Twelve Tails - Conker 64

Reminisce over some of the past wares you remember fondly.
Piet

Twelve Tails - Conker 64

Postby Piet » Tue May 12, 2015 8:49 am

After I beat Conker's Bad Fur Day's remake 'Conker: Live & Reloaded' on Xbox(360), I became curious about other Conker games and then I found some really cool info about what Conker on the N64 was suppossed to be:
Twelve Tails - Conker 64.

I watched some gameplay clips, listened to some music and searched for more info.
Sadly the game was never released or leaked and the only thing left of it, is an empty N64 test cartridge.

Although I really like Conker: Live and Reloaded (8/10), Twelve Tails - Conker 64 looks and sounds even better to me.
I immediately got the '3D-platformer-collectathon' (my favorite videogame genre) feeling like BK/BT gives/gave me!
Collecting 100 stolen presents (like the 100 jiggies in BK) and other objects, different colorful worlds, happy music and atmosphere, cool enemies, etc.
All ingredients for an awesome 3D platformer and it just feels like a Banjo-ish game (which is awesome).

I really want Rare to resurrect, recreate and release Twelve Tails - Conker 64 (maybe with another name).

I think they should've kept it the way it was before Bad Fur Day.
What do you guys think?

More info: http://www.nintendoplayer.com/unrelease ... conker-64/

P.s.: I send a message to Rare on Twitter, but they didn't react.

Scrubber

Re: Twelve Tails - Conker 64

Postby Scrubber » Tue May 12, 2015 8:59 am

Unless your praising kinect sports they rarely reply.

I do think Conker will have been more successful and reached a much bigger audience if it was the family friendly platformer it was first intended to be but now Conkers been established as a foul mouthed drinking badboy it would have a negative backlash if they changed him.

Piet

Postby Piet » Tue May 12, 2015 9:31 am

Scrubber wrote:Unless your praising kinect sports they rarely reply.
I do think Conker will have been more successful and reached a much bigger audience if it was the family friendly platformer it was first intended to be but now Conkers been established as a foul mouthed drinking badboy it would have a negative backlash if they changed him.

I think that if they at least make an awesome child-friendly 3D Conker platformer, that it won't have a negative backlash. I think it can even have the success of a Banjo game (not Banjo-Pilot obviously).

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Tue May 12, 2015 11:39 am

Piet wrote:

I think that if they at least make an awesome child-friendly 3D Conker platformer, that it won't have a negative backlash. I think it can even have the success of a Banjo game (not Banjo-Pilot obviously).

It will though, people will be moaning that there's no booze no swearing no poo and everybody would say that it "is not conker"

Piet

Postby Piet » Tue May 12, 2015 12:14 pm

Scrubber wrote:It will though, people will be moaning that there's no booze no swearing no poo and everybody would say that it "is not conker"

I get your point indeed.
But I would LOVE to see a Conker game like that. :D

GildasMagnus

Postby GildasMagnus » Tue May 12, 2015 12:17 pm

As a mild Conker fan of both family-friendly and adult versions, I have to agree with Scrubber. It would be difficult to return to the light-hearted beginnings, especially as CBFD was a very well known break from Nintendo tradition, and became a cult classic purely because of how dirty it was. Regardless of my preference, his character is sort of set in stone, now.
Came to save my sister, stayed for the quiz show.

Pgcrooner

Postby Pgcrooner » Tue May 12, 2015 1:45 pm

I tried recreating the windmill level of twelve tales on project spark. I even edited conker's appearance to look like his conker64 version.

It's somewhere on the community uploads. :P

Piet

Postby Piet » Tue May 12, 2015 1:55 pm

GildasMagnus wrote:As a mild Conker fan of both family-friendly and adult versions, I have to agree with Scrubber. It would be difficult to return to the light-hearted beginnings, especially as CBFD was a very well known break from Nintendo tradition, and became a cult classic purely because of how dirty it was. Regardless of my preference, his character is sort of set in stone, now.

Yes, I get that point.
Should've never happened in first place, if you ask me.
He should be light-hearted like Banjo I think.
Nontheless I still like CBFD/CL&R, but sometimes I feel like the scenarios are a little over the top. :)

Piet

Postby Piet » Tue May 12, 2015 1:55 pm

Pgcrooner wrote:I tried recreating the windmill level of twelve tales on project spark. I even edited conker's appearance to look like his conker64 version.

