Language Of The Game Characters

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
John Enigma

Language Of The Game Characters

Postby John Enigma » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:14 pm

Is the every creature from the game (including the main duo), going to speak in full, understandable English?

Or are they going to speak Animalese, which is the language the Animal Crossing animals, and to a lesser extent, the Banjo-Kazooie universe speak?
"INSERT TO F***ING BOX!"

Exaskryz

Re: Language Of The Game Characters

Postby Exaskryz » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:17 pm

I want the BK style noises but the on-screen text to be in the localized language.
Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:48 pm

I'm not sure what you mean, but it's already been confirmed that the dialogue will be like Banjo-Kazooie. You will read the the dialogue and hear mumbling sounds.
Taylonic Ltd.

John Enigma

Postby John Enigma » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:03 pm

Taylor wrote:I'm not sure what you mean,

"Animalese" which is a language that you hear in Animal Crossing, is a language that everytime you hear it, is mostly based on gibberish, mumbling, and other type of indistinct, speech-impediment like sounds.

Is understandable, because you see what they're saying on the screen in crispy, clean English.
"INSERT TO F***ING BOX!"

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:08 pm

Taylor wrote:It's already been confirmed that the dialogue will be like Banjo-Kazooie.

^

Now that I think about it, I kind of wish we could get a soundbite from literally any character at all. Basically I wanna hear some mumbling.

Yep. Mumbling. In high demand.
Make the forum great again.

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:14 pm

John Enigma wrote:

"Animalese" which is a language that you hear in Animal Crossing, is a language that everytime you hear it, is mostly based on gibberish, mumbling, and other type of indistinct, speech-impediment like sounds.

Is understandable, because you see what they're saying on the screen in crispy, clean English.

Actually, animalese is sped up English audio, at least in the English games. If you listen closely, you can hear them speaking at about three hundred words per minute.
Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

John Enigma

Postby John Enigma » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:26 pm

Exaskryz wrote:
John Enigma wrote:

Actually, animalese is sped up English audio, at least in the English games. If you listen closely, you can hear them speaking at about three hundred words per minute.

Oh. Okay. Is just that it sounds really weird, the first time I played Animal Crossing: Wild World.
"INSERT TO F***ING BOX!"

Scraps69

Postby Scraps69 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:21 pm

I don't know what language they speak But it's universal, baby.

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:57 pm

Noises. With sub-titles.

Evil Sonic

Postby Evil Sonic » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:44 am

They're going with Banjo-Kazooie gibberish, but I think it would be cool if they take that further and make it into an actual language like the Klonoa series does.

Just a suggestion, not something I am in DIRE need to see, though. :P

GildasMagnus

Postby GildasMagnus » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:23 am

An actual language is an interesting idea, but as long as they differentiate as they used to with different sounds denoting different characters - metal clanking or buzzing or water splashing, I'll be happy. Maybe one or two characters, perhaps of one species, could have their own Language, but I'd rather they focus on other things.
Came to save my sister, stayed for the quiz show.

Derpy World 1 NPC

Postby Derpy World 1 NPC » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:57 pm

So it's confirmed to be BK-style mumbling, and I'm pretty happy with that as-is. So, anyway, we've all asked what the main characters LOOK like (psh, minor details), but a much more important question would be: what do they individually SOUND like? Incoherent muttering? Gurgly cooing? This could determine the fate of the entire game, here!

Unexpected

Postby Unexpected » Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:19 am

I'm very happy that the gibberish voices are coming back. They're a minor detail, but they were a very nice touch to the overall style of the Banjo-Kazooie series :D I just hope the mumbles are more like in the first two games than in Nuts & Bolts, though. They were... more amusing in those first ones, for some reason. I don't know how to explain exactly why, they just felt more... fun to listen to, I guess? xD

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”