Star Fox Adventures was awesome.

Reminisce over some of the past wares you remember fondly.
Jawson

Star Fox Adventures was awesome.

Postby Jawson » Mon May 11, 2015 6:21 am

https://youtu.be/0N9ygI9rilQ

I know a lot of people put it down, but I really loved it.

I really liked how expressive all the characters were plus all the locations were really cool. :mrgreen:

Scrubber

Re: Star Fox Adventures was awesome.

Postby Scrubber » Mon May 11, 2015 7:29 am

I don't remember much about it to be honest, I did have it on GameCube but I don't have it anymore for some reason. Might have to pick it up on eBay.

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Mon May 11, 2015 7:30 am

I didn't like how it tried to sell itself as an open-ended Zelda clone at first but became extremely linear after the first hour, and the cheats were poor sidequest rewards, but the dungeon design was amazing, and the graphics were very impressive at the time.
DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

Nanirourou

Postby Nanirourou » Mon May 11, 2015 2:51 pm

It was fun, and I enjoyed it. It just wasn't Star Fox. It was the first Star Fox I played, and was really looking forward to some space fights. I knew this land-based adventure wasn't what a Star Fox game was supposed to be.

Kind of like Nuts & Bolts. It in itself wasn't a bad game, just wasn't what the established fanbase of the series expecting.

Did you know that the toothpaste company Colgate released a line of ready-to-eat freezer meals??
http://www.smashinglists.com/top-10-failed-products/2/
In the early 80's freezer meals were big again, and Colgate wanted to expand their market. The idea was people would eat a freezer meal, then go brush their teeth. Needless to say, my own first impression of a Colgate Freezer Meal sounds disgusting and totally unappealing, even if the meals were the best ever made. It wasn't their brand that people came to know and love. Star Fox Adventures and Nuts & Bolts are Colgate Freezer Meals.

If SFA stayed as the original concept Dinosaur Planet, it could have shined on its own.
you kuh lady

Zita

Postby Zita » Mon May 11, 2015 4:18 pm

Starfox Adventures still IS awesome. :D
Pretty much my most favorite game of all time. Everything about it was just perfect and it got me into the whole Starfox franchinse. When I was a kid I was a very big fan of dinosaurs (well, still am :P) and have always been one of anthropomorphic animals, which made me want this game so much.

But I can understand people claiming that it's not a real Starfox game, because they're right. I would've enjoyed this game a whole lot more if it just stayed the Dinosaur Planet game that it was supposed to be, N64 or Gamecube, I don't mind. The Gameplay scenes and the trailers I saw of it made me a lot more curious about what the game could have become if they didn't slap Starfox on it.
I'm especially mad about Krystal, because I do believe she had a nice backround story in Dinosaur Planet that made sense, in SFA she's just kind of there to give Fox a reason to collect Krazoa Spirits. :/
Website | deviantArt | FurAffinity | tumblr

Nanirourou

Postby Nanirourou » Mon May 11, 2015 8:24 pm

Zita wrote:I'm especially mad about Krystal, because I do believe she had a nice backround story in Dinosaur Planet that made sense, in SFA she's just kind of there to give Fox a reason to collect Krazoa Spirits. :/

YEAH. >:( After playing that first scene with her, I was looking forward to maybe, once she was freed, you could switch between her and Fox at various points in the story. She seemed a cool enough character. Becoming the "damsel in distress" wasn't fitting for her. It also made Fox seem like a mega perv too, like the only reason for collecting those Krazoa Spirits was just so he could get to talk to that hot lady he knows NOTHING about.

I dunno, I'm talking as a female here. For you dudes out there, would that be incentive enough for you to brave a dinosaur planet? To risk your life to potentially date a hot girl you've never talked to??
you kuh lady

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Mon May 11, 2015 9:06 pm

Nanirourou wrote:
Zita wrote:I'm especially mad about Krystal, because I do believe she had a nice backround story in Dinosaur Planet that made sense, in SFA she's just kind of there to give Fox a reason to collect Krazoa Spirits. :/

YEAH. >:( After playing that first scene with her, I was looking forward to maybe, once she was freed, you could switch between her and Fox at various points in the story. She seemed a cool enough character. Becoming the "damsel in distress" wasn't fitting for her. It also made Fox seem like a mega perv too, like the only reason for collecting those Krazoa Spirits was just so he could get to talk to that hot lady he knows NOTHING about.

I dunno, I'm talking as a female here. For you dudes out there, would that be incentive enough for you to brave a dinosaur planet? To risk your life to potentially date a hot girl you've never talked to??

Getting ex-Rare developers to get back together and make a Banjo spiritual successor.
DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

Bonkard

Postby Bonkard » Mon May 11, 2015 11:06 pm

I completely agree. I played the hell out of that game as a kid, and I remember every nook and cranny of the adventure. Admittedly, it would have worked just fine had it remained 'Dinosaur Planet' and not slapped on the Star Fox name, but I don't think any less of it for doing so. I think it's a blast, and I'm always happy to revisit it.

