I made a video sharing my thoughts on Rare and Microsoft

Reminisce over some of the past wares you remember fondly.
User avatar
GrayMagicΓ
Posts: 1072
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:16 pm

Re: I made a video sharing my thoughts on Rare and Microsoft

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Fri May 01, 2015 4:16 am

DudeSean wrote:
karashata wrote:
DudeSean wrote:We wouldn't have the awful Retro Studios DKC games.

I rather liked Donkey Kong Country Returns and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, but you're entitled to your opinion.

lol. Thank you for being kind about my negative opinion. I have sort of a love/hate relationship with all of Retro's games. Their games are always well made, but I find them lacking in personality and have sort of a robotic feel to them. They also tend to make decisions that I would never make if I were to make Metroid or DKC. I would never make Metroid into a first person shooter, as it removes Samus' agility. And I would never make Cranky Kong happy.
Image

Sorry for being off-topic, I just thought I'd expand on what I meant in the previous post just for some clarification.

How is removing her agility a bad thing? Other than the gimmicky speed booster in Super Metroid, the entire series relies on slowly navigating foreign, alien landscapes, and part of what makes metroids horrifying in the games they're well-portrayed in (the original Metroid, MP1, MP3) is how they move so much faster than you can. I agree about the Cranky Kong sentiment though, what makes Returns great for me is the atmosphere, mechanics, and level design, not the characters.
DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

User avatar
Nitwit
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri May 01, 2015 5:21 am

Re: I made a video sharing my thoughts on Rare and Microsoft

Postby Nitwit » Fri May 01, 2015 5:43 am

DudeSean wrote:
karashata wrote:
DudeSean wrote:We wouldn't have the awful Retro Studios DKC games.

I rather liked Donkey Kong Country Returns and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, but you're entitled to your opinion.

lol. Thank you for being kind about my negative opinion. I have sort of a love/hate relationship with all of Retro's games. Their games are always well made, but I find them lacking in personality and have sort of a robotic feel to them. They also tend to make decisions that I would never make if I were to make Metroid or DKC. I would never make Metroid into a first person shooter, as it removes Samus' agility. And I would never make Cranky Kong happy.
Image

Sorry for being off-topic, I just thought I'd expand on what I meant in the previous post just for some clarification.

I take it you never play Metroid Other M? That's not a FPS. XD I don't like First Person Shooters cause of the frustrations and little kids shouting at her grandmas names. lol

User avatar
GrayMagicΓ
Posts: 1072
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:16 pm

Re: I made a video sharing my thoughts on Rare and Microsoft

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Fri May 01, 2015 5:55 am

Nitwit wrote:
DudeSean wrote:
karashata wrote:I rather liked Donkey Kong Country Returns and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, but you're entitled to your opinion.

lol. Thank you for being kind about my negative opinion. I have sort of a love/hate relationship with all of Retro's games. Their games are always well made, but I find them lacking in personality and have sort of a robotic feel to them. They also tend to make decisions that I would never make if I were to make Metroid or DKC. I would never make Metroid into a first person shooter, as it removes Samus' agility. And I would never make Cranky Kong happy.
Image

Sorry for being off-topic, I just thought I'd expand on what I meant in the previous post just for some clarification.

I take it you never play Metroid Other M? That's not a FPS. XD I don't like First Person Shooters cause of the frustrations and little kids shouting at her grandmas names. lol

I have not, at the suggestion of almost everyone I know. I can also garuntee you as someone that beat the two Prime games I don't disown and 90% of the one that made itself unbeatable before the last 10% that there's no "little kids" in them.
DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

User avatar
DudeSean
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:31 am
Location: United States of America

Re: I made a video sharing my thoughts on Rare and Microsoft

Postby DudeSean » Sat May 02, 2015 12:15 am

GrayMagicΓ wrote:How is removing her agility a bad thing? Other than the gimmicky speed booster in Super Metroid, the entire series relies on slowly navigating foreign, alien landscapes, and part of what makes metroids horrifying in the games they're well-portrayed in (the original Metroid, MP1, MP3) is how they move so much faster than you can. I agree about the Cranky Kong sentiment though, what makes Returns great for me is the atmosphere, mechanics, and level design, not the characters.

Because her agility is a big part of the reason why I liked Super Metroid so much. The fact that she could jump so high, run so fast, scale the walls. I don't know how you play Super Metroid, but I am constantly running, jumping and climbing walls. Metroid Prime gets rid of all of that and all of a sudden Samus moves like a tank. Samus (in Super Metroid) is just about as agile as Mario, so it would be like getting a Super Mario game where all Mario can do is walk around and not jump very high.
Image

I like Metroid Prime 1. It's definitely the best of the three Prime games. I didn't like that it completely changed the gameplay in a Metroid game, but it was still very well done. 2 was okay. I've never completed 3. I've tried a few times, but the constant "Go here and do this. Go here and do this." really annoys me. I know you're basically doing that in Prime 1, but there's an option to turn the hints off, meaning the game never tells you where to go, whereas in Prime 3 it's mandatory and part of the story that you're told where to go and what to do.

I don't really like the level design in the new DKC games. I feel like I die way too much, like it relies too much on knowing what's going to happen before it happens. I've had people argue that the SNES DKC games were the same way, and in certain levels in those games I do still die a lot, but it felt more fair when I died in the old games. Like, I get really mad when I die in the new DKC games. I end up yelling at my TV, "How was I supposed to know that was going to happen?!" In the old DKC games, the levels where I would die a lot were the barrel levels or the mine cart / roller coaster levels. With the barrels, it's like, "Okay, I got my timing wrong." Or with the mine cart levels, it's like, "Okay, I pushed the jump button too late."

Nitwit wrote:I take it you never play Metroid Other M? That's not a FPS. XD I don't like First Person Shooters cause of the frustrations and little kids shouting at her grandmas names. lol

I have Other M. I've played it and beat it. But I was talking about Retro and Other M wasn't made by Retro. I like the gameplay in Other M, but it does obviously have its flaws. I'm not one of those people who hates the game because of the story, but that is a game that I feel they made some bad choices, like using the Wii Remote only and making it to where you can't move while in first person view. You could even move while in first person in Skyward Sword, so I don't see why you couldn't in Other M.

DoctorCloud
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:50 pm
Location: USA

Re: I made a video sharing my thoughts on Rare and Microsoft

Postby DoctorCloud » Tue May 05, 2015 5:11 pm

i'm glad to see my video has sparked such great conversation regarding Rare :D
Image

NPChilla
Posts: 481
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:58 pm

Re: I made a video sharing my thoughts on Rare and Microsoft

Postby NPChilla » Wed May 06, 2015 3:44 pm

DoctorCloud wrote:i'm glad to see my video has sparked such great conversation regarding Rare :D


If you've not read this article yet, I suspect you'll enjoy it:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012- ... illed-rare


Return to “Past Glories”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 1 guest