Donkey Kong 64 Worlds

Reminisce over some of the past wares you remember fondly.

Favorite Donkey Kong 64 World

Jungle Japes
5
17%
Angry Aztec
3
10%
Frantic Factory
4
14%
Gloomy Galleon
0
No votes
Fungi Forest
9
31%
Crystal Caves
3
10%
Creepy Castle
5
17%
 
Total votes: 29

Pantherpro22
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:15 pm

Donkey Kong 64 Worlds

Postby Pantherpro22 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:30 pm

What is your favorite level? Comment below and vote in the pole. My favorite level was Fungi Forest, and Creepy Castle was a close second.

NPChilla
Posts: 453
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:58 pm

Re: Donkey Kong 64 Worlds

Postby NPChilla » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:16 pm

Jungle Japes. It was thrilling the first time I saw it.

User avatar
Rueckkoppler
Posts: 1039
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:22 pm

Re: Donkey Kong 64 Worlds

Postby Rueckkoppler » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:09 pm

Screw Angry Aztec and Gloomy Galleon, they were so confusing (for completionists) :cry: They weren't terrible, but not much fun either. My vote Fungi Forest on the other hand was pure magic and I loved wandering through it.

User avatar
BanjoThreeie
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:21 pm

Re: Donkey Kong 64 Worlds

Postby BanjoThreeie » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:43 am

Creepy Castle because of how epic and climactic it was.

WyvernWings
Posts: 169
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:32 pm

Re: Donkey Kong 64 Worlds

Postby WyvernWings » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:34 am

Fungi Forest. Any game that has a level with a day & night feature would be my favourite. Wonderful soundtrack as well.

I also love Angry Aztec, because:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMTSdS1yZiE

User avatar
Xenoka
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:37 am
Location: Ameriduh

Re: Donkey Kong 64 Worlds

Postby Xenoka » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:03 am

Crystal Caverns. It had my favorite song and I think it had the least barrels in the game. Most of the bananas were actual challenges within the game world like banjo and didn't rely on just pressing a button and then jumping in a barrel to beat a minigame. I personally think it was the most well thought out level in that regard. I also just liked the atmosphere :D

User avatar
Wolfen
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:05 am

Re: Donkey Kong 64 Worlds

Postby Wolfen » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:11 pm

Why isn't Hideout helm on the list? Anywho, my vote goes to Angry Aztec.

Pantherpro22
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:15 pm

Re: Donkey Kong 64 Worlds

Postby Pantherpro22 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:02 pm

Wolfen wrote:Why isn't Hideout helm on the list? Anywho, my vote goes to Angry Aztec.


I didn't put it on the list because it didn't have colored bananas to collect

User avatar
Xellos
Posts: 787
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:23 pm
Location: Now that's a secret!
Contact:

Re: Donkey Kong 64 Worlds

Postby Xellos » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:38 pm

Creepy Castle. I've always liked horror levels the most in the classic Rareware games. After that, forest themed levels.

User avatar
Scrubber
Posts: 1375
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:33 pm

Re: Donkey Kong 64 Worlds

Postby Scrubber » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:04 am

Jungle japes cause it's the only one thats not confusing as f*ck.

Also the music.

mickeythelegend
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:44 am
Contact:

Re: Donkey Kong 64 Worlds

Postby mickeythelegend » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:50 pm

Jungle Japes. Like others, level confusion is frustrating for the other levels, much like levels in Banjo-Tooie
DK. Donkey Kong. DK. Donkey Kong is here. :D

User avatar
UnholySanctuary
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri May 15, 2015 5:10 am
Location: California, U.S.

Re: Donkey Kong 64 Worlds

Postby UnholySanctuary » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:24 am

It's hard to pick a favorite, as they were all great for their own reasons. Every world, for the most part, was unique and gives me a jolt of nostalgia just thinking of them. The only exception being Gloomy Galleon and, judging by the poll results at the time of this post, everyone agrees lol.