Jawson

Postby Jawson » Tue May 12, 2015 12:23 am

It's the classic "Help Sleeping Beauty" and "Do something extremely dangerous and you'll get to marry the Princess" story that's been around forever because of how true it is. :lol:

It also made Fox seem like a mega perv too

:roll:

Nanirourou

Postby Nanirourou » Tue May 12, 2015 3:00 am

Jawson wrote: :roll:

omg

subtle
you kuh lady

DudeSean

Postby DudeSean » Thu May 14, 2015 12:10 am

I've known Starfox since the SNES version. I like Zelda games more than I like the Starfox games, but I still very much enjoy Starfox 64. So, yes, I understand how it's not a good "Starfox" game, but for me it was great. It wasn't too in depth that I get bored of being in menus and junk and it wasn't too long so I don't have to dedicate several months to finishing it.
I really liked the combo system. How you could hold the control stick in different directions to make Fox do different attacks. It keeps combat from getting too boring. I mean, yeah, you're just hitting them with a stick over and over, but there is some actual strategy and you might not want to use a certain attack in certain situations.
The arwing controls were perfect for the gamecube controller. I never understood why they had to go and screw that all up in Starfox Assault. Kinda makes me want to see what a true Starfox game from Rare could have been like. That is, a game that was meant to be a Starfox game from the beginning. Probably would have been better than Assault. Sorry. Assault's not that bad, but it was already done better on the same system.

tl;dr Yes. Starfox Adventures is awesome.

wwwarea

Postby wwwarea » Thu May 14, 2015 5:42 am

I actually liked the game. Some parts had a mix of the classic (Not very much though) and I thought it was great as an adventure game.

There was just one problem:
At the end area of the game, you were not allowed to go back to any previous areas. :(

Zita

Postby Zita » Thu May 14, 2015 1:05 pm

wwwarea wrote:There was just one problem:
At the end area of the game, you were not allowed to go back to any previous areas. :(

I have a seperate save file just before that moment so I could go back and chill in some of the other places. ;)
Website | deviantArt | FurAffinity | tumblr

wwwarea

Postby wwwarea » Fri May 15, 2015 3:40 am

Zita wrote:
wwwarea wrote:There was just one problem:

I have a seperate save file just before that moment so I could go back and chill in some of the other places. ;)

Yeah, that's a way to avoid that problem. :) Though I still think they should of let you go back from there, especially for those who only had one file and didn't know. xD

UnholySanctuary

Postby UnholySanctuary » Fri May 15, 2015 5:15 am

I can see why some people didn't like the game. I personally enjoyed it, though. It felt very zelda'ish, but not an exact clone. I still have my Gamecube with the game to this day :)

Anna

Postby Anna » Fri May 15, 2015 10:08 pm

As someone who loves Zelda games and doesn't really like rail shooters, I loved it. One of my favorite GameCube games, and one of the few games I actually made it to the end of. (I have a baaaaaad problem with getting a new game causing me to forget to go back and finish old ones. My backlog is so huge. D:)

Nanirourou wrote:

Gotta say I agree with this for sure. I was really annoyed that you didn't get to play as her any more after that first section. Maybe it's because I'm also talking as a female, heh.

I wish it were possible for the original Dinosaur Planet IP to be revived and used, as I think that would've been more interesting than the StarFox version (no offense, StarFox fans :) ). Alas, probably too much IP ownership red tape, even if there were developer interest.
No, not all Xbox owners are dudebros who love grey-and-brown PvP FPSes. Please feel free to quit stereotyping now.

FarronFox

Postby FarronFox » Sat May 16, 2015 1:32 am

I liked it too, but I was interested in it when it was just known as dinosaur planet with none of the starfox ip in it.

Would have been interesting to see how the game went if there was no starfox placed into it and maybe we'd have have been able to see more games from rare based around dinosaur planet, instead of having Krystal becoming a starfox character.

Alucard

Postby Alucard » Sun May 24, 2015 3:19 am

I really loved StarFox Adventures because it felt like Zelda OOT, also those travel sections where you need to fly the arwing to another locations was a nice addition and reference to the classic StarFox games on the SNES and N64 which felt much smother and better in the case of gameplay than StarFox Assault. I am still interested for the cancelled Dinosaur Planet game, still wondering how it would be.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Sun May 24, 2015 12:56 pm

Alucard wrote:I am still interested for the cancelled Dinosaur Planet game, still wondering how it would be.

I didn't play Star Fox Adventures, but would've Dinosaur Planet been any different? Aside having no Star Fox characters & airwing sections?

NPChilla

Postby NPChilla » Sun May 24, 2015 2:08 pm

Rueckkoppler wrote:
Alucard wrote:I am still interested for the cancelled Dinosaur Planet game, still wondering how it would be.

I didn't play Star Fox Adventures, but would've Dinosaur Planet been any different? Aside having no Star Fox characters & airwing sections?

From what I've gathered, the biggest difference would have been that the originally intended Dinosaur Planet on N64 would have sold about four copies. :lol:

All joking aside, Dinosaur Planet was supposed to be a game with two protagonists: the male Sabre and the female Krystal. (Notably, while Krystal went on to appear in subsequent Star Fox games and developed into a character of her own, nothing ever came of this "Sabre" character who was totally unrelated to similarly named chaps from Killer Instinct and Sabre Wulf.)

It would have had many of the same characters: General Scales, Prince Tricky and so forth.

Interestingly, now that Nintendo had Rare use the Star Fox IP on the game, ALL aspects of it - the characters originally meant for Dinosaur Planet, the names of elements and plots, etc - are now owned by Nintendo. So Rare can never use them. Cunning business trick! Makes a Dinosaur Planet from Rare impossible (or at least one based on this original story).

More information here:

http://rareminion.com/dp.html
Last edited by NPChilla on Sun May 24, 2015 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Past Glories”