Formal Bosses in Project Ukulele

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!

Would you prefer to have formal bosses in each level or bosses scattered throughout the game?

Formal bosses in each level (like in Banjo-Tooie and Donkey Kong 64)
65%
Bosses scattered throughout (like in Banjo-Kazooie and Super Mario 64)?
35%

Total votes: 51

John

Formal Bosses in Project Ukulele

Postby John » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:52 am

Hey superfans! I was thinking about the style of bosses in different platformers and would like your opinion on the issue.
Rarewareusedtobegood

Shawnsim

Re: Formal Bosses in Project Ukulele

Postby Shawnsim » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:44 am

I have always been a fan of just the final boss only.
I find a boss per level to just be a bit tedious in my adventure games.
Just my preference of course.

GildasMagnus

Postby GildasMagnus » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:35 am

For something like Ukulele, I'm more a fan of occasional, plot-specific bosses, rather than one per level. It adds gravity to the situation and is a better story-telling device. However, if the levels end up being huge, I might change my mind. Too many bosses might cheapen the battles, though.
Came to save my sister, stayed for the quiz show.

Alucard

Postby Alucard » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:33 am

Banjo-Tooie did it well with the bosses (each world has one boss) and they are all tied to the story of the world.

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:06 am

A combination of one boss in each level like in Banjo-Tooie/Donkey Kong 64, and required to beat them to make progress through the game like Donkey Kong 64 did, would be ideal for Project Ukulele.

polomi

Postby polomi » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:47 am

GildasMagnus wrote:For something like Ukulele, I'm more a fan of occasional, plot-specific bosses, rather than one per level. It adds gravity to the situation and is a better story-telling device.

I agree with this. It's better to have very situational bosses, only when appropriate, rather than to follow a rule like one per level, which feels forced and artificial. But I don't think it's that important either.

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:53 am

I love bosses. I would have said at the end of the stage/world, but BK made it work. Since ukulele is a similar formula, scattered is fine for this.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:26 pm

I like the idea of formal bosses, but not in every level
Make the forum great again.

Derpy World 1 NPC

Postby Derpy World 1 NPC » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:44 pm

I'm leaning toward formal bosses, but I can respect the idea of only running into a boss once in a while so you're not always expecting it.
Either way, I hope they keep the silly boss titles.

dream09

Postby dream09 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:53 pm

I think PU should have optional mini-bosses scattered across the world while after every 2-4 worlds there is a main boss that you have to do which could open new areas of the hub world

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:35 pm

I much prefer Tooies bosses and I'd like them like that in Ukulele. I don't even class Banjo-Kazooie as having bosses.

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:10 am

I'm fine with either, but they need a proper reward like in DK64. If you only give a Pagie for it there won't be any incentive to do it over a normal jiggy, especially if it's convoluted to reach bosses like in DK64. They could either require them for new worlds or reward multiple Pagies, both of which worked well in N&B.
DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

TrenteR

Postby TrenteR » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:19 pm

The only thing is I want a boss I like to fight. It don't need to be hard, personally good bosses that stuck with the head are the best. Because the most memorable bosses are the ones that are completely wrong in first place or have a beautiful soundtrack.

Examples:
Great Mighty Poo (I don't need to explain this, a boss who sings opera)
Pirate Master (Shantae and the Pirate's Curse [End-boss])
HAG1 (Who thought that you fight a machine?)
Wizpig1 (DKR, has awesome music and this boss is hard)

That are only some examples. And pls go away from BT bosses. Every boss is defeated with eggs.
I don't want bosses that are unforgiving like Dark Souls, but bosses without a giant red mark (Here Weakpoint!)
And pls don't refer to bosses where you have to use your move or weapon, that you acquired only.

Good Example is Gruntilda in BK as a boss. You have to use nearly anything you learned the whole game. In BT 50% of moves you learn are not used in the HAG1 fight. HAG1 fight is choosing egg evade everything till you can hit her. Aim, shoot, evade.

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:21 pm

TrenteR wrote:That are only some examples. And pls go away from BT bosses. Every boss is defeated with eggs.

I'd say this is more of an issue with Tooie's moveset adding almost exclusively context sensitive abilities and pointless egg types. I'm sure if they had more creative abilities we'd have seen them get used more often during the boss fights.
DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

Xenoka

Postby Xenoka » Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:11 pm

Why not go the Shadow of Collossus route with only bosses and a few collectables thrown around the place ;)

Jaresk

Postby Jaresk » Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:17 pm

Having played through Tooie lately, I personally would prefer they approach it in a similar way. I like how each boss is their own character, since it's in the style of the game. But something I noticed is how you technically don't kill most of the bosses. Which adds to their character having them either befriend Banjo and Kazooie, or accept defeat while handing over a Jiggy while, in one case, pretending to be dead.

I guess I want bosses cause it offer opportunities for more personality, which I really like. :3

Shawnsim

Postby Shawnsim » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:44 pm

After thinking about it a bit, here is what could happen.

So the worlds are living books, if each individual level or story has a protagonist in it then, I could see there being a boss per level. I would actually like that quite well.

In BK there was only Grunty. Also only one overarching story.

In a many story game I could see many bosses that fit the worlds that we read.
Hope I made sense.

Bambu

Postby Bambu » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:36 pm

I liked Banjo-Tooie's way of doing bosses more than any other game I can think of playing. The fights could've used more variety than "EGGS!" I guess, but I ADORE having a unique boss that ties into a world's theme at the end of each "level". Also, I like being able to fight them again whenever I want, but that's a different topic I suppose...
(So yeah, I'm just a random lurker who wanted to voice his support for "formal bosses", I'll show more support when the Kickstarter happens. I am very excited for this game, best wishes!)

ryanator008

Postby ryanator008 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:48 pm

Having a boss for every level makes sense for pacing reasons, but I would hate for this to lead to quantity over quality.

John

Postby John » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:23 am

Bambu wrote:I liked Banjo-Tooie's way of doing bosses more than any other game I can think of playing. The fights could've used more variety than "EGGS!" I guess, but I ADORE having a unique boss that ties into a world's theme at the end of each "level". Also, I like being able to fight them again whenever I want, but that's a different topic I suppose...
(So yeah, I'm just a random lurker who wanted to voice his support for "formal bosses", I'll show more support when the Kickstarter happens. I am very excited for this game, best wishes!)

Thanks for coming out and giving input!
Rarewareusedtobegood

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”