Favorite worlds in BK, BT, DK64?

Reminisce over some of the past wares you remember fondly.
Crownless

Favorite worlds in BK, BT, DK64?

Postby Crownless » Sun May 03, 2015 3:48 pm

Dunno how far into the thought process Playtonic is for their level ideas, but maybe we can give some hints from past experiences that they've created in terms of what we hope to see more of. Obviously they can't recreate these for legal reasons, but maybe they can provide something similar somewhere. ;)

Some of my favorite levels were Witchyworld (BT), Mad Monster Mansion (BK), Glitter Gulch Mine (BT), Jolly Roger's Lagoon (BT), Click-Clock Wood (BK)

I can't say I was as much of a fan of the levels in DK64, though they were certainly all right!

What about you all? I'll list the level names in spoiler tags in case any of you forgot a favorite!

Banjo-Kazooie worlds:

Mumbo's Mountain, Treasure Trove Cove, Clanker's Cavern, Bubblegloop Swamp, Freezeezy Peak, Gobi's Valley, Rusty Bucket Bay, Click-Clock Woods

Banjo-Tooie Worlds:

Mayahem Temple, Glitter Gulch Mine, Witchyworld, Jolly Roger's Lagoon, Terrydactyland, Grunty Industries, Hailfire Peaks, Cloud Cuckooland, Cauldron Keep

Donkey Kong 64 Worlds:

Jungle Japes, Angry Aztec, Frantic Factory, Gloomy Galleon, Fungi Forest, Crystal Caves, Creepy Castle

I'm sure we'd all love some new and unique worlds as well, but I'm certain we can get that with some nostalgia on the side. :P
Last edited by Crownless on Sun May 03, 2015 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John

Re: Favorite worlds in BK, BT, DK64?

Postby John » Sun May 03, 2015 3:55 pm

Click Clock Wood wins for Banjo Kazooie. I like all the seasons, but I guess I'd pick Winter as my favorite.
You also forgot to put Freezeezy Peak in your list!

For Banjo Tooie I loved Jolly Rodger's Lagoon. A completely underwater level was a huge deal to me, especially since I didn't have to worry about coming up for air. I really hope Yooka-Laylee can have a similar type level, maybe a reef, with more fish and coral underwater. Jolly Rodger's Lagoon was awesome, but it was a little bare.

Fungi Forest was my favorite DK64 level as well. I think I liked it so much since there were so many other dark levels (factory, cave, and castle).
Rarewareusedtobegood

travisschultz95

Postby travisschultz95 » Sun May 03, 2015 3:58 pm

Might be missing a few under BK ;)

Freezey Peak, Mad Monster Mansion, Click Clock Wood, WitcheyWorld, Terrydactyland, Hailfire Peaks, Cloud Cuckooland, Jungle Japes,Creepy Castle (I like spooks).

Crownless

Postby Crownless » Sun May 03, 2015 4:18 pm

Thanks for pointing out the missing level! I'm surprised I forgot that one of all levels, haha!

But yes! I love the spooky levels as well. A horror-themed level would be excellent for Yooka-Laylee. And water! Gosh, imagine how good they could make an underwater level look with the new style! :D

freakdave

Postby freakdave » Sun May 03, 2015 5:48 pm

BK: Mad Monster Mansion, Click Clock Wood, Treasure Trove Cove 8-)

weebbby

Postby weebbby » Sun May 03, 2015 6:53 pm

Click Clock Wood
Terrydactyland
Fungi Forest

Captain_Glen

Postby Captain_Glen » Mon May 04, 2015 6:44 am

#1 Click Clock Wood (because of the seasons)
#2 Fungi Forrest (because of the day night cycle)
#3 Jolly Roger Bay (because of the pirate theme)
#4 Frosty Peaks (because of the Xmas Snow Theme)
#5 Clankers Cavern (because of the originality)

Oh the whole I loved BK but wasn't very impressed with DK64. BT was okay but it suffered from a lot of the problems that I felt spoiled the immersion of the game in both BT and DK64. Specifically this was having butt-stomping switches and character pads littered throughout the level with no plausible explanation as to why.

BK had you completing "quests" for characters. This immersed you in the game and made you care about the characters and "quests". DK64 and to a lesser degree BT just had to methodically and mechanically collecting items and butt-stomping switches. I thought it was dull, boring and didn't enjoy it as much. However DK64 had awesome boss fights.

Blue

Postby Blue » Mon May 04, 2015 6:59 am

-Mad Monster Mansion
-Click Clock Wood
-Mumbo's Mountain
-Witchy World
-Cloud Cuckooland
-Jolly Roger's Lagoon

And, uh, I've never played DK64.
"Hands off my bread."

Waverunner

Postby Waverunner » Mon May 04, 2015 1:38 pm

I know those levels aren't as popular, but there is something about Industrial Levels I enjoy. Rusty Bucket is my favorite out of all three games, and I enjoy confusing twists and turns Grunty Industries and Frantic Factory give me. I feel like the difficulty and tediousness of completing them pays off more in the end. Plus Weldar and Mad Jack are stand out bosses in their respective games for me.

travisschultz95

Postby travisschultz95 » Mon May 04, 2015 3:38 pm

I wanted to put Frantic Factory but trying to beat Mad Jack as a kid almost drove me mad.

