What's Your Favourite Donkey Kong Game?

Reminisce over some of the past wares you remember fondly.

What's your favourite Donkey Kong game?

Donkey Kong Jungle Beat
No votes
Diddy Kong Racing
6%
Donkey Kong Country Returns
3%
Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble
6%
Donkey Kong (Gameboy)
No votes
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
16%
Donkey Kong 64
22%
Donkey Kong Country
3%
Donkey Kong
No votes
Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
44%

Total votes: 32

snoodle1

What's Your Favourite Donkey Kong Game?

Postby snoodle1 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:48 pm

GeneralWalnut

Re: What's Your Favourite Donkey Kong Game?

Postby GeneralWalnut » Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:14 pm

In order from favorite to least favorite:

-Tropical Freeze
-Donkey Kong Country Returns
-Donkey Kong Country 2
-Diddy Kong Racing
-Donkey Kong Country
-Donkey Kong
-Any of those Mario vs Donkey Kong games
-DK64

Pantherpro22

Postby Pantherpro22 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:17 am

Donkey Kong 64 by far. I never enjoyed the 2D Donkey Kong games as much. And I was never bothered by the amount of collectables in DK64.

BanjoThreeie

Postby BanjoThreeie » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:20 pm

Donkey Kong 64, but Donkey Kong Country 2 comes pretty close. I never really played DK64 as a kid for some reason, but after giving it another shot a few years ago, I fell in love with it. After playing Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie nonstop for 10 years, I guess it was a very fresh experience for me. The collectables aren't too big of a problem, but it is pretty annoying how you have to backtrack to a Kong barrel to try and get some bananas in an area that's meant for another Kong. I actually played through it again a couple months ago and 101%'d it. :D

I like Donkey Kong Country 2 a lot as well, mostly because of how artsy it is. The soundtrack for DK64 is great, but the soundtrack for DKC2 is just a masterpiece. The graphics are fantastic and have a style that no other series has yet to replicate, and the level and world designs are wonderfully crafted.

RustyRick

Postby RustyRick » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:35 am

My personal favorite DK game is without a doubt DKC2: Diddy's Kong Quest.

Back when I played this game initially, I only managed to get as far as to the 2nd lava world, Crocodile Cauldron, specifically the Red-Hot Ride stage with the air balloons needed to get across the lava because I was like 6 back then and didn't know a thing about physics, so I kept dying in the lava.

Years later when I re-attempted it and got smarter to clear it, I started to appreciate the game much more. I loved the difficulty balance, the soundtrack and just the whole experience of playing the whole game. I was even further amazed back then that collecting all of the bonus Kremkoins actually yielded a bonus ending for going through the difficulty of hunting them all down and the Lost World stages, which upon looking back to DKC1 now, was a much better incentive to do rather than just getting slgihtly alternate text from Cranky.

I still listen to some of the SPC tunes composed for this game such as Stickerbrush Symphony which I bet is a big favorite amongst fans of the series, Forest Interlude for the spooky wood stages and Mining Melancholy for the mine shaft ones. David Wise really outdid himself on this one.

DKC3 while also pretty well-made in terms of gameplay and difficulty, I found the music much more ambient and personally I like the Nuts and Bolts track in the factory the most. Overall still a great game, but I can fully understand why DKC2 was the most well-received.

I played DK64 as well, and I liked the worlds and a good deal of the puzzles and challenges, but treading back to formerly explored area's with another Kong just for banana's/coins was a bit cumbersome, as well as certain minigames, but I explained that beforehand.

UnholySanctuary

Postby UnholySanctuary » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:58 am

DKC2 for me. Not knocking any of the others, but DKC2 was the first that I actually owned and spent many days as a kid playing it, despite renting the original week after week at the video store. DK64 was also another good one. Haven't 101%'ed it, but appreciate how much gameplay Rare jammed into one cartridge.

But despite having to pick a favorite, the margin between each game is super slim ;) .

