A story about why BK is my favorite game

Reminisce over some of the past wares you remember fondly.
GoldRetro

A story about why BK is my favorite game

Postby GoldRetro » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:37 am

Let me tell you a story, a story about fear, about courage and also about growing up.

When I was a little girl,around 8 years old, I tried playing Banjo-Kazooie and I felt in love with the funny characters and story. I also felt in love with the original themed worlds I couldn't wait to discover one after the other. Back then, my favorite worlds were Treasure Trove Cove, Freezeezy's Peak, Mad Monster Mansion and Click Clock Wood, they felt so magical in my young mind. However, there was a world I disliked a lot, and that world was Clanker's Cavern. Why ? Because my little 8 years old mind couldn't find the courage to dive down, so deep... The task seemed simple, I saw my big brother do it himself, go through the big key three times and Clanker will rise. I really wanted to help that poor Clanker, help him breath fresh air again, I really wanted to get the special move you could learn inside of him, and of course he was an important part of this level and I just knew how important it was to make him rise to the surface. I asked my big brother to do this task for me, but he kept refusing, no matter how many times I asked him. He kept saying I had to beat my fear and do it myself. I knew he was right, or maybe he was afraid himself to try it again and fail this time.

It was just a video game, a collectathon, but in my little yound mind, it wasn't just a video game, it wasn't just a collectathon, the game felt real, the characters felt real, yet, even with all my desire to help Clanker's situation, even with all my desire to get that very important special move, with all my desire to make Clanker rise so I could collect important jiggies and other items, I was too scared to dive down in the deep water area, where a scary music would start playing, reminding me everytime I tried I could easily drown down there. I was so scared of drowning, my fear stopped me from finishing the third world, and I moved to the next worlds and managed to get to Click Clock Wood without collecting everything in Clanker's Cavern, without the Wonderwing ability. Unable to beat the quiz, I stopped playing the game.

The whole Clanker challenge still stayed in my mind, to the point of having nightmares, a nightmare I still remember clearly today even if 20 years passed, a nightmare where I was up high, on a high metallic platform, an important platform where I would be able to reach what I wanted, that golden goal, in this dark place with no sunlight, a place filled with deep water under my platform. A familiar giant and scary fish would come out of the deep water, it's giant teeth ready to get me. It's message was clear : You are not worthy of that golden goal... you are not worthy of that jiggy... you did not help me.

Years passed. My body grew, but something special happened the day I found the courage to replay Clanker's Cavern again and after finishing the game fully...I felt I grew up also inside. I felt I grew after facing my old fears.

I still love Treasure Trove Cove, Freezeezy's Peak, Mad Monster Mansion and Click Clock Wood, but if someone ever ask me what is my favorite world now, I'll say Clanker's Cavern.

Scrubber

Re: A story about why BK is my favorite game

Postby Scrubber » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:52 pm

Poor clanker

Gorjo

Postby Gorjo » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:59 pm

Nice story! Glad to know you beat the challange eventually.
I wonder, though, didn't the sharks from Treasure Trove Cove and Rusty Bucket Bay scare you more than good ol' Clanker? Because they sure terrified me.

O O O O H H
B A N A N A

ShanPen

Postby ShanPen » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:00 am

Glad you were able to raise Clanker eventually!
I remember raising Clanker for the first time. My sister and I had explored everywhere we could in that level without raising Clanker, and we'd attempted to swim down far but thought we'd drown, so we never went any further. But then one morning while my sister was still asleep, I started playing the level, and I managed to swim all the way to the bottom and swim through the key. The cutscene of Clanker raising played and I was so happy to have finally done it, but then on the way back to the surface I ran out of air and the characters drowned. But since the cut scene had shown Clanker had raised, I thought he would still be raised even though I had drowned. So I went rushing to my sister's room and woke her up, telling her that I'd finally raised the shark, and we were so excited and both went rushing back to the Nintendo - only for me to see that I had to do it all over again and get to the surface without drowning, for Clanker to stay there. :( So I had to do it all over again, but I guess that was sort of good because then my sister got to see it happen too, and Banjo-Kazooie was her game.

Then a few years later, the video rental store used to print a monthly magazine about new movies, and they'd have a couple of pages for video game info too, and one month they printed all the cheat codes for Banjo-Kazooie (that was the only way I could get cheat codes back then as not many people had internet). And once I learned GIVETHEBEARLOTSOFAIR, I always used that for raising Clanker.

Gorjo wrote:Nice story! Glad to know you beat the challange eventually.
I wonder, though, didn't the sharks from Treasure Trove Cove and Rusty Bucket Bay scare you more than good ol' Clanker? Because they sure terrified me.

Snacker terrified my sister so much that she still has a shark phobia as an adult! The first time we played the game, she was about 9 years old, and I remember watching her dive into the water under the starting area of Treasure Trove Cove to grab the blue Jinjo, and then SCREAMING in terror when Snacker appeared, and I think she started crying, too. It was pretty funny :lol:

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:10 am

Gloop is your friend.

ShanPen

Postby ShanPen » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:45 am

Scrubber wrote:Gloop is your friend.

Yeah we know that now, but back when we were kids and not very good at the swimming controls, we used to lose more air in the time it took us to try and swim into Gloop's bubbles (I had trouble until I learned how to sharp turn with the R button).

Gorjo

Postby Gorjo » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:23 pm

Seriously, is the first Donkey Kong Country the only platformer where the water levels are relaxing instead heart-skipping stressful? It's not just the music, one feels in control the whole time and doesn't need to replendish air at any point. I even have a shark from those levels as avatar.

O O O O H H
B A N A N A

Yoshi

Postby Yoshi » Fri May 03, 2019 6:52 pm

Gorjo wrote:Seriously, is the first Donkey Kong Country the only platformer where the water levels are relaxing instead heart-skipping stressful? It's not just the music, one feels in control the whole time and doesn't need to replendish air at any point. I even have a shark from those levels as avatar.

I'd say Yoshi's Story has even more relaxed water levels.

ShanPen

Postby ShanPen » Sat May 04, 2019 11:47 am

Yoshi wrote:
Gorjo wrote:Seriously, is the first Donkey Kong Country the only platformer where the water levels are relaxing instead heart-skipping stressful? It's not just the music, one feels in control the whole time and doesn't need to replendish air at any point. I even have a shark from those levels as avatar.

Except for that very unrelaxing water lever (well, part water level) called “Jungle Puddle” where the giant fish try to eat you! :shock:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ljI8WNhSsNE

Yoshi

Postby Yoshi » Sat May 04, 2019 10:01 pm

ShanPen wrote:
Yoshi wrote:

Except for that very unrelaxing water lever (well, part water level) called “Jungle Puddle” where the giant fish try to eat you! :shock:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ljI8WNhSsNE

Yes, you are right indeed, that is one of the more stressful levels of the game :).

EekumBokum202

Postby EekumBokum202 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:04 am

To be honest, I could never find the courage to dive down and save Clanker either, at least at first. Also, kid me never figured out that Bubblegloop Swamp's portrait puzzle can be reached by diving into the water at the entrance of Clanker's Cavern and going through a passageway there... Similarly, I could never figure out how to reach Rusty Bucket Bay. There was a whole section of my childhood where I not only missed large portions of the game but never actually completed it.
ATTENTION PLAYTONIC!
For development "Twoka-Laylee", please watch these:
Banjo-Kazooie Review & Analysis
Banjo-Tooie Review & Analysis

For everyone else, talk about these videos here!

Return to “Past Glories”