Do you have a gameplay video of that? :)

Pgcrooner

Postby Pgcrooner » Tue May 12, 2015 2:07 pm

Piet wrote:
Pgcrooner wrote:I tried recreating the windmill level of twelve tales on project spark. I even edited conker's appearance to look like his conker64 version.

Do you have a gameplay video of that? :)

Not at the moment no, but it never occurred to me to upload footage :P

I made it a basic map with acorn collect-a-thon elements. I made the evil acorn eenemies, Birdie has a pumpkin head, and there is an incomplete Berri model i was making.

Honestly I'm hoping someone more ambitious and more familiar with building can add and improve it via community editing.

I believe it's called conker64 windmill demo.

Chrysalis_Blossom

Postby Chrysalis_Blossom » Tue May 12, 2015 4:33 pm

Not to mention that their scribes section is as alive as their old IPs.

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Tue May 12, 2015 5:10 pm

The whole reason they changed it was because Banjo could fill the child friendly 3D platformer demand, which he very well still can.
DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

Piet

Postby Piet » Tue May 12, 2015 7:34 pm

GrayMagicΓ wrote:The whole reason they changed it was because Banjo could fill the child friendly 3D platformer demand, which he very well still can.

You're 100% right, but I think another character doing it also, wouldn't (have) hurt anybody or anything.
Conker didn't sell very well and I think that would've been really different if they released Twelve Tales around the time they released BK.

Maybe Conker even would've taken Banjo's place in the spotlight. Not that that's something I would've wanted or want now.

I just want to LOVE some other Rare character/game like I love Banjo & Kazooie.

I have really high hopes for Rare's announcement at the upcoming E3. :)

Camouflage

Postby Camouflage » Wed May 13, 2015 3:03 am

I understand and respect your opinion, but I, personally, disagree. Whereas I would like to play Twelve Tales: Conker 64 as it was originally intended, I would much rather play Conker's Bad Fur Day.

I see the appeal in having a cutesy, platforming, cartoon squirrel being cigar-toting, gun-blazing, and foul-mouthed. The appeal is shock value multiplied by juxtaposition. However, the appeal for me doesn't stop there. Conker's Bad Fur Day is rife with many qualities you never saw in games at the time -- some of which are still, erm, rare:
• Countless movie parodies
• Meta humor
• Breaking the fourth wall
• Incorporating numerous gameplay genres
• Creative, unique multiplayer modes
• Breaking normal gameplay conventions (playing the players' expectations)
• The off-color humor

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Wed May 13, 2015 9:54 pm

I watched twelve tails footage on YouTube before. I'm glad they changed it cause it's too cute and innocent, also looked way too simple.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Wed May 13, 2015 10:29 pm

Scrubber wrote:I watched twelve tails footage on YouTube before. I'm glad they changed it cause it's too cute and innocent, also looked way too simple.

Yeah, me too. I guess after an hour, my eyes and ears would've been bleeding if they left it like that :lol:

Pgcrooner

Postby Pgcrooner » Thu May 14, 2015 1:06 am

You never know, PLaytonic might make a character inspired by this version of conker. It probably would be a top down isometric platformer like pocket tales though =P

moritasan2040

Postby moritasan2040 » Thu May 14, 2015 9:06 am

They could potentially make it about a younger Conker, yeah?

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Thu May 14, 2015 9:44 am

moritasan2040 wrote:

They could potentially make it about a younger Conker, yeah?

I prequel could be a great idea, where he's mischievous, badly behaved and up to no good but not necessarily drinking smoking swearing etc.

Pisuke85

Postby Pisuke85 » Sat May 16, 2015 3:45 pm

I think a lighthearted Conker game targeted at a family audience could have made it on N64, pretty as much as Pocket Tales did on GB. But because of its action-based gameplay in early prototypes, it may have been overshadowed by the wider range of abilities and transformations the player can achieve in the Banjo games. Therefore a new direction was necessary. I'm glad they followed it, as it ended up with one of the most technically advanced N64 games with a number of impressive effects.

Return to “Past Glories”