ShanPen

Postby ShanPen » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:50 pm

RustyRick wrote:My personal favorite DK game is without a doubt DKC2: Diddy's Kong Quest.

I still listen to some of the SPC tunes composed for this game such as Stickerbrush Symphony which I bet is a big favorite amongst fans of the series

I was just about to say how the "Bramble Blast" level music is really good too, until I looked it up (to double check I got the right level) and learned that the music is actually called "Stickerbrush Symphony" :lol: . I sometimes listen to it on loop for ages because it's such a beautiful piece of music. There's even a 10 hour loop of it up on YouTube :shock: :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mBnxVgzcY4

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:14 pm

The original DKC for nostalgia reasons. Love the game, love the music. Takes me right back to my childhood. Where the magic began.

DKC 2 and 3 are also top notch games, not a bad word to say about them.

DK64 has great characters and great music and I DO hold a special place for it BUT the level designs are a bit poo-poo and the game is too difficult at times and stupidly boring with the awkwardly unobtainable collectibles.

DKR. Not really a Donkey Kong game but heyho, great music, fun gameplay, a bit too difficult.

Tropical freeze was a very good game and an improvement on Returns in terms of characters, gameplay, visuals and the removal of motion controls.

Returns was a cool game, pretty enjoyable. Marks deducted for the removal of Kremlins, bongo drum enemies with no personalities, lack of a plot, and forced motion controls.

Jungle Beat WAS fun but... gimmicks are a no no for me. I feel the character of Donkey Kong and his world took a step backwards with this game. He needed rare to keep him truly alive.

Donkey Kong. I can play it but I have 0 interest in arcade games. This was before Donkey Kong became something special.

Barrel Blast. Utter shite. Didn't work properly and I HATE motion controls. This one got traded in.

lebowski

Postby lebowski » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:06 pm

Game & Watch - Donkey Kong 2 :P

Ciro

Postby Ciro » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:06 pm

The ones I played in my childhood: DK64 and DKC (gbc)

Yes, I prefer the gameboy color version even when playing on an emulator. Isn't that strange?

Other than that, DKC2, DKC3, DKR and DKTF are pretty good games too.

NPChilla

Postby NPChilla » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:52 pm

Shout out to Donkey Konga.
It was quirky, mad and amazing on multiplayer.

EekumBokum202

Postby EekumBokum202 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:21 am

I'm going to say Tropical Freeze. I thought the levels were great, playing as Donkey, Diddy, Dixie, or Cranky Kong was cool, the bosses were nice and varied (though the final boss was a bit of a disappointment), and it all just looked great! Oh, and of course Dave Wise's music is as excellent as ever!

I guess DKCR would come after that. As for the original DKC trilogy, I think the first is a straight-up classic, Diddy's Kong Quest is probably the best of the three, but I have a personal fondness for Dixie Kong's Double Trouble. I've barely played DK64, the Mario vs. Donkey Kong games were better when it was just Mario against Donkey Kong and the Mini-Marios didn't take over everything, the Game Boy Donkey Kong was a great expansion of the original Donkey Kong, while the original Donkey Kong is... well, it's an important piece of Nintendo's history, not much I can say that hasn't already been said.

Pgcrooner

Postby Pgcrooner » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:12 pm

Okay, this is from favorite to least favorite.

Donkey kong country 2
Donkey kong country: Tropical Freeze
Donkey Kong country
Donkey kong country returns
DK64 when NOT trying to get everything
DKC3
Diddy kong racing
DONKEY KONG JUNGLE CLIMBER
DK JUNGLE BEAT
DK KING OF SWING
Mario vs. Donkey kong

Never played donkey konga

ericcole_hn

Postby ericcole_hn » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:46 pm

1. DKC1
2. DK64
3. DKC2
4. DKC3
5. DKCR
6. DKCTF

Piet

Postby Piet » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:18 am

DKC2

Return to “Past Glories”