User avatar
MrYoyoyigitiyo
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:38 pm

Re: Donkey Kong 64 Worlds

Postby MrYoyoyigitiyo » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:08 pm

As much as I love Frantic Factory, Creepy Castle, and (as frustrating as it was) Chrystal Caves, Fungi Forrest is the best level in the game! Amazing music, beautiful level design, unique level mechanics, etc. Fungi Forrest was a masterpiece!
Today's Specials
--------------------
Salty Dumplings-$3
Toad in the Hole-$4
Seaman's Surprise-$5

Ithynos
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 7:42 pm

Re: Donkey Kong 64 Worlds

Postby Ithynos » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:14 pm

While it is indeed hard to pick one, I too voted for Fungi Forest's frolics: the day-night-change, unique ideas, wonderful music in a picturesque surrounding.

And it was originally intended for Banjo-Kazooie, after all :D

User avatar
RustyRick
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:27 pm
Location: Netherlands, Deest
Contact:

Re: Donkey Kong 64 Worlds

Postby RustyRick » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:34 pm

I voted for Crystal Caves because while at the start it is pretty darn annoying to dodge those stalactites that one gigantic viking Kremling keeps whacking down until you get rid of him permanently, I honestly adore the music the most out of all the worlds the game has to offer. Grant Kirkhope really knows how to put up a ambient score for the games he's involved in, and to me honestly, Crystal Caves itself wasn't that gigantic of a landscape like Angry Aztec/Fungi Forest was, or a big tunnel maze like Frantic Factory had me running around for quite some time.

It had a few frustrating challenges as well like the notorious rotating spike maze in DK's igloo section, and the 2nd beetle race with Lanky, but generally I really enjoyed this stage alot.

User avatar
MrYoyoyigitiyo
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:38 pm

Re: Donkey Kong 64 Worlds

Postby MrYoyoyigitiyo » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:11 pm

RustyRick wrote:I voted for Crystal Caves because while at the start it is pretty darn annoying to dodge those stalactites that one gigantic viking Kremling keeps whacking down until you get rid of him permanently, I honestly adore the music the most out of all the worlds the game has to offer. Grant Kirkhope really knows how to put up a ambient score for the games he's involved in, and to me honestly, Crystal Caves itself wasn't that gigantic of a landscape like Angry Aztec/Fungi Forest was, or a big tunnel maze like Frantic Factory had me running around for quite some time.

It had a few frustrating challenges as well like the notorious rotating spike maze in DK's igloo section, and the 2nd beetle race with Lanky, but generally I really enjoyed this stage a lot.


That's interesting, you saying that. I got through Frantic Factory quite quickly (other than the arcade game) but I've never done so many circles around one level in my life than in Chrystal Caves! I love the level but it was by far the hardest and longest of levels for me. (unintended sex joke)
Today's Specials
--------------------
Salty Dumplings-$3
Toad in the Hole-$4
Seaman's Surprise-$5

User avatar
RustyRick
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:27 pm
Location: Netherlands, Deest
Contact:

Re: Donkey Kong 64 Worlds

Postby RustyRick » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:00 pm

MrYoyoyigitiyo wrote:
That's interesting, you saying that. I got through Frantic Factory quite quickly (other than the arcade game) but I've never done so many circles around one level in my life than in Chrystal Caves! I love the level but it was by far the hardest and longest of levels for me. (unintended sex joke)


Well, upon thinking back on Frantic Factory more in-depth after reading this, it wasn't that confusing in the long run since the area's connected by the pipes thankfully don't look the same, but walking from one tunnel to the other takes a bit of time, especially when you're going about collecting all the different-colored banana's with each Kong.

As for the difficulty itself, Frantic Factory isn't that hard for the most part. The only parts I legitimately had trouble with like you stated was the 2nd attempt at the DK arcade game for the Nintendo coin and the main big engine room after you activate it, because it has alot of precise platforming segments to it, and it's a LOOONG way down. :x At least if you made it to the teleport panel you could warp back up to the highest point, but it's still pretty nerve-wrecking to do this.

User avatar
MrYoyoyigitiyo
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:38 pm

Re: Donkey Kong 64 Worlds

Postby MrYoyoyigitiyo » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:19 am

RustyRick wrote:
MrYoyoyigitiyo wrote:
That's interesting, you saying that. I got through Frantic Factory quite quickly (other than the arcade game) but I've never done so many circles around one level in my life than in Chrystal Caves! I love the level but it was by far the hardest and longest of levels for me. (unintended sex joke)


Well, upon thinking back on Frantic Factory more in-depth after reading this, it wasn't that confusing in the long run since the area's connected by the pipes thankfully don't look the same, but walking from one tunnel to the other takes a bit of time, especially when you're going about collecting all the different-colored banana's with each Kong.

