What did you think of Nuts and Bolts?

Reminisce over some of the past wares you remember fondly.
Rawk

Re: What did you think of Nuts and Bolts?

Postby Rawk » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:54 am

Vehicles feel more at home in Banjo when you realize his first-ever appearance was inside of one with Diddy Kong Racing (and to date has actually had more appearances inside vehicles than without). I actually played Nuts & Bolts as if it were a quasi-DKR sequel and things felt surprisingly at home. The fantastic hub was now an even more fantastic hub (with the same style of unlockable level doors), the "collectathon racer" premise now extended to all sorts of vehicular challenges, and instead of three different vehicles you now had, well...millions.

When I see Nuts & Bolts, I see what easily could have been a third or fourth "experimental" Diddy Kong Racing sequel had Rare stayed with Nintendo. Replace L.O.G. with Taj, replace Gruntilda with Wizpig, and replace Trophy Thomas with T.T. BECAUSE THEY HAVE THE SAME INITIALS AND EXACT SAME FUNCTION JESUS CHRIST

The-Ejj

Postby The-Ejj » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:24 am

In this thread I'm seeing a lot of arguments that many of friends made when the game came out. Namely that the game is a disappointment because it wasn't a platformer. I find this train of thought incredibly fallacious.

Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts is an amazing game. It's mechanically sound and unbelievably unique, the controls and physics of it felt great, it paces fairly well (better that Banjo-Tooie even), and it was artistically and graphically amazing. On top of that, it's a great Banjo-Kazooie game. All of the characters retained their quirks and personality traits, the dialogue and situations are all of the same vein as those from the other two (not counting the GBA game), and it's aesthetic mostly carried over from two generations.

People seem to mistake "not a platformer" for being an inherently negative trait. It's sad that Banjo-Threeie never did, and never will come out, but I find it even worse that the community took its disappointment out on Nuts & Bolts. Everyone seemed so quick to dismiss it, and the sales suffered from that. Now we not only don't have Banjo-Threeie, we also don't have Nuts & Bolts 2. There are plenty of 3D platformers out there, but I can't think of another game like Nuts & Bolts.

If the game is honestly not your cup of tea, or not interesting to you, say that. Don't say that the game itself is bad, when clearly it isn't. Especially don't label it a bad game for poor reasons. That's an unfortunate reputation for Nuts & Bolts to have.

lavamario

Postby lavamario » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:29 am

It was ambitious, but ultimately mediocre in my eyes.

If they were trying to attract new players, I hope the vehicle creation wasn't aimed at the kiddies. Despite the building process being user friendly, the physics do everything in its power to make sure you account for every single variable a vehicle has to offer. It's not accessible, and it's also not very fun unless you get extremely attached to your vehicle and tweek it for an obscene amount of time. And even then, it is very likely to end up being a massive heap of junk compared to even the default vehicles. Wheel spacing, where weight is distributed, the power source and where it's placed, and whether your vehicle can even handle curbs or crashes without falling apart--it gives the whole process a learning curve that had no business being so demanding.

Those who put in the time might want to accuse me of not fully utilizing the physics. Well I sure might have been tempted to if an excessive chunk of those challenges were anything but repetitive, mindless or frustrating. Even if it wasn't Banjo 3, I still went into this excited to put my vehicle ideas to the test. I remember being in the creator more than the game itself, because I told myself over and over that there was no way what I felt--the feeling of fighting the game engine--was what the creators intended in these challenges. Almost none of them felt great to beat in any of the vehicles I tried, and going from one to the next back to back in these empty barren worlds eventually had me feeling like I was performing chores. The hell with heavy or weak vehicles, the hell with vehicle combat, and the hell with worthless worlds. Also, Banjo's new look is nowhere near as endearing.

As for the good:
It had insane presentation value. The opening, minus the controversial LOG line, was charming, nostalgic and incredibly polished. Spiral Mountain looked incredible (I was dying to explore it), as did the rest of the game. I bet its aged really well. The lighting, scale and art direction were truly next-level.

Also, classic Rare-humor was present in the dialogue without feeling (from what I remember) forced. And after getting over the disappointment from leaving Spiral Mountain, I was excited to explore the rich world of Showdown Town. It was full of detail and, for the briefest of moments, you could almost feel like you were exploring a platfomer's world. And messing with cops was neat.

The best thing about the game though is the godly music. The Terranium has some of my favorite tracks. It's some really great stuff, and I actively listen to it years after dropping the game.

