Banjo-Kazooie or Banjo-Tooie?

Reminisce over some of the past wares you remember fondly.

Banjo-Kazooie
40%
Banjo-Tooie
57%
Haven't played either
3%

Total votes: 58

Salty Joe

Postby Salty Joe » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:30 am

Which do you prefer and why?

Razer8

Re: Banjo-Kazooie or Banjo-Tooie?

Postby Razer8 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:18 am

It's pretty hard to determine which game I like best. Banjo-Kazooie was really challenging when I first play through the entire game. But when I played it the second time, I manage to beat it under nine hours. I probably could've done better if I had proficient knowledge of the game itself (talking about the final part).

Banjo-Tooie is very tough and was more adventurous than Banjo-Kazooie. I also love the fact that the game had each world connected, and it also wasn't straight forward. You had to finish minimal work and come back for the rest in order to complete one world, there were new abilities to learn, the storyline was superb, and the challenges were great. What also made the game shine was its local multiplayer that allowed players to game with friends by playing mini-games you already completed in single player mode. Going back to single player, there was even more collectable items like missing cheat pages, new moves, and three honeycombs in each world rather than two. But the biggest flaw I had with it was the God-awful framerate, which drops down to 10fps. I already know the 360 version was updates, so I may give it another chance.

But the reason why I'm favoriting Banjo-Kazooie as my favorite title is because I grew playing it a lot, framerate was fantastic, storyline was also great and humorous, and it contains most of my favorite worlds. Unlike Tooie, I wasn't huge fan of the worlds we had.

But overall, they're both great games. That was a hard decision to make, lol!
*To be updated*

Latikos

Postby Latikos » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:30 am

As much as I loved Banjo-Kazooie, to me, Banjo-Tooie takes the cake =)
I know some people think the worlds are too big but this never bothered me, I loved exploring Mayahem Temple, Terrydactyland, Hailfire Peaks etc.

The main reasons I prefer Tooie are the following :
- Interconnected worlds : I simply love the facts the worlds are interconnected and that by doing something in world A has consequences in world B (ex : breaking a rock in Cloud Cuckooland fills Dippy's pool in Terrydactyland, etc.)

- First person segments : as annoying as the can be (especially cleaning Grunty's Industry sewer from Clinkers), I loved this implementation (feeling like James Bond but with a living Breegull as a gun :lol: )

- Boss battles : To each world, its own boss and though they might not be the toughest, they still represent a challenge.

- Playing as Mumbo : even though his role was short, I loved roaming around as Mumbo, watching him cast spells and listening to his chants :D

- Humba Wumba : 'nough said! Humba's awesome :P

My only complaints : Grunty stopped rhyming :cry: (damn you Mingella and Blobbelda) and ugh... Canary Mary... (my thumb still remembers her...)

Nanirourou

Postby Nanirourou » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:56 am

It's VERY close. So close even that if you had a "I can't decide" option that's the one I'd pick.

I liked how big Tooie was and how interconnected the levels were. Going back to old worlds and noticing things you didn't know, or getting a new move and thinking along the lines of "Aha! NOW I know what to do with those Kazooie rocks in the water!" were great moments. I was truly exploring these worlds. I explored BK as well, but the one advantage BT has over BK, in my own opinion, is the larger, realer world of the Isle O' Hags. Like the aliens you save in Jolly Roger's Lagoon who then show up in Hailfire peaks?? That blew my mind as a kid!!!

BT improved on the (few) flaws on BK.
you kuh lady

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:51 am

Kazooie, by and far. The sheer amount of attention to detail in that game is astounding. Tooie is the perfect example of why bigger isn't always better.
DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:22 am

Tooie.

Took everything that was awesome about the first game but gave us much much more, which was needed because Kazooie can be completed too easily and doesn't last long.

Tooie is perfect for me its bang In the middle of Kazooie (too little) and DK64 (too much)
Last edited by Scrubber on Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Salty Joe

Postby Salty Joe » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:36 am

I played Banjo-Tooie first, before I knew it was the sequel. I grew very attached to that game and couldn't get into Banjo-Kazooie as much when I played quite a bit later.