Archvile78

Postby Archvile78 » Mon May 04, 2015 4:44 pm

Hard for me to pick a favorite...
BK:
- Click-Clock wood for the sheer concept of the level and its music.

BT:
Witchyworld/Terrydactyland

These two are my absolute favorites in BT despite being polar opposite of one another. Witchyworld being much smaller while terrydactyland was really large and open

DK64:
Frantic Factory, pretty good stage overall. Special mention for Creepy Castle.

notdog1996

Postby notdog1996 » Mon May 18, 2015 3:30 pm

For BK, the ones I really liked were Bubblegloop Swamp (no one seems to mention this one but I think it was my favorite), Freezeezy Peak and Mad Monster Mansion. The other levels were cool also, but those three really stood out to me.

For BT, I loved WitchyWorld, Terrydactyland and, most of all, Hailfire Peaks. There's just something about this whole fire and ice dynamic that I just loved so much!

DK64's levels were not really interesting to me. The only one I really liked was Fungi Forest, but it was planned to be in BK anyway.

What I love the most in those levels are the themes, so I don't know how they could make that again if they don't plan to reuse the themes... On a side-note, Snow Joke seems like a level I'd really enjoy.

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Mon May 18, 2015 3:36 pm

On a side-note, Snow Joke seems like a level I'd really enjoy.

Just had to point out the fact that will probably will not be the name of the icy world.

"It's snow joke"
or rather - "It is no joke, this world will be cool" ;)
Stop picking your nose Image

RandomYoshi

Postby RandomYoshi » Mon May 18, 2015 3:37 pm

Banjo-Kazooie:

• Click Clock Wood
  • Mad Monster Mansion
  • Freezeezy Peak

Banjo-Tooie:

• Cloud Cuckooland
  • Grunty Industries
  • Witchyworld

notdog1996, Archvile78, weebbby, travisschultz95 wrote:Terrydactyland

Can you explain why you liked Terrydactyland? It's easily the worst level in the game. It's empty and there is too much wandering around that doesn't accomplish anything. I dread this world every time I replay Banjo-Tooie, and I wish it was designed better.

Donkey Kong 64:

• Frantic Factory
  • Fungus Forest
  • Jungle Japes
Imagine there's this super amazing signature here.

I like doing it this way because then this signature could be many different things depending on the observer. It's very quaint, yet succint.

lebowski

Postby lebowski » Thu May 21, 2015 12:55 pm

Kazooie: Mad Monster Mansion, Rusty Bucket Bay, Click-Clock Woods
Tooie: so far, Glitter Gulch Mine & Witchyworld
Didn't play DK yet but I intend to once I finish Banjo-Tooie.

jshbee

Postby jshbee » Thu May 21, 2015 7:10 pm

For BK it's probably in order: Gobi's Valley > Freezeezy > Mad Monster Mansion
For BT it's probably in order: Witchyworld > Cloud Cuckooland > Hailfire Peaks
For DK64, it's probably in order: Never played.

ericcole_hn

Postby ericcole_hn » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:26 pm

Banjo Kazooie: Click Clock Wood (Season), Mad Monster Mansion (Original), Mumbos Mountain (1rs one)
Banjo Tooie: Witchyworld (Fun), Terrydactyland (Fun), Mayahem Temple (First one)
DK64: Fungi Forest (Nice Level), Angry Aztec (Classic),Jungle Japes (My first level) :)

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:55 am

Kazooie:
Mumbos Mountain
Treasure Trove Cove
Bubblegloop Swamp
Freezeezy Peak
Gobis Valley
Click Clock Wood
Gruntys Furnace Fun

Tooie:
Mayhem Temple
Terrydactyl Land
Hailfire Peaks
Cloud Cuckoo Land

Dk64:
DK Isles
Jungle Japes
Final Boss
I'm honestly not a fan of the world's in DK64 at all. Too big too confusing and very frustrating.

Looka-Yaylee

Postby Looka-Yaylee » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:51 pm

Banjo-Kazooie:
1) Click-Clock Wood: Easy number one for me, and honestly one of my favorite levels/worlds in any game. Everything, in my opinion, is topnotch; from the level-design, to the the music and the forest aesthetic.
2) Bubblegloop Swamp: I like the swamp design a lot, and I think the level has a nice variety of challenges and flows well. Plus it has my favorite Mumbo transformation!
3)Treasure Trove Cove: Fun level, that seemed big but isn't too daunting. Great music as well.

Banjo-Tooie:
1)Glitter Gulch Mine: While it is a confusing place to navigate, I actually really like GGM. The music track is my favorite from the sequel and it's got some cool characters and fun challenges.
2) Witchyworld: I love the run-down amusement park look and the variety of areas that the level has. The music really sells the theme of the worlds as well.
3) Terrydactyland: I know a lot of people don't really like this level, and there's good reason too. The challenges are a little too spread out and there's too much backtracking I think. That being said, I really enjoy the prehistoric theme and I love the T-Rex transformation.

I sadly never played DK64 but Ill give you my top there based on how cool the name is :lol:
1)Gloomy Galleon
2)Angry Aztec
3)Crystal Caves

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:25 pm

Gloomy galleon is THE WORST.

Return to “Past Glories”