HarmfulSpacenut

Postby HarmfulSpacenut » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:59 am

It's an okay game, but it's not a banjo game. I really think the reception would have been way better if they would have called something like Tiptups nuts and bolts

TrenteR

Postby TrenteR » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:30 pm

HarmfulSpacenut wrote:It's an okay game, but it's not a banjo game. I really think the reception would have been way better if they would have called something like Tiptups nuts and bolts

That sounds like Jontron, like exactly how he sums it up in his video about N&B.

I like your choice :D

Viellain
Location: The North American Plate on Planet Earth, part of the Solar System within the Milky Way.

Postby Viellain » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:20 pm

It isn't a true sequel, but it sure as hell is a true game being one of the most innovative games to really force you to put creation and thought into it.

The game itself is good as you have to adapt to your jiggy missions by creating something fit for the task(s) or you can just build super-awesome looking jets and cars.

NPChilla

Postby NPChilla » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:39 pm

supergardie wrote:
TrenteR wrote:You can't change a 3D platformer experience into a car game, there will be much fans who gonna dislike it.

The Mario Kart series would disagree with you. ;) Mario has branched into a bunch of genres, though, so I suppose it is an exception.

The Mario series transcends genres - Mario Kart, Mario RPG, Paper Mario and so forth are all critical and commercial hits because Nintendo's quality control is MUCH higher than Microsoft's.

As for N&B - I only played the demo. I was bored of it within minutes because there was NO sense of adventure or exploration.

John

Postby John » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:54 am

It was a disappointment after so much teasing of a new Banjo Game with HD graphics. I remember being on RWP with so many other forum users pleading with the developers to drop the concept. Sadly, this wasn't n64 Rare when you could just throw out a game and start from scratch. This was Microsoft Rare with deadlines and oversight and damn it that game was going to get released whether you like it or not.

The levels were empty. The challenges were all the same. The same characters just kept reappearing over and over.
Rarewareusedtobegood

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:08 am

Nuts and Bolts was an amazing spiritual successor to Toy Commander with a lego-like vehicle customization system that remains unmatched by any modern game today. The visuals topped anything to come on the system in the seven years after its launch, and the music consists of beautiful remixes of BK classics. My only gripes with it are the introduction, the mundane Jiggy banking system, and the levels having pointless explorable versions- after entering a door in the overworld you should have been able to select a mission from a menu.
DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:02 pm

I dont understand how people are saying "if you imagine it as NOT a Banjo game then its a fantastic game" ... it REALLY Isn't. The vehicle physics were terrible the gruntbots made the game unrealistically frustrating and the challenges were way too boring and repetative. Thats if it wasn't a banjo game, but it is a banjo game so ill add that the significantly different character designs were unwelcome, the cutscenes were very underwhelming compared to those in bk and bt, the final battle with grunty was crap, the quiz was poorly thrown in there and was nowhere near as fun as the quizzes at the end of bk and bt, the 'BANJO IS BACK' trailer we were teased with was a beautiful welcome back with a lot of promise then the game they gave us was a kick in the dick. When i was a kid i remember those awesome words "just you wait til banjo-threeie" im now 25 and STILL waiting for it.

I will say, the graphics in nutsnbolts and the updated hd spiral mountain were nothing less than stunning, the game looked and sounded brilliant. Shame the same can't be said abiut the gameplay. I spent the majority of my time platforming and seeing what high spots i could get to and take a picture. The actual challenges were too frustratingly hard and nutsandbolts actually became the first and only game i ever traded in.

Alph

Postby Alph » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:45 pm

Scrubber wrote:I dont understand how people are saying "if you imagine it as NOT a Banjo game then its a fantastic game" ... it REALLY Isn't. The vehicle physics were terrible the gruntbots made the game unrealistically frustrating and the challenges were way too boring and repetative.

The fun thing about the vehicles and the challenges is figuring out all creative ways to do them more effectively. If you just want to do the barebones minimum to get by it will get boring, but if you have a real creative drive then Nuts and Bolts is a good outlet for that.

Basically that's what people mean when they say it's not a good Banjo game. The gameplay, and what you get out of the gameplay, is radically different from the N64 Banjos. Obviously some people can enjoy both, but many people won't and it's misleading to pretend that they are the same. Had Nuts and Bolts been up front about what it was (namely by being a new IP), people who enjoy what it offers would flock to it while people who don't would know to look elsewhere.

Return to “Past Glories”