I've played both games a lot since then though, and am currently replaying Banjo-Kazooie (which, I'm discovering, doesn't take that long!). I voted for Banjo-Tooie in this poll but we'll see what I think when I've managed to get to the end of both games.

weebbby

Postby weebbby » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:57 pm

GrayMagicΓ wrote:Kazooie, by and far. The sheer amount of attention to detail in that game is astounding. Tooie is the perfect example of why bigger isn't always better.

This I completely agree with.

Alucard

Postby Alucard » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:47 am

I really loved to collect every single note (of 100) in banjo kazooie instead of collecting nests with 5. This reduced the amount of collectables in tooie and was not so good in my opinion, but sure no game should have sooo much collectables like dk64, this was really too much, still a great game though. I think Banjo-Kazooie is a little bit better than Tooie, maybe because every world is clearly ... this is which scares me a little bit about the idea with expanding worlds in Yooka-Laylee, personally I think it would be better if there would be more worlds, as big as in Kazooie and more variety, instead of less worlds but expandable. But I think the worlds will be expandable in variety, and I really hope for it because I dont want empty open world worlds where I dont know where to go.

Preston

Postby Preston » Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:25 am

In my opinion Banjo-Tooie is wayyyyyyyyyyyy better than BK. The only things that I prefer in BK over BT is that there is no note nests in BK and Grunty rhymes. But other than that I think BT is equal or better than BK in every other way. Characters, music, level design, level size, boss battles, moves, variety, length, graphics, fluid movement, back tracking, inter connectivity, cheato's pages, transformations, klungo fights, story, hub world. Oh and Honey B. The main problem I have with Tooie though is that the final boss wasn't as good as BK

Salty Joe

Postby Salty Joe » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:57 am

Thinking about it, I think one of the amazing things about Banjo-Tooie is how different from Banjo-Kazooie it is, and how confident it is in being so. They really weren't afraid to make a game that wasn't just bigger, but also different. The way they confidently introduced new characters straight away - and chucked out Tooty, one of the important characters in the story of Banjo-Kazooie, without so much as a word - is really quite impressive. And of course they did the same thing with features - Mumbo tokens, extra lives, they just disappear. The dynamics change, considerably, but are familiar enough so that you know how to play. And they have enough confidence in the sequel that they make references to Banjo-Kazooie - including saying that you can keep all of your moves from the old game without being re-taught them.

Man, I'm looking forward to playing BT again. I'm replaying Banjo-Kazooie right now and have got two more jiggies in Click Clock Wood (including a jinjo one) and obviously the ending, then I'll start replaying Banjo-Tooie. To be clear here, I'm LOVING playing Banjo-Kazooie - I obviously value that as an incredible game which, as far as I'm concerned, has basically nothing wrong with it whatsoever.

Alucard wrote:no game should have sooo much collectables like dk64, this was really too much, still a great game though.

I did pretty much give up with that one...!

Alucard wrote:I think Banjo-Kazooie is a little bit better than Tooie, maybe because every world is clearly ... this is which scares me a little bit about the idea with expanding worlds in Yooka-Laylee, personally I think it would be better if there would be more worlds, as big as in Kazooie and more variety, instead of less worlds but expandable. But I think the worlds will be expandable in variety, and I really hope for it because I dont want empty open world worlds where I dont know where to go.

Well, what I will say is that I saw an interview with six or seven of the Yooka-Laylee developers, and they ALL preferred Banjo-Kazooie to Banjo-Tooie and said Banjo-Tooie was probably too big, and that Donkey Kong 64 was definitely too big. So I'm sure you're in luck there. They've said Yooka-Laylee is bigger than Banjo-Kazooie, but I'm sure it won't become gargantuan in the same way. I'm interested too by what they mean by expandable worlds, though.

Pisuke85

Postby Pisuke85 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:04 pm

Grunty's Furnace Fun > Tower of Tragedy
Collecting individual notes > nests
The framerate never drops in BK > sometimes in BT
Also, too many kind of eggs in BT just blew my mind. To find out that spider webs in BK were to be blasted by eggs was enough for me.
For all those reasons, I generally prefer BK, even though both are great.
Perhaps the latter have better music.

Salty Joe

Postby Salty Joe » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:26 pm

Pisuke85 wrote:Perhaps the latter have better music.

Agreed, Banjo-Tooie's music is great and I love the variety of how it changes in different areas - more so than in Banjo-Kazooie.