As for the difficulty itself, Frantic Factory isn't that hard for the most part. The only parts I legitimately had trouble with like you stated was the 2nd attempt at the DK arcade game for the Nintendo coin and the main big engine room after you activate it, because it has alot of precise platforming segments to it, and it's a LOOONG way down. :x At least if you made it to the teleport panel you could warp back up to the highest point, but it's still pretty nerve-wrecking to do this.


I remember that platforming part looking back and I actually agree that part was a real pain! I think one of the problems I had with Chrystal Cave is that I was forced to play the emulator version because my N64 is with my sister. On the latest version of the Project 64 emulator there's a glitch where the timer is slightly sped up. Since there are so many places where there was a timer in that level I had a lot of trouble. In fact, there's a banana in the game that's impossible to get in the latest version of Project 64 because there's literally not enough time to get it. I had to temporarily install an earlier version of the emulator just so I could get that banana lol.
Today's Specials
--------------------
Salty Dumplings-$3
Toad in the Hole-$4
Seaman's Surprise-$5

User avatar
RustyRick
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:27 pm
Location: Netherlands, Deest
Contact:

Re: Donkey Kong 64 Worlds

Postby RustyRick » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:55 am

MrYoyoyigitiyo wrote:
I remember that platforming part looking back and I actually agree that part was a real pain! I think one of the problems I had with Chrystal Cave is that I was forced to play the emulator version because my N64 is with my sister. On the latest version of the Project 64 emulator there's a glitch where the timer is slightly sped up. Since there are so many places where there was a timer in that level I had a lot of trouble. In fact, there's a banana in the game that's impossible to get in the latest version of Project 64 because there's literally not enough time to get it. I had to temporarily install an earlier version of the emulator just so I could get that banana lol.


Ah, gives me more insight on the difficulty itself you have with the world. I usually don't play emulated games unless there's no legitimate way for me to do so, since playing it on a console is usually the way to go for me. Can you by any chance remember which banana it was that was litterally impossible to get on emulator?

But another world I do like as well was Fungi Forest, as the environment of that world is pretty nice and relaxed, and it was apparently originally intended for Banjo-Kazooie. I'd assume a similar day/night system was going to be implemented for that world and having some restricted area's you could only visit during day/night as well.

User avatar
MrYoyoyigitiyo
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:38 pm

Re: Donkey Kong 64 Worlds

Postby MrYoyoyigitiyo » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:49 pm

RustyRick wrote:
MrYoyoyigitiyo wrote:
I remember that platforming part looking back and I actually agree that part was a real pain! I think one of the problems I had with Chrystal Cave is that I was forced to play the emulator version because my N64 is with my sister. On the latest version of the Project 64 emulator there's a glitch where the timer is slightly sped up. Since there are so many places where there was a timer in that level I had a lot of trouble. In fact, there's a banana in the game that's impossible to get in the latest version of Project 64 because there's literally not enough time to get it. I had to temporarily install an earlier version of the emulator just so I could get that banana lol.


Ah, gives me more insight on the difficulty itself you have with the world. I usually don't play emulated games unless there's no legitimate way for me to do so, since playing it on a console is usually the way to go for me. Can you by any chance remember which banana it was that was litterally impossible to get on emulator?

But another world I do like as well was Fungi Forest, as the environment of that world is pretty nice and relaxed, and it was apparently originally intended for Banjo-Kazooie. I'd assume a similar day/night system was going to be implemented for that world and having some restricted area's you could only visit during day/night as well.


https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g5vvAo9MxtQ (skip to 6:42 to find the impossible banana. People literally complain about it in the comments too lol) Environment-wise Chrystal Caves is my favorite level. I still have yet to play another level like it from any game! It's so beautiful but extremely unpredictable. And I agree, Fungi Forrest is my personal favorite level. In fact, as much as I love Banjo Kazooie/Tooie, I think DK64 has my favorite levels in general
Today's Specials
--------------------
Salty Dumplings-$3
Toad in the Hole-$4
Seaman's Surprise-$5


Return to “Past Glories”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests