGate has taken back the video game industry furiously, and brought major change that other people previously thought that these changes could not be done. We live in a world where almost nothing is certain, then almost anything is possible.

WE. HAVE. THE. POTENTIAL.

USE. IT.

:)

Signed:
- TheScinceEnthusiast1130

Lupo

Postby Lupo » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:58 pm

TSE1130 wrote:

Think of this situation: One of the latest Final Fantasy video games (Final Fantasy XIII) used to be an exclusive to the PlayStation 3. But what happened? They expanded their range to the Xbox 360.

So it is possible to allow Banjo to be on other platforms. And especially where GamerGate has taken back the video game industry furiously, and brought major change that other people previously thought that these changes could not be done. We live in a world where almost nothing is certain, then almost anything is possible.

USE. IT.

Signed:

The BIG difference between that and Banjo is that Rareware is a second party studio owned by Microsoft whereas Square Enix is a third party developer. Second party developer always (or usually) develop games for the console made by the company that owns them. Also, Phil Spencer didn't say he wants it, but just that he wouldn't mind, plus that is only a cameo and no other relation.

I know it is bad to say, if PU were to be physically related to BK is if PG somehow bought the IP, or if they got big enough to organise a deal with Rareware... though in that case, they would probably have to develop a game under the deal exclusively for the XBOX.
Just because I'm not posting doesn't mean I am stalking your every move, determining my next course of action...

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:53 pm

The thing with BK appearing in Smash is that whoever the devs are there (is it still Sora? Or was that only for Brawl? I know Namco Bandai was involved, yeah?), that studio is going to have to buy the opportunity to have BK in the game. That's probably why Phil Spencer would be OK with it; they'll get money out of it. And especially so if the rumors are true that Rare has another BK game in the works (would it be 5 or 6? I can only think of the one hand held BK..). Wouldn't be too bad to use BK in Sm4sh to advertise the new game.

I don't think the Project Ukulele universe is going to tie into the BK world in any significant way. (And there would be interesting consequences like the entire Mario universe being related to PU thanks to Mario --> Donkey Kong/Diddy Kong --> Diddy Kong Racing --> Banjo Kazooie. Hehe.)
Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

theballaam96

Postby theballaam96 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:19 pm

Personally, as much as I love Banjo-Kazooie (Aside from N&B), I don't think Banjo and/or Kazooie should appear physically as a character. Even if it's just someone running about the Hub world as a non-talkable person, I don't think they should have it.
At most, I think we're going to get a reference to the series like one of the controllable characters requesting a Backpack, or talking about defeating a witch on top of a tower or something.
I think that would be nice as a little nod to the developers past works in a different company (whether they would have to ask Rare for the permission to reference this would be another matter), but I don't think they should have a physical Banjo+/Kazooie in the game.

TSE1130

Postby TSE1130 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:32 pm

<sarcasm> Great progress all of you are making... </sarcasm>

Again, everyone is showing the pessimism...

Did you not read the comment above which had the word "GamerGate" in it? Or are you Microsoft CONSERVATIVES (as in, you do NOT want any change.)?

An amazing change should appear at some time...

You either change, or you get NOTHING.

#DealWithIt

No offense...

Anyways, have a good day and I'll see you later.

:) :) :) :)

Signed
- TheScienceEnthusiast1130

Oh wait, here is one more thing:

"The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don't have any."
Quote by Alice Walker
Last edited by Taylor on Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Double post

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:31 am

Yes, silly me, if I didn't think that I couldn't fly I'd be able to fly. I'll go jump out a window, by the time I'm back I'm sure Playtonic will have bought Microsoft and cows will rule Australia. Here's another quote for you:

"Any man can make mistakes, but only an idiot persists in his error." ~Cicero

We never said we don't want any change, we aren't a hashtag, and you offer no counterarguments to valid claims. You're not going to make us change our minds by ignoring our posts, belittling our opinions, and trying to counter the points that we bring up with "WAKE UP SHEEPLE! The conservatives are rotting your minds!"
DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

polomi

Postby polomi » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:37 am

I already expressed my opinion elsewhere, but I don't want Ukulele to have anything to do with Banjo-Kazooie. It's a spiritual successor, and I'm fine with that. I'm happy that Playtonic just seem to keep the main ingredients that made BK a great game, and use them to make something fresh and completely new. I want it to be its own thing, its own universe. If we get BK3 someday, then I'll be happy about it, but that's not what I want Ukulele to be.

Unrelated to what I want or like, I think Taylor summed up the current known situation pretty well.

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:56 am

What Taylor said.

ryanator008

Postby ryanator008 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:15 pm

I think Project Ukelele takes place in the same universe as My Little Pony, and if you believe otherwise, it's just because the man wants you to! :roll:

TSE1130

Postby TSE1130 » Thu May 25, 2017 2:13 pm

GrayMagicΓ wrote:Yes, silly me, if I didn't think that I couldn't fly I'd be able to fly. I'll go jump out a window, by the time I'm back I'm sure Playtonic will have bought Microsoft and cows will rule Australia. Here's another quote for you:

"Any man can make mistakes, but only an idiot persists in his error." ~Cicero

We never said we don't want any change, we aren't a hashtag, and you offer no counterarguments to valid claims. You're not going to make us change our minds by ignoring our posts, belittling our opinions, and trying to counter the points that we bring up with "WAKE UP SHEEPLE! The conservatives are rotting your minds!"

1. It is impossible for a small startup-type Rareware derivative to buy the largest computer software company in the world. Instead, it would be the exact other way around.

2. Cows ruling Australia is a red herring, as it was never mentioned anywhere else about "Project Ukelele".

3. Wow! Not only are you especially lazy, but also too much of a conformist, filthy casual "gamer". You only offer moronic insults, not "valid claims".

4. By dictionary standards, you ARE a political conservative. Get out of video games discussions, you statist drone.

Thank you for reading! (!)

TSE1130

Postby TSE1130 » Thu May 25, 2017 2:31 pm

Lupo wrote:
TSE1130 wrote:

USE. IT.

Signed:

The BIG difference between that and Banjo is that Rareware is a second party studio owned by Microsoft whereas Square Enix is a third party developer. Second party developer always (or usually) develop games for the console made by the company that owns them. Also, Phil Spencer didn't say he wants it, but just that he wouldn't mind, plus that is only a cameo and no other relation.

I know it is bad to say, if PU were to be physically related to BK is if PG somehow bought the IP, or if they got big enough to organise a deal with Rareware... though in that case, they would probably have to develop a game under the deal exclusively for the XBOX.

It is possible for Nintendo to request Microsoft to bring back Rare Ltd to Nintendo, though quite difficult. https://www.change.org/p/rare-ltd-bring ... ndo-co-ltd

rocho

Postby rocho » Sun May 28, 2017 1:22 pm

TSE1130 wrote:
Lupo wrote:
TSE1130 wrote:

USE. IT.

Signed:

It is possible for Nintendo to request Microsoft to bring back Rare Ltd to Nintendo, though quite difficult. https://www.change.org/p/rare-ltd-bring ... ndo-co-ltd

Man I just hope PlaytonicGames generates enough new IPs for me to let go the thought that Rare is not with Nintendo no more.

That is the only hope I have because Microsoft seems like it will never ever do anything interesting with Rare IPs :o

A bit off topic by the way

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”