I've finished replaying Kazooie and have just started replaying Tooie. I'm loving how joined-up the worlds are and enjoying it a lot so far. I must admit, the worlds feel 'emptier' in a way despite being bigger, but that's because in Banjo-Kazooie it was all crammed in together. But they certainly don't feel 'empty'! :)

wwwarea

Postby wwwarea » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:43 am

I don't understand why some people say Tooie's levels are 'too big'.
Like what do they mean? Perhaps they didn't mind being bigger, but got 'too wide'?
By the way, can someone please send me a link to the interview where Grant talked about the levels in BT?

I honestly never liked the idea of Banjo Kazooie's world design over Tooie. I mean I don't dislike them, but I really love how Banjo Tooie opened up, had areas that went very far out, etc. And because of that, I loved it more.
While Banjo Kazooie mostly felt very 'closed', 'separated', etc. And I do not agree that Banjo Tooie effected the genre in a bad way I think.

Even Banjo Kazooie had a couple of levels being more bigger, especially the last world. If you think about it and look at the art work (Mines) originally planned for Banjo Kazooie (but canceled and later used in Banjo Tooie), perhaps Banjo Kazooie's worlds was originally going to get very big with the original plan with Banjo Kazooie (All both levels in it?) which is probably why CCW was so big.

Of course, some people are the opposite of me, or somewhat, but I do hope both fans can get level designs they want. XD

Rarefreak

Postby Rarefreak » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:39 am

I'm gonna give another vote to Banjo-Tooie. I thought the worlds in Banjo-Tooie were a great size. It really felt like an adventure. I also don't get how people can call Banjo-Tooie's worlds empty; the worlds were big yet there was always something important in every location. I guess it felt empty compared to Banjo-Kazooie, but I felt that everything was too close together.

I will say though that bigger isn't always better; Donkey-Kong 64 had big worlds too, but some levels were poorly designed. I think that Banjo-Kazooie was much more of a platformer while Banjo-Tooie was much more of an exploration-adventure game. From what we know about Yooka-Laylee, it sounds like their going for a nice mix of the genres, I can't wait to see how it turns out.

ericcole_hn

Postby ericcole_hn » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:08 pm

Banjo Tooie wins!
Boss Battles!!! They're important! Great battles are too important in the games!
Old Moves and new moves!
Big Worlds! With a lot of things to do!
A lot of secrets!
Funny Moments with a lot of characters:
Mumbo! Jamjars! the Witches! etc!

bigfanofoldrare

Postby bigfanofoldrare » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:15 am

Both, but let me explain why..

When i was younger , let say under 10 , i played banjo kazooie and i finished it at 100% or well close of that..

in the same time or almost, i also played banjo-tooie.. i loved it a lot , but i finish like at 50% because i find it hard..

but, i play back banjo-tooie when i was over 16 years.. and i finish it at 100% .. and i really liked it..

so for me.. banjo-kazooie is more fun for under 10 years.. and banjo-tooie is more fun for person having 15 years or more...

but i enjoyed both a ton , at everywhere age.. so for me , i can choose any of them lol ..

:D i can't wait to play yooka-laylee, i am making dream recently about the game... i never waited a game like that in the 10 last years or more.. i already precommand my game in shop , and i will get it the first day :)

djfuts

Postby djfuts » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:48 am

Kazooie is just simply brilliant. It is in the simplicity of the gameplay and the brilliantly designed manageable levels that do it for me. Tooie is a great game but hard to know the levels inside out, could easily run around for an hour or two without a guide and not know what to do next. I feel it lost a little of its spirit in that regard, wasn't as into the characters. Bigger is not always better imo.

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:53 am

Hardest choice in my life.

But ultimately Kazooie for the reason it was the base for Tooie. Tooie had better gameplay on all fronts (save for a few) for sure but Kazooie was most memorable and inspiring for me! That made my decision.

Gruntilda battle was way better in Kazooie
Than Tooie as well <3 a truly epic ending.

Pre- final boss quiz from kazooie had way more attention than in Tooie.
Stop picking your nose Image

Yoshi

Postby Yoshi » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:30 am

In my opinion this is no contest, Kazooie wins on all levels. The level design is just perfect all around, super tight, carefully crafted, absolutely not fluff. Tooie has a lot of stretches where nothing of relevance can be found and Tooie is quite complicated. Kazooie is a perfect game, Tooie is just a great one.

Return to “